Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2016 8:20 AM

Nov 2016
I remember seeing at a forum post about why people liked villains, I found this question weird because I always enjoyed a series villain more than the hero. Villains are usually more interesting than the heros, they are the ones that set the events in the story, the ones that feel so strongly about something that they are willing to go outside the bounds of society and the law to create change, were as heros can only correct the change. Villains act while heros only react. Villains make or break a show. You can see this in this year's Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress it was cool show the animation was beautiful, the soundtrack fit the show, the concept was good; so how come a lot of people didn't like the show? It was because the villian was bad, Biba wasn't a character he was a plot device. And with his entry to the show he drag everybody down with him Ikuma went form shy and misunderstood hero to just a plain old hero and Mumei from badass zombie killer to a plain old damsel in distress. Bad villains do this all the time were great villian enhance a show, for example Yoshikage Kira in Jojo's Diamond is Unbreakable he wasn't the stock template bad guy, Kira didn't have any plans to take over the world or anything like that, he just wanted to live a quiet and normal life with the exception that he has a habit of murdering woman and taking there hands. Kira was an actual character that had depth to him, but not only that he is sort of relatable (when you take away the murdering part) he actually feels real. He isn't just a random plot device to overcome, he is a character with thoughts, emotions, and drive; he propels the show and that is something a good villain always does. So why shouldn't people like them? What are your thoughts? Do you have any other examples of villains dragging down a show? Or villians enhancing a show?
Dec 26, 2016 8:54 AM

Oct 2013
@RagingDominican I don't really have anything to add I just want say you made a good point and I feel you explained yourself very well
Dec 26, 2016 9:54 AM

Feb 2015
I guess people don't like antagonist because they like the protagonist better. To expand this, other series, makes characters a foil, in which, they have aspects to themselves that breaks their actions towards something. Like, in DN, the antagonist and the protagonist is a foil character, they have differences that people like or dislike.

In what I think, I don't really care about it, I never really enjoyed such series, with so much into it. Stuff that will make you think outside of the box, characters with realism embedded to it, motives that breaks a "realistic character" from "unrealistic character". I just kinda like enjoy shows from what it brings. I've never really bothered by it, and I kinda think about it when you made this thread...xD

EDIT: Ohh shit, the definition of foil character, are in viewers can contrast characters from their action/likes/looks/motives, they can also have similarities, but a foil characters are distinguishable because of their similarities. Mhhh... I've you've seen, Hamlet, Prince Hamlet and Prince Fortinbras is a foil. I mean, Prince Hamlet is a foil to Prince Fortinbras. Is one way to look at it.
Dec 26, 2016 9:59 AM

Jul 2016
I simply like interesting characters. If they have a reason for their villainy that surpasses the main character, then I'd care about the villain more.
Dec 26, 2016 11:07 AM

Feb 2013
you shouldn't take rebornnora's threads too seriously..

and reply directly to him instead of making a new thread thats pretty much a response to that thread
Dec 26, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2016
In most cases I actually prefer the antagonist to the protagonist. I think a good main villain can really make an anime instantly better, sometimes a shitty villain can make me lose interest.

I personally liked Wrath from FMAB and Judar from Magi.
Dec 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Nov 2016
The story is usually dependent of the current villain(s). When he/she's good, the story is also good most of the time. Wonder why X sucks? Maybe the villain sucks. Or it can be other reasons, it can be both.
Dec 26, 2016 1:29 PM

Sep 2012
Soooo you saw a post.Then decided to create a topic to wirte your answer and basically you are asking the same question because there should be a discussion.

Huh.
Dec 26, 2016 6:37 PM

Jun 2014
Oh man formatting my dude, do you know it?
Dec 26, 2016 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
I have many examples of shows with villains enhancing them. Madoka Magica, Shinsekai yori, Fate/Zero, Code Geass.
I think villains are great. I usually prefer the hero, but the villain is very important too.

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

32 by Kenzolo-folk »»
42 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

72 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
1 minute ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

76 by Bandulf »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 1 hour ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.