Forum Settings
Forums

Super Earth Hakai √Defrag - Official Video Game Thread

New
Sep 27, 2015 10:51 PM

Apr 2015

Hey guys! I've been working on a project for quiet some time now, and I'm at the point where getting community participation in the development process is necessary.

But first, here's some screenshots and videos, and please keep in mind that the game is essentially pre-alpha at this stage, some textures and model fixes are going to be applied on the progress that's already made. The same applies for the gameplay mechanics and animations.

Join Naka Takayama and her friends to restore a derelict world

The destruction of the Earth caused by the excessive pollution of man-kind, can only be restored by these students in an attempt to reclaim their original homeland.

About the game

A unique, nostalgic 3D platformer with JRPG elements encompassed in an epic visual novel.

Explore vast areas with plenty of obstacles, puzzles and traps in an attempt to gather crystral fragments needed to restore integrity within the land. Dangerous foes, quests and dungeons are not uncommon in the once stable planet. The epic story of Naka and her friends are well presented in high-quality visual novel sequences, using a plethora of special artwork.

- A solid, fun and addictive gameplay experience.
- Non-linear missions with an open-world experience.
- Grappling hook magic ability, 'Festhaken' for extra mobility.

Story

In the very center of the Earth, a crystal the size of the moon resides. The crystal is integral to the balance of nature and the integrity of the land, balancing input and output life energy. The pollution created by humans covered it with a thick layer, making it highly unstable and eventually breaks under it's own pressure from the excessive life energy obtained. Naka Takayama, a second-year student along with her friends, are given the chance to take a world-wide journey across the lands to ultimately repair the Earth to it's former glory.

Website

The official website now has an official domain! The website is going to be tweaked still, but you will be able to look at some screenshots from here.

Visit the official website.

Currently, this game is a two-man operation with no funding, and I'm currently paying for development out of my own pocket. If anyone want's to get involved, whether it be a 3D or 2D artist, programmer, script writer or scenario planner, just PM me and you can join the team! You could make a single model, drawing or function, or hundreds, any help would appreciated, and your work will be credited, with an appropriate reward or royalties when it's ready to be released.

Latest Trailer -9/3/2016

MysteriousSoulMar 9, 2016 4:42 AM

Oct 4, 2015 1:15 AM

Apr 2015
Here's a prototype of the battle system, there is currently one skill, and that is Cobalt Blast. There will be healing magic and defense magic as well. The AI and camera collision system will be improved, this is just to let you guys know that I'm making progress. As the level design get's more completed, I'll release a much longer gameplay video that shows the other aspects of the game.

Oct 5, 2015 3:01 AM

Apr 2015
Here's an in-depth video of the game and it's development progression.

Oct 5, 2015 3:08 AM

Sep 2014
Wow this is really cool, the game looks really good. I probably wouldn't play it because it's not really a type of game that I play and enjoy but best of luck. I hope it turns out good so you can earn some nice dosh and buy your own harem. (I'm assuming this is your main goal)
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Jan 1, 2016 3:50 AM

Apr 2015
Here are some newer screenshots. Tell me what you guys think! :)

Jan 1, 2016 12:47 PM

Feb 2011
Looks pretty nice! The 2D character portraits could probably use a bit more shading/detailing, so that they mesh better with the 3D parts of the game. While playing the Atelier series of games, I was occasionally thrown off a bit by the use of 2D character portraits vs 3D character models, but overall they do it pretty well (though not as well as the Tales of games do).

What engine are you using to make the game?

Since you two have been going for four months (at least) now, you surely are dedicated. I hope it's not outside the scope of your abilities to finish this project the way you want it to, though. Platformer, RPG and visual novel combined is quite a bit of parts together.
Jan 1, 2016 5:59 PM

Apr 2015
morpholomew said:
Looks pretty nice! The 2D character portraits could probably use a bit more shading/detailing, so that they mesh better with the 3D parts of the game. While playing the Atelier series of games, I was occasionally thrown off a bit by the use of 2D character portraits vs 3D character models, but overall they do it pretty well (though not as well as the Tales of games do).

What engine are you using to make the game?

