Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2015 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Hello.
I composed a little music recently. It's quite hard to describe it, but basically, I just wanted to compose something with both my synthpop (mainly Yellow Magic Orchestra) and jazz (and jazz-fusion) influences in mind. Maybe a little bit of chiptunes as well.

Here is the track : Brainstorming

I composed this only with a Nintendo 3DS. It was pretty fun.
Sep 29, 2015 7:01 PM
Sep 2015
great. best song I've heard all week
I'll be adding it to my video game music collection

makes me want to buy a 3ds. what specifically did you use.

can you make it downloadable?
Sep 30, 2015 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
vegetarian-wolf said:
great. best song I've heard all week
I'll be adding it to my video game music collection

makes me want to buy a 3ds. what specifically did you use.

can you make it downloadable?

Hi !
Thanks a lot for the compliment, it makes me really happy !

For this track, I used a soft called the "Korg DSN-12" which is basically a Korg MS-10 (a legendary monophonic and analog synth of the 70's) emulation for the 3DS, except that there is twelve monophonic tracks available (so it's like composing with twelve Korg MS-10).
It's a soft developed by Detune, whose CEO is Nobuyoshi Sano.

If you're not familiar with the analog synth world and subtractive synthesis, it can look quite geeky to use it at first, but it quickly become very fun and addictive. Actually, I don't even play video games with my 3DS anymore lol. Each time I turn my console on, I just end up using Detune's softwares (the Korg DSN-12 or the Korg M01D) instead.
If you want to see how it looks, here is a video with Nobuyoshi Sano himself and one of his stuff he composed with the software :

Unfortunately, I can't really make my track downloadable on soundcloud yet, because I'm making an album with the tracks I compose only with the 3DS, and Brainstorming is one of these tracks. But if you really want, I can pm you a link to the track. Would you prefer to have it as an mp3-320 or flac ?
Oct 1, 2015 12:59 AM

Mar 2015
Yooo this is dope, wish chiptune jazz would become more of a thing haha.

Reminds me of PROTODOME, and his stuff is amazing!
Oct 1, 2015 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Congress said:

Thanks very much, dude !

Yay, a nice MAL user introduced me to PROTODOME's works a few months ago. He's a killer, I dig his music a lot !

I love chiptune jazz too, and other than PROTODOME, I personally discovered this music genre with Shnabubula's "Game Genie" and Blitz Lunar's "Triptunes"... Sick stuff.
There is a lot of other great chiptune jazz artists as well, you can easily find them through the netlabel Ubiktune and soundcloud (Fearofdark, Tony Thai, Maxo's early stuff, Zackery Wilson, tom_atom, etc). Don't hesitate to check them out !
Oct 1, 2015 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Nice tune man.. Always wanted to incorporate some chiptune flavor in my stuff too.
However I'm not big fan of the hardware in general, all I need is Ableton alone.

I recall one very jazzy tune by YMCK, always makes me smile

Oct 1, 2015 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
kuuderu said:
Nice tune man.. Always wanted to incorporate some chiptune flavor in my stuff too.
However I'm not big fan of the hardware in general, all I need is Ableton alone.

I recall one very jazzy tune by YMCK, always makes me smile

A thousand thanks kuuderu, I'm super glad you listened to and liked my tune (I'm the sasakure.uk's fan from one of those vocaloid thread, I remember that I really appreciated your recommendations) !

YMCK are one of my biggest chiptune influence. Love their stuff, always full of catchy, fun, cute and groovy music.
My favourite album from them is Family Genesis, and my favourite track is probably Rain (absolutely adore the chorus, so lovely !).

Yeah, chiptune flavor is always welcome.
I don't use Ableton, but sometimes, I like to add chiptune sounds in tracks I make with a DAW too (Cubase is my main choice).
To tell the truth, I'm not a big fan of hardware either. I just love composing with video game consoles because I'm a big fan of handheld game console since I'm a kid, that's it.

