Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2016 5:10 AM

Jan 2015
I watched the first season of Tokyo Ghoul a few months back and although I enjoyed the concept, I absolutely hated how pathetic Kaneki was in that first season.
I didn't watch √A until just a couple of days back and I thought that it was an improvement in Kaneki's character from the first season.(The story might be inferior but I can't watch some shit character in anime and Kaneki was like that in the first season).

Now, I have started reading the manga and I am on Chapter 14. As I said, the concept of Tokyo Ghoul intrigued me even in the anime but the manga is way better so far, especially Kaneki. I am enjoying the manga, no doubt and I am pretty sure it'll make its way into one of my favorites. But the problem is, that its taking me too f*king long to read each chapter of the manga.
I used to read manga pretty quickly but while reading Tokyo Ghoul, I am making a constant effort to read patiently giving significance to the details and reading it like a book while imagining in my mind as someone suggested to me. I have to say I am enjoying this way better.

But the thing is that I just cant wait to get on and read from where I dont know about the story. I mean I know what's gonna happen and its just taking some of that enjoyment away and I am feeling like it'll take me too long till I reach a part where there is mystery and I thoroughly start enjoying it.

Also, each chapter of Tokyo Ghoul is far, far longer than other weekly manga. I am not talking about the pages but the frames and pictures on each page combined with the dialogue. Anime like Naruto use 3 chapters on average for an episode but I can't believe that Tokyo Ghoul anime used almost 6 chapters per episode. Each chapter of Tokyo Ghoul gives double the content other weekly manga and yet they manged to finish 66 chapters in 12 episodes.

Anyways, if you managed to get through all that, I'll put my real question in here : How should I read the manga? Should I just quickly have a look at the chapters till 66 because I know what's gonna happen? Will that take away from the enjoyment?
Jan 6, 2016 5:28 AM

Mar 2014
How is it taking you too long? Each chapter is 20 pages more or less, it's not that heavy on dialogue.. it's a good thing that you pay attention to details though. Also I wonder how you enjoyed Kaneki's character way more on root A, since he practically had no screentime or dialogues/monologues.

Anyway, I strongly recommend continuing reading the manga instead of skipping to the part where the first season ended. You said that you disliked Kaneki in the 1st season, but through the manga you can actually understand his character better and see that he is not that naive as he appears in some moments of the anime. Some things are altered on the anime or not shown at all anyways.
Jan 6, 2016 5:42 AM

Jan 2015
danae_97 said:
How is it taking you too long? Each chapter is 20 pages more or less, it's not that heavy on dialogue.. it's a good thing that you pay attention to details though. Also I wonder how you enjoyed Kaneki's character way more on root A, since he practically had no screentime or dialogues/monologues.

Anyway, I strongly recommend continuing reading the manga instead of skipping to the part where the first season ended. You said that you disliked Kaneki in the 1st season, but through the manga you can actually understand his character better and see that he is not that naive as he appears in some moments of the anime. Some things are altered on the anime or not shown at all anyways.

Well, as I said, I am reading the dialogues, paying attention to the details in the manga and then imagining the scenes play out as it would do in an anime in my mind, like you would do while reading a book. So, that's how its taking me long.

And its really dialogue heavy. I am on the 15th chapter so the real action hasn't really started yet, I guess.

I didn't just disliked Kaneki's character in the first season of the anime, I downright despised it. He simply didn't develop and kept on going on with his naive ideals even after going through so much. It was simply pathetic to watch him.

I should say that I enjoyed his character relatively more in √A, because he wasn't acting like that kid, who is that foolish idealist. He understood the world much better in it.

It's taking me around 10-12 minutes to read each chapter and I think that's long, isn't it?
Jan 6, 2016 12:27 PM

Sep 2013
Keep reading.

Lol at the fact that you liked the garbage that was Kaneki in rA more than S1 Kaneki (which was bad to begin with). He was AWFUL in rA, like, was he even a character?

Don't be a speed-reader, take your time and keep reading.
Jan 6, 2016 11:44 PM

Jan 2015
Avok said:
Keep reading.

Lol at the fact that you liked the garbage that was Kaneki in rA more than S1 Kaneki (which was bad to begin with). He was AWFUL in rA, like, was he even a character?

Don't be a speed-reader, take your time and keep reading.

No matter how bad Root A might have been, Kaneki at least wasnt a wimpy crybaby in that.
Jan 7, 2016 1:40 PM

Sep 2013
Inferno792 said:

No matter how bad Root A might have been, Kaneki at least wasnt a wimpy crybaby in that.

Nope, he was an edgefest that dind't even talk.
What's wrong with being a crybaby? It makes room for development in the future.
AvokJan 7, 2016 6:36 PM
Jan 7, 2016 1:57 PM
Aug 2015
You should read from the beginning the anime and maNga are completely different the maNga has alot of details the anime didn't have
Jan 8, 2016 2:23 AM

Jan 2015
Avok said:
Inferno792 said:

The thing is that Kaneki never developed from a crybaby. He remained one for the entirety of season 1 and there was no development at all.
It comes down to preference, i guess. I just can't stand such characters who don't develop and remain idealistic throughout.

BaconKingpin said:
You should read from the beginning the anime and maNga are completely different the maNga has alot of details the anime didn't have

Yeah, doing that now.
Jan 8, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2013
Start from the beginning and truly appreciate it.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 11, 2016 6:32 PM
Aug 2015
Inferno792 said:
Avok said:

The thing is that Kaneki never developed from a crybaby. He remained one for the entirety of season 1 and there was no development at all.
It comes down to preference, i guess. I just can't stand such characters who don't develop and remain idealistic throughout.

BaconKingpin said:

Yeah, doing that now.

Just to let you know kanekis personality is dark asf in Tokyo Ghoul re
Jan 13, 2016 7:58 PM

Oct 2009
Kaneki is a psychopath post chapter 53 in :Re so that should inspire you to catch up quickly.

Jan 14, 2016 6:28 AM

Jan 2015
lucjan said:
Kaneki is a psychopath post chapter 53 in :Re so that should inspire you to catch up quickly.

Well, I am not that avid of a manga reader. I read about 111 chapters of the manga patiently in a few days and now, I am a little bit put off. Like, I wanna read the manga but its pretty low on my priority list, with the limited time I have these days.
So, that's why I wanted to read from a particular point so that I would be able to catch up and then read the manga weekly. I prefer anime much more than manga.
Jan 14, 2016 1:34 PM

Oct 2009
Inferno792 said:
lucjan said:

Well, I am not that avid of a manga reader. I read about 111 chapters of the manga patiently in a few days and now, I am a little bit put off. Like, I wanna read the manga but its pretty low on my priority list, with the limited time I have these days.
So, that's why I wanted to read from a particular point so that I would be able to catch up and then read the manga weekly. I prefer anime much more than manga.

The best part of the manga is the Anteiku raid, and you're just about there. :Re will definitely put you off at first. First 50 chapters are somewhat annoying but it pays off once Kaneki becomes Frieza.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite girl?

zero00guard - Apr 3

18 by DylP1ckl3n »»
Apr 6, 8:26 PM

» Is there any pedophilia/sexual assault in the books?

Saiunknown - Mar 25

19 by Sturdies »»
Mar 28, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2012

39 by hakuxweeb »»
Mar 26, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 58 Discussion

Stark700 - May 19, 2014

19 by angelqie »»
Mar 21, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2013

20 by SirFries »»
Mar 5, 6:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.