Forum Settings
Forums

Better rules for the Current Events board

New
Jun 18, 2016 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
Now before you all get scared at the title, let me explain my reasoning.

This is election time and things are bound to get heated. We all know this, but those that have recently browsed through Current Events will notice the high amount of topics related to politics:

Now, while everyone is free to have whatever political view they want, things are getting out of hand. There are 2 big issues I see:

First one, news reports shouldn't have heavily opinionated titles. Users should quote whatever an article says, post the source, then their opinion in order to initiate discussion. Let me take thread titles examples from the board right now:

This is good:
Trump: Obama 'was more angry at me than he was at the shooter'
ISIS Supporters Stab Transgender Man In Brussels

This is not good:
HALLELUJAH! Hillary Clinton May Finally Be Put in Prison
Hillary's "Rhetoric" Inspires Islamic Terrorism

A person can make a news thread with a source from whatever conspiracy site, spam the whole board with them and get away with it because they still quoted a source. Doing this right now, however, is all fine, since it doesn't go against the board rules:
-When creating a new thread, do not only post news articles, videos, etc. but also add your own thoughts to initiate discussion.
-If you cite a news article, please include the source.
-Do not bump threads more than two weeks old.
That's my concern, which leads me into the second major issue I see:

I contacted a mod regarding how recent news had to be, and I had no clear answer when I reported a thread from a quote a politician made several years ago. I could literally post about how the Democratic Party of America supported slavery in the 1800s and how they're terrible because I still quoted a source, I added my thoughts, and didn't bump any thread.

I could argue my way out of any of this because it's literally not in the rules. So those are my suggestions, state how recent a news report must be and don't make speculative and opinionated titles, I think impartiality is important and it would help to create actual discussion, instead of posts like "We get it OP, you don't like Muslims".

Jun 18, 2016 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
While it's not said in the rules, I've talked with Kineta in regards to dubious news sources. Users should use reliable news sources and not ones that aren't so. My major concern with is how many threads are being made for topics that don't really provide discussion and how topics being made (Lately) get 0-5 posts max and the OP himself not discussing. This leaves me to believe that any person that does this is just posting news for the sake of posting.
Jun 18, 2016 3:25 PM

Dec 2013
Tyrel said:
Users should use reliable news sources and not ones that aren't so.
What's considerable reliable or not? Every site will either lean left or right-wing and make their own interpretations based on this. What matters should be the actual facts, which is why I put the examples of thread titles in here.
Tyrel said:
My major concern with is how many threads are being made for topics that don't really provide discussion and how topics being made (Lately) get 0-5 posts max and the OP himself not discussing
And often those little 0-5 posts talk about OP's bias in favor of Trump or against Muslims.
Jun 18, 2016 3:43 PM

Jan 2012
Kyalla said:

This is election time and things are bound to get heated. We all know this, but those that have recently browsed through Current Events will notice the high amount of topics related to politics

well there's a simple solution since it's about election , everything to do with it just post in this official thread about 2016 US Presidental Election

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1379203&show=1100#post1127

Jun 18, 2016 3:59 PM

Dec 2013
AllenVonStein said:
Kyalla said:

This is election time and things are bound to get heated. We all know this, but those that have recently browsed through Current Events will notice the high amount of topics related to politics

well there's a simple solution since it's about election , everything to do with it just post in this official thread about 2016 US Presidental Election

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1379203&show=1100#post1127
True, it should all be there. But it's not enforced by mods, so at the end of the day, users will still make their own threads in order to get more attention to their specific reports.
Jun 18, 2016 4:06 PM

Jan 2012
@Kyalla well in end same thing can be said about Isis or refuges , b4 we had a lot of thread about Isis and Refuges now it's election

maybe user should post max two post in CE in day .

Jun 18, 2016 4:29 PM
Jul 2018

This idea has been done before and it almost killed CE
Jun 18, 2016 4:36 PM

Jan 2012
@Veneficia now sure what was point of posting that thread , i already know about it have u checked my post #4.

lol sometimes users don't even read and just post .

Jun 18, 2016 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
AllenVonStein said:
@Veneficia now sure what was point of posting that thread , i already know about it have u checked my post #4.

lol sometimes users don't even read and just post .

Same thing can be said about you right now
Jun 19, 2016 12:52 AM

Dec 2015
This is interesting. I yesterday made a remark about certain users being paid to do an "online election campaing" on MAL - for Donald Trump. Because of some thread at Casual Discussion and I felt that there were a lot of similar thread (but seems the others were in Events forum) in the last few days where it was pretty obvious that the OP wanted to support Donald Trump.

Now my question: What if others posted - in English of course as long as there are English news sources - stuff about elections in other countries? (And not only sometimes but really mass posting such thread)?

Probably you would even like it less because because other countries are smaller/less important then the US. (But then again this forum/company might be based in US but the users are from lots of different countries.)

I think there should be some international relevance to the news. Some "gorilla in zoo gets show because he attacked kid" should not even be posted. There might be a lot of things/similar threads that might be posted - as similar/different thread ... more as question/in a philosophical way - in Casual Discussion (not events). For example in such cases with the gorilla a thread about animal rights.

For US it would mean stuff like weapon ban or some speeches ... would not justify a thread here. Something about Donald Trump building walls (at least one other country directly affected if the wall is at the border) probably has more relevance. Guns only for US relevant. (Those guns threads in Casual Discussion are betted suited to discuss it - then for all countries world wide where people can post their view on things.)
Jun 20, 2016 8:03 AM

May 2008
I think we should just ban political discussion in general tbh. It tends to get nowhere and is just people flinging shit back and forth a lot of the time.
Jun 20, 2016 1:31 PM

Oct 2014
I would go out a limb and say why is there even a need for boards like current events on a site where most people are shut-ins :^)
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun 21, 2016 5:18 PM
Mar 2014
Zazie122 said:
I think we should just ban political discussion in general tbh. It tends to get nowhere and is just people flinging shit back and forth a lot of the time.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure that my proposing this for Casual Discussion got locked. That means it probably applies to Current Events as well.
vegetablespiritJun 21, 2016 5:22 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.