Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Love Hina Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 5, 2015 3:33 PM

May 2015
Okay before I ask the big question, I'm going to state now I am still watching the show and haven't finished it. I would like someone who knows this show to explain to me why this very mediocre anime got popular?
Aug 14, 2016 10:23 AM
Sep 2014
for those call this anime generic as hell, they are both wrong and right depending on which year they watch this show

because this show is actually the beginning of everything...
Nov 19, 2016 11:28 AM

Sep 2015
I was thinking about this while watching it as well. Probably because it's interesting from a historical viewpoint. This was the anime that defined the harem rom-com sub-genre and the genre clichés should have been much more fresh 15 years ago, which must have made a much better experience back then, though I think it was never good, just fresh and new and this somewhat boosted it's popularity. There are some pretty bad old anime that has classic status.
Jan 10, 2017 9:20 AM

Aug 2016
This show is the beginning of "the rise of harem/ecchi genre" Just like madoka re-shape magical girl genre.

This is the original template on how to make harem anime with tsundere....
Jan 28, 2017 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
Fried_Potato said:
This show is the beginning of "the rise of harem/ecchi genre" Just like madoka re-shape magical girl genre.

I kinda get this, but Tenchi Muyo came out first and was an established franchise before Love Hina. So how did this one harem get more popular than Tenchi and be the template for harem archetypes?
Jan 29, 2017 1:08 AM

Aug 2016
Lil-Bird said:
Fried_Potato said:

I kinda get this, but Tenchi Muyo came out first and was an established franchise before Love Hina. So how did this one harem get more popular than Tenchi and be the template for harem archetypes?

Well I would say its about popularity......
and the enjoyment of the audience and manga readers at that time (around 2000-2002)

I think the setting of Love Hina has more "core" to the harem genre, since Tenchi Muyou! still has elements of Shounen and Fantasy.
On the other hand Love Hina presents its story as Slice of Life with out any supernatural elements and fantasy and so by that being said, Love Hina is the "pure" harem, ecchi SoL. That is why it becomes the template.

this is just my opinion tho, im not an expert in story telling or character devt. or shit like that...
Jan 29, 2017 8:49 AM

Apr 2013
Fried_Potato said:
and the enjoyment of the audience and manga readers at that time (around 2000-2002)

I think the setting of Love Hina has more "core" to the harem genre, since Tenchi Muyou! still has elements of Shounen and Fantasy.
On the other hand Love Hina presents its story as Slice of Life with out any supernatural elements and fantasy and so by that being said, Love Hina is the "pure" harem, ecchi SoL. That is why it becomes the template.

this is just my opinion tho, im not an expert in story telling or character devt. or shit like that...

Ah, that actually makes sense, thanks. Even though these days I've been seeing much more fantasy/sci-fi elements in harems, prior to the sudden boom in light novel adaptations, that was (and still is) true of harems.

Meanwhile, the "main guy gets constantly beat up for comedic timing" has been toned down, probably for the best. That was probably my biggest issue with Love HIna was the punchline relied on Keitaro getting punched/kicked/slapped into the air. It was used way too much that it stopped being funny, and that's where my biggest headscratcher in its popularity lies.
Jan 13, 2019 9:21 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Probably nostalgia? I don't know. This was one of the very first anime I ever saw as a kid (because it was one of the only anime on YouTube that somehow slipped under their copyright radar) and I remember loving this show. But going back as an adult it's just not very good. It's pretty generic, goes on for way too long (given how little it progresses plot wise), and the Ecchi humor is all really annoying. But to be fair I think the whole reason it seems so generic now a days is because this show literally went on to become the template for all future harem anime. And as a result all its tropes (which were fresh at the time) gotten driven into the ground after being used so many times.
KyotosomoJan 13, 2019 9:29 PM
Feb 7, 2019 5:39 PM

Aug 2009
Mediocre? The series is fantastic. The comedy is so random that it gives you quite a fresh feeling to it while being entertaining. The directing is pretty great too at times, with some scenes having way more depth, creativity or interesting perspective than you'd expect from a series like this, for example, at the end of episode 2.
Thr real feat here is the anime only things. Funny scenes and little visual stylistic devices that weren't in the Manga, but enhance the experience of the anime. Compare it with various boring current Manga adaptations that are not only boring with their animations. In love Hina, the animations are detailed and fluid when necessary, and look great at those times.

Honestly, this show is just great. I really wish there were more shows with the quality of this show. It's a classic, and personally I feel it totally deserves that status, regardless of if it had been popular or not.
Aug 15, 2019 1:11 AM

Apr 2017
Uh, it was popular because it was good.
Silly goose.
Awoo :3
Aug 15, 2019 1:20 AM

Jul 2016
The real question is why the hell some people like Negima! and UQ Holder! anime despite the anime butchered the source material so hard and much worse than Love Hina anime?
Aug 15, 2019 10:26 AM

Oct 2018
I watched this and Tenchi Muyo around the times they respectively hit the market and found Tenchi to be a bit clunky at times, but a fairly entertaining Harem Anime. Whereas Love Hina was incredibly mediocre for the most part, filled with stereotypical characters compared to Tenchi's fairly original cast of characters, which sets it apart from many of the more generic harem Animes that populate the Anime Market these days.
Aug 15, 2019 10:38 AM

Oct 2018
Lil-Bird said:
Fried_Potato said:

Ah, that actually makes sense, thanks. Even though these days I've been seeing much more fantasy/sci-fi elements in harems, prior to the sudden boom in light novel adaptations, that was (and still is) true of harems.

