Forum Settings
Forums

Why don't Anime fans appreciate all forms of animation?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 17, 2016 3:22 AM

Aug 2013
Bobby2Hands said:

And that's just a tiny sample of western animation with a strong narrative.
Exactly.

jal90 said:

Yeah, I mention this because he specifically said "US cartoons" at the beginning, and I assumed the discussion still revolved around this label.
In the following post he just used the broad cartoons and cartoons is all cartoons for me not just American.
May 17, 2016 3:23 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:

Huh? I'm talking about cartoons when I say limited. The ''it'' refers to cartoon in both sentences.
Felidae -mystery, thriller, Martin Mystery - episodic supernatural cartoon, Gravity Falls - mystery, Anomalisa - drama, Over the Garden Wall - Dark fantasy, Comedy-drama, Adventure, Gargoyles, Young Justice -superhero, spy fiction. So not as limited as you believe.

The comparison here is about TV based series. Cartoon as movies is already accepted as more than just a comedy, because it's constantly nominate for oscars.

Only one that stands out is over the garden wall. Rest is just episodic, with the usual themes excepted from cartoons like superheroes, Martin Mystery has supernatural stuff but it's still just an episodic comedy at it's core, Ben 10 would have been a better pick here. Can you list a cartoon about romance? a serious mystery? a thriller? a sport? psychological? serious horror?

The disinterest and lack of appeal for cartoons to anime fans or others is the lack of strong narrative. To most people episodic is a weak style of narrative and the majority of cartoon is filled with that, there is also no serious takes about interesting themes.
tsudecimoMay 17, 2016 3:28 AM
May 17, 2016 3:30 AM

Dec 2015
I've just finished a western stop motion animation which nobody on MAL will ever have heard of called Moral Orel.

During the first season it was purely an episodic comedy that took some light hearted jabs at over zealous Christians. During the second season it stopped being episodic and started to look more deeply into the lives of sides characters yet it always maintained the comedic aspect. In the third and final season the notion of comedy is almost completely dropped in favour of delving further into character arcs usually with incredibly bleak and depressing results.

It was one hell of a rollercoaster ride and not something I have ever seen done in an anime.

The Netflix exclusive adult animation Bojack Horseman did something very similar.
May 17, 2016 3:34 AM

Jun 2015
Because anime fans are not fans of cartoon in general. In their stupid mind western animation is for kids.

It's completely retarded, I can't understand it either.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
May 17, 2016 3:45 AM

Jun 2012
I don't know why you assume anime fans don't like other kinds of animation.
I've enjoyed a lot outside the anime medium, including several that you mention, like Fritz the Cat, Fantastic Planet and Rick & Morty. An old favorite is Pirates of Dark Water which sadly was left unfinished as a series.
May 17, 2016 3:46 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Felidae -mystery, thriller, Martin Mystery - episodic supernatural cartoon, Gravity Falls - mystery, Anomalisa - drama, Over the Garden Wall - Dark fantasy, Comedy-drama, Adventure, Gargoyles, Young Justice -superhero, spy fiction. So not as limited as you believe.

The comparison here is about TV based series. Cartoon as movies is already accepted as more than just a comedy, because it's constantly nominate for oscars.

Only one that stands out is over the garden wall. Rest is just episodic, with the usual themes excepted from cartoons like superheroes. Can you list a cartoon about romance? a serious mystery? a thriller? a sport? psychological? serious horror?

The disinterest and lack of appeal for cartoons to anime fans or others is the lack of strong narrative. To most people episodic is a weak style of narrative and the majority of cartoon is filled with that, there is also no serious takes about interesting themes.
Well you never specified solely tv based and only two of what I posted are movies and tv series for individual episodes do win awards.

How do you know have you watched them to know they have the usual themes? Young Justice isn't episodic and has a connected story. Also Young Justice has the element of espionage which isn't common in other superhero cartoons. Gravity Falls even though episodic has an overarching mystery.

Cartoons can have those types of genres but not stand alone.

