Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 5, 2015 9:16 AM

Aug 2014
TookMe6Years said:
alkchf said:

I'm not talking about explanations/interpretations cause I know nothing about it, really :p

I only found that _Charl was dismissing the verses themselves: well, if it is so, what version could possibly be reliable? An arab version?

But then, why can't it be translated? Is every translator/translation available partial in regards to religion? That's exaggerating.

I don't think _Charl meant that you can't translate. I think he is trying to get at is that meaning of those script maybe lost in translation. We can translate as accurate as we can, but the meaning will be different. That is what _Charl is getting at. But of course based on what Olwen statement: Olwen will dismissed it.

Hum... that happens quite often with figurative language, that's true.
Translation theory simply can't guarantee less superficial meanings will be preserved.

Still doesn't explain why for a text to be discussed in English it would have to be
_Charl said:

[...]originally written in english,[...]
Jul 5, 2015 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
cuz we don't understand arabic and it would lessen misinterpret if it's originally written in english
Jul 5, 2015 9:21 AM
Apr 2014
Deus-Vult said:
Rakaxo said:

I don't think Yugoslavia was neutral in the first place. I think they did become enemy with the Soviet when Titio did dress up in the same clothes as Stalin while visiting there, something that did piss Stalin off. As for China. Well they did trade with the US and and the capitalist 1st world after Nixons visit there. I also think they did give support to some anti Communist leaders like Augusto Pinochet. But i may be wrong.
Vietnam War
Chinese supported North Vietnam
clearly there hav been tensions between those 2 contris
and Pinochet is a Fascist but leans to the likes of Ferdinand Marcos and Suharto

Well there were tension betwen Vietnam and China countriest in the cold war. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War. Saying that both side were good friends beacuse they supported each other is like saying the US and the USSR were friends because they both supported Saddam in the Iraq-Iran war.

As for Pinochet being a fascist. You will be suprise how many country in the cold war had good relationship even if they had diffrent ideologies. Like the US and Ceaușescu Romania and Cuba and Falangist Spain ect. I think that Mao was a friend of Marcos personally.
RakaxoJul 5, 2015 9:25 AM
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2013
alkchf said:

Translation theory simply can't guarantee less superficial meanings will be preserved.

Still doesn't explain why for a text to be discussed in English it would have to be
_Charl said:

[...]originally written in english,[...]

It really means nothing much in debate. Basically if the Quran was written in English native speaker first and not Arabic native speaker. Can't get much simpler than that.

_Charl said:
cuz we don't understand arabic and it would lessen misinterpret if it's originally written in english

This should suffice.
Jul 5, 2015 9:27 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
Rakaxo said:
neither did all people in east Timor ask for help from Indonesia. And not all people in east Timor wanted to be a part of Indonesia.

lmao
Let's make it simple.
"My brothers try to kill my family. Dad, mum and I want to be saved. I call my uncle who is a policeman and my brothers kill my dad and mum, then attack police. Then, my brothers killed by Police. I ask my uncle to adopt me, because I want to live."
Something like this, right?

That's so stupid i don't even know what i have to say.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:30 AM
Apr 2014
Deus-Vult said:
still doesnt end the fact that China is a 2nd world country

But still. They were not allways against the western world like you say.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:30 AM

Aug 2014
TookMe6Years said:
alkchf said:

It really means nothing much in debate. Basically if the Quran was written in English native speaker first and not Arabic native speaker. Can't get much simpler than that.

_Charl said:

This should suffice.

That really fells like intelectual dishonesty :/
Jul 5, 2015 9:33 AM

Jan 2015
Rakaxo said:
Deus-Vult said:
still doesnt end the fact that China is a 2nd world country

but u did say taht China had distance itself from USSR
China made itself as a mediator to the 1st world instead
but still, the distrust is still in the middle
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 5, 2015 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
Rakaxo said:

Grats, denialfag. It's better than your theories.
My point is still standing and you can't accept that Fretlin threatened and killed civilians and they asked Indonesia to help them to take over their territories?
Jul 5, 2015 9:40 AM
Apr 2014
Deus-Vult said:
Rakaxo said:

Are trying to say that China did not distance itself from USSR?

_Charl said:
Rakaxo said:

Grats, denialfag. It's better than your theories.
My point is still standing and you can't accept that Fretlin threatened and killed civilians and they asked Indonesia to help them to take over their territories?

I did never denie that Fretlin threatened and killed civilians. I did just say they were not communist. You are just making shit up because you can not accept the fact that you goverment did some fucked up shit in the past.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:42 AM
Jul 2018
Oh, I forget to say that Fretlin vs Indonesia army happened at 1975. It was still in Cold War period.

You are just making shit up because you can not accept the fact that you goverment did some fucked up shit in the past.

