Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2015 8:39 AM

Aug 2015
Hey I just started producing drum & bass in the summer, here is a link to my SoundCloud account. Please follow me if you enjoy the music and give me some tips on songs so I can improve. TY!

https://soundcloud.com/eonclipse
Aug 30, 2015 2:19 PM

Jul 2009
I like the moods overall, but there are things that I can see you'll improve on just through practice. I don't want you to think I'm being a dick or anything here, I'm just trying to give advice :)

In "Come on Baby', some of the vocal samples shouldn't be there as they sound like they're just pointless, meaning the 'its a smash hit' bit. Take out those samples, add in some more bass and it would be really good.

In 'Evolution' there is too much compression going on and you can hear it constantly. Lots of frequencies are just being pulled back and it doesn't feel dynamic because of it. There are some good sounds there but the compression really gets in the way.

'Nova' - I think the 8bit sounds are too loud and the bass seems to disappear when it comes in, which makes the transition a bit strange. It could also do with a bit more progression or just be shorted. Again though, I like it.

With 'Starship' it's the same again with the compressor, it needs to be brought down a bit. I like the filter sweeps.

'Waterfall' - the drums are too low in the mix. Some interesting melodies in there.

Overall, you can tell that you're new to making music, but there's potential there so keep at it and I'm sure in a years time when you look back, you'll see a massive difference. Again, this is purely constructive, I'm not trying to be horrible or anything :)
Aug 30, 2015 2:36 PM

Aug 2015
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you took the time to listen to the tracks.
What do you mean by compressor exactly? Most tracks on there is not really mixed other than adjusting the volume levels so I don't think it is supposed to sound compressed. Is there anyway to "uncompress "an uncompressed track if that is the case? I will pay attention to volume levels on future tracks like you said.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback.
Aug 30, 2015 2:37 PM

Aug 2015
And sure I will check out your tracks tomorrow. I have to go to work now :(.
Aug 30, 2015 2:49 PM

Jul 2009
What program is it that you're using? A compressor is something that streamlines the dynamics. It makes the quiet parts louder and the loud parts quieter. If there is too much compression, you hear instruments being made quieter when new ones come in, which is what I can hear.

All I can think, if there are no plug-ins you're using, is that maybe it's the software you're using?
Aug 30, 2015 5:48 PM

Aug 2015
I am using FL Studio and the default plugins. I was more worried that my tracks had too little compression rather than too much since I did not do any mastering at all.

Is it possible that it sounds too compressed because some of the sounds were not really equalized? I know how to equalize now but my first few tracks do not have much equalization. Now that I think about it, too much background noise in the instruments can make it appear louder.

Also, I have a question. How often should I be posting new tracks? I think I am able to keep up with a track every week but I think that will overwhelm people with music and be like spam. However, if I do not post much tracks, I do not get much practice. So should I make a few tracks a month and post the best one each month?But how do I decide which one is the best?
Sep 2, 2015 7:06 AM

Jul 2009
Make as much music as you want. It's all about getting used to how things work. I remember when I started playing with Orchestral sounds I was uploading something every day because I was having fun making it.

I've never used FL before, so I can't really help you there D; EQ shouldn't make things sound compressed unless there's a limiter there though. But yeah, I don't know FL so I don't know what to suggest. Just practice I guess :P you'll start to notice differences over time like I said.

More topics from this board

» share your amv! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Animetwins - May 5, 2015

1010 by ekabu24 »»
3 hours ago

» Impact of Anime on India's Youth & Its effects on Family Dynamics- A Survey

Anituber69 - Apr 10

6 by Anituber69 »»
Yesterday, 9:41 PM

» To Heart 2 Konomi Yuzuhara (MegaHouse 1/6, 2007/2024)

MasterTasuke - May 4

1 by MasterTasuke »»
May 4, 3:10 PM

» "Molly Ringwald"

MeanMrMusician - May 3

0 by MeanMrMusician »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

366 by nin-tendo »»
May 3, 12:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.