Episodic narrative allows for strong character focus ,far more than serial storytelling. People kind of overrate serial storytelling because it's one continuous story so it can turn to shit midway or have a disappointing ending and characters can be disregarded in favor of the plot thus leaving them undeveloped. Episodic storytelling is in no way inferior to serial storytelling. Yes there are like how Adventure Time showed nihilism and the corruption of money, Star Wars 2008 challenging the idea of blind loyalty to authority in the episode focusing on the clones, Batman Beyond showing the negative effect of drug addiction etc.
May 17, 2016 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
If it's interesting and has awesome action then I'm good either way. But outside DC and Marvel(which is meh but it's better than most of the Flash Animation Shows)what's worth watching again? But a lot of Anime lately is also full of meh Animation as well.

I feel like I'm just going through the motions when I watch new Animation(either Eastern or Western Animation)nowadays.

Basically if it catches my interests, I'll give it my attention regardless of Origin. It's not always Anime that may catch my attention but a Western Show. (Shrugs Shoulders). I like keeping an open mind that's all.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
May 17, 2016 3:51 AM

Nov 2012
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Only one that stands out is over the garden wall. Rest is just episodic, with the usual themes excepted from cartoons like superheroes, Martin Mystery has supernatural stuff but it's still just an episodic comedy at it's core, Ben 10 would have been a better pick here. Can you list a cartoon about romance? a serious mystery? a thriller? a sport? psychological? serious horror?

I come back to MAL and immediately have another disagreement with you! Watch Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Jack then tell me there's no serious or interesting themes!
May 17, 2016 3:55 AM

Apr 2016
I like all types of animation. The problem with Western animation is that it is limited in comparison to anime and doesn't offer the variety that anime does. Anime appeals to a variety of people who love different genres and animation styles which are rare to find in Western animation. Does that answer your question?
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 17, 2016 4:13 AM

Nov 2011
bikers123 said:
I like all types of animation. The problem with Western animation is that it is limited in comparison to anime and doesn't offer the variety that anime does. Anime appeals to a variety of people who love different genres and animation styles which are rare to find in Western animation. Does that answer your question?

The funny thing is that most anime fans say this but are also very close minded about what they'll watch when it comes to anime. Many will only stick to Moe SOL type shows or stuff that's aired in the last 5 years.
May 17, 2016 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:

Only one that stands out is over the garden wall. Rest is just episodic, with the usual themes excepted from cartoons like superheroes. Can you list a cartoon about romance? a serious mystery? a thriller? a sport? psychological? serious horror?

Well you never specified solely tv based and only two of what I posted are movies and tv series for individual episodes do win awards.

How do you know have you watched them to know they have the usual themes? Young Justice isn't episodic and has a connected story. Also Young Justice has the element of espionage which isn't common in other superhero cartoons. Gravity Falls even though episodic has an overarching mystery.

Episodic narrative allows for strong character focus ,far more than serial storytelling. People kind of overrate serial storytelling because it's one continuous story so it can turn to shit midway or have a disappointing ending and characters can be disregarded in favor of the plot thus leaving them undeveloped. Episodic storytelling is in no way inferior to serial storytelling. Yes there are like how Adventure Time showed nihilism and the corruption of money, Star Wars 2008 challenging the idea of blind loyalty to authority in the episode focusing on the clones, Batman Beyond showing the negative effect of drug addiction etc.

Do any of you know about The Animals of Farthing Wood?
May 17, 2016 4:21 AM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
flannan said:

We're mostly sharing our personal experience.
Frankly, this discussion would have been better with a poll.

Last time I read about it, 4 countries regularly produce animation: USA, Japan, France and Russia/USSR. All of them except Japan qualify for "western animation" label. Has the situation changed much?

I think most people think Western animation as just being American or they only associate Western animation as such. Would Russia really be Western though?
I think thats not case especialy in this era where its always west vs someone and thanks for suggestion Dan vs looks interresting.
May 17, 2016 4:27 AM

Apr 2014
Thats like asking

"why dont movie fans like ALL the movies"

Well it just so happens to be that different people have different taste and each movie/anime has different genre/stories that attracts different people.
May 17, 2016 4:32 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:

I did watch them of course.

That's my point. They usually sub genres. For example Rick and Morty has sci fi stuff but ti's supporting element to it's main genre, comedy.

Well I'm not interested to argue about episodic narrative, I just pointed out the lack of appeal for cartoons.

Those are just small elements of a whole work that doesn't focus on that at all, notice you yourself are putting small examples and episodes instead of citing a series that has a serious take on something as a whole.