???
People died because of civil wars and you blame Indonesia?
They asked for help, you helped them and they blame you.

removed-userJul 5, 2015 9:47 AM
Jul 5, 2015 9:43 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
Oh, I forget to say that Fretlin vs Indonesia army happened at 1975. It was still in Cold War period.

So?

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
Rakaxo said:
Deus-Vult said:

lol no
I was even supporting it
I meant that China and other Capitalist states maintained a good relation but still has a strain due to the events happened like the Korean War and Vietnam War
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 5, 2015 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
[quote=alkchf][quote=TookMe6Years]
alkchf said:

That really fells like intelectual dishonesty :/

I apologize. Well I admit on my part giving a circular answer. However, I will be lying if I said I know, can read, and can translate/interpret Arabic. Not being able to read Arabic/English isn't the problem obviously.

It's just a statement. And I just don't what to do with it. It's just there.

Jul 5, 2015 9:46 AM
Apr 2014
Deus-Vult said:
Rakaxo said:

lol no
I was even supporting it
I meant that China and other Capitalist states maintained a good relation but still has a strain due to the events happened like the Korean War and Vietnam War

Well fair enough. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
Rakaxo said:
_Charl said:

So?

That's why they asked to Indonesia for help.
Indonesia wasn't participate in Cold War~
Cling more to your idea that Indonesia at fault for everything for helping East Timor from Fretilin~
Jul 5, 2015 9:57 AM

Oct 2011
TookMe6Years said:
alkchf said:

You're exagerating on your distrust there, mister

I wouldn't say _Charl exaggerates. Olwen stated himself(paraphrasing): "That any verse in the Quran is a literal interpretation, because an/some Arab stated so. Metaphor interpret is bs." He then stated a list of the verse. To me that isn't evidence of anything. If I don't have preconcept of what a Quran is, I will exclaimed "WTF is that?!"

If I want a "literal interpretation", maybe an instruction manual of "How to microwave goddamn popcorn" will be more reliable. Not a goddamn biblical textbook.

I don't agree with _Charl but Olwen did a terrible job explaining. To be honest the burden of proof was on Olwen.

That's not what I said. I didn't say that there is no metaphor interpretation because an Arab said so.

What I said was: find me a metaphorical interpretation of "slay them wherever you find them."

It's NOT metaphorical. It's literal. How the hell can you say it's metaphorical when other Arabs take it literally too?
Jul 5, 2015 10:02 AM

Nov 2013
What's wrong with nationalism?
Jul 5, 2015 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
@TookMeSixYears

Nvm, sir

I just want to think I can think about Don Quixote or Les Miserables or The Metamorphosis xD

Olwen said:

Saying "some arabs take it literally too" is true.
Saying "[All] Arabs take it literally too" is... generalising.
Every text can be taken literally/at face value, but that's a problem of the reader, not of the text, really.
Jul 5, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2015
War in the name of religion or nationalism is a facade.... Wars are usually started from greed, political control or differences in ideology.
Jul 5, 2015 10:19 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
That's why they asked to Indonesia for help.
Indonesia wasn't participate in Cold War~
Cling more to your idea that Indonesia at fault for everything for helping East Timor from Fretilin~

While when Indonesia claimed they were not part of the cold war, they were for the most time pro USA. And no i don't just blame Indonesia. The US and Australia was also gulty. Still do not excuse the war crimes however. Also we were all part of the cold war. If the had been a war bettween the US and USSR. All country would have been nuked to the ground (Or maybe i are just overdramatic now)

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 10:28 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
Indonesia helping East Timor from Fretilin=Crime
Okay~

You are just reapeating the same thing man.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
They commited war crime?
I think Fretelin who did that~
They massacred civilians.
Jul 5, 2015 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
Rakaxo said:
_Charl said:
Indonesia helping East Timor from Fretilin=Crime
Okay~

Eh? I deleted that, bruh.
Cuz it's not cool to repeat something.
Jul 5, 2015 10:30 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
They commited war crime?
I think Fretelin who did that~
They massacred civilians.

The world is not black and white you know.

_Charl said:
Rakaxo said:

Eh? I deleted that, bruh.
Cuz it's not cool to repeat something.

You were to late.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
You can keep your idea for Indonesia and Fretelin commited war crimes~
Jul 5, 2015 10:38 AM
Apr 2014
_Charl said:
You can keep your idea for Indonesia and Fretelin commited war crimes~

Ok then.

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 11:01 AM

Oct 2011
alkchf said:
@TookMeSixYears

Nvm, sir

I just want to think I can think about Don Quixote or Les Miserables or The Metamorphosis xD

Olwen said:

Every text can be taken literally/at face value, but that's a problem of the reader, not of the text, really.

Copy paste the bit where I said all Arabs take it literally.
Jul 5, 2015 11:17 AM

May 2015
_Charl said:
Rakaxo said:

East Timor asked for help to Indonesia cuz Fretilin massacred civilians. You can say that Indonesia saved them.

