Forum Settings
Forums

Introspective Introspection: The ever consuming beast that is your mind.

New
Nov 2, 2015 2:44 AM

Jan 2014
This is a shit thread, go die OP.

Introspection can be a very good thing, reflecting of what makes you you, figuring out where you went wrong, assessing your own feelings, beliefs and thoughts, questioning what you believe to be true, improving upon the foundation that is you. But can too much introspection be a bad thing? Can you look to much into your own flaws and have them grow to the point where that's all you can focus on? Can it lead to being more and more depressed, a never ending cycle of introspection leading to depression leading to introspection and so on and so on and so on? Can you stare too long into the abyss and have it consume the very being that is you?

Discuss. Is too much introspection really a bad thing? If so, why?
ThrashMattoNov 2, 2015 2:53 AM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 2, 2015 2:47 AM

Sep 2014
I think it most definitely can be a bad thing. I've been introspecting for so many years, that I think I've just generally come to hate myself in general.
Nov 2, 2015 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
yes
Nov 2, 2015 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
introspection is so meta dude, you think about your thoughts
Nov 2, 2015 9:52 AM

Mar 2014
As Bernkastel said, without a map or a tour guide, you'll end up like Rene Descartes; essentially holding back not only himself but also other philosophers for two fucking centuries.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 2, 2015 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
I'll be fine. I can handle myself.
Nov 2, 2015 9:57 AM

Jul 2015
Yes to all.

I would personally be a lot happier, if I could figure out how to stop ruminating over every single (flawed) aspect of my personality.
Nov 2, 2015 10:00 AM

May 2014
I think a happy person doesn't need to introspect himself since he knows himself well.
I've been here way too long...
Nov 2, 2015 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
Bernkastel said:
Introspection is like a treasure hunt, sometimes you discover cool treasures, other times you get seriously hurt. Would not advise deep introspection without a map or a tour guide.

Well yeah,but some people do not know how to dig,so they often hit themselves with their shovel on their head.
Nov 2, 2015 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
I think it most definitely can be a bad thing. I've been introspecting for so many years, that I think I've just generally come to hate myself in general.

Mischievous said:
Bernkastel said:
Introspection is like a treasure hunt, sometimes you discover cool treasures, other times you get seriously hurt. Would not advise deep introspection without a map or a tour guide.

Well yeah,but some people do not know how to dig,so they often hit themselves with their shovel on their head.

hahaha true and made me laugh ^^
Nov 2, 2015 10:07 AM

Mar 2014
TheConquerer said:
I think a happy person doesn't need to introspect himself since he knows himself well.

Introspection is not discovery - at least not in my book. Introspection is about seeing the empty spaces in your mind and then fitting the best ideas, thoughts, beliefs, ideologies, in that space. Sometimes, you will see that there are useless things fitted in there; that's when you take them out and replace them with the better ones. The mind is empty (tabula rasa) and then introspection is what helps you sort your mind. Kind of like debugging of a computer or an antivirus scan and most of the times, it's simply installing new, better, software.
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 2, 2015 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
I reflect on myself often and it can make me hate myself, yeah. But I'd rather know I'm an asshole than be an unaware one.
Nov 2, 2015 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
geniobastardo said:
As Bernkastel said, without a map or a tour guide, you'll end up like Rene Descartes; essentially holding back not only himself but also other philosophers for two fucking centuries.

clearly you know what it's like to not have a map and a tour guide.
Nov 2, 2015 10:52 AM

Mar 2014
Happy_Halloween said:
geniobastardo said:

clearly you know what it's like to not have a map and a tour guide.

I do. I strayed too far away from my comfort zone to only see that there's nothing ahead. Kind of like Rene Descartes. I mean, you can sum up the findings of his whole life in a sentence, with which he probably began with, ''I think, therefore I am''.
~Oscar
[/i]

More topics from this board

» How many B Vitamin pills can one take a day ?

scarydragon - 3 hours ago

8 by logopolis »»
4 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 9 hours ago

15 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

39 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 5 hours ago

19 by xthewarwithinx »»
12 minutes ago

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

6 by traed »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.