Miraclezify said:

I come back to MAL and immediately have another disagreement with you! Watch Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Jack then tell me there's no serious or interesting themes!

Mhmm!
Cowboy Bebop is an anime. Already watched Samurai Jack before, didn't really see something that stood from the rest of action cartoon.
May 17, 2016 4:36 AM

Apr 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
bikers123 said:

The funny thing is that most anime fans say this but are also very close minded about what they'll watch when it comes to anime. Many will only stick to Moe SOL type shows or stuff that's aired in the last 5 years.

We can't like everything. Maybe, they've tried other stuff and have realized that that's the only thing that appeals to them. Of course, I'm not talking about all of them.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 17, 2016 4:42 AM

Mar 2016

This isn't moe. I like moe. Call it artistic/symbolic/w/e but I want it to be moe.
May 17, 2016 4:43 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
i do like the fact that my questions are never asenerd

"Why can't Disney make LOGH" sounds to me like "why can't Ghibli make Futurama". There must be a point I'm missing in that cheap claim.

i dnt even men eacly like it i mean a prodcut based on a novel that is accurate to the sorce
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 17, 2016 4:45 AM

Nov 2011
TheDeadApostle said:

This isn't moe. I like moe. Call it artistic/symbolic/w/e but I want it to be moe.

I like how you choose the infamous example. That and Moe aren't your only options. There's a lot of other styles.
May 17, 2016 4:49 AM

Nov 2012
tsudecimo said:

Miraclezify said:

Mhmm!
Cowboy Bebop is an anime. Already watched Samurai Jack before, didn't really see something that stood from the rest of action cartoon.

Well we're talking about the merits of episodic storytelling aren't we? Anime or not, episodic storytelling is still a good form of doing so especially when there's an overarching story. This gives us characters in many different situations meaning we get more stories, meaning we get more chances to explore different themes. Dunno, I feel like you're missing out a lot if you don't think so. And hey, didn't you like Bakemonogatari? That thing is pretty arc based isn't it? And arcs are pretty much just episodic stories but longer. So yeah.
May 17, 2016 4:50 AM

Mar 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
TheDeadApostle said:

I like how you choose the infamous example. That and Moe aren't your only options. There's a lot of other styles.

If it isn't moe, it's bad. Moe rules the world.

On a more serious note, the OP is about anime fans being unable to like all forms of animation. That is a form of animation but I don't like it. Infamous or not it's an easy example. Not to mention that I've heard people praise how it reflects the ugly nature of the characters.
OduduwaMay 17, 2016 4:56 AM
May 17, 2016 5:01 AM

Nov 2011
TheDeadApostle said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

On a more serious note, the OP is about anime fans being unable to like all forms of animation. That is a form of animation but I don't like it. Infamous or not it's an easy example. Not to mention that I've heard people praise how it reflects the ugly nature of the characters.

I think the OP meant to refer to people who choose to only watch anime and ignore anything that isn't a Japanese cartoon just because it's not anime. Personally I think most Moe is ugly as fuck anyway.
May 17, 2016 5:10 AM

Mar 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
TheDeadApostle said:

I think the OP meant to refer to people who choose to only watch anime and ignore anything that isn't a Japanese cartoon just because it's not anime.

I interpreted it as having more to do with the animation itself. I wouldn't call Aku No Hana a representative of the Japanese's trademark animation so I gave it as an example. But yes I see your point.

Waifu_Strangler said:
Personally I think most Moe is ugly as fuck anyway

Haha I could tell by your name.
May 17, 2016 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
Miraclezify said:
tsudecimo said:

Mhmm!

Well we're talking about the merits of episodic storytelling aren't we? Anime or not, episodic storytelling is still a good form of doing so especially when there's an overarching story. This gives us characters in many different situations meaning we get more stories, meaning we get more chances to explore different themes. Dunno, I feel like you're missing out a lot if you don't think so. And hey, didn't you like Bakemonogatari? That thing is pretty arc based isn't it? And arcs are pretty much just episodic stories but longer. So yeah.

We are not actually. My argument was never about episodic but why is cartoon not appealing because this is what the thread is about..As I told DrGero I have no interest in discussing episodic narrative I only used it as a reason in regards to cartoon.

I'm not missing out. When it comes episodic storytelling they are inherently inferior and that's just one of those opinion that's not gonna change for me, hence my lack of interest on the subject. I understand the ''pros'' of it for the fans of it but doesn't mean I appreciate it as well.

