Forum Settings
Forums

Difference between a main and supporting character

New
Aug 30, 2015 5:25 PM
Jul 2012
So I've been wondering what are the guidelines for labeling a character as a supporting or main character.

For example; Tachibana Marika from Nisekoi is labeled as a supporting character. Marika plays a major role in Nisekoi throughout the whole series, she receives major arcs, she's one of the possible promised girls, as well as the heroine that progress the story more than any other.

Another example would be Chihayafuru and it's multiple characters such as

Arata I definitely think of Arata as a main character myself even though he rarely is a part of the story. He has focus than any of the following characters I am about to mention.

Meanwhile the members of Chihaya and Tachi's karuta club are labeled as supporting characters while having major impact towards the story as well as having lots of time in the story focused on both their development and own personal challenges.

So what I'm mainly trying to ask is what is the guidelines for labeling a character as a support vs main character in myanimelist database.
Sep 14, 2015 5:05 PM

Jul 2015
A supporting character is a character that supports or influences the main characters in some way.
The author decides the main characters, and anyone who supports their development, plot progression, etc is labeled a supporting character.

It's kind of like a Main/Minor character in fictional writing.
Sep 14, 2015 5:12 PM
Jul 2012
I understand that but I am talking about myanimelist guidelines because for example Tachibana Marika should be labeled as a main character yet she's stuck in the supporting character role in this database.
Sep 14, 2015 5:21 PM

Jul 2015
Jakerams said:
I understand that but I am talking about myanimelist guidelines because for example Tachibana Marika should be labeled as a main character yet she's stuck in the supporting character role in this database.
Tachibana may have had some arcs, and may be one of the chosen girls, but I still would not label her as 'main' character. In truth, the only 'main' characters are Chitoge, Ichijou and Onodera..
Sep 14, 2015 6:14 PM
Jul 2012
ReaperX- said:
Jakerams said:
Tachibana may have had some arcs, and may be one of the chosen girls, but I still would not label her as 'main' character. In truth, the only 'main' characters are Chitoge, Ichijou and Onodera..
Marika easily plays a bigger role in the story than Chitoge and Kosaki. Kosaki has nothing going for her in the story minus being a love interest of Raku's meanwhile Chitoge character has developed overtime but she has done nothing storywise. Meanwhile Marika character developed overtime, she also influence the protagonist to the point the story changes for the better, she is still one of the potential 4 promised girls (even though so is Yui but she wasn't used except to spark the development of Raku, Marika, and Chitoge.) so Marika plays a very important role in the story. A main role considering the story isn't just Kosaki and Chitoge. Another example would be that Yui had only a few chapters before she got her reply from Raku meanwhile Raku said what he was going to do but he never got the chance to because a huge story arc developed in which no side character in Nisekoi would ever get.
Sep 15, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
Jakerams said:
ReaperX- said:
Marika easily plays a bigger role in the story than Chitoge and Kosaki. Kosaki has nothing going for her in the story minus being a love interest of Raku's meanwhile Chitoge character has developed overtime but she has done nothing storywise. Meanwhile Marika character developed overtime, she also influence the protagonist to the point the story changes for the better, she is still one of the potential 4 promised girls (even though so is Yui but she wasn't used except to spark the development of Raku, Marika, and Chitoge.) so Marika plays a very important role in the story. A main role considering the story isn't just Kosaki and Chitoge. Another example would be that Yui had only a few chapters before she got her reply from Raku meanwhile Raku said what he was going to do but he never got the chance to because a huge story arc developed in which no side character in Nisekoi would ever get.

She is doing a very good job at supporting the progression of the 3 main characters, for sure. The only reason she has any other screen/manga time is because she IS a chosen girl, and if you're caught up in the manga...

**SPOILER**
...she is about to be cut out entirely.. It's going to boil down to Onodera vs Chitoge for Raku..

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1405 by St0rmblade »»
May 6, 8:32 AM

» Character Picture move Request

Yunan13 - May 4

0 by Yunan13 »»
May 4, 6:47 AM

» Norio Wakamoto did narration for Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu 2

ryu2k2 - Apr 21

0 by ryu2k2 »»
Apr 21, 6:17 AM

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Apr 18, 1:45 AM

» Character Picture Move Request

SimpleXtra - Apr 17

0 by SimpleXtra »»
Apr 17, 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.