TheBraininJar said:
I understand that you think he's right but afraid to admit it.

lol
fyi Quran is written in arabic m8
We are neither Quran experts nor Arabic language experts, how should we know wether it's legit copy-pasta verse or not? Even they misinterpret it, we won't know about it, right?

All you do is telling us our sources might be wrong, but do nothing to prove it.

So what if it's written in Arabic? The Bible is originally written in Hebrew, yet many people read the various translations. There are faults in some of them, and you can find long discussions about these.

You're not defending the Quran but just tell us we could be wrong. We know we could be wrong, but we'll know only if you will provide evidence.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 5, 2015 11:23 AM

Oct 2011
Oh btw I want to add that the burden of proof is on Charl, so he should indeed show us some evidence.

In philosophy, the burden of proof is on the one who makes the positive claim. Here is the positive claim that Charl made:

We shouldn't consider about
teruu said:
reason behind everything.

He made the claim that there is a metaphorical meaning behind "slay them wherever you find them." This was a positive claim. Now, the burden of proof is on him to study it.

Btw it makes no difference whether or not it's in Arabic.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=2&verse=191

Sahih International: And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- îaram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Pickthall: And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

Yusuf Ali: And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

Shakir: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Muhammad Sarwar: Slay them wherever you may catch them and expel them from the place from which they expelled you. The sin of disbelief in God is greater than committing murder. Do not fight them in the vicinity of the Sacred Mosque in Mecca unless they start to fight. Then slay them for it is the recompense that the disbelievers deserve.

Mohsin Khan: And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the sanctuary at Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Arberry: And slay them wherever you come upon them, and expel them from where they expelled you; persecution is more grievous than slaying. But fight them not by the Holy Mosque until they should fight you there; then, if they fight you, slay them -- such is the recompense of unbelievers

7 translators translating that word to "kill" or "slay." It means that in Arabic, it also has the meaning of "kill" or "slay." The translators wouldn't give us a false meaning, translations are supposed to be as accurate as possible.

You know what's even more dangerous than Muslim extremists themselves? People like Charl who defend them and prevent the world from seeing just how dangerous Islam is.
Jul 5, 2015 11:27 AM

Aug 2014
Olwen said:
alkchf said:

Copy paste the bit where I said all Arabs take it literally.

I don't need Arthur Prior saying to me that "A is B" is equivalent to "[All] A is B" to understand that it is.
Specifying that "Some A is B" erases the doubt about generalisation, though.

TheBrainintheJar said:
_Charl said:

East Timor asked for help to Indonesia cuz Fretilin massacred civilians. You can say that Indonesia saved them.

lol
fyi Quran is written in arabic m8
We are neither Quran experts nor Arabic language experts, how should we know wether it's legit copy-pasta verse or not? Even they misinterpret it, we won't know about it, right?

All you do is telling us our sources might be wrong, but do nothing to prove it.

So what if it's written in Arabic? The Bible is originally written in Hebrew, yet many people read the various translations. There are faults in some of them, and you can find long discussions about these.

You're not defending the Quran but just tell us we could be wrong. We know we could be wrong, but we'll know only if you will provide evidence.

He apparently can't grasp that, mister.

Olwen said:

7 translators translating that word to "kill" or "slay." It means that in Arabic, it also has the meaning of "kill" or "slay." The translators wouldn't give us a false meaning, translations are supposed to be as accurate as possible.

This.
Jul 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Oct 2011
I don't need Arthur Prior saying to me that "A is B" is equivalent to "[All] A is B" to understand that it is.

It's widely accepted by linguists that there is a difference between universal statements (all As are Bs) and generic statements (As are Bs).

http://www.slideshare.net/CEG2011/ceg-chapter-4-generic-reference

Skip to page 10.

"A generic statement is not the same as a universal set.

*All lions have a bushy tail.

Generic statements allow for exceptions."
Jul 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Mar 2014
Olwen said:
Oh btw I want to add that the burden of proof is on Charl, so he should indeed show us some evidence.

In philosophy, the burden of proof is on the one who makes the positive claim. Here is the positive claim that Charl made:

We shouldn't consider about
teruu said:
reason behind everything.

He made the claim that there is a metaphorical meaning behind "slay them wherever you find them." This was a positive claim. Now, the burden of proof is on him to study it.

Btw it makes no difference whether or not it's in Arabic.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=2&verse=191

Sahih International: And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- îaram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Pickthall: And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

Yusuf Ali: And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

Shakir: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Muhammad Sarwar: Slay them wherever you may catch them and expel them from the place from which they expelled you. The sin of disbelief in God is greater than committing murder. Do not fight them in the vicinity of the Sacred Mosque in Mecca unless they start to fight. Then slay them for it is the recompense that the disbelievers deserve.

