Forum Settings
Forums

What is your all time favorite anime and why?

New
Nov 29, 2015 7:16 AM

Oct 2015
Hello everyone. What is your all-time favorite anime and why is it your favorite anime? Like if you were stuck on a deserted island with a dvd player that would never die and could only have one anime with you which one would you choose? Don't get caught up on the never dying dvd or try to tear it open to use as some type of McGyver laser beam or something either. Just use anime logic and go with it.

For me it would be Shakugan No Shana. Not because it's the best anime ever although I did really enjoy it but because not only was it the first anime I have watched in a really long time but it was also the first anime I've watched since my brother moved back to the same state and we watched it together so I have really great memories of the time we spent watching the show together. Plus Shana's so adorable. It is also the show that got me back into anime. I haven't watched much anime since I was a kid.

Just hearing the original OP theme song brings back a lot of memories and I also really enjoyed the fact that the company who made it gave it a proper ending. The third season is really hit or miss for a lot of people but I loved it and salute J.C. Staff for taking the show in a new direction and giving Shana and pals a proper send off. I hate it when an anime ends and doesn't tie up all the loose ends or leaves the main plot up in the air because maybe, possibly, someday, probably never they might but probably won't make a sequel or something.

Anyway, that's my all time favorite......so far :D. Sure it's not as great technically as Bakemonogatari or Magica Madoka nor as deep as Haibane Renmei but Shana has one thing none of those shows has.....melon bread. Okay, that's not really it but there's just a big happy spot in my heart because of Shana and that's why it's my favorite.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2015 7:22 AM

Feb 2013
stuck on a deserted island ,i'd just get sazae-san or one piece or smth
Nov 29, 2015 7:22 AM

Jul 2015
Dora the Explorer. Why?
Nov 29, 2015 7:24 AM

May 2015
The Moomins. It's perfect.
Nov 29, 2015 7:29 AM

Jun 2008
I was gonna make a lame ass cory in the house joke, but I thought better of it....

Death Note has been my #1 for many years now....but I think once the Monogatari series ends, that will overtake it....not one particular season, but the series as a whole.
Nov 29, 2015 7:32 AM

Jul 2015
BLACK BULLET

Yeah I'm serious........not really .Still this was actually pretty good .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 29, 2015 7:41 AM

Nov 2015
full metal panic the second raid
hair cutting scene
Nov 29, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2015
Pispas said:
Dora the Explorer. Why?

I love this meme .I think I have too much dark humour .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 29, 2015 7:44 AM

Jan 2013
Ashita no Joe

This series has everything I could ask for. Delinquent MC, sports, drama, comedy, romance (here and there) and most importantly a great story line. Every element listed above are linked with each other perfectly, it feels like the author just let the characters "write" the story themselves and he would just observe things. Ashita no Joe has also created one of the greatest main characters ever like Joe or Rikiishi, both my all time favourites.
Nov 29, 2015 7:45 AM

Mar 2015
look at my profile. look at my favorites.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 29, 2015 7:49 AM

Jun 2014
Pispas said:
Dora the Explorer. Why?

Stop dissing Dora the Explora'. I swear you're a Brony.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 29, 2015 7:50 AM

Jun 2015
Couldn't tell ya. I literally have five of them.
Nov 29, 2015 7:50 AM

Feb 2015

K-on
Because i love music. and thank god it's not an ecchi show, it will ruin the show if it's an ecchi show.

and Haruhi.
I don't know why i like this anime -_-"

the last one gonna be NGNL.
You know why i like that anime :D
YizelTroNov 29, 2015 7:55 AM
Nov 29, 2015 7:51 AM

May 2014
Abraham Lincoln believed with all his heart that Inferno Cop was the greatest anime of all time
Being the radical progressive that secured women's rights by campaigning for prohibition, I'm obliged to agree with him every step of the way
Nov 29, 2015 7:52 AM

Jul 2011
The one at the top of my favourites.
Nov 29, 2015 7:55 AM

Mar 2014
Seinfeld
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 29, 2015 7:59 AM

Jul 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Pispas said:
Dora the Explorer. Why?

