Forums

[Dev Diary] Designing and creating a TBS game

New
Would you like to play this game?
Apr 2, 2016 5:26 AM
Apr 2013
Engine : Unreal Engine 4
Coding : Blueprints
Basic game design : Turn based strategy, Logistics, 3D environment, movement in 2D grid
Setting : Futuristic dystopia
References : XCOM 2, Rimworld, Vietnam War, Korean War, World War II, Mana Khemia, Anime Cinematography
Developed by : Me

Introduction

As of present, I want to make a TBS game that concerns with all aspects of combat including logistics and hopefully, mimics closely to present real world battles. Strategy over RNG is the motto of this game. Each unit however will be represented as a cube.

Invalid and old introduction:

If you have questions or things you want to see in this game, feel free to post in this thread.

worldeditor11Aug 7, 2016 9:55 PM
Apr 2, 2016 7:02 AM

Jan 2013
Hrm... I think this would fit a gaming board or dev website, since I doubt many people who browse this particular board is into gaming but whatever.

When a player is set into melee intercept, why must he have a specific unit or target? Why can't it be used on the first enemy unit to enter the allied unit's melee range?
Apr 2, 2016 6:21 PM
Apr 2013
TR-8RCaim said:
Hrm... I think this would fit a gaming board or dev website, since I doubt many people who browse this particular board is into gaming but whatever.

You are right but I want to start small first before I start spamming my idea everywhere. An alpha build of the idea at least. Furthermore, I find it easier to communicate with you guys.

TR-8RCaim said:

When a player is set into melee intercept, why must he have a specific unit or target?

One word : Control

I have this problem of my units shooting all over the place, attacking the furthest or the strongest instead the weakest or the closest. This is frustrating when most of the squad cant even get a shot into an alien skull due to this fact. The major complain I have found against Overwatch is its reliance towards RNG. Melee intercept aim to ease this problem but limits the potency.

Then, you must understand your unit actually moves from one square to another. What if your unit moves into a location that jeopardise both his/her safety and squad? The target setting is to limit movement and allow players to predict his movement. IF you targeted wrongly, that will be your fault, not the game. Not something uncertain like RNG or hey maybe this guy will move first. Even in real life, using basketball as an example, coaches make his players to mark certain players to limit an opposing player movement.

TR-8RCaim said:

Why can't it be used on the first enemy unit to enter the allied unit's melee range?

You can but that will be under phase 2 or 3. Phase 1 will be implementing the flow above. Phase 2 is to trim out any features that are bad and adjust it till it works. Phase 3 is implementing Overwatch Melee Edition.

I am giving players more strategic choices to make, not limiting them. Do you want your units to act once an enemy unit moves or act once your targeted enemy unit moves? The former is great in ambushing and guarding an area while the latter is great in limiting an enemy unit movement.
Apr 2, 2016 10:44 PM

Jan 2013
worldeditor11 said:
TR-8RCaim said:

You are right but I want to start small first before I start spamming my idea everywhere. An alpha build of the idea at least. Furthermore, I find it easier to communicate with you guys.

TR-8RCaim said:

When a player is set into melee intercept, why must he have a specific unit or target?

One word : Control

I have this problem of my units shooting all over the place, attacking the furthest or the strongest instead the weakest or the closest. This is frustrating when most of the squad cant even get a shot into an alien skull due to this fact. The major complain I have found against Overwatch is its reliance towards RNG. Melee intercept aim to ease this problem but limits the potency.

Then, you must understand your unit actually moves from one square to another. What if your unit moves into a location that jeopardise both his/her safety and squad? The target setting is to limit movement and allow players to predict his movement. IF you targeted wrongly, that will be your fault, not the game. Not something uncertain like RNG or hey maybe this guy will move first. Even in real life, using basketball as an example, coaches make his players to mark certain players to limit an opposing player movement.

TR-8RCaim said:

Why can't it be used on the first enemy unit to enter the allied unit's melee range?

You can but that will be under phase 2 or 3. Phase 1 will be implementing the flow above. Phase 2 is to trim out any features that are bad and adjust it till it works. Phase 3 is implementing Overwatch Melee Edition.