Mohsin Khan: And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the sanctuary at Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Arberry: And slay them wherever you come upon them, and expel them from where they expelled you; persecution is more grievous than slaying. But fight them not by the Holy Mosque until they should fight you there; then, if they fight you, slay them -- such is the recompense of unbelievers

You know what's even more dangerous than Muslim extremists themselves? People like Charl who defend them and prevent the world from seeing just how dangerous Islam is.

Why are you so fixated on this verse is beyond me.......

It's talking about 'war'. The premise for war should be :

"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors." (Surah-al-Baqara 190)

Jihad or better Qital is justified, always. But of course that depends on the one who's waging it.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 11:40 AM

Oct 2011
Why are you so fixated on this verse is beyond me.......

It's talking about 'war'. The premise for war should be :

"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors." (Surah-al-Baqara 190)

Jihad or better Qital is justified, always. But of course that depends on the one who's waging it.

The verse prior to this (190) refers to "fighting for the cause of Allah those who fight you" leading some to believe that the entire passage refers to a defensive war in which Muslims are defending their homes and families. The historical context of this passage is not defensive warfare, however, since Muhammad and his Muslims had just relocated to Medina and were not under attack by their Meccan adversaries. In fact, the verses urge offensive warfare, in that Muslims are to drive Meccans out of their own city (which they later did). Verse 190 thus means to fight those who offer resistance to Allah's rule (ie. Muslim conquest). The use of the word "persecution" by some Muslim translators is disingenuous (the actual Arabic words for persecution - "idtihad" - and oppression - a variation of "z-l-m" - do not appear in the verse). The word used instead, "fitna", can mean disbelief, or the disorder that results from unbelief or temptation. This is certainly what is meant in this context since the violence is explicitly commissioned "until religion is for Allah" - ie. unbelievers desist in their unbelief.

I'm also obsessed with these verses, please address them:

"It is the same whether or not you forwarn them [the unbelievers], they will have no faith" (2:6).
"God will mock them and keep them long in sin, blundering blindly along" (2:15).

A fire "whose fuel is men and stones" awaits them (2:24).

They will be "rewarded with disgrace in this world and with grievous punishment on the Day of Resurrection" (2:85).

"God's curse be upon the infidels!" (2:89).

"They have incurred God's most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits [them]" (2:90).

"God is the enemy of the unbelievers" (2:98).

"The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Christians and Jews], and the pagans, resent that any blessing should have been sent down to you from your Lord" (2:105).

"They shall be held up to shame in this world and sternly punished in the hereafter" (2:114).

"Those to whom We [God] have given the Book, and who read it as it ought to be read, truly believe in it; those that deny it shall assuredly be lost" (2:122).

"[We] shall let them live awhile, and then shall drag them to the scourge of the Fire. Evil shall be their fate" (2:126).

"The East and the West are God's. He guides whom He will to a straight path" (2:142).

"Do not say that those slain in the cause of God are dead. They are alive, but you are not aware of them" (2:154).

"But the infidels who die unbelievers shall incur the curse of God, the angels, and all men. Under it they shall remain for ever; their punishment shall not be lightened, nor shall they be reprieved" (2:162).

"They shall sigh with remorse, but shall never come out of the Fire" (2:168).

"The unbelievers are like beasts which, call out to them as one may, can hear nothing but a shout and a cry. Deaf, dumb, and blind, they understand nothing" (2:172).

"Theirs shall be a woeful punishment" (2:175).

"How steadfastly they seek the Fire! That is because God has revealed the Book with truth; those that disagree about it are in extreme schism" (2:176).

"Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. . . . If they attack you put them to the sword. Thus shall the unbelievers be rewarded: but if they desist, God is forgiving and merciful. Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme. But if they desist, fight none except the evil-doers"(2:190–93).

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. But you may hate a thing although it is good for you, and love a thing although it is bad for you. God knows, but you know not" (2:216).

"They will not cease to fight against you until they force you to renounce your faith—if they are able. But whoever of you recants and dies an unbeliever, his works shall come to nothing in this world and in the world to come. Such men shall be the tenants of Hell, wherein they shall abide forever. Those that have embraced the Faith, and those that have fled their land and fought for the cause of God, may hope for God's mercy" (2:217–18).

"God does not guide the evil-doers" (2:258).

"God does not guide the unbelievers" (2:264).

"The evil-doers shall have none to help them" (2:270).

"God gives guidance to whom He will" (2:272).

"Those that deny God's revelations shall be sternly punished; God is mighty and capable of revenge" (3:5).

"As for the unbelievers, neither their riches nor their children will in the least save them from God's judgment. They shall become fuel for the Fire" (3:10).

"Say to the unbelievers: ‘You shall be overthrown and driven into Hell—an evil resting place!'" (3:12).