Stop dissing Dora the Explora'. I swear you're a Brony.

Nov 29, 2015 8:29 AM

Jul 2015
I think my favorite anime is different than what I would take with me on a deserted island.
My favorite anime are on my favorites list.
I would take some comedies to the island, like OHSHC and Ghost Stories.
Nov 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Apr 2015
Code geass
it has everything i need in an anime
Nov 29, 2015 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Inazuma Eleven
It was my first anime. I'm soooo glad that it was my first. I entered the anime world starting from this one. It's about soccer, I was still am a soccer freak and this has great soundtracks during matches, friendship, plot-twists. I re watched this anime 11 times and sequels' 4-6 times.
Nov 29, 2015 8:44 AM

Jun 2015
Haikyuu.
Nov 29, 2015 8:46 AM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Seinfeld

Seinfeld is great but I also love Toy Story, Shrek, and Friends.

Cory in the House is overrated tbh.
Nov 29, 2015 8:46 AM

Dec 2012
Bakemonogatari

Before watching Bakemonogatari, I never thought people simply talking would be so entertaining, witty, compelling enough to make me glued to the screen. It's just so enjoyable hearing the characters talk, which is something not a lot of shows can accomplish. The heavy dialogue, that I really appreciate in Monogatari.

The Characters: The main reason I love this so much it's full of interesting characters and to be more specific I love this anime because of Senjougahara Hitagi. Never in my life have I seen a character so unique , unpredictable and charismatic she is just the star of the show with her strong and witty personality and excellent romance with Araragi. Her presence just leaves me in awe. Her dialogues with Araragi were top notch and the best of the show with them going back and forth with words. There is literally nothing that I even remotely dislike about her (just like how Araragi said it, Teehee). I love how it's an impressive character study, with a lot of layers to it. Niso's writing of his characters is phenomenal. And it's shown in Monogatari second season in Nadeko and Hanekewa. I love how the supernatural elements complement the character development and depth of the characters in very artistic and inspiring ways.

Episode 12 of Bakemonogatari is my all time favorite anime episode. It just perfection. The mood, atmosphere, pacing and direction were simply outstanding. I just loved how it showcased their straight forward yet unique relationship and how much they care and understand one another. I've yet to see a better episode in any sort of anime.

The Voice Actors: verbal performance plays a huge role in the anime so it's filled with a star cast of voice actors, every character's voice fits perfectly. The characters speak so fast in this series with lots of tongue twisters, but the seiyuu cast had done a wonderful job in keeping up. I don't think it's an exaggeration to describe voice acting in this series as epic.I personally think Araragi is Kamiya Hiroshi's best performance it's like Araragi was tailor made for his voice.

It's SHAFT so it's very artistic with great visuals and unique art , the gore and fighting scene were pretty good and the OST fits the tone of the show. Monogatarii is actually the only show where I liked Shaft art don't know why though.

Naruto

I love Naruto and think it's amazing for all sorts of reasons.

The biggest one would be the emotional scenes, and my emotional investment with the characters. I'm just too attached to them. I empathize and sympathize with them. The series evoke a wide array of emotions from me. It's the only fiction that ever made tear up and sometimes even cry a bit, no ever fiction ever had the effect on me. An example of how much I value this, is the fact that, I loved Itachi farewell with Sasuke, more than the Madara massacre. I just feel genuine joy and happiness when I watch some episodes (i.e Naruto meting his mother, Kushiena) To make it more simple, the show knows how to give me the ''feels''. Most of my favorite episode of the series, contain no action in them whatsoever.