Since you two have been going for four months (at least) now, you surely are dedicated. I hope it's not outside the scope of your abilities to finish this project the way you want it to, though. Platformer, RPG and visual novel combined is quite a bit of parts together.

The 2D character portraits are going to be more detailed in the end, those were literally my first attempts at digital drawing haha xD

I'm getting a team together and so far I have an additional 3D modeler so that always helps. As for the engine, I'm using Unreal Engine 4 and a plug-in I created for visual novels. The visual novel sequences uses a custom script language I made tailored for those specific functions.
MysteriousSoulJan 1, 2016 6:03 PM

Jan 1, 2016 6:03 PM
Apr 2013
Is it an in-house engine or a third party like Unity or Unreal? Looks good nevertheless.
Jan 1, 2016 6:25 PM

Apr 2015
worldeditor11 said:
Is it an in-house engine or a third party like Unity or Unreal? Looks good nevertheless.

Its Unreal Engine 4, with some custom plug-ins. So it's not Unreal out of the box.

Jan 1, 2016 6:40 PM

Jan 2013
this looks really cool :o

nice job /o/
Jan 2, 2016 6:44 AM

Apr 2015
shuryukan said:
this looks really cool :o

nice job /o/

On a side note, I've got a contract from a Japanese artist for the opening theme, I might include it in the upcoming trailer!

Jan 3, 2016 7:01 AM

Jun 2015
looks real nice m8! i wish i could lend a hand but sadly I'm still not so good at 3d modeling just yet... but if i happen to get better (or good enough) before it's finished, i will try to help :)
BobbyElBJan 3, 2016 7:06 AM
Jan 17, 2016 8:20 AM

Apr 2015
I've got a couple of shots from the Kata Tjuta, Australia mission. Take a look!

Jan 17, 2016 9:47 AM

Feb 2011
Annuvin said:
Ever thought of using cel-shading? Pretty sure it would mix well with your art style. Anyway it looks fun, wish I could help but currently stuck doing games in the abomination known as Unity.

Cel-shading works great for anime-style games, but I'm not sure if it's supported by UE4. The characters presently look high-quality, but rather uncanny valley, which cel-shading might prevent (if it can be made to work).
Jan 17, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
That looks awesome. However, the name is very difficult to remember and seems like a low-quality product. I mean... Couldn't you think of something more catchy?
Jan 17, 2016 6:45 PM

Apr 2015
morpholomew said:
Annuvin said:
Ever thought of using cel-shading? Pretty sure it would mix well with your art style. Anyway it looks fun, wish I could help but currently stuck doing games in the abomination known as Unity.

Cel-shading works great for anime-style games, but I'm not sure if it's supported by UE4. The characters presently look high-quality, but rather uncanny valley, which cel-shading might prevent (if it can be made to work).

I've already got cel-shading for the game however, UE4 has a really awful implementation of anti-aliasing that causes ghosting of moving objects and plenty of artifacts when moving around. Here are a few screenshots using it with the cel-shader.

Jan 18, 2016 3:28 AM

Apr 2015
Annuvin said:
Hmm, that looks pretty interesting but not as cartoony as I expected.
Are you using a post process effect for the shading? I'm not overly familiar in how it works in UE but I've seen some cel shading effects that didn't cause any problems before.

Here's a pretty interesting toon shader I found earlier in case you want to give it a go.
https://github.com/ArneBezuijen/UnrealEngineToonShading/tree/master
(You'll need an account associated with UE to view the repository)

That certainly looks interesting, too bad they didn't include just the extra source code! Rebuilding UE4 certainly takes a while xD I'll try it some time.

I'm thinking of making a duplicate copy of the game so far, so I can butcher some of the textures and apply filters to give the textures themselves a handpainted look and test how it looks.
MysteriousSoulJan 18, 2016 3:48 AM

Jan 18, 2016 5:26 AM

Apr 2015
So here's a second overhaul test of the graphics in a single day haha xD

Each different rendering technique I've used has it's ups and downs as far as style and appearance during motion goes. I'm thinking my first iteration of the cel-shader above is far too harsh and 'gritty'. This version features a post process effect for the shading on the characters and mobs, and hand-painted textures on the environment.