"The only true faith in God's sight is Islam. . . . He that denies God's revelations should know that swift is God's reckoning" (3:19).

"Let the believers not make friends with infidels in preference to the faithful—he that does this has nothing to hope for from God—except in self-defense" (3:28).

"Believers, do not make friends with any but your own people. They will spare no pains to corrupt you. They desire nothing but your ruin. Their hatred is evident from what they utter with their mouths, but greater is the hatred which their breasts conceal" (3:118).

"If you have suffered a defeat, so did the enemy.We alternate these vicissitudes among mankind so that God may know the true believers and choose martyrs from among you (God does not love the evil-doers); and that God may test the faithful and annihilate the infidels" (3:140).

"Believers, if you yield to the infidels they will drag you back to unbelief and you will return headlong to perdition. . . .We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. . . . The Fire shall be their home" (3:149-51).

"Believers, do not follow the example of the infidels, who say of their brothers when they meet death abroad or in battle: ‘Had they stayed with us they would not have died, nor would they have been killed.' God will cause them to regret their words. . . . If you should die or be slain in the cause of God, God's forgiveness and His mercy would surely be better than all the riches they amass" (3:156).

"Never think that those who were slain in the cause of God are dead. They are alive, and well provided for by their Lord; pleased with His gifts and rejoicing that those they left behind, who have not yet joined them, have nothing to fear or to regret; rejoicing in God's grace and bounty. God will not deny the faithful their reward" (3:169).

"Let not the unbelievers think that We prolong their days for their own good. We give them respite only so that they may commit more grievous sins. Shameful punishment awaits them" (3:178).

"Those that suffered persecution for My sake and fought and were slain: I shall forgive them their sins and admit them to gardens watered by running streams, as a reward from God; God holds the richest recompense. Do not be deceived by the fortunes of the unbelievers in the land. Their prosperity is brief. Hell shall be their home, a dismal resting place" (3:195–96).

"God has cursed them in their unbelief" (4:46).

"God will not forgive those who serve other gods besides Him; but He will forgive whom He will for other sins. He that serves other gods besides God is guilty of a heinous sin. . . . Consider those to whom a portion of the Scriptures was given. They believe in idols and false gods and say of the infidels: ‘These are better guided than the believers'" (4:50–51).

"Those that deny Our revelation We will burn in fire. No sooner will their skins be consumed than We shall give them other skins, so that they may truly taste the scourge. God is mighty and wise" (4:55–56).

"Believers, do not seek the friendship of the infidels and those who were given the Book before you, who have made of your religion a jest and a pastime" (5:57).

"That which is revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase the wickedness and unbelief of many among them. We have stirred among them enmity and hatred, which will endure till the Day of Resurrection" (5:65).

"God does not guide the unbelievers" (5:67).

"That which is revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase the wickedness and unbelief of many among them. But do not grieve for the unbelievers" (5:69).

"You see many among them making friends with unbelievers. Evil is that to which their souls prompt them. They have incurred the wrath of God and shall endure eternal torment. . . .You will find that the most implacable of men in their enmity to the faithful are the Jews and the pagans, and that the nearest in affection to them are those who say: ‘We are Christians'" (5:80–82).

"[T]hose that disbelieve and deny Our revelations shall become the inmates of Hell" (5:86).

"[T]hey deny the truth when it is declared to them: but they shall learn the consequences of their scorn" (6:5).

"We had made them more powerful in the land than yourselves [the Meccans], sent down for them abundant water from the sky and gave them rivers that rolled at their feet. Yet because they sinned We destroyed them all and raised up other generations after them. If We sent down to you a Book inscribed on real parchment and they touched it with their own hands, the unbelievers would still assert: ‘This is but plain sorcery.' They ask: ‘Why has no angel been sent down to him [Muhammad]?' If We had sent down an angel, their fate would have been sealed and they would have never been reprieved" (6:5–8).

"Who is more wicked than the man who invents falsehoods about God or denies His revelations?" (6:21).

"Some of them listen to you. But We have cast veils over their hearts and made them hard of hearing lest they understand your words. They will believe in none of Our signs, even if they see them one and all. When they come to argue with you the unbelievers say: ‘This is nothing but old fictitious tales.' They forbid it and depart from it. They ruin none but themselves, though they do not perceive it. If you could see them when they are set before the Fire! They will say: ‘Would that we could return! Then we would not deny the revelations of our Lord and would be true believers' 6:23–27).

"But if they were sent back, they would return to that which they have been forbidden. They are liars all" (6:29).

"Had God pleased He would have given them guidance, one and all" (6:35).