I love the writing of the characters, their characterization, development, how they are fleshed out and the execution of them and how much they make me care about them. I find most of them interesting and likable. There is a lot of diversity within the cast imo. I really love the villains, I like how most of them are humanized and not are not just pure black. They are given proper motives and ideals, that doesn't put them in the black/wrong side of things, and how they are not necessarily evil, they just have their own ideals, motives and reasons to do what they do, and achieve what they want, overall they are just interesting and intriguing, and their personalities are distinctive. Pain is one of the best well written villains, I have seen anywhere imo. And Madara is making a run for his money. The whole cast is just fun, memorable, some iconic and hard to get bored of, I barely dislike any character in the series.

The third reason after this, is the story and the plot. I just find it interesting and engaging even after so many years. It always knows how to excite me and give me goosebumps. I like the historical context and background of the series, in how the characters are tied together through generations, and the morals and themes relating to it. I think the plot is solid overall and hard to predict when it counts the most, and in a good way. I also like the overall execution of the themes and how they are presented in the series. I like the foreshadowing, and little details, that become relevant later on. And many other things, that I don't remember now.

Despite the fact that action is the primary genre of Naruto, I only consider it, the fourth reason for my love for it.. The fights are just full of variety and uniqueness. They are memorable and iconic, and never dull. I especially like the choreography and the strategic fights here and there, the abilities, jutsus, the emotional ones etc.

There are other reasons, albeit smaller compared to what I mentioned. Like the art, character design, the magnificent soundtrack/OPs/EDs, the names and references to Japanese mythology, the fact that I never get bored, high entertainment value, rewatch value, Amazing VA cast (Madara's voice is epic) etc.
Nov 29, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
---snip---
wait, you are back?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 29, 2015 8:52 AM

Jun 2015
Planetes. It's got humor, romance, neat psychological elements, and a lot of other interesting things that are (for the most part) handled in a mature and realistic way. I also love the ending.
Oh, and it's set in space. :)

Nov 29, 2015 8:56 AM
Sep 2015
Fate/Zero
Nov 29, 2015 9:00 AM

May 2015
TG
Nov 29, 2015 9:05 AM

Nov 2011
Klad said:
Ashita no Joe

This series has everything I could ask for. Delinquent MC, sports, drama, comedy, romance (here and there) and most importantly a great story line. Every element listed above are linked with each other perfectly, it feels like the author just let the characters "write" the story themselves and he would just observe things. Ashita no Joe has also created one of the greatest main characters ever like Joe or Rikiishi, both my all time favourites.

This^

Eto said:
TG

Yeah Tatami Galaxy is good stuff.
Nov 29, 2015 9:09 AM

Jun 2015
tsudecimo said:
Bakemonogatari

I like lolis

Naruto

/bait
Nov 29, 2015 9:10 AM

Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
snip
YOU'RE NOT PERMA'D?

HOLY SHIT

DOES THIS MEAN IMMAHNOOB ALSO WILL COME BACK?
Eto said:
TG
Tatami Galaxy is indeed amazing
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 29, 2015 9:11 AM

Aug 2015
Bakemonogatari.
Nov 29, 2015 9:12 AM

Jul 2013
Of my favorites, Fullmetal Alchemsit: Brotherhood and the Monogatari Series (all the entries).
Nov 29, 2015 9:39 AM

Nov 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Seinfeld

George Costanza is my waifu
Nov 29, 2015 9:48 AM

Mar 2014
My favorite is at the top of my favorites list. As for the island question, probably FMA:B because it's amazing and over 60 episodes (length is important here). One Peice is another contender, I don't like it that much but it's like 1000 episodes and the island theme would be fitting considering the circumstances.
Nov 29, 2015 9:49 AM

May 2015
FMA 2003 but I'd still take One Piece instead so I could see how it ends.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 29, 2015 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Mawaru Penguindrum is love,Mawaru Penguindrum is life.
Nov 29, 2015 9:55 AM

Jan 2015
I can never decide between Shigatsu and Madoka, I like them for such different reasons, it's hard to pick one over the other.
Nov 29, 2015 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Tevens said:
Cencoroll. Why? just try to watch it yourself, i don't know the reason.

One of my favorites too. I still hope we will see its sequel someday..
Imo its plot idea is very "so-so" but the art and atmosphere is very cool.