Jan 20, 2016 6:25 AM

Apr 2015
Annuvin said:
Good job. The scenery could probably use some outlines too (sopel depth based maybe?) but I'm digging the character.

Trust me it's better without the outlines on the scenery haha. Unfortunately any mesh close to the camera render outlines which I'm trying to fix as I speak. It would look alright on large land but on foliage, it makes the texture alpha channel really visible.

This is from Celestial Hills, but this is some work that I've done to make the foliage fit the overall style better.

Jan 20, 2016 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, I always turn off outlines in games. They're atrocious .-.
Jan 26, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2015
I think I've got mad. Re-did basically most of the 3D aspect in the game. The previous iteration was basically a testing ground for all of the skills and mechanics which I've devoted 90% of the dev time to. I've spent maybe 10 or so hours trying to perfect the tone, contrast and saturation to try and give the overall style more 'emotion'. There's a real sense of beauty and hope for the Earth, yet it's got the gloomy, ominous clouds and shading to also reflect the devastation and the ignorance of man-kind.

Seems a bit weird saying this but the Spongebob movie game for ps2 that I used to play years ago inspired some of the platforming aspects tbh. Now time to fix some of the tiling you can see haha xD

MysteriousSoulJan 26, 2016 8:52 PM

Feb 13, 2016 3:42 AM

Apr 2015
I've got some more gameplay, once again, it's still early in development. There will be more diversity in mobs, weapons and combos etc. Some UI elements are going to added etc. But here's a look at the revamped version!

Feb 13, 2016 6:15 AM

May 2015
Looking good so far! :)

Will you be making any changes to make animations and movement more fluid?
Feb 13, 2016 6:18 AM

Apr 2015
ItsBerry said:
Looking good so far! :)

Will you be making any changes to make animations and movement more fluid?

Yeah, I'm starting to get a handle on animation. It's definitely my weakest point atm as I mainly do programming and writing, with limited knowledge of modelling. Once I overcome that weak point I'll start thinking seriously about getting a campaign ready for Steam Greenlight.
MysteriousSoulFeb 13, 2016 6:41 AM

May 1, 2016 8:29 AM

Apr 2015
It's been a long time so I thought I'd share something to show that I'm still working on it! Tell me what you guys think of this particular soundtrack :)

May 12, 2016 9:23 AM

Apr 2015
Showing some more stuff once again! Here's a few screenshots from different animated cutscenes (with English subs on).

Aug 20, 2016 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Here's a very dynamic soundtrack that appears in a particular scene. It would be great to get some feedback :)

Aug 21, 2016 11:57 AM

Oct 2011
It looks pretty good so far, are you working on this all on your own or do you have a team of people?
Aug 25, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2015
GreenKouhai said:
It looks pretty good so far, are you working on this all on your own or do you have a team of people?

I'm working on it myself. I've had a hard time getting a team together honestly, but I'm hacking away on it never-the-less. I've just gotta finish up the script, I'm about 60% there. What I'm really at a disadvantage in is 3D character modelling and rigging so I'm hoping to find talent in that area. I've got a lot more done than what's shown, but they are all prototype basic cubes, cylinders and spheres haha.

Feb 18, 2017 3:36 AM

Apr 2015
It's been a long time since I've updated this xD And over a year since I've updated the synopsis... some major story changes have been made.

I'll start by uploading this piece of music I've made for the game literally a few hours ago. So there has been some character re-designs and more characters have been 3D modelled. Getting there bit-by-bit!

The script so far is about 3 hours in length for the first chapter, with about 25 minutes having to be done with cutscenes (just not feasible with static characters and backgrounds). So bare with me, animation takes some time.

The skills I've learned that I didn't have prior to making this game is music composition, character rigging and painting (textures are now hand-painted digitally with OpenCanvas).

New Song Revealed:
By the Sea

More topics from this board

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

4 by DreamWindow »»
2 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

370 by JTRAnimeNewb »»
5 hours ago

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

20 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» Made An Anime Youtube Video thoughts?

panque - Apr 23

7 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 1:03 PM

» share your amv! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Animetwins - May 5, 2015

1011 by Freshell »»
May 11, 12:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.