Btw, if it can help you, my favourite chiptune VST is Plogue Chipsounds, really top-notch and intuitive software, I recommend it.
Also, YMCK themselves created a very cool 8bit software (a freeware on top of that), it's called Magical 8bit (like their Magical 8bit Tour), you should try it.
Oct 1, 2015 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
Cartox said:
YMCK are one of my biggest chiptune influence. Love their stuff, always full of catchy, fun, cute and groovy music.
My favourite album from them is Family Genesis, and my favourite track is probably Rain (absolutely adore the chorus, so lovely !).

Yes, indeed they're very nice, love them too..

Cartox said:
I don't use Ableton, but sometimes, I like to add chiptune sounds in tracks I make with a DAW too (Cubase is my main choice).

To tell the truth, I'm not a big fan of hardware either. I just love composing with video game consoles because I'm a big fan of handheld game console since I'm a kid, that's it.

Btw, if it can help you, my favourite chiptune VST is Plogue Chipsounds, really top-notch and intuitive software, I recommend it.
Also, YMCK themselves created a very cool 8bit software (a freeware on top of that), it's called Magical 8bit (like their Magical 8bit Tour), you should try it.

Many thanks, I think I really will try it. To be honest, I have no experience
with game consoles at all, I came to electronic music from guitar background
and despite my big interest in electronic in general, I still lack alot of knowledge
in that area. If only I had Japanese language skills, I would start to compose
with vocaloids immediately, I just fascinated by them very much. But seems like
my only choice for now is very limited to English voicebanks. Not a big deal,
but still.. the beauty of Japanese language and image is where it's at ;)
Oct 3, 2015 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
kuuderu said:
To be honest, I have no experience
and despite my big interest in electronic in general, I still lack alot of knowledge
in that area.

No experience, really ? Not even Pokemon or Zelda ?
This is pretty rare.

kuuderu said:
If only I had Japanese language skills, I would start to compose

Yeah, I'm not too much into vocaloids but I know that feel, man.
I often tend to think making your own PV and writing songs in japanese are one of the main appeal of vocaloids.
Oct 3, 2015 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
Cartox said:
kuuderu said:
To be honest, I have no experience
in that area.

No experience, really ? Not even Pokemon or Zelda ?
This is pretty rare.

I just didn't have any console at all. I had PC but it's another story..
It would be more convinient for me to use just vsti or sample packs.
afaik chiptune guys use "real-deal" in their setups but as I said earlier
I have no interest in hardware ...the only hardware I still have is some
analog synths but I don't use them. Despite digital vs. analog debate
is no longer relevant to me, I will not sell them for obvious reasons.

Cartox said:
kuuderu said:
If only I had Japanese language skills, I would start to compose

Yeah, I'm not too much into vocaloids but I know that feel, man.
I often tend to think making your own PV and writing songs in japanese are one of the main appeal of vocaloids.

I like the whole idea.. Software generated vocals that can sing almost everything
what is programmed. Tons of people dislike them for unnatural and "electronic" sound
but this is exactly the qualities for which I love them! Furthermore, every voicebank
represented as beautiful personality which can be used in any artwork, video etc..
Oct 4, 2015 1:34 PM

Mar 2015
Cartox said:
Congress said:

Thanks very much, dude !

Yay, a nice MAL user introduced me to PROTODOME's works a few months ago. He's a killer, I dig his music a lot !

I love chiptune jazz too, and other than PROTODOME, I personally discovered this music genre with Shnabubula's "Game Genie" and Blitz Lunar's "Triptunes"... Sick stuff.
There is a lot of other great chiptune jazz artists as well, you can easily find them through the netlabel Ubiktune and soundcloud (Fearofdark, Tony Thai, Maxo's early stuff, Zackery Wilson, tom_atom, etc). Don't hesitate to check them out !

You're welcome, you should definitely make more!

And woah, thank you. I've hit the jackpot with all these names!

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
45 minutes ago

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.