Forum Settings
Forums

5-star rating systems? Why? What do people think about it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 29, 2016 1:41 AM

Oct 2014
Bobby2Hands said:
If X = 1-5 rating and Y = 1-10 rating then we can use this simple formula to convert X to Y

Y = X2

And I thought algebra would never come in handy.
Some people only watch anime that are already highly rated and if they rate an anime like Tokyo Ghoul, Elfen Lied, SAO, or OPM a 6 due to being mediocre and underwhelming they may not think of this as converting to a 1/5 on a 1-5 scale even though they did give them the lowest rating in their own 5 point scale. Human psychology is weird.
Jul 29, 2016 2:06 AM

May 2015
Cloud3514 said:

It's surprisingly easy to demonstrate the problems here, especially with the 100 point scale. Readers will freak the fuck out at something getting the "wrong" score, despite reviews being entirely opinion. "7.8, too much water" is a particularly egregious example. Never mind that 7.8 is no different than an 8 and had the review been an 8, the backlash would have probably never happened.

Pitchfork just got served tho

and also ign
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 29, 2016 2:51 AM

Sep 2015
What do I think? People waste too much of their own fuckin' time bitching and complaining about the way that other people rate, even when it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with them, nor does it even have the slightest semblance of an impact or effect on their life.

If it actually does, you've got some bigger fuckin' problems than someone using a 1-5 / 5-10 scale.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jul 29, 2016 5:08 AM

Feb 2013
Margarinefly said:
I come across the occasional lad or lass or whatever is in between who uses a 5-star rating system. Why doe? Is it just laziness. Like, you can't be bothered to properly and precisely define the 10 different ratings so you make the rating system smaller, thus reducing the precision and accuracy of each individual rating.

It kind of messes with the ratings that are already in place, doesn't it? You're giving objectively super bad anime 5's they obviously don't deserve, thus skewering the ratings. I don't even want to think about how much the School Days rating is inflated because of 5 star systems. It brings tears to my eyes. (like this = :'^()

Anyone wanna help me solve my deep and absolutely necessary-for-life philosophical conundrum?
Well, your list is basically a 5 point system too. Particularly if you don't include dropped anime.

In my earlier days i've had a similar rating distribution as you (perhaps less 10 but more 9), but then figured that realistically in the long run i'd have so few <6, so i decided to stop pretending it's a 10 point system and moved them all to 6, and declared a 5 point system.

Before having a MAL, i had a tier list in note pad with just 5 tiers, which i tried once to convert to a 10 point system, but ended up stratifying them by genre/length/popular opinion, so i scrapped that.

And no, meme anime, especially School Days, are not "objectively super bad".
Jul 29, 2016 6:16 AM
Jul 2013
romagia said:
Margarinefly said:
I come across the occasional lad or lass or whatever is in between who uses a 5-star rating system. Why doe? Is it just laziness. Like, you can't be bothered to properly and precisely define the 10 different ratings so you make the rating system smaller, thus reducing the precision and accuracy of each individual rating.

It kind of messes with the ratings that are already in place, doesn't it? You're giving objectively super bad anime 5's they obviously don't deserve, thus skewering the ratings. I don't even want to think about how much the School Days rating is inflated because of 5 star systems. It brings tears to my eyes. (like this = :'^()

Anyone wanna help me solve my deep and absolutely necessary-for-life philosophical conundrum?
Well, your list is basically a 5 point system too. Particularly if you don't include dropped anime.

In my earlier days i've had a similar rating distribution as you (perhaps less 10 but more 9), but then figured that realistically in the long run i'd have so few <6, so i decided to stop pretending it's a 10 point system and moved them all to 6, and declared a 5 point system.

Before having a MAL, i had a tier list in note pad with just 5 tiers, which i tried once to convert to a 10 point system, but ended up stratifying them by genre/length/popular opinion, so i scrapped that.

And no, meme anime, especially School Days, are not "objectively super bad".

I'll just agree to disagree on the objectively super bad part ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Jul 29, 2016 7:17 AM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Dimethylanime said:
Hell I need a 100 point system for the anime I watch
Why the hell do you use a 6 point scale then? If it makes you feel better you could view 1 as 55 and then increment by 5s. Boom, now you have a 100 point scale and MAL doesn't have to change any of their programming.
No, that couldn't possibly work. It just doesn't make any sense. Nope. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Goose eggs.

Actually though, I'd just feel bad if I gave the anime a low score and no one except for you and me understood the way I was rating. The struggle of being someone who feels guilty for everything
Jul 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Apr 2015
I'm always triggered when people start comparing MAL's rating system to school grading.
Jul 29, 2016 7:57 AM

Apr 2016
One said:
Margarinefly said:

It's not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything. I'm focusing more on the effect that this has on the rating's that certain shows have (I mean the averaged scores, just to clarify).

Imagine this scenario: a poor lad just got into anime. He's a newb. He finds MAL and he surfs the anime and sees a lot of talk about this anime called School Days. He looks at the rating and goes "wow a 6.40 or something. That's not too bad. I continue to watch Ben Stiller movies who get crapped on in IMBD so how bad can this be." He then watches this anime. He then kills himself. Does that not make you sad. It brings multiple tears to my eyes at least. I mean sure the suicide probably had multiple other precursors but you can't rule out the effect of shitty anime.
I'm too lazy to write anything about it.