Arc based is not similar to episodic, difference is clear by it's name alone.
May 17, 2016 5:26 AM

Nov 2009
Bobby2Hands said:
I've just finished a western stop motion animation which nobody on MAL will ever have heard of called Moral Orel.

During the first season it was purely an episodic comedy that took some light hearted jabs at over zealous Christians. During the second season it stopped being episodic and started to look more deeply into the lives of sides characters yet it always maintained the comedic aspect. In the third and final season the notion of comedy is almost completely dropped in favour of delving further into character arcs usually with incredibly bleak and depressing results.

It was one hell of a rollercoaster ride and not something I have ever seen done in an anime.

How about Kotoura-san? that is what I call a roller-coaster.
There are anime that change genre midway, though, but right now I can only remember Mahou Sensei Negima manga, which started as a ecchi harem, and transformed into a battle shounen a few volumes later.

DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

"Why can't Disney make LOGH" sounds to me like "why can't Ghibli make Futurama". There must be a point I'm missing in that cheap claim.

i dnt even men eacly like it i mean a prodcut based on a novel that is accurate to the sorce

Ghibli can't make anime that are accurate to the source too. For example, Howl's Moving Castle is quite different from its original. I've got to watch Gedo Senki, but it's likely different too.
These two studios just don't do it, they're all about artistic interpretation.

Well, I think american animators can't adapt anything near the level of LoGH anyway, because [insert anti-americanism here]. Soviets didn't adapt to animation anything greater than "Mystery of the 3rd Planet" too, I think (it's a soft sci-fi book for children).
May 17, 2016 5:41 AM
Aug 2015
Because some artstyles look like absolute shit.
May 17, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2012
Kind of a sweeping statement, OP.

Plus, considering that Osamu Tezuka was inspired by Disney when he effectively pioneered the big-eyed style we know today, I think we at least owe a little to Western media.

I like both. I prefer anime, personally, but I grew up with Disney, and I have fond memories of Western cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid.

Plus, as people have posted above, Western animation can be just as stunning as anime.
May 17, 2016 6:19 AM

Nov 2012
tsudecimo said:

Meh, we always seem to disagree on definitions. An episodic show is just a show where every arc is one episode... so yeah, the same thing.
May 17, 2016 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
Miraclezify said:
tsudecimo said:

Meh, we always seem to disagree on definitions. An episodic show is just a show where every arc is one episode... so yeah, the same thing.

It's not the same. In the first place Arc based is not a real narrative style. It's just a normal continuous narrative but has relatively large part of it story that can be grouped into arcs. The whole problem with episodic is that usually once the story of an episode finish it's no longer relevant or mentioned again within the show. Senjougahra, Mayoi and Kanbaru don't stop existing outside of their arcs, nor do their problems. Even episodic shows with an overaching plot there is still many episodes that are not relevant beyond themselves.
May 17, 2016 7:50 AM

Apr 2016
Why do fans of the Japanese dumpling absolutely hate and are utterly disgusted with the abominable German dumpling?

The problem is not the factoid that that is true, but the question itself.

Am I espying a slightly biased troll post?
May 17, 2016 7:55 AM

Dec 2014
Well I can accept everything from a certain level, but it's not that high, anything produced by an actual studio is good enough for me.

BUT I personally hate when
A: we show off our CGI skill for like 2 seconds and it's totally out of the picture
B: when we make the most CGI overloaded fight scenes, and give literally nothing else in the rest of the episode/show.

PS: I know that the "well animated parts" are costly, and must be kept in bay. And I'm fine with that.
May 17, 2016 9:36 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:

I did watch them of course.

That's my point. They usually sub genres. For example Rick and Morty has sci fi stuff but ti's supporting element to it's main genre, comedy.

Well I'm not interested to argue about episodic narrative, I just pointed out the lack of appeal for cartoons.