I am giving players more strategic choices to make, not limiting them. Do you want your units to act once an enemy unit moves or act once your targeted enemy unit moves? The former is great in ambushing and guarding an area while the latter is great in limiting an enemy unit movement.
Hrm. Does the same mechanic apply to enemy units? It looks like you're gonna have to make a very complex AI if the entire game is based on predictability with detour from RNG to not make the game easy but fair to the player.
Apr 2, 2016 11:16 PM
Apr 2013
TR-8RCaim said:
Hrm. Does the same mechanic apply to enemy units? It looks like you're gonna have to make a very complex AI if the entire game is based on predictability with detour from RNG to not make the game easy but fair to the player.

AI is my next to-do list after I successfully develop this new mechanic. And yes, everyone can use it. This will create an event where a bunch of units moving in to intercept one another. All happen in the same time plane or slot. If you are thinking can a unit intercepting another unit be intercepted by another unit? The answer is yes.

I know RNG is a very big thing in games as it provides the chaos factor on an otherwise predictable gameplay. Personally, game designs rely on it way too much to create a pseudo difficult situation for the player. Not saying RNG in games is a bad thing but abusing it as a matter of convenience is.
Apr 3, 2016 12:01 AM

Jan 2013
I do agree that RNG is an awful mechanic when it comes to creating difficulty because often times it's just a handicap added for the sake of bringing one's success rate down with no regard to superior skill and execution; but I do think it holds an important place in game design.

Replayability and forcing the player to think of new and creative tactics to adapt to his circumstances for example.
What do you think of the game SuperHot? While it doesn't exactly look like a tactical turn-based game, it pushes game mechanics that are very similar to the ideas you're putting out right now. It has this whole mechanic that focuses on player prediction skills to make careful and precise actions that also complement movement.
Apr 3, 2016 4:21 AM
Apr 2013
SuperHot looks COOL as shit. I have to play this. I will post my thoughts after I played the game.

And yeah, you are right on the fact that my game center around intricate player planning. As such, I will tone down the RNG to a minimum. Right down to the RPG elements of the characters including skill and status growth. I really, really detest it when a game relies on superficial means such as luck as part of the core game design. Is there anything tactical or strategic about luck? Where is the fun in that? As a player, I want to be rewarded for what I did, not what the RNG churned out.
worldeditor11Apr 3, 2016 4:33 AM
Apr 5, 2016 12:32 AM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #1]

For the past few days since thread creation, I have developed a few basic components in a TBS game. They are:

Main Camera - Haven't implemented the boundary yet. So the camera will "fly" beyond the map. Otherwise, it will work with WASD keys to move up,down, left and right, camera rotation by holding right mouse button and map scrolling through the mouse wheel.

Map - Procedural generated level as of now. Each tile contain data about the tile itself such as type. This will increase as I implement pathfinding later which is a pain. Contain the algorithm for tiles that are available for selected character movement as well. Plan to separate this as another object once I have a better picture.

Unit - So far consists of base stats, derived stats and basic movement behaviour. The base stats are Strength, Magic, Intelligence, Endurance, Willpower, Perception, Agility, Speed, Personality and Luck. Usual stuff in RPG. If you have any other stats you want to add, I might consider.

HUD - Yeah... Nothing much other than 2 useless buttons as placeholders and your standard bars for health, magic points and stamina points respectively. Subject to change dramatically whenever I have the creative light bulbs lighting up in my head.

Game Mode - Spawn everything above and make sure they work as intended.

Images of pre-Alpha build

Apr 5, 2016 12:43 AM
Apr 2013
95PercentCaim said:

What do you think of the game SuperHot?

It was nice to play. Still as a player, I don't really feel the same coolness from watching the steam trailer video. It's different from your usual run and gun FPS game while being entertaining but the game was quite forgettable. Like nothing to brag about other than the "You move, I move" gameplay. I am guessing the developers are huge weaboos with the katanas and the first challenge involving a japanese sword. Whatever, good game, too short, still have fun playing it till the end. And the SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SHIT IS ANNOYING.

