Forum Settings
Forums

Need Help: Research on Legend of Zelda games

New
May 18, 2016 10:13 PM

Apr 2014
I need help. I'm doing an essay for university and the topic is "The Legend of Zelda and Gender Representation". I'm looking at the recent debate about Linkle and if Nintendo should include a female Link in future games. What I need is people to answer the following questions. It's a requirement for the essay. So if anyone whose a fan of the Zelda games could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What do you like about the Legend of Zelda series? Specifically, the characters.

2. Or if you don't like The Legend of Zelda series or it's characters, what is it you don't like about them?

3. If you could change anything about the characters, what would it be?

4. Some say Link as he is is pretty gender neutral already. What do you think?

5. How do you feel about the inclusion of Linkle in the spin-off Hyrule Warriors Legends?

6. What do you think of the idea that the next Zelda game could feature a more gender neutral Link or female version of him?

7. And how do you feel about gender neutrality / equality in games in general?

8. There are many games like Mass Effect that feature gender options in their games and are very story driven. Can these games or characters be compared to the characters in Zelda in any way, shape or form? How?

9. What about games like Final Fantasy where the characters are set in stone? Nothing neutral or equal about these characters. They are as they appear. Can these games or characters be compared to the characters in Zelda in any way, shape or form and how?

10. Of the two types of characters, which suits the Legend of Zelda series more?

Research Question: Is it okay for Nintendo to include a female version of Link in the Legend of Zelda video game series?
May 18, 2016 11:44 PM

Oct 2015
1. I like the games because you go on an epic adventure in it and the characters are really interesting, you get to meet all sorta of different creatures like Gorons, Dekus and Zoras, I always liked Shiek in Ocarnia of Time because she was so mysterious.

2. There isn't really too much I dislike as far as the whole franchise, I was irritated at Skyward Sword for not having a larger variety of areas to explore but as far as the whole Franchise I can't really say though I do they that they should put voice acting in it, at least in the cutscenes, Link could even stay silent if everybody wants him to but the other characters actuelly talking would be nice.

The only characters I really disliked was Navi and Especially Fi for being annoying and stating obvious stuff.

3. I never really had a problem with most of the characters, I do think that they should try to give you a good side kick, Minda and Elzo were excellent, Navi and Fi were irritating.

4. Well, technically he is male but he is pretty gender neutral as they make everything about Link's personality pretty veg

5. I don't have a problem with her.

6. I don't mind if they let you play as Linkel, I'd still choose Link though.

7. I think being able to choose what ever gender you want is good especially if it's a game like an MMRPG or something.

8. I'm not sure I haven't really played Mass Effect or stuff like it. but if the character is pretty veg their gender doesn't matter as much.

9. Well the game is trying to tell a certain story so I don't really mind that, the think about Zelda is if Link was a female it wouldn't really change anything about the game, I haven't played any Final Fantasy games (yet) but I've heard a lot of the characters have a lot of Back Story ad stuff, Zelda doesn't really have that as far as playable characters, there is a lot of lore in Zelda but you don't really need to know it to play the games. To learn about it you would need to study/research the Zelda timeline and understand each Zelda game in it.

10. I think that Link is better suited as a gender neutral character as his personality and back story is pretty veg in each game (Yeah Link has been reincarnated many times but we don't really know a ton of back story about each reincarnation, and what little backstory he has wouldn't really change if his gender was changed

Research Question: I think it's fine if they include a female version of Link, I would still play as male Link because I'm just used to it but If you got to play as a female Link it wouldn't really impact the story of the Zelda games.
May 19, 2016 4:41 PM

Oct 2015
1. What do you like about the Legend of Zelda series? Specifically, the characters.

I like that you always know generally what you can expect from the games. You play an incarnation of Link, and you set out on a quest involving dungeons, monsters, and puzzles. I like that its mystical and adventurous. I like that the characters are always designed well to be interesting and relatable or at least likable.

2. Or if you don't like The Legend of Zelda series or it's characters, what is it you don't like about them?

N/A

3. If you could change anything about the characters, what would it be?

I can't think of anyone I'd change.

4. Some say Link as he is is pretty gender neutral already. What do you think?

I don't think he's gender neutral. He's male, he's a boy, and he's just fine that way.

5. How do you feel about the inclusion of Linkle in the spin-off Hyrule Warriors Legends?

I try not to, to be honest! I just forget about it, because I don't like it. And I don't have that game anyway. I'm not intending to rain on anyone's parade, specifically anyone who likes Linkle and is excited about her, but personally I don't think she needed to exist. Aside from how I feel about the character, her name is just.. awful. I might have liked her better if she were named something else, or even Rinka.

6. What do you think of the idea that the next Zelda game could feature a more gender neutral Link or female version of him?

It's upsetting and I don't like it. I'm set in my Zelda ways and I prefer Zelda to have the male protag... I'd be fine maybe if there was a woman protag in a Zelda game but not as a "female version" of Link. Can't she just be her own entity, without being a body morphed Link with a girly version of his name? It makes her less real to me that way, like she just exists as a version, not as her own person.

7. And how do you feel about gender neutrality / equality in games in general?

In general, that's fine. Just don't fuck with Link, you know? He's his own person, he doesn't need versions? How about a game where we play Link's sister. I don't necessarily mean Aryll, but that would be cool too, but maybe a sister on her own adventure having nothing to do with Link himself. Thats a "girl version" of Zelda that I would be so down for.
But I do enjoy games having the option, also, like, are you a boy, or a girl? Thats fine. Maybe a gender neutral character or character option, like that mysterious purple haired Jamie from Harvest Moon Magical Melody, where it incites debate over gender. That's fine too.

8. There are many games like Mass Effect that feature gender options in their games and are very story driven. Can these games or characters be compared to the characters in Zelda in any way, shape or form? How?

I don't know, I don't play Mass Effect... but I do know that picking the boy or girl in Harvest Moon is nothing like playing Link in LOZ. Link is an entire character with fanbase and history. Boy in Harvest Moon or Girl in Harvest Moon... they're just puppets.
Pokemon it's only barely better. The anime or manga expands on one of the genders but generally neglects the other, so they're just a tier above puppets.

9. What about games like Final Fantasy where the characters are set in stone? Nothing neutral or equal about these characters. They are as they appear. Can these games or characters be compared to the characters in Zelda in any way, shape or form and how?

Absolutely. You can even still name some of the characters in Final Fantasy from what I understand. Just like you can name Link whatever you want. Doesn't mean he's not Link.
I would definitely compare them. Solid characters to solid characters.

10. Of the two types of characters, which suits the Legend of Zelda series more?

Zelda characters do have a level of depth. They are set in stone in my opinion, unlike playing as basically an ad lib character.

(i have so many zelda feels. have a look at my user profile photo for kicks)

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
3 hours ago

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.