"Deaf and dumb are those that deny Our revelations: they blunder about in darkness. God confounds whom He will, and guides to a straight path whom He pleases." (6:39)

"[T]heir hearts were hardened, and Satan made their deeds seem fair to them. And when they had clean forgotten Our admonition We granted them all that they desired; but just as they were rejoicing in what they were given, We suddenly smote them and they were plunged into utter despair. Thus were the evil-doers annihilated. Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe!" (6:43–45).

"[T]hose that deny Our revelations shall be punished for their misdeeds" (6:49).

"Such are those that are damned by their own sins. They shall drink scalding water and be sternly punished for their unbelief" (6:70).

"Could you but see the wrongdoers when death overwhelms them! With hands outstretched, the angels will say: ‘Yield up your souls. You shall be rewarded with the scourge of shame this day, for you have said of God what is untrue and scorned His revelations" (6:93).

"Avoid the pagans. Had God pleased, they would not have worshipped idols. . . . We will turn away their hearts and eyes from the Truth since they refused to believe in it at first. We will let them blunder about in their wrongdoing. If We sent the angels down to them, and caused the dead to speak to them, . . . and ranged all things in front of them, they would still not believe, unless God willed otherwise. . . . Thus have We assigned for every prophet an enemy: the devils among men and jinn, who inspire each other with vain and varnished falsehoods. But had your Lord pleased, they would not have done so. Therefore leave them to their own inventions, so that the hearts of those who have no faith in the life to come may be inclined to what they say and, being pleased, persist in their sinful ways" (6:107–12).

"The devils will teach their votaries to argue with you. If you obey them you shall yourselves become idolaters. . . . God will humiliate the transgressors and mete out to them a grievous punishment for their scheming" (6:121–25).

"If God wills to guide a man, He opens his bosom to Islam. But if he pleases to confound him, He makes his bosom small and narrow as though he were climbing up to heaven. Thus shall God lay the scourge on the unbelievers" (6:125).
Jul 5, 2015 11:40 AM

Aug 2014
Olwen said:

It's widely accepted by linguists that there is a difference between universal statements (all As are Bs) and generic statements (As are Bs).

Skip to page 10.

Linguistics is not semantics ;)

Also: acceptance doesn't mean truth, anywhere really :p

Also2: the example is terrible, since it's a try at inductive logic, not deductive logic.
baconpureeJul 5, 2015 11:47 AM
Jul 5, 2015 11:49 AM

Mar 2014
Olwen said:
The verse prior to this (190) refers to "fighting for the cause of Allah those who fight you" leading some to believe that the entire passage refers to a defensive war in which Muslims are defending their homes and families. The historical context of this passage is not defensive warfare, however, since Muhammad and his Muslims had just relocated to Medina and were not under attack by their Meccan adversaries. In fact, the verses urge offensive warfare, in that Muslims are to drive Meccans out of their own city (which they later did). Verse 190 thus means to fight those who offer resistance to Allah's rule (ie. Muslim conquest). The use of the word "persecution" by some Muslim translators is disingenuous (the actual Arabic words for persecution - "idtihad" - and oppression - a variation of "z-l-m" - do not appear in the verse). The word used instead, "fitna", can mean disbelief, or the disorder that results from unbelief or temptation. This is certainly what is meant in this context since the violence is explicitly commissioned "until religion is for Allah" - ie. unbelievers desist in their unbelief.

Read "The Sealed Nectar'' by Maulana Safiur Rahman Mubarakpuri.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ar-Raheeq_Al-Makhtum

All your answers lie therein.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 11:53 AM

Oct 2011
2-methylgeniol said:
Olwen said:

Nope, telling me to buy and read a 600-page book isn't a counterargument. Summarize the points the book makes for us.
Jul 5, 2015 11:56 AM

Mar 2014
Olwen said:
2-methylgeniol said:

Nope, telling me to buy and read a 600-page book isn't a counterargument. Summarize the points the book makes for us.

Summary: It's the whole life of Muhammad (pbuh).

PDF link: http://www.islamfactory.com/books/f/the-sealed-nectar.pdf
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 12:02 PM

Oct 2011
2-methylgeniol said:
Olwen said:

Summary: It's the whole life of Muhammad (pbuh).

PDF link: http://www.islamfactory.com/books/f/the-sealed-nectar.pdf

I know the whole life of Muhammad. I studied religion in a Middle Eastern country when I was 10 and 11, and they drilled his whole barbaric life into our heads as part of our Islam class.

I know how he conquered Mecca and other cities in the Arabian peninsula, I know how he executed people, I know how he kept slaves, especially sex slaves, I know how he's a pedophile who had sex with a 9 year old. He did some good things, undoubtedly, like helping to take care of the poor and etc. but he was a monster at the same time. Even Hitler had some good traits about him too, for example he didn't let his workers smoke because it was bad for them. Muhammad is no different. Some good traits mixed with bad.
Jul 5, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2011
alkchf said:
Olwen said:

Skip to page 10.

