Forum Settings
Forums

Magi syndrome - is it best not to bring up political/philosophical issues most of the time?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 24, 2016 9:50 AM

Apr 2013
Illyricus said:
Btw guys, I take advantage to this to ask if Magi is worth watching/reading. I heard it's a really good shonen with good world building and characters, so I wanna know if I should give it a try.

There is no need to ask.

Just watch it and then read the manga.
May 24, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2015
@Illyricus , you gonna watch magi too? Great. Let's simulwatch magi and Sinbad together pal
May 24, 2016 10:04 AM

Jul 2013
Well, guys, you convinced me. Tomorrow I will start the series. Thank you all for your advices ^^
May 29, 2016 1:36 AM

Aug 2015
hoopla123 said:
Illyricus said:
Btw guys, I take advantage to this to ask if Magi is worth watching/reading. I heard it's a really good shonen with good world building and characters, so I wanna know if I should give it a try.

There is no need to ask.

Should i read from the start or where the anime left off?
May 29, 2016 1:59 AM

Apr 2013
Nashila said:
hoopla123 said:

There is no need to ask.

Should i read from the start or where the anime left off?

Just read from where the anime left off and you'll be fine.
May 30, 2016 5:02 AM

Feb 2011
FloatingIdiot said:
I've watched quite a few shows but none have inspired me to write a thread like Magi.

People praise Magi for bringing up certain issues that most anime doesn't touch, but in every situation I've seen, one side is pure, dark evil. Morality is presented in a way to make you not think rather than think. The "bad" side lacks a human element with which one can try to work out an understanding why they became as they did. Sometimes you get a flashback of a dark and troubled past, but the actual descent to badness just doesn't seem plausible.

Without the political stuff, I would find the show more appealing, but due to its existence it's hard not to find the world irritating.

Do other people get annoyed by stuff like this, or do you mainly just root your heroes on against the big dark evil? I wish I could do the latter without cringing, but it's just so hard.

Maybe the question I should be asking is: is it better to touch on issues in a half-assed way or would it be better to avoid them completely?

I completely agree. I hated when shows like Naruto got preachy with philosophy and justice - it too often feels forced and not subtle. I prefer others that dont cram such values down my throat.

Fitto for politics. Like when Shingeki switched to more political things, it bored the hell out of me. I find authors do it when they are unsure how to create interesting conflict or when trying to world build, but I prefer being in the moment of the characters.
May 30, 2016 5:35 AM
Oct 2013
Dragon said:

I completely agree. I hated when shows like Naruto got preachy with philosophy and justice - it too often feels forced and not subtle. I prefer others that dont cram such values down my throat.

Fitto for politics. Like when Shingeki switched to more political things, it bored the hell out of me.

Untill here your point is perfectly valid and it´s fine to have that opinion.

Dragon said:

I find authors do it when they are unsure how to create interesting conflict or when trying to world build, but I prefer being in the moment of the characters

Here it get´s a little shacky. If you do some research you´ll notice that every single author that writes beyond the Fairy Tale territory imbeds his works at least patially with his political or philosophical opinions.
Rarely do authors actually focus on an opposing opinion and when they do it´s done for the sake of highliting the wrongs of the opposing point of view.
Never, do they not have a statement if they tell a coherent story.
Even awesome schlock like Pacific Rim or 80´s Movies like Commando can display some morality if dissected.

Masashi Kishimoto has openly declared to be a pacifist which is reflected in his work with enough content to fill a graduation paper in an art study.

Go Nagai predicated the extreme display of violence in his works as a tool too scare and alienate people from it´s usage as a resort to the solution of conflict.

The critically aclaimed Ghost in the Shell was only created to emhpasize for an hour and a half on a question Isaac Asimov brought up 70+ years ago, that plagues since then the Science Fiction genre, through heavy dialogue and exposition. Just another piece of some guy preaching some borrowed philosophy.

But people praise it to high heavens.
Why is that? Because it looks pretty and has a nice soundtrack. Execution is what mostly matters secondly the time period.
Any form of art spikes or depletes in value when the mindset of society happens to change.

IsterioMay 30, 2016 5:59 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 21 minutes ago

5 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 16 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
15 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
16 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.