Forum Settings
Forums

Are demographic "genres" being removed from listings?

New
May 18, 2016 6:33 PM

Jun 2012
I don't know if I'm imagining things, but I could swear I've seen many anime listings having had a demographic descriptor - such as shoujo - suddenly not having it anymore, and quite often at that, as of late. The one possible (I might be completely wrong about it though) example I can think of off the top of my head is Juuni Kokuki, but it feels like I've seen this frequently the last few months.
This makes me wonder if there is a 'cleaning' of sorts going on. Maybe it's normal that genre tags change and I've simply been more prone to notice that particular change?
Has anyone else noticed this?

Edit: I feel this belongs in the Myanimelist subforum rather than the Anime subforum, but none of the subforums of that subforum seemed right.
May 18, 2016 6:38 PM

Feb 2013
we can solve this scientifically

as of now, there are 36 josei, 1701 shounen, 593 shoujo and 510 seinen

mark your calendar one month from now and check again if the numbers have decreased..

yeah genres change all the time; i dont think there's a 'cleaning', but who knows... the mods might have started removing them [more actively] form light/visual novel adaptations like Juuni Kokuki.. i can also swear Fate was labeled shounen
May 18, 2016 6:40 PM

Mar 2015
juuni kokuki is not shoujo... juuni kokuki is LN adaptation, thus it doesn't have clear demographic...

demographic make generelalization if listed for genre.. demographic is simply which magizine publish it... i am honestly prefer they deleted all together, or make it accurate instead... current listing is oftenly wrong...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 18, 2016 6:44 PM

Jun 2012
romagia said:
we can solve this scientifically

Tashikani. I'll do that.
Wow, only 36 josei. But of course, as has been pointed out occasionally, demographic descriptors are not really an anime thing.
Hm, some of the fate titles are shounen last I checked, but not F/Z.
May 18, 2016 6:47 PM

Jun 2012
Kuma said:
juuni kokuki is not shoujo... juuni kokuki is LN adaptation, thus it doesn't have clear demographic...

demographic make generelalization if listed for genre.. demographic is simply which magizine publish it... i am honestly prefer they deleted all together, or make it accurate instead... current listing is oftenly wrong...

Yes yes, I agree. I think of it as a reference to what kind of magazine the original manga - if there is one - was published in.
Of course there is a such a thing as 'typical' shounen (et al.) traits, but those are far from universal for the stories that were targeted at the shounen demographic - and so on and so forth.
May 18, 2016 6:49 PM

Jun 2012
Well, in the case of Juuni Kokuki, if it ever was labelled shoujo, it would seem right that that was changed (again, I might be imagining).
May 18, 2016 6:49 PM

Mar 2015
Kidemonas said:
Hm, some of the fate titles are shounen last I checked, but not F/Z.
fate is VN adaptation... they shouldn't have manga demographic too... if anything, they would be seinen since the VN is eroge..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 18, 2016 7:48 PM

May 2008
It's probably just people going through and making sure the demographic tags are actually for things that are adapted from manga that were serialised in magazines.

They should be a separate field anyway, imo.
May 19, 2016 7:16 AM

Jun 2012
Zazie122 said:
It's probably just people going through and making sure the demographic tags are actually for things that are adapted from manga that were serialised in magazines.

They should be a separate field anyway, imo.

Yeah, that would make sense.

I agree.
May 19, 2016 1:39 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved to the Anime DB board

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

699 by SurgingSoulZX »»
3 hours ago

» Since the Yuri on Ice film was canceled but at least a PV was released, would the PV be able to be in the database?

eblf2013 - Yesterday

4 by eblf2013 »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8721 by Lezoux »»
Yesterday, 3:34 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

760 by Marids_Gift »»
May 11, 4:30 PM

» Recently found century old anime

Silverlight41 - May 8

3 by Kwanthemaster »»
May 9, 11:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.