Those are just small elements of a whole work that doesn't focus on that at all, notice you yourself are putting small examples and episodes instead of citing a series that has a serious take on something as a whole.
You really did watch all those I have mentioned? Sci fi seems as important to Rick and Morty as comedy , mystery is the main genre of Gravity Falls (that's what people mainly watch it for), Drama is the major genre of Anomalisa, Adventure and Fantasy are mainly focused genres of Over the Garden Wall, crime drama would be the major genres for something like Batman Year 1. Also when it comes to anime one anime never falls under just one genre. Anime do tend to cover more genres than cartoons I do admit even though it's not perfect genre wise hence why I have to watch live action movies or tv shows if I'm in the mood for crime drama, spy thriller, war historical.

The lack of appeal you are talking about is linked to the presumed inferiority of episodic storytelling compared to serial storytelling.

That's the thing with episodic storytelling different serious themes can be focused on in different episodes .

tsudecimo said:
The whole problem with episodic is that usually once the story of an episode finish it's no longer relevant or mentioned again within the show.
This is where you are completely wrong especially when it comes to cartoons. Episodic can and do have continuity. Adventure Time,Regular Show, Gargoyles etc. are episodic yet frequently plot points carry over. Characters that were introduced previously are shown again and past events are mentioned or implied. The difference is that it is not immediate like if a plot point is presented one episode it will not be resolved immediately following but is sure to show up later on. Episodic cartoons with zero continuity are generally only cartoon shorts like Tom and Jerry and Mickey Mouse . Even something like Family Guy which doesn't generally care about continuity can have continuity sometimes like when Brian died and the family got a new dog.
DrGeroCreationMay 17, 2016 9:55 AM
May 17, 2016 9:41 AM

Feb 2015
I mainly watch anime but i do enjoy other shows like Adventure Time, Regular show, Family guy etc... I used to watch Young Justice, Samurai jack etc... But now days my time is limited (I'm an athlete) so I chose anime over others countries cartoons because personally find it more entertaining, but when I do have time I watch others on TV
May 17, 2016 9:49 AM
Mar 2011
flannan said:
Bobby2Hands said:

How about Kotoura-san? that is what I call a roller-coaster.
There are anime that change genre midway, though, but right now I can only remember Mahou Sensei Negima manga, which started as a ecchi harem, and transformed into a battle shounen a few volumes later.

DateYutaka said:

Ghibli can't make anime that are accurate to the source too. For example, Howl's Moving Castle is quite different from its original. I've got to watch Gedo Senki, but it's likely different too.
These two studios just don't do it, they're all about artistic interpretation.

Well, I think american animators can't adapt anything near the level of LoGH anyway, because [insert anti-americanism here]. Soviets didn't adapt to animation anything greater than "Mystery of the 3rd Planet" too, I think (it's a soft sci-fi book for children).

WMT proves that japan can with accuracy for the most part ha accriary adaoted western stories
somthing that disnry have not done

that fuck up
Mulan
1001 nights
little mermid[ toee have alsod oen this more accurate to the sorvcve than dinsry]
Note dame du paris
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 17, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2015
I love all kinds of animation. Hell, Disney/Pixar are still my favorite film studios, stop-motion is one of my favorite styles and two of my favorite films of all time are drawn irish-style (Song of the Sea and The Secret of Kells).
It's just that I prefer the general style used in most anime as a whole over all others.
May 17, 2016 10:12 AM
Jan 2016
Yea lets appreciate shows like clarrance right?
May 17, 2016 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
drahan said:
Clarence is a great kids slice of life that makes you feel like a kid again when you watch it. The season 2 episodes are so down to earth and relaxing.
May 17, 2016 10:31 AM
Jan 2016
DrGeroCreation said:
drahan said:
Clarence is a great kids slice of life that makes you feel like a kid again when you watch it. The season 2 episodes are so down to earth and relaxing.
well i guess thats one way to see it ill never be able to think the show like that though
May 17, 2016 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
drahan said:
DrGeroCreation said:
well i guess thats one way to see it ill never be able to think the show like that though
Well yeah different people will have different views about it and some would appreciate it and others won't.
May 17, 2016 5:59 PM

May 2015
I just realized that we already had at least two threads exactly like this one within the last month alone

please dont have more of these up, Tyrel-sama..
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 17, 2016 6:18 PM

Oct 2014
I'd just assume because this is MAL everyone's focus is Anime/Manga. Time and a place for everything? I mean I watch other stuff but I wouldn't talk about it here.
May 17, 2016 10:10 PM

Jan 2015
21 said:
So why are anime fans only fans of Anime and nothing else?
?? o.O??
gofuckyurself30characters

la critique de l'intention pure
May 18, 2016 12:20 AM

Oct 2015
Actually I'm a huge animation fan myself, that's what helped get me into anime, I like all forums of animation and I like to experience things from other countries I actuelly intend to watch Fritz the cat, Watership down and Fantastic Planet some time.