Conclusively, you shouldn't be bothered by it. Just let School Days be what it is..

But School Days was awesome. Katsura got what she deserved, acting so innocent ajajajajaj...

Saionji was the only legit character in the show, a notoric liar who is manipulating everyone, even faking her pregnancy to get what she wants (and deserves!!111!!).
Jul 29, 2016 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
???

Just use 2-4-6-8-10 if you want your 5 star system it's not rocket science.
Jul 29, 2016 8:40 AM
Dec 2014
Nashila said:
WHEN WILL WE STOP CARING ABOUT RATING?
oh wait, we're on MAL.

Rating=other people's opinion expressed in a number

WHEN WILL WE STOP CARING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE`S OPINION AND STOP DISCUSSING ANIME
Jul 29, 2016 8:42 AM
Dec 2014
finer grained rating system is better. I use all ratings from 1-10.
Jul 29, 2016 8:54 AM

Aug 2015
plasma38 said:
Nashila said:
WHEN WILL WE STOP CARING ABOUT RATING?
oh wait, we're on MAL.

rating hold the same meaning as 1 liner buzzword. nothing more nothing less.
Jul 29, 2016 8:58 AM
Jul 2013
Nashila said:
plasma38 said:

I feel like calling something a one liner buzzword is kind of redundant. I mean most words only take up 1 line on a paper. Unless you are some monster that moves the margin on word documents to be as close together as possible. Even buzzwords can be used as a ways to understand something. In this case the rating system. Personally I understand more about myself thanks to people using various buzzwords when they describe me, such as asshole, dick or loner. So while this may be anecdotal evidence I think that buzzwords aren't necessarily bad. They offer some guidelines while still leaving room for interpretation.
Jul 29, 2016 9:03 AM

Dec 2015
I'm still wishing for .5 to be added in the rating scale. There's a significant difference between a 8 and a 8.5 for me, I don't like having to jump from 8 to 9.
Jul 29, 2016 9:06 AM
Feb 2014
>actually wanting a feature like this
hummingbird pls go
Jul 29, 2016 9:26 AM

Feb 2016
I think more people rate like 2-4-6-8-10 than 1-5 or 5-10 which is pretty much the same just less accurate than 1-10.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 29, 2016 9:30 AM
Jul 2013
Dishonest said:
I think more people rate like 2-4-6-8-10 than 1-5 or 5-10 which is pretty much the same just less accurate than 1-10.

As far as 5 rating scales go this makes the most sense to me since it utilizes most of the 10 star scale that MAL has.
Jul 29, 2016 9:37 AM

Aug 2015
Margarinefly said:
Nashila said:

I feel like calling something a one liner buzzword is kind of redundant. I mean most words only take up 1 line on a paper. Unless you are some monster that moves the margin on word documents to be as close together as possible. Even buzzwords can be used as a ways to understand something. In this case the rating system. Personally I understand more about myself thanks to people using various buzzwords when they describe me, such as asshole, dick or loner. So while this may be anecdotal evidence I think that buzzwords aren't necessarily bad. They offer some guidelines while still leaving room for interpretation.
buzzword doesn't create discussion but flame argument.
Jul 29, 2016 9:47 AM
Jul 2013
Nashila said:
Margarinefly said:

I quite enjoy having arguments over a nice flame such as a campfire. Especially in winter.

And also, isn't it fun watching people flame each other?
Jul 29, 2016 9:51 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Well, Goodeads has one, and it's good enough, but sometimes I do want to give a book a, say, 3.5 or something. Hummingbird also has one, but that does have .5 scores, so it's the same thing.
Jul 29, 2016 9:52 AM

Aug 2015
Margarinefly said:
Nashila said:

I quite enjoy having arguments over a nice flame such as a campfire. Especially in winter.

And also, isn't it fun watching people flame each other?
if your goal is shitposting, baiting and trolling, well yea ;^)
Jul 29, 2016 2:17 PM

Oct 2014
You really does not seem to understand what a 5 star rating system and it has nothing to do with the way most users everything a 5 or above
Jul 29, 2016 2:22 PM

Jul 2015
They used a 5 star rating system on the what appears to be the now defunct ratings site Rate It All, I used to rate anime series and such, yet the 1-10 system is probably better, besides RIA users seemed more interested in posting comments anyway.
Jul 29, 2016 2:37 PM
Jul 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
You really does not seem to understand what a 5 star rating system and it has nothing to do with the way most users everything a 5 or above

Instead of shitting on my knowledge why not help me improve it an actually explain what a 5-star system is?
Jul 30, 2016 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
Margarinefly said:

Anyone wanna help me solve my deep and absolutely necessary-for-life philosophical conundrum?( lol, I love your sense humor!)
That doesn't matter, it's still the same thing. See:
A half/5=1/10
3.5/5=7/10
It just looks different.
removed-userJul 30, 2016 4:33 PM
Jul 31, 2016 2:34 AM

May 2015
The great thing about a ten point system is that it's flexible, you can use it as five point system if you want and everyone's happy. Except the people who want a 10+ point system, you guys are on your own.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

76 by SwordBreaker36 »»
13 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1000 by IHaveNoLifeYada »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

27 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Today

52 by luisfunes99 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - May 4

62 by CheesyJen »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.