Forum Settings
Forums

Is just watching again only certain episode/episodes considered as rewatch ?

New
Jun 3, 2016 6:20 PM

Jan 2014
According to urban dictionary, rewatch means :

"A word to describe the act of re-watching an entire season/series of a television show in a short period of time, often to coincide with the premier of the newest season/episode."

I rarely rewatch an entire anime from the beginning until the end. But I often watch certain episode many times, for example HxH2011 episode 131. Or watch sequence fights or match episodes, for example Haikyuu Karasuno vs Aoba Johsai,

So is watching again only part of the series (not entirely) considered as rewatch too ?

Jun 3, 2016 6:24 PM
Jun 2016
I usually phrase it like, "I just rewatched a few episodes of dragonball z" So yes you technically rewatched it but you specify how much.
Jun 3, 2016 6:24 PM

Jun 2015
Well yeah. By virtue of the meaning of the prefix re-.
Jun 3, 2016 6:25 PM

Jul 2012
Rewatch as a concept kind of implies going over the whole series, unless you use the most literal definition of just "watching again" which could be limited to a specific arc or episode.
Jun 3, 2016 6:30 PM

Oct 2013
Why is this a question? And most importantly: who cares?
<3
Jun 3, 2016 6:32 PM

Oct 2015
Gwendolly said:

Words spoken right there.

~30wordlimit~
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 3, 2016 6:33 PM

Jan 2014
Gwendolly said:
I'm seriously asking because english isn't my first language, and there are many threads who talks about rewatch, what's the point if I don't understand "rewatch" definition.
Jun 3, 2016 6:41 PM

Oct 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Gwendolly said:
I'm seriously asking because english isn't my first language, and there are many threads who talks about rewatch, what's the point if I don't understand "rewatch" definition.

Well if you're actually serious about it, rewatch does indeed mean rewatching the whole series. In the end, it's your choice whether or not you want to add a rewatch to an anime just by rewatching 1 episode of it... But you're not being true to yourself.

I usually add a rewatch after watching the whole series or a huge chunk of it.
Ex. I rewatched HxH episodes 1-136 and added a rewatch.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jun 3, 2016 6:51 PM

Jan 2014
One said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

Well if you're actually serious about it, rewatch does indeed mean rewatching the whole series. In the end, it's your choice whether or not you want to add a rewatch to an anime just by rewatching 1 episode of it... But you're not being true to yourself.

Okay, If you talk about list, I never put anime into rewatched list.
Jun 3, 2016 6:57 PM

Oct 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
One said:

Okay, If you talk about list, I never put anime into rewatched list.

Well.. I mean, for MAL purposes, yes. Rewatch means having rewatched the whole series.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jun 3, 2016 7:37 PM

Jul 2013
Technically speaking, yeah, you rewatched a couple of episodes. But I wouldn't count that towards my rewatch total on MAL, since that would normally signify you rewatched the entire series.
Jun 3, 2016 10:20 PM

Oct 2014
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rewatch

"I’m rewatching the last two episodes tonight in preparation for tomorrow"

If Oxford's example involves watching less than the whole series then it must be acceptable. On MAL the rewatch feature adds the time of the series to your time watched which makes it hard to signify if you didn't rewatch the whole series. Some obvious problem anime would be Haruhi (2009) and Naruto. You can easily signify that you skipped the Endless Eight or Naruto's fillers on the first watch, but I don't think there's any way to show this for rewatches which can lead to incorrect stats. You can say that you've completed an anime at 6/14 episodes, but you can't say that you've rewatched that many for some reason. I also rewatched the first 15 episodes of Toradora twice, but there's no way to tell MAL this (I could count this as a rewatch for stats sake, but I didn't actually rewatch the whole series).
Jun 3, 2016 10:26 PM

Nov 2015
Here on MAL when you add 1 for rewatch it is because you rewatch the entire series just not certain episodes. Here you can fake your facts on MAL. Though you would only be lying yourself.

When you add an anime under rewatching for MAL it takes all the hours from your days that the anime added up to and adds the rewatch hours to it along with the previous amount when you have finished rewatching. I hate that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2016 12:46 AM

Apr 2010
It's a rewatch, but of certain episodes only. You can't say you rewatched is as a whole.

Jun 4, 2016 1:20 AM

May 2015
You rewatched that specific part, but you didn't rewatch the whole anime.

I like rewatching snippets here and there, but I rewatched few anime. Rewatching snippets is easier. It's like picking the best songs off an album. Every anime is a project and I don't want to waste too much time rewatching stuff when I can expose myself to new stuff.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

25 by GumGumBalls »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 6 hours ago

37 by Dumb »»
3 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

20 by mshfqtny »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you think about fetishes in anime?

Anjuro - 40 minutes ago

7 by Anjuro »»
9 minutes ago

» Would your favorite non-anime characters survive in your favorite anime?

FanofAction - Yesterday

18 by APolygons2 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.