Also2: the example is terrible, since it's a try at inductive logic, not deductive logic.

Sorry, I liked your previous posts but this post is just full-on stupid. Formal semantics is a branch of linguistics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_semantics_(linguistics)
OlwenJul 5, 2015 12:08 PM
Jul 5, 2015 12:04 PM

Mar 2014
Olwen said:

I know the whole life of Muhammad. I studied religion in a Middle Eastern country when I was 10 and 11, and they drilled his whole barbaric life into our heads as part of our Islam class.

I know how he conquered Mecca and other cities in the Arabian peninsula, I know how he executed people, I know how he kept slaves, especially sex slaves, I know how he's a pedophile who had sex with a 9 year old. He did some good things, undoubtedly, like helping to take care of the poor and etc. but he was a monster at the same time. Even Hitler had some good traits about him too, for example he didn't let his workers smoke because it was bad for them. Muhammad is no different. Some good traits mixed with bad.

You failed.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2011
2-methylgeniol said:
Olwen said:

You failed.

Uh.. what a stupid counterargument lol. Glad to see you admit that you lost. Gonna ignore you now. Good game.
Jul 5, 2015 12:08 PM

Mar 2014
Olwen said:
2-methylgeniol said:

You failed.

Uh.. what a stupid counterargument lol. Glad to see you admit that you lost. Gonna ignore you now. Good game.

What you studied, you don't even know the authenticity of that.

What your age was, heck I don't even a remember a single thing from that age.

Your willful ignorance is as exquisite as ever. My counter argument is in front of you. The answer to all your questions is in front of you. Though you deny it. Why? Because you don't have 'questions'. You have 'conclusions'. If you were already fixated on the shit you spewed in post #241, why the hell did you even ask me to answer your questions?

Listen this: you are brainwashed.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
I think nationalism. Both world wars had some kind of nationalism at work and those wars had the highest casualties of a war fought so far. Religion was involved too in there to an extent but barely.
Jul 5, 2015 12:18 PM

Oct 2011
2-methylgeniol said:
Olwen said:

What you studied, you don't even know the authenticity of that.

What your age was, heck I don't even a remember a single thing from that age.

Your willful ignorance is as exquisite as ever. My counter argument is in front of you. The answer to all your questions is in front of you. Though you deny it. Why? Because you don't have 'questions'. You have 'conclusions'. If you were already fixated on the shit you spewed in post #241, why the hell did you even ask me to answer your questions?

Listen this: you are brainwashed.

Obviously, you're the one who is brainwashed. You grew up in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Of course you've been brainwashed by the place you grew up in. Learn to think for yourself, and to read for yourself. I did these things: I spent a good part of my life in an Islamic-majority country but I have atheist parents. Religion wasn't forced on me. All of these opinions I obtained by reading things and such.

Here, let me give you some stuff to read about your prophet's life (all from the hadith):

Bukhari (52:177) - Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

Bukhari (52:256) - The Prophet... was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, "They (i.e. women and children) are from them (i.e. pagans)." In this command, Muhammad establishes that it is permissible to kill non-combatants in the process of killing a perceived enemy. This provides justification for the many Islamic terror bombings.

Bukhari (52:65) - The Prophet said, 'He who fights that Allah's Word, Islam, should be superior, fights in Allah's Cause. Muhammad's words are the basis for offensive Jihad - spreading Islam by force. This is how it was understood by his companions, and by the terrorists of today.

Bukhari (52:220) - Allah's Apostle said... 'I have been made victorious with terror'

Abu Dawud (14:2526) - The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Three things are the roots of faith: to refrain from (killing) a person who utters, "There is no god but Allah" and not to declare him unbeliever whatever sin he commits, and not to excommunicate him from Islam for his any action; and jihad will be performed continuously since the day Allah sent me as a prophet until the day the last member of my community will fight with the Dajjal (Antichrist)

Abu Dawud (14:2527) - The Prophet said: Striving in the path of Allah (jihad) is incumbent on you along with every ruler, whether he is pious or impious

Muslim (1:33) - the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah

Bukhari (8:387) - Allah's Apostle said, "I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah'. And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally."

Muslim (1:30) - "The Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people so long as they do not declare that there is no god but Allah."

Bukhari (52:73) - "Allah's Apostle said, 'Know that Paradise is under the shades of swords'."

Bukhari (11:626) - [Muhammad said:] "I decided to order a man to lead the prayer and then take a flame to burn all those, who had not left their houses for the prayer, burning them alive inside their homes."

Muslim (1:149) - "Abu Dharr reported: I said: Messenger of Allah, which of the deeds is the best? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Belief in Allah and Jihad in His cause..."

Muslim (20:4645) - "...He (the Messenger of Allah) did that and said: There is another act which elevates the position of a man in Paradise to a grade one hundred (higher), and the elevation between one grade and the other is equal to the height of the heaven from the earth. He (Abu Sa'id) said: What is that act? He replied: Jihad in the way of Allah! Jihad in the way of Allah!"

