Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2016 1:23 PM

Jun 2010
As the title states.

I could see there are almost no superpowers on this one, but are the moves, plays, and strategies depicted in this manga realistic enough that professional teams perform them on a regular basis? Are some of its highlight plays based on real life highlights from the World Cup and other popular international leagues?

I just picked it up because I was told it could make a good women's sports anime adaptation that can compete with the likes of Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu in popularity. But what really sold me into Mai Ball is the fact that it came out just a year after Japan won the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2011 and two years after they won the Under-17 edition in 2014. In addition, Japan also made back-to-back Finals appearances in both editions of the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2015 and 2016, respectively. The senior women's team lost to the US, while the U-17 team lost to North Korea.

Japanese female youth players IRL thankfully look like your average Japanese girl, with quite a few outliers who are both pretty and skilled (2-time U-17 FW Fuka Nagano won the Golden Ball award this year, and she's actually quite the cutie off the pitch, and so is her former teammate from the 2014 team if you REALLY stretch your definition of cute, GK Mamiko Matsumoto, who won the Golden Glove award that year) so I think it is quite easy to market an anime adaptation of Mai Ball to both otakus and sports fans (anime or RL) alike.

Maybe they can pitch it like, "Look, we have cute girls playing football, but we're not doing this because we want to shit on the beautiful game; I mean, you know Japanese women are the best, right? Guess what, they are also crazy good at football IN REAL LIFE, not just in manga and anime; they're even better at it than the men if you take current World Rankings into account. So only cute girls playing football, but no superpowers, just pure mad skillz!" Japan is #8 in the FIFA Women's World Rankings, but is only #45 in the FIFA Men's World Rankings. There is considerable difference in the level of competition between the two gender divisions, but still.

Yet who knows? Maybe they can use an anime adaptation of Mai Ball to advertise the Japanese national soccer teams for the 2018 FIFA Men's World Cup, the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Thanks in advance.
ninjaluc79Dec 16, 2016 1:28 PM
Dec 16, 2016 3:18 PM

Apr 2011
idk, the main character is pretty op with the delusion no jutsu and kiss no jutsu but besides that yeah there are no super powers.
Dec 16, 2016 4:04 PM

Jun 2010
Valaskjalf said:
idk, the main character is pretty op with the delusion no jutsu and kiss no jutsu but besides that yeah there are no super powers.

We can chalk it up to perception, then. Her trance mode does remind me a lot of Kanna Aoyagi from Koe de Oshigoto. Too bad that so far as I read, Mai absolutely needs to go into BEAST MODE every game to be awesome. Not a good sign. Hopefully, the author is trying to find a way to keep her from depending too much on Kuni every time to unlock her beast mode.
Dec 17, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2011
It's a manga in the end. Some characters will inevitably be overpowered and World-Cup-Level of skill otherwise there would be no point in reading a manga where every single character is average
Dec 17, 2016 11:17 AM

Jun 2010
Valaskjalf said:
It's a manga in the end. Some characters will inevitably be overpowered and World-Cup-Level of skill otherwise there would be no point in reading a manga where every single character is average

And you know what, you're right. But it really does help that Japan is crazy good at women's football so overpowered movesets would be more acceptable in this manga than say, KnB or Haikyuu, in a sense that Japan isn't really that strong in men's basketball and men's volleyball, respectively.

TL;DR: If Japan is going to exaggerate everything in a sports manga or anime, they better make sure they play the sport at a very high level in real life. It could help if they are at least in the top 10 in the world in that particular sport.
ninjaluc79Dec 17, 2016 8:17 PM
Dec 24, 2016 2:07 AM

Jun 2010
What are your thoughts about the non-calls in the semifinal match between Kijikita and Kuryuin?
Jan 10, 2022 3:30 AM
Jan 2022
If you're searching out girl football players then Ginga e Kickoff!! Because the other only has male with girl support. (Area no Kishi additionally got girl gamers & their own soccer group with new reference as you can see however it's only for a brief at the same time as)
jdrd4ea333Jan 10, 2022 4:39 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mai Ball! Chapter 107 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2019

7 by BlitzAceSamy »»
Feb 8, 2020 11:36 PM

Poll: » Mai Ball! Chapter 96 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2018

1 by DieuMivas »»
Jun 23, 2019 12:23 PM

Poll: » Mai Ball! Chapter 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2017

1 by DieuMivas »»
Jun 23, 2019 10:45 AM

Poll: » Mai Ball! Chapter 77 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2016

4 by DieuMivas »»
Jun 23, 2019 7:46 AM

Poll: » Mai Ball! Chapter 62 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2016

2 by DieuMivas »»
Jun 23, 2019 4:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.