Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2016 2:48 PM
Jun 2014
Everything is in the title.
While it was never explicitly stated whether he could or not he was disapointed that he couldn't summon Osiris during his duel against Judai, so who knows
Apr 17, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2012
lol When was it shown that he was disappointed that he specifically couldn't summon Osiris? That's just your opinion on that scene when Judai attacked him.

Did you watch Battle City? Only duelist related to Ancient Egypt can summon the Gods, hence why so many people got hurt when they summoned one during that arc. Final Episode/Chapter Yugi could probably summon them with guarantee unlike during BC, which is before he dueled Judai in the anime, because as a vessel of Atem, he grew and surpassed him because the plot demanded that Atem lose. lol

Note: Take into account that Yugi can't read the Egyptian text related to Ra. So he could probably only summon Osiris or Obelisk after defeating Atem.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 17, 2016 7:48 AM
Jun 2014
I was quick so you probably misintepreted me. He was disapointed that he couldn't summon Osiris because of the effect of the card in the game which allowed him to summon a warrior monster (if i remember correctly) and Osiris isn't -> hence disappointment.
However I don't understand why he could summon them after BC but not during it ? It's the same person so it's wouldn't matter.
And I think that if Yugi can summon the egyptian god he can summon Ra, since Kaiba didn't know he could read the text and we never saw Yugi try.
Apr 18, 2016 1:17 AM

Sep 2014
Because plots. Anyone can summon the god, its just that Ra has the hieratic text pre-requisite which stopped Mai from owning Marik with his own card. Strings used Osiris fine as well. Yugi can't read Egyptian, so Ra is locked out to him. And Yugi would've summoned Osiris using the stolen Code Change against Judai if it wasn't for Atem taking over at that point

However, you get BTFOed by God's anger if you use a counterfeit like in the case of Rishid/Odion, and the Ghouls/Rare Hunters
Apr 19, 2016 8:56 PM

Dec 2012
hidrag said:
I was quick so you probably misintepreted me. He was disapointed that he couldn't summon Osiris because of the effect of the card in the game which allowed him to summon a warrior monster (if i remember correctly) and Osiris isn't -> hence disappointment.
However I don't understand why he could summon them after BC but not during it ? It's the same person so it's wouldn't matter.
And I think that if Yugi can summon the egyptian god he can summon Ra, since Kaiba didn't know he could read the text and we never saw Yugi try.

Yeah, before reading your explanation, I originally thought you were referring to the ending of the duel because he did have a weird look on his face, not when he had an angry looking face when he discarded Osiris. lol

"However I don't understand why he could summon them after BC but not during it ? It's the same person so it's wouldn't matter."

We really didn't watch the same show, huh? Watch the final duel, which is symbolic for a reason. lol

@OSFrog But Strings was controlled by Marik, which is why he didn't get hurt. Regarding the "Yugi would've summoned Osiris...", we don't know. He had a blank look on his face not filled with confidence after Judai evaded magic cylinder and then proceeded to attack him with Shining Flare Wingman, which would have made him lose.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 19, 2016 10:49 PM

Sep 2014
It doesn't matter that Marik is controlling him. If only people related to that era of Ancient Egypts could summon the gods, they'd have smited Strings right where he stood, Marik or no Marik. In addition, Marik is a descendant of the grave keeper clan, with no Ancient Egypt counterpart, which would make him extremely underqualified to wield the god, if that was the case. Seto is the reincarnation of Set. Yugi houses the Pharoh's soul. Marik has a janitor/toilet cleaner tier job.

Also, Mai summoned Ra fine, she just couldn't activate its battle form because muh egyptian text. The only thing Kazuki Takahashi stated that anger the god is using counterfeit copies.

And if you want to use GX, which is anime continuity, mook #24601 at the start of Doma summoned Obelisk with no repercussion.
Apr 20, 2016 3:36 AM
Jun 2014
Yeah while I used an instance from Gx i prefer to refer only to the manga for the continuity.
But you made your point @OSFrog, it is possible that anyone can wield a god card but I think that you need the power of a millenium item to use them together (and maybe the puzzle is requiered).
@Rob19MAL,, I still don't get it. You say that Yugi couldn't summon the gods during battle city but only after and I don't understand why. The fact that he defeated the gods doesn't make him worthy of wielding them, imo.
As for Yugi reading Ra's text, Kaiba was never stated to be able to read egyptian, as far as we know he can only the read the text in the Ra card and we don't know if Yugi can read it either since it wasn't show that he tried.
Apr 20, 2016 4:41 AM

May 2014
Yugi Muto cant Yugi Moto can
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Apr 20, 2016 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
Kaiba machine translated Ra during Marik's duel vs Jonouchi. The summoning chant is the riddle on the card which describes the 3 powers of Ra. He knows, and eventually understand the power through watching, but he cannot summon it as he cannot speak it.
Apr 24, 2016 2:45 AM
Jun 2014
Yes but he was pretty conviced that if he got the 3 cards he would be invincible implying that he could summon the 3 of them. And while is machine did translate most of the text, there were still a part Mokuba said it didn't and Kaiba was shocked that he could read it.
Apr 25, 2016 11:40 PM

Sep 2014
After the Millenium Rod induced flashback (due to it being Priest Seto's item), he gained the ability to understand the text. But it wasn't made clear that he could read it (out loud) or not, and he was taken out of the story after Battle City so the mangaka never clarified it.
Apr 25, 2016 11:51 PM

Feb 2015
Yea but who cares it's not on the metagame
Sep 18, 2021 5:38 PM

Aug 2019
I'm a little confused by the question considering that Yugi (well, Atem) did eventually summon Osiris in the duel against Judai.

Also in the manga the God cards disappeared after Atem lost the duel against Yugi, so assuming that they also disappeared in the anime, technically Yugi wouldn't be able to use them in the present.

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.