Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2016 7:18 AM
May 2015
Precisely what the title says, i want to know in what order I should watch the fate series as I am a bit confused on it. Could someone give me the order to watch the series, excluding any movies and ova's and such. I can watch those after I have watched all of the fate related anime
May 3, 2016 7:40 AM
May 3, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2016
Just watch Zero first .Everyone else likes it more anyway .
May 4, 2016 12:45 AM

Jul 2007
If you are not going to touch the source material visual novels, then just watch Zero and forget everything else exists. FSN adaptation s are completely awful and nearly incomprehensible without source material.

Otherwise the order IS ALWAYS three routes of FSN first and Fate/Zero last since Fate/Zero SPOILS 99% of FSN and is intended as a bonus material
May 4, 2016 9:26 AM

May 2016
I'd start with fate/zero and then watch fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade works. Only watch the ufotable series, don't watch anything from studio deen. Soon there will be 3 movies from ufotable which cover the Heaven's Feel route so watch that after you finish F/SN: UBW.
May 4, 2016 9:28 AM

Jul 2015
Watch fate zero and if you liked it don't watch fate stay.
May 4, 2016 11:36 AM
Jan 2013
Yup, just watch fate/zero, rest are below avarage
May 6, 2016 2:38 PM

May 2016
Hey I just want to say that everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but I would disagree that Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works is below average on artwork alone. If you enjoy animation then you will at the very least Like this anime. It was nicknamed Unlimited Budget Works by fans for the amount of money that ufotable put into it & I have to say that you get what you pay for. I'm trying to say the animation is the best you'll currently see if I haven't made myself clear.
May 6, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2016
Fate/Zero is a prequel to F/StayNight and while you can watch it in the chronological order, I must warn you that zero spoils quite a bit of big twists in Stay Night.

If you are fine with reading visual novels, I suggest you to go with Fate Stay Night novel firsts since it covers three different routes (basically different stories) and it also has a lot of bad endings that are pretty fun to experience. Generally speaking, adaptations don't do much justice to FSN due to it being such a huge story.

Fate/Zero's anime adaptation on the other side is pretty good and has some great visuals as well.

So, to sum it up, I suggest reading Stay Night and watching Zero and then, if you really like these two you might as well try Tsukihime visual novel. It's pretty outdated but it's set in the same universe and has some connections with the story of Fate games.
May 6, 2016 4:07 PM

Jul 2015
Quick question to those who have seen Fate/Stay Night:
I've watched both Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night UBW, and I've only seen 5 episodes of FSN, so should I even watch FSN? Isn't UBW the remake? I do realize that there are SOME changes within UBW.

Sorry if this is off-topic!

caught in the wonder
May 6, 2016 4:18 PM

Jul 2007
Striktlyy said:
I've watched both Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night UBW, and I've only seen 5 episodes of FSN, so should I even watch FSN? Isn't UBW the remake? I do realize that there are SOME changes within UBW.

UFOUBW is a bad adaptation of FSN's UBW route
Deen FSN is a bad adaptation of FSN's Fate route.

Overall they are entirely different stories that only share same prologue. Albeit DEEN's adaptation for whatever reason inserted multiple UBW scenes into it so there are more similarities than there should be.
May 6, 2016 4:26 PM

Nov 2012
Thanks god they made these a sticky. Seriously almost every 2 days someone ask this question.

Also am i the only one that thought the first half of UBW was a spot on adaption? there was not even hate back then also. I think most of the hate cokes from the second season which people tend to overreact.
May 6, 2016 10:27 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
Striktlyy said:

UFOUBW is a bad adaptation of FSN's UBW route
Deen FSN is a bad adaptation of FSN's Fate route.

Overall they are entirely different stories that only share same prologue. Albeit DEEN's adaptation for whatever reason inserted multiple UBW scenes into it so there are more similarities than there should be.

OHH so Unlimited Blade Works is only a different route? Omg for the longest time I thought Unlimited Blade Works was the remake of Fate/Stay Night. Well this is embarrassing. Oh well.

caught in the wonder
May 6, 2016 10:32 PM

May 2016
Fate/Zero works as a prologue to Fate/Stay Night, F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works, & F/SN: Heaven's Feel which are all different options on how the Holy Grail War plays out. All routes have the same cast but certain characters are given more or less screen time depending on the plot.
May 7, 2016 2:40 AM

Jul 2007
johnyjohny said:
Thanks god they made these a sticky. Seriously almost every 2 days someone ask this question.

Also am i the only one that thought the first half of UBW was a spot on adaption? there was not even hate back then also. I think most of the hate cokes from the second season which people tend to overreact.