Stupid_Yuji said:
What is your all time favorite anime and why?

Here it is.. Why? Because it's a great story and I simply love it for what it is.
Some stuff just made for you and when you discover it you feel it right away.

Nov 29, 2015 11:10 AM

Jun 2015
My 2 favourite animes because i can't chose one of them are Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Comedy Wa Machigatteiru and all seasons from Monogatari Series, and why? Only the people who have watched that shows know.
Nov 29, 2015 11:12 AM
Nov 2009
That would be Steins;Gate, but I cannot elaborate on why, for I watched it 3 years ago and I don't remember, yet I know I liked it a lot, more than anything else.
Nov 29, 2015 11:31 AM

Oct 2014
Nodame Cantabile. Not one of my 10's but it's got 3 seasons and can be enjoyed even with my eyes closed for the musical pieces alone.
8oomerNov 29, 2015 11:34 AM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Nov 29, 2015 11:44 AM

Apr 2015
Monogatari series very very much awesome fun, outstanding but balanced cast, loli, incest, action, blood, toothbrushing, crazyness & huricane.

LOLH: best & OP MC, great adventure with Eris, killing & trolling in same time, many threads etc. Oh it's magic - U knowwwww....
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Nov 29, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
ishiZY said:
Monogatari series very very much awesome fun, outstanding but balanced cast, loli, incest, action, blood, toothbrushing, crazyness & huricane.

I love you.
Nov 29, 2015 11:51 AM
Mar 2014
Index, I guess. I don't like the anime itself as much as I like seeing some scenes from my all time favorite LN series animated, though. But yeah, hearing the OPs/EDs gives me a ton of feels.

If you exclude that, then it's UBW, because I love F/SN with all my heart and even though it shouldn't even count as an adaptation, it did portray the events in the UBW route pretty well, some pacing issues aside, and watching those, even without what made them so great in the VN, still reminded me of those scenes and the memories just make it so amazing to watch, especially with the great, flashy animation, a unique atmosphere and insert songs like Last Stardust that make me scream at the top of my lungs whenever I recall them lol.

Now, my actual, standalone favorite all time anime is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. That's because it's fucking awesome. And Love & Rock is the best ending in anime.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 29, 2015 11:53 AM
Jul 2014
Cory In The House
Nov 29, 2015 11:55 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
Bakemonogatari

Before watching Bakemonogatari, I never thought people simply talking would be so entertaining, witty, compelling enough to make me glued to the screen. It's just so enjoyable hearing the characters talk, which is something not a lot of shows can accomplish. The heavy dialogue, that I really appreciate in Monogatari.

The Characters: The main reason I love this so much it's full of interesting characters and to be more specific I love this anime because of Senjougahara Hitagi. Never in my life have I seen a character so unique , unpredictable and charismatic she is just the star of the show with her strong and witty personality and excellent romance with Araragi. Her presence just leaves me in awe. Her dialogues with Araragi were top notch and the best of the show with them going back and forth with words. There is literally nothing that I even remotely dislike about her (just like how Araragi said it, Teehee). I love how it's an impressive character study, with a lot of layers to it. Niso's writing of his characters is phenomenal. And it's shown in Monogatari second season in Nadeko and Hanekewa. I love how the supernatural elements complement the character development and depth of the characters in very artistic and inspiring ways.

Episode 12 of Bakemonogatari is my all time favorite anime episode. It just perfection. The mood, atmosphere, pacing and direction were simply outstanding. I just loved how it showcased their straight forward yet unique relationship and how much they care and understand one another. I've yet to see a better episode in any sort of anime.

The Voice Actors: verbal performance plays a huge role in the anime so it's filled with a star cast of voice actors, every character's voice fits perfectly. The characters speak so fast in this series with lots of tongue twisters, but the seiyuu cast had done a wonderful job in keeping up. I don't think it's an exaggeration to describe voice acting in this series as epic.I personally think Araragi is Kamiya Hiroshi's best performance it's like Araragi was tailor made for his voice.