Meanwhile, the "main guy gets constantly beat up for comedic timing" has been toned down, probably for the best. That was probably my biggest issue with Love HIna was the punchline relied on Keitaro getting punched/kicked/slapped into the air. It was used way too much that it stopped being funny, and that's where my biggest headscratcher in its popularity lies.
Agreed, I hated how obstructionist the violent interruptions were, it ruined a lot of the character development when most of these girls continued to beat up on Keitaro even as respect for him was supposedly growing. The character development felt extremely stunted with this constant backsliding to physical violence against the maturing Keitaro.
MKSTEELAug 15, 2019 10:43 AM
Aug 15, 2019 10:44 AM

Jun 2014
Because this was one of the first harem Anime with a "Loser MC."

I've never read/watched it, because I don't read/watch harem stuff.

Oct 15, 2020 5:50 AM

Aug 2017
I found it extremely entertaining, sweet, cute, romantic. It's one of the best I've ever seen.
Dec 20, 2020 8:05 AM
Nov 2019
I can’t believe it’s 20 years old..... I remember seeing a few episodes when I was 14 in 2001 . For some reason it would started after neon Genesis Evangelion lol
Feb 26, 2021 5:51 PM
Nov 2020
Just look at the year. Slapstick was seen as a necessary element of a comedy and animes were talking from both Tom and Jerry and Kyogen (traditional japanese comedy).

It was toned down over last 20 years to fight the violence, but it is still here.

Look at Horimiya for example, where the heroine delivers bone crushing blows to MC and her father on regular basis (one more reason to dislike it).
Mar 14, 2021 9:56 PM
Nov 2020
Nostalgia for sure, and there wasn't anything quite like it back then. Watching it now for the first time won't be the same as watching it back in the early 2000s for the first time because you're already influenced by other titles that have released along the way.

I read the manga too back then. Those were good days. I miss those simpler times.
Apr 5, 2021 7:41 AM
May 2019
You know what i remember reading this in the past but don`t have a memory as to what happen in the story until i try to watch the anime and makes me remember the reason why i can`t remember anything from this series ahjdbsjdhns
Apr 9, 2021 1:04 AM
May 2019
My god.. what a fucking waste of brain cells. I'm a feminist and all, but god I wanna slap that Naru so bad. And the MC too has no fucking backbone whatsoever.
Me being a completion-freak, had to watch it with great patience. Bhenchod kuch bhi!!
Aug 9, 2021 4:36 PM

Nov 2013
Fried_Potato said:

So this is the source of evil, huh
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 13, 2021 1:49 AM

Jul 2010
This is not as bad as people say. Sure the hitting keitaro joke is overused a little but I enjoyed the show overall.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Dec 15, 2021 10:17 AM
Dec 2017
its one of the first harem genres ever to be made.

Mar 9, 2022 8:13 AM
Mar 2022
Because anime in the west was a pretty tight import in the early 2000s with only a small selection of titles you could legally watch back then. This was one of them, so it was a gateway to the medium for a lot of impressionable kids.

The manga's not bad, from what I remember. (Who cares if it was a generic slapstick romcom? How fragile do you have to be to get upset about slapstick violence)
The show is a really clunky, bad adaptation though
Feb 17, 2023 12:30 PM

Nov 2013
A lot of people recommend this anime, but I've only watched 10 episodes and it's extremely boring. 
It may have been great when it came out, but now 202x, I still don't understand why people still recommend it.
tqk2811Feb 17, 2023 12:36 PM
Mar 24, 2023 10:02 PM
Jul 2022
Lil-Bird said:
Fried_Potato said:

Wouldn’t Ranma 1/2 be the first harem/ reverse harem due to the gender bending element in the story?

Mar 25, 2023 10:01 AM

Apr 2013
KarmaSanctify said:

Wouldn’t Ranma 1/2 be the first harem/ reverse harem due to the gender bending element in the story?

Nope, it's what's called a "love dodecahedron" because it being a love triangle wasn't wacky enough. In fact, the Ranma 1/2 fandom is where the term originally came from, and how "love diagrams" came to be.
Jun 12, 2023 12:36 PM
Dec 2018
Good question even eight years after the OP's initial post. I'm trying to get through it right now and I think without the constant, CONSTANT Keitaro abuse that is simply unfunny (and creepy shit like
), it would be much better. All its absurdist high jinks, likeable OST, and tender moments are so charming so it's a pity the comedy can often be so one-note, especially considering Keitaro, while a bumbling fool, isn't even doing anything WRONG the majority of the time he gets Team Rocket blastoffed. All he has to do is just LOOK at Naru the wrong way and she's punching his lights out... like, there was the episode where she was a pop star (... okay) and she tries to hide from the rich, vain douchebag who became her manager in the tub WHILE KEITARO IS BATHING and shoves the pet turtle in his mouth... and after she climbs out with wet clothes, she socks him to hell just for LOOKING AT HER. What a bitch!! SHE invaded HIS personal space while he's naked and bathing, something she absolutely forbids HIM to do. I just fail to see how it's funny.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Hina Episode 19 Discussion

Karikaturata - Dec 24, 2009

10 by mercurytenshi »»
Jan 24, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Love Hina Episode 20 Discussion

innominateink - Jul 24, 2009

23 by mercurytenshi »»
Jan 24, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Love Hina Episode 10 Discussion

scyntherei - Oct 12, 2009

14 by Koumazoku »»
Jan 9, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Love Hina Episode 11 Discussion

scyntherei - Oct 12, 2009

14 by Touch_Me-sama »»
Jan 6, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Love Hina Episode 23 Discussion

Kucai82 - Jun 15, 2009

12 by robtosca »»
Jan 2, 10:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.