Nope. It was better paced, but it focused on all wrong things(fanservice, pointless eating scenes instead of Shirou's character development or lore explanations, etc). And it had many alterations to characterization(making Rin bitchy and annoying, toning down EVERYTHING about Shirou turning him into passive idiot, removing depth and complexity to both characters, etc).

While Second Cour had its own problems in being badly paced mess with shitload of pointless anime original content, A HUGE part of the show's problems comes from all the "little" issues since the start piling up. And the issue with poor fight choreography was there since the start even if the show did not start idiot-balling it all into pure shonen mess till second cour.

A lot of people were more forgiving for first season because they thought at least some characterization and lore will be added and that they are just removing it because they don't want to repeat it again. Most of the actual discussion was basically "oh they skipped that and that?Well maybe they will add it before that and that?" Back then ufo had a lot of goodwill from fanbase due to almost perfect F/Z adaptation and great KNK adaptation, with only KNK6 being a dark spot in their production of nasuverse shows, so people were willing to give them benefit of the doubt - surely they would not mess up one of the most important anime adaptations of all time. Alas that was a false hope and through some very implausible situation Ufo managed to retrace almost every single mistake Deen did and repeat it.

KindOfNew said:
Fate/Zero works as a prologue to Fate/Stay Night,

It really really doesnot.Its a cliffnotes version of every single reveal of FSN.
AhenshihaelMay 7, 2016 2:49 AM
May 9, 2016 11:17 AM

May 2016
Fate/Zero was created with the ability to act as a prologue to every single route of Fate/Stay Night. F/Z can fit into either F/SN, UBW, or Heaven's Feel. That's why certain parts of Fate/Zero don't fit in quite as well with UBW but those parts will mesh better with say the Heaven's Feel route.
May 10, 2016 12:20 AM

Jul 2007
KindOfNew said:
Fate/Zero was created with the ability to act as a prologue to every single route of Fate/Stay Night. F/Z can fit into either F/SN, UBW, or Heaven's Feel. That's why certain parts of Fate/Zero don't fit in quite as well with UBW but those parts will mesh better with say the Heaven's Feel route.

Fate Zero was never intended to be a prologue. Its a spoilerfest. The LN version even had a warning at the start urging to read FSN first and Urobuchi delayed the LN release because he was worried people who have not read FSN would read it.

Fate/Zero does connect with each route because it is literally a retelling of the big reveals about the war that happen in each route. Its a bonus story that takes the reveals from FSN and puts them in order of how those events happened. Thus by the very nature it spoils every route.
May 10, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2016
Fai said:
KindOfNew said:

Fate/Zero does connect with each route because it is literally a retelling of the big reveals about the war that happen in each route. Its a bonus story that takes the reveals from FSN and puts them in order of how those events happened. Thus by the very nature it spoils every route.

I don't think it spoiled the major plot points of every route. Just off the top of my head I know that the big reveal in UBW that
is never mentioned, in fact Shiro is barely in F/Z. So while minor plot points about the grail's true intentions are ruined, I think that is offset with the fact that it is better executed in F/Z than in any route of F/SN.
nicofaceMay 10, 2016 2:01 PM
May 10, 2016 10:05 PM

Jul 2007
nicoface said:
Fai said:

I don't think it spoiled the major plot points of every route. Just off the top of my head I know that the big reveal in UBW that
is never mentioned, in fact Shiro is barely in F/Z. So while minor plot points about the grail's true intentions are ruined, I think that is offset with the fact that it is better executed in F/Z than in any route of F/SN.

UBW gets off easier because its least spoiled. It still spoils
and if we are talking about anime only, zero also spoils every single fate reveal, if you go from Zero to UBW

So while minor plot points about the grail's true intentions are ruined

Zero itself on other hand works far better with knowledge

I think that is offset with the fact that it is better executed in F/Z than in any route of F/SN.

LOLNO. But that's not the thread for this.
May 10, 2016 10:28 PM

May 2016
Fai said:
nicoface said:

UBW gets off easier because its least spoiled. It still spoils
and if we are talking about anime only, zero also spoils every single fate reveal, if you go from Zero to UBW

So while minor plot points about the grail's true intentions are ruined

Zero itself on other hand works far better with knowledge

I think that is offset with the fact that it is better executed in F/Z than in any route of F/SN.

LOLNO. But that's not the thread for this.

I think SN works better when you know the game is rigged. But thats just because I relate more to Kiritsugu's struggle with the grail than any other character.

And they're not close-minded if they don't know whats going on lol. Its just sheer ignorance.

But it seems to me that what you're trying to get at that F/SN is better than Zero.

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
20 minutes ago

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 2 hours ago

0 by Gfralp »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
6 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.