Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2015 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
As the title says, when you get a new vehicle, what's the first mod you do?

My first mod is always a drop kit because I drive trucks and I like my vehicles as low as possible and trucks come way too high. So I put on a 4/6 or 5/8 drop until I get all the stuff to bag it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 5, 2015 6:37 PM

Aug 2015
I would take out all the emission controls (air pump, charcoal canister, exhaust gas recirculation, etc.) and gut the cat or grab a catless midpipe.

Doing this frees up some space for a catch can (most of the time), so I would install one of those second.

I would hook up a wideband AFR gauge and play around with an Access Port* (*only on OBD2 cars, if it is OBD1 or earlier I would leave it alone b/c I don't want to pay it out the butt for a proper standalone).

I would relocate as many things in the engine bay as possible (battery, fluid reservoirs, etc.) to get a clean and freed-up look.

I would go CAI, not necessarily for increased performance, but it's just that stock intakes are big and ugly with the airbox and everything.

I would try to tuck/remove/rework some of the wires and hoses in the engine bay to get it looking even cleaner (I am not an electrical engineer or anything, so I would never go as far as to do my own wiring).

Lastly, I would scrap the ABS if I am really after a super clean look.
NWSSep 5, 2015 6:40 PM
Sep 7, 2015 11:33 PM

Apr 2013
I'm definitely doing coilovers and wheels first for my Maxima. That's just while I'm in college, but I plan to install a turbo after college. Those would technically be my first mods, speaking of just my plans.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about not.....I kinda want an E46.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 9, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2012
Tires. Anyone (meaning you three above me) who says different is fucking retarded.
That is, of course, if I'm driving the car every day. If it's a project,like my 240Z, engine/suspension/drivetrain/wheels/tires/interior shit is all happening at once so it doesn't really matter. Basically whatever fits on the car first during reassembly becomes the first modification.
Negative-TravisSep 9, 2015 8:09 PM
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Sep 9, 2015 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
I don't consider tires a mod, unless you need to upgrade tires for racing/drifting or whatever but I don't really do that. Unless I get a vehicle that just has shitty tires on it, normal street tires are just fine.

And most people don't have the money to do engine/suspension/drivetrain/wheels/tires/interior all at once. Lol
Sep 10, 2015 8:23 PM

Mar 2012
hardhitta71194 said:
And most people don't have the money to do engine/suspension/drivetrain/wheels/tires/interior all at once. Lol

Neither do I. I'm just stockpiling shit as I can afford it.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Sep 11, 2015 1:10 PM

Dec 2014
In order of most important with basic budget:
1) Tires> Upgrade to Touring or High wet performance Z rated. Wheels too if needed.
2) Brakes> Pads and rotors, rear drum swap to rotors, larger but no need for slots or holes.
3) Suspension. Probably coil-overs and new sway bars.
4) Engine bushings for FWD. Gotta loose the torque steer. Definitely an LSD if $$ permits.
5) Performance> CAI, less restrictive exhaust. Can't gut the pipe since I live in an emission state. Flashed ECU/ chip for now.
6) Cosmetic upgrades (modernized appeal).

For me, Safety first, then handling, then performance, then cosmetics based on experience.
Sep 11, 2015 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Negative-Travis said:
hardhitta71194 said:

Neither do I. I'm just stockpiling shit as I can afford it.

Ah I gotcha. I can't do that. I can never make myself wait. When I get a new part I have to put it on. Lol
But it's a lot different building something for racing/drifting then just a show truck. I would probably do what you said if I was completely rebuilding something for racing but I don't race much, I'm usually more Low and Slow.
Apr 13, 2016 8:50 AM

Sep 2012
First mod for me would be tints! it's feels like everyone is staring if I don't have tints. after that exhaust or intakes.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Cars You Own[ed] ( 1 2 )

iSheep - Aug 6, 2015

66 by Midnight_R »»
Jun 5, 2016 9:49 AM

» First car you ever drove

LeveQ - Aug 20, 2015

29 by Kirito-Dragneel »»
Apr 13, 2016 8:49 AM

» Tryna get a Bimmer, E46

iSheep - Sep 7, 2015

8 by iSheep »»
Sep 20, 2015 12:03 AM

» Using iPhones as brake pads.

MidnightLPA - Aug 28, 2015

6 by MidnightLPA »»
Sep 3, 2015 11:44 AM

» What got you into automotives?

removed-user - Aug 18, 2015

17 by removed-user »»
Aug 19, 2015 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.