95PercentCaim said:

While it doesn't exactly look like a tactical turn-based game, it pushes game mechanics that are very similar to the ideas you're putting out right now. It has this whole mechanic that focuses on player prediction skills to make careful and precise actions that also complement movement.

Not really. The game I imagining to develop has a different vibe compared to this.
Apr 17, 2016 6:24 AM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #2]
Nothing much happen this past week thanks to me being sick. I also have to prepare presentation for tomorrow game proposal. So I did hell a lot reading these past few days especially books on Game Designs. Very interesting to say the least. Informative too. That pretty much a given but I don't have the time to read all of them.

Anyway, I gave a very serious thought on my idea and I plan to limit it for balancing, simplicity and control purposes.

Melee Intercept:
Unit under Melee Intercept order will only travel in a straight line.
The number of tiles travel is limited by the unit movement points.
Melee Intercept will only trigger after targeted enemy move one tile away from his/her original position.
Melee Intercept attacks will not receive any sort of accuracy penalty
Melee Intercept attacks will lower targeted unit evasion rate.
Melee Intercept attacks will halt enemy movement entirely.

Others:
Link or combo attacks maybe introduced.
Both stamina and action points will be implemented.
All skills grow in accordance on how much you use them, leading to new abilities depending on skill level.
Increasing skill level will increase its corresponding base stats.
No character levels.
No skill tree.
Game setting is steampunk or cyberpunk with magic.
In and out battlefield logistics system will be introduced.
Two-tier(General ---> Squaddie) AI will be developed. More info on this later after proposal.
May 3, 2016 10:30 PM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #3]

My proposal finally get accepted by my lecturers. From now onwards, this project will receive my full attention towards its development.

Name of the game is Cubism where you fight in a turn-based grid based environment using cubes. Cubes with laser guns and whatever scifi weaponry you equip the cube with. Each cube has limited slots for them with 9 modules max for each face of the cube. So choose your equipment wisely between support, offense, defense and utility or whatever role you want it to be on the field.

Why cubes?

1. Personal Limitation. I can't animate. I can't create 3D models. Time. Yada yada.
2. Cubes are cool
3. I don't think anybody did a TBS game featuring cubes...
worldeditor11May 3, 2016 10:36 PM
May 4, 2016 1:19 AM

Jun 2015
Wait, if you can't animate and can't create 3D models then how are you supposed to add them scifi weaponry stuffs? Or are there already models and effects in unreal that you can use for that? I'm wondering since I'm going to be using unreal myself pretty soon too.
May 4, 2016 3:16 AM
Apr 2013
JohnnyMcG said:
Wait, if you can't animate and can't create 3D models then how are you supposed to add them scifi weaponry stuffs? Or are there already models and effects in unreal that you can use for that? I'm wondering since I'm going to be using unreal myself pretty soon too.

You get them for free from the internet (.fbx). It's not that I can't create a 3D model at all, it's just that I don't have the time to model an elaborate one. Like the ones you see in AAA games. I don't think one guy can finish this game within the given time period. It's just not practical considering my circumstances. And I still haven't touch upon the textures... The AI... The GUI... Pathfinding... Core game mechanics...

Unreal is nice considering it is free and has a visual scripting builtin for "programming."
worldeditor11May 4, 2016 3:20 AM
May 4, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2015
worldeditor11 said:
JohnnyMcG said:

You get them for free from the internet (.fbx). It's not that I can't create a 3D model at all, it's just that I don't have the time to model an elaborate one. Like the ones you see in AAA games. I don't think one guy can finish this game within the given time period. It's just not practical considering my circumstances. And I still haven't touch upon the textures... The AI... The GUI... Pathfinding... Core game mechanics...

Unreal is nice considering it is free and has a visual scripting builtin for "programming."

Wait... what, so I can get a lazer gun firing effect for free on the internet... damn I wish I knew that sooner.
Anyways, why would you make an elaborate one in the first place? I mean if their just simple cubes I don't think you would need fancy-shmansy guns for them, wouldn't a simple cylinder be good enough with slight variations between the different types like if the only difference was the colors: red for laser gun, green for plasma gun, gray for normal gun, and so on. So you can just focus more on the other things and it won't look too out of place.