It's SHAFT so it's very artistic with great visuals and unique art , the gore and fighting scene were pretty good and the OST fits the tone of the show. Monogatarii is actually the only show where I liked Shaft art don't know why though.

Naruto

I love Naruto and think it's amazing for all sorts of reasons.

The biggest one would be the emotional scenes, and my emotional investment with the characters. I'm just too attached to them. I empathize and sympathize with them. The series evoke a wide array of emotions from me. It's the only fiction that ever made tear up and sometimes even cry a bit, no ever fiction ever had the effect on me. An example of how much I value this, is the fact that, I loved Itachi farewell with Sasuke, more than the Madara massacre. I just feel genuine joy and happiness when I watch some episodes (i.e Naruto meting his mother, Kushiena) To make it more simple, the show knows how to give me the ''feels''. Most of my favorite episode of the series, contain no action in them whatsoever.

I love the writing of the characters, their characterization, development, how they are fleshed out and the execution of them and how much they make me care about them. I find most of them interesting and likable. There is a lot of diversity within the cast imo. I really love the villains, I like how most of them are humanized and not are not just pure black. They are given proper motives and ideals, that doesn't put them in the black/wrong side of things, and how they are not necessarily evil, they just have their own ideals, motives and reasons to do what they do, and achieve what they want, overall they are just interesting and intriguing, and their personalities are distinctive. Pain is one of the best well written villains, I have seen anywhere imo. And Madara is making a run for his money. The whole cast is just fun, memorable, some iconic and hard to get bored of, I barely dislike any character in the series.

The third reason after this, is the story and the plot. I just find it interesting and engaging even after so many years. It always knows how to excite me and give me goosebumps. I like the historical context and background of the series, in how the characters are tied together through generations, and the morals and themes relating to it. I think the plot is solid overall and hard to predict when it counts the most, and in a good way. I also like the overall execution of the themes and how they are presented in the series. I like the foreshadowing, and little details, that become relevant later on. And many other things, that I don't remember now.

Despite the fact that action is the primary genre of Naruto, I only consider it, the fourth reason for my love for it.. The fights are just full of variety and uniqueness. They are memorable and iconic, and never dull. I especially like the choreography and the strategic fights here and there, the abilities, jutsus, the emotional ones etc.

There are other reasons, albeit smaller compared to what I mentioned. Like the art, character design, the magnificent soundtrack/OPs/EDs, the names and references to Japanese mythology, the fact that I never get bored, high entertainment value, rewatch value, Amazing VA cast (Madara's voice is epic) etc.
Such walls of texts for such shitty and generic shows lmao.
Nov 29, 2015 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
Shitcom.
Nov 29, 2015 3:02 PM
Nov 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin
Nov 30, 2015 6:43 AM

Oct 2015
Lots of awesome anime's. I need to watch a bunch of them. I guess it's possible while being stranded on a remote island for more dvd's to wash up on shore and of course since we're still using anime logic then obviously they would just happen to be your favorites so more than one is good :D

Bakemonogatari is definitely one of my favorites. Right now it's only show I just absolutely cannot wait for each new episode to come out. The Perfect Insider is growing on me. I hope it all wraps up really well because so far the series is pretty intriguing.

I still need to watch Code Geass. Haven't been able to find it online not on Crunchyroll, Hulu or Netflix :( so I will probably end up just buying it.

Madoka and Haibane Renmei are also really good, oh and I just finished Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster or Blast of Tempest and that show needs a lot more attention. I just picked it randomly but was very surprised.

I now need to look through everyone's favorites in their profiles. I forgot I could do that so thanks. My must watch anime list just got a lot bigger. :D
Nov 30, 2015 12:16 PM
Nov 2015
chunibyo demo koi ga shitai, I love the characters, I love the relationship between yuta and rikka, I love the story, the atmosphere, I love the themes of the show just every thing, to me this is a perfect anime and is my favorite anime of all time
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
21 seconds ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 43 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

86 by LeonhartAugust »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

82 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.