I do prefer anime though as you get more of a variety with it like Slice of Life, Romance, Drama etc. most current cartoons on American TV are just comedy or action, also Anime offers a lof of more Mature animations like Berserk, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Yeah there are some mature cartoons like Heavy Metal, Heavy Traffic and Fritz the Cat for example but there's not really a ton, a lot of people over here probably thing that mature animation means something like Family Guy or something.

I love cartoons to though, I love Dreamworks, Pixar and Disney movies and Avatar, Korra, Gravity Falls, Samuari Jack, Young Justice, Original Teen Titans, Batman: the animated series, Over the Garden Wall and Rick and Morty are all great. I even like to watch classic stuff like Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones Scooby-Doo, Tex Avery cartoons and The Jetsons from time to time.

Also The Secret Of Kells and Song Of The Sea are good and they are from Ireland.

Some people say that a lot f of Cartoons don't have good stories, Avatar and Samuari Jack had a good story and that's not even including Disney movies. Also there's a lot of bad animes out there to. Then there's stuff like Naruto which technically has a story but has hundreds of episodes of filler.
MattKitsune96May 18, 2016 12:25 AM
May 18, 2016 12:43 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
Miraclezify said:
It's interesting that most of you guys are telling the OP he's wrong when all I see is that his generalisation is pretty spot on. I guess you can't expect much when your question is somewhat of an insult (however minor) to the very community you're asking it to.

Waifu_Strangler said:
Again comes up the issue that people think anything that isn't anime is Western cartoon series.

Last time I read about it, 4 countries regularly produce animation: USA, Japan, France and Russia/USSR. All of them except Japan qualify for "western animation" label. Has the situation changed much?

'The West' refers to either the English-speaking world, or America/Europe/Israel/Australia. France can quality as 'Western' animation, but Russia definitely not.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 18, 2016 12:49 AM

Nov 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
flannan said:

'The West' refers to either the English-speaking world, or America/Europe/Israel/Australia. France can quality as 'Western' animation, but Russia definitely not.

It's funny how nobody told me that any other country has started regularly making animation yet.
Anyway, since I'm from Russia, I tend to classify it under "western", because I grew up watching western and russian stuff, and for me, russian stuff doesn't have a unique character beyond communist propaganda.
May 18, 2016 5:58 AM

Apr 2011
Because I can't add them to myanimelist of course :#)
May 18, 2016 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Because I like the style, I guess.
Doesn't stop me from binging Disney and Pixar movies when nostalgia hits me, though.
May 18, 2016 1:25 PM

May 2015
Malarkey said:
I just realized that we already had at least two threads exactly like this one within the last month alone

please dont have more of these up, Tyrel-sama..

It is routine and inevitable. Like a One-Punch Man thread. Or a general opinion of the anime season. Or "not really" an analysis on whether not anime, is in fact, dying. Buy a copy every week.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 18, 2016 1:31 PM

Dec 2015
I don't just watch anime for the animation. I watch it mostly for the cute characters, story telling and ecchiness. Which I find more unique then most western cartoons. But, that's not to say I don't like other animated movie or shows. I like animations, It's just that I find anime more appealing.
May 18, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2015
Lobinde said:

If anything I find that big fans of modern western animation (like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Family Guy etc) are more close-minded about viewing older animation and animation from other countries.

Um, probably because anime fans are usually already viewing animation from another country..

And MAL users are clearly are not one of these types of fans lol

which is fine, I don't see it as a very big deal to be close minded about japanese or american cartoons.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 19, 2016 5:17 AM

May 2015
Starla_Fox said:
I don't just watch anime for the animation. I watch it mostly for the cute characters, story telling and ecchiness. Which I find more unique then most western cartoons. But, that's not to say I don't like other animated movie or shows. I like animations, It's just that I find anime more appealing.

Anime does emphasize cuteness more than any other form of animation. Even your tough anime will have one or two cute characters.

I'm all for it. Cuteness is awesome.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 13 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

40 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 22 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 53 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.