Another thing is since its all cube based why not get creative with that, maybe the cubes can stack up on each other giving each one going up a larger attack range or you can place certain cubes in certain places which allows special interaction giving some sort of puzzle elements and stuff... or did you already have something like that in mind?

And yeah, that blueprints feature seems pretty nice, I don't feel like programming everything nor do I think I can, which is what made unreal my first choice (other than the fact that it is mostly free).
May 4, 2016 4:43 PM
Apr 2013
JohnnyMcG said:

Wait... what, so I can get a lazer gun firing effect for free on the internet... damn I wish I knew that sooner.

You can't lol. I meant it as you can get 3D models like gatling guns or any weapons for free in the internet. The effects are done in the engine itself using the particle system.

JohnnyMcG said:

Anyways, why would you make an elaborate one in the first place? I mean if their just simple cubes I don't think you would need fancy-shmansy guns for them, wouldn't a simple cylinder be good enough with slight variations between the different types like if the only difference was the colors: red for laser gun, green for plasma gun, gray for normal gun, and so on. So you can just focus more on the other things and it won't look too out of place.

Elaborate as in human and monster 3D models like you see in other TBS grid based games lol.

JohnnyMcG said:

Another thing is since its all cube based why not get creative with that, maybe the cubes can stack up on each other giving each one going up a larger attack range or you can place certain cubes in certain places which allows special interaction giving some sort of puzzle elements and stuff... or did you already have something like that in mind?

I don't want it to be a puzzle. What I am trying to prove with this game is the melee intercept system as stated in my first post, resource management or logistics and AI. Of course, I did think of making the game more cube-centric (cube facing, combining, transforming, cubes vs triangles, etc.) but that's not the vision I have for the game. For now, game mechanics that are cube exclusive will be in my backlog. My current goal is to create more core TBS game rules that provide more options for players to use as practical tools for strategy.

JohnnyMcG said:

And yeah, that blueprints feature seems pretty nice, I don't feel like programming everything nor do I think I can, which is what made unreal my first choice (other than the fact that it is mostly free).

Who are you kidding? Because it is free exactly why everyone is using it.
worldeditor11May 4, 2016 5:02 PM
May 4, 2016 9:37 PM

Jun 2015
worldeditor11 said:

You can't lol. I meant it as you can get 3D models like gatling guns or any weapons for free in the internet. The effects are done in the engine itself using the particle system.

Well that's even better to know! Sorry about my ignorance, I haven't actually got to touch the engine yet so such functions and capabilities are still unknown to me. But its good to know that the effects for this are already present in unreal, I could make the weapons easy(ish) but I had no idea how I would add the effects.

worldeditor11 said:

Elaborate as in human and monster 3D models like you see in other TBS grid based games lol.

Sorry about that, I thought you were talking about the weapons, I somehow made the connection.

worldeditor11 said:

I don't want it to be a puzzle. What I am trying to prove with this game is the melee intercept system as stated in my first post, resource management or logistics and AI. Of course, I did think of making the game more cube-centric (cube facing, combining, transforming, cubes vs triangles, etc.) but that's not the vision I have for the game. For now, game mechanics that are cube exclusive will be in my backlog. My current goal is to create more core TBS game rules that provide more options for players to use as practical tools for strategy.

Fair enough, I kind of got a little of board for that, I was just wondering if that was something you had in mind already. Finish what you have in mind and if you feel like giving a little more into it with the same base in mind and think such things would be appropriate then implement them if not then just leave it be.

worldeditor11 said:

Who are you kidding? Because it is free exactly why everyone is using it.

Well, for some reason every time I ask someone what engine should we use or what engine do they use, I usually get unity, which kind of made me confused on which engine I should use since when I asked about unreal they gave me strange looks, but then I looked in a little deeper into unreal and concluded: why the hell would I use something else... and besides, I only (partially) understand C++ so far (don't understand any other programming languages) and unity can't support the 3d models I make as well as unreal.
Aug 7, 2016 9:45 PM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #4]

I felt lazy to write every single damn thing I did so I skipped it for the past few months. Anyway, to summarise what I did, they were mostly paperwork per course requirements but I did make a few breakthroughs in various departments.

