Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 19, 2016 6:00 PM

Mar 2016
I have finally decided to watch this show aftter putting it off for years. However i am wondering what order i should watch it in. The "best comment" on kissanime says this:

"Anyway, I'm here to tell that Kissanime lists the series in chronological order and not in broadcast order. This means it's not listed in the order it was first aired, which makes things like general tension and pacing terrible, also ruining the sense of mystery many people watching the series love: you get the epic series finale in mid season, which makes no sense. In short, Kissanime lists both 2 season in mixed order and it makes no sense to choose this approach."

But alot of other people say i should just watch it in the chronological order instead of broadcast order. Which order do you guys think i should watch it in?

Aug 20, 2016 2:30 AM
Jun 2014
don't watch in chronological order
Aug 21, 2016 6:03 AM

Sep 2015
Trust me, if you watch in broadcast order, your rating will be 1 or 2 higher than chronological order.

terryacer said:
But alot of other people say i should just watch it in the chronological order instead of broadcast order. Which order do you guys think i should watch it in?

They're just lazy to sort out the order. Just go to list of episode in wikipedia and sort the "Kyon's order" and follow the "2009 Broadcast order" and you should be good to go.

I mean, seriously, there must be a reason why the director release the episodes in that fashion right? It's your call.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Aug 21, 2016 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
CrypticLight said:
Trust me, if you watch in broadcast order, your rating will be 1 or 2 higher than chronological order.

terryacer said:

They're just lazy to sort out the order. Just go to list of episode in wikipedia and sort the "Kyon's order" and follow the "2009 Broadcast order" and you should be good to go.

I mean, seriously, there must be a reason why the director release the episodes in that fashion right? It's your call.

2009 broadcast order? Are there two broadcast orders?
Aug 21, 2016 7:20 PM

Sep 2015
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, pretty confusing:

In 2006 (season 1), there were only 14 episodes which where released randomly (broadcast order).

In 2009 (season 2), it consists of the 14 episodes from season 1 and 14 new episodes from season 2. The director decided to release them in chronological order so some episodes from season 2 happen in between season 1. ***Most of the online websites follow this pattern and numbered them Episode 1-28.

Then, you have the DVD version. This version is in chronological order but separates both season 1 and season 2.

This image explains everything:
http://i.imgur.com/9EUSYnx.jpg
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Aug 21, 2016 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
Don't watch it at all.
Aug 21, 2016 9:33 PM

Nov 2014
Mayuka said:
Don't watch it at all.
that's not the question though
VoiddAug 21, 2016 9:48 PM
Aug 21, 2016 9:44 PM

Nov 2015
terryacer said:
I have finally decided to watch this show aftter putting it off for years. However i am wondering what order i should watch it in. The "best comment" on kissanime says this:

"Anyway, I'm here to tell that Kissanime lists the series in chronological order and not in broadcast order. This means it's not listed in the order it was first aired, which makes things like general tension and pacing terrible, also ruining the sense of mystery many people watching the series love: you get the epic series finale in mid season, which makes no sense. In short, Kissanime lists both 2 season in mixed order and it makes no sense to choose this approach."

But alot of other people say i should just watch it in the chronological order instead of broadcast order.

Which order do you guys think i should watch it in?

I definitely recommend watching it in chronicle order. I watched the series and the movie twice in both formats, which was broadcast order and chronicle order. It'd be confusing at first, but watch it in chronicle order.
Aug 21, 2016 9:51 PM

Oct 2014
Broadcast order only applies to the 1st season.

As soon as you are talking about all 28 then broadcast order is chronological per the 2009 release. So:

1st season: mixed up for the sake of having a better dramatic flow.

2nd season (including the 1st mixed in for combined 28): chronological as intended by the studio.

This is made clear by reading the synopsis for the 2009 MAL page:
    "The new episodes of the "2nd season" of Haruhi Suzumiya aired in chronological order along with the re-airing of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2006 in what is called according to Kyoto Animation: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009.

This season contains arcs that occurred chronologically in the first season and more. For complete episode information, see the More Info tab."
This whole broadcast vs. chronological nonsense should have died in 2010.

And as far as dramatic flow goes it doesn't matter because the last thing anybody will be watching will be the movie which occurs chronolgically within weeks of the TV series.
8oomerAug 21, 2016 10:10 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Sep 16, 2016 5:21 AM
Mar 2015
CrypticLight said:
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, pretty confusing:

In 2006 (season 1), there were only 14 episodes which where released randomly (broadcast order).

In 2009 (season 2), it consists of the 14 episodes from season 1 and 14 new episodes from season 2. The director decided to release them in chronological order so some episodes from season 2 happen in between season 1. ***Most of the online websites follow this pattern and numbered them Episode 1-28.

Then, you have the DVD version. This version is in chronological order but separates both season 1 and season 2.

This image explains everything:
http://i.imgur.com/9EUSYnx.jpg

whoever thought of doing that , must have been high
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.