For every Monday from now on, I will post updates on development for my keep sake.

Developed:
+ Implemented pathfinding
Currently using Greedy with no checks against unit occupying a tile. This means that a unit will go through another unit to reach its destination.

Note: I spent hell a lot of time developing this one.

+ Implemented turn based system
Each cycle consists of turns. Turns are calculated based on unit Speed.

+ Each tile now store data
Generate the level map based on this data.

+ Implemented computer generated units
Generate player unit stats from a predetermined range of numbers.

+ Implemented spawn points
Spawn points are represented as individual tiles where units will spawn around it.

+ Implemented a base cube unit
The basic building block for all future cube unit classes. Contains mostly everything that is needed for your basic turn based rpg unit. Supports equipment.

+ Implemented game graphics settings
Only supports player manipulation of overall graphics quality of the game.

Next week objectives
A "living" camera
- My idea for this is to make a camera as a living entity in the world, not just a simple "glasspane" that allows player to view the game level.

A dynamic unit HUD stats
- Only display stats whenever applicable or not obstructing the player view.

A Mana Khemia styled turn based system
- Might not make it if I have no idea on how it works by the end of this week's Friday.

In summary: Updates on mostly back-end stuff.
Aug 14, 2016 7:24 AM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #5]

New dev entry came early by a day cause I am having plans for tomorrow.

Changelog:

+ Pathfinding now checks against occupied and non-walkable tiles. This means no more overlapping units while moving to destination.
+ Unit HUD stats are now dynamic by nature. It only appears when hovered over a unit or clicked upon. Then, displays no more than 10 seconds before fading out. (*Completed one of last week's objective) (Image below)
+ Removed both HP and Power bars and replaced them with text numbers.
+ Enable unit self-rotation.
+ Unit now can only perform Move once per turn.
+ Camera smoothing.
+ Spawn location is an Actor now, not just a particle effect.
+ Implemented enemy spawn point.
+ Tons of animation bug fixes.

Next week objectives:

1. Last Week's Overall Progress: A "living" camera
+ Implemented camera smoothing.
+ Made a TV static noise material.
- Failed to make it immersive yet reactive to the real world as an actual entity.
- Do not have any specific plans on how to achieve this.

Note: Needs more research on game immersion, cinematography and GUI designs.

2. Enemy unit AI
The biggie after pathfinding. I suppose another few days of sleepless nights to figure this shit out.

3. Blueprint optimisation/cleaning
Perform housekeeping on my visual scripts to make it properly documented and viewed.

Backlog:
1. Conditional Turn Based System
On my research of Mana Khemia turn based system, this is what I have found out. Easy to implement but rather difficult to balance. This will be on my top priority to be implemented once I have laid down all of the foundation necessary for a TBS 2D grid game. (*One of last week's objectives)
worldeditor11Aug 14, 2016 7:31 AM
Aug 26, 2016 5:10 AM
Apr 2013
[Dev Diary Entry #6]

A lot of development on all fronts since I am on a holiday. Plus, a lot of reading as well.

Changelog:
+ Mortar. Animate projectile trajectory based on supplied graph. Explosion radius and damage is simulated using line tracing.
+ Grass procedural generator.
+ Rocks procedural generator.
+ Spawn points now provide locations to move to after spawning based on radius and number of units. Works for both enemy and ally.
+ Fix minor map bugs.

On progress:
1. A "living" camera
+ Implemented camera shake whenever necessary.

2. Enemy unit AI
+ Utility based AI framework

Did a bit of research on AI and settled on this one. Centers around scoring each action available and taking decisions based on those scores.

3. Blueprint optimisation/cleaning

Plan to optimise traversing nodes during pathfinding.

Backlog:
1. Conditional Turn Based System
worldeditor11Aug 26, 2016 5:15 AM

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.