Muslim (20:4696) - "the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: 'One who died but did not fight in the way of Allah nor did he express any desire (or determination) for Jihad died the death of a hypocrite.'"

Muslim (19:4321-4323) - Three separate hadith in which Muhammad shrugs over the news that innocent children were killed in a raid by his men against unbelievers. His response: "They are of them (meaning the enemy)."

Muslim (19:4294) - "When the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) appointed anyone as leader of an army or detachment he would especially exhort him... He would say: Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war... When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them."

Bukhari 1:35 "The person who participates in (Holy Battles) in Allah’s cause and nothing compels him do so except belief in Allah and His Apostle, will be recompensed by Allah either with a reward, or booty ( if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise ( if he is killed)."

Tabari 7:97 The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, "Kill any Jew who falls under your power." Ashraf was a poet, killed by Muhammad's men because he insulted Islam. Here, Muhammad widens the scope of his orders to kill. An innocent Jewish businessman was then slain by his Muslim partner, merely for being non-Muslim.

Tabari 9:69 "Killing Unbelievers is a small matter to us" The words of Muhammad, prophet of Islam.

Tabari 17:187 "'By God, our religion (din) from which we have departed is better and more correct than that which these people follow. Their religion does not stop them from shedding blood, terrifying the roads, and seizing properties.' And they returned to their former religion." The words of a group of Christians who had converted to Islam, but realized their error after being shocked by the violence and looting committed in the name of Allah. The price of their decision to return to a religion of peace was that the men were beheaded and the woman and children enslaved by the caliph Ali.

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 484: - “Allah said, ‘A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.’”

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 990: - Lest anyone think that cutting off someone's head while screaming 'Allah Akbar!' is a modern creation, here is an account of that very practice under Muhammad, who seems to approve.

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 992: - "Fight everyone in the way of Allah and kill those who disbelieve in Allah." Muhammad's instructions to his men prior to a military raid.

Saifur Rahman, The Sealed Nectar p.227-228 - "Embrace Islam... If you two accept Islam, you will remain in command of your country; but if your refuse my Call, you’ve got to remember that all of your possessions are perishable. My horsemen will appropriate your land, and my Prophethood will assume preponderance over your kingship." One of several letters from Muhammad to rulers of other countries. The significance is that the recipients were not making war or threatening Muslims. Their subsequent defeat and subjugation by Muhammad's armies was justified merely on the basis of their unbelief.

Bukhari (6:60:79) (alt link) - Two people guilty of "illegal" intercourse are brought to Muhammad, who orders them both stoned to death. Apparently their act was out of love, since the verse records the man as trying to shield the woman from the stones.

Bukhari (83:37) - Adultery is one of three justifications for killing a person, according to Muhammad.

Muslim (17:4192) - This hadith clarifies the different penalties for adultery (when the subjects are married), and fornication (when they are not): "in case of married (persons) there is (a punishment) of one hundred lashes and then stoning (to death). And in case of unmarried persons, (the punishment) is one hundred lashes and exile for one year" (See also 17:4191)

Muslim (17:4196) - A married man confesses that he has adultery. Muhammad orders him planted in the ground and pelted with stones. According to the passage, the first several stones caused such pain that he tried to escape and was dragged back.

Muslim (17:4206) - A woman who became pregnant confesses to Muhammad that she is guilty of adultery. Muhammad allows her to have the child, then has her stoned. The description is graphic: "Khalid b Walid came forward with a stone which he flung at her head and there spurted blood on the face of Khalid and so he abused her."

Muslim (17:4209) - A woman confesses adultery and is stoned to death on Muhammad's order.

Ibn Ishaq (970) - "The adulterer must be stoned." These words were a part of Muhammad's farewell address to his people on the occasion of his final pilgrimage to Mecca.

Islamic Law - "The stone shall not be so big so as to kill the person by one or two strikes, neither shall it be so small that it cannot be called a stone" The victim is intended to suffer.

Bukhari (6:301) - "[Muhammad] said, 'Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?' They replied in the affirmative. He said, 'This is the deficiency in her intelligence.'"

Bukhari (6:301) - continued - "[Muhammad said] 'Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?' The women replied in the affirmative. He said, 'This is the deficiency in her religion.'" Allah has made women deficient in the practice of their religion as well, by giving them menstrual cycles.

Bukhari (2:29) - Women comprise the majority of Hell's occupants. This is important because the only women in heaven ever mentioned by Muhammad are the virgins who serve the sexual desires of men. (A weak Hadith, Kanz al-`ummal, 22:10, even suggests that 99% of women go to Hell).

Bukhari (62:81) - "The Prophet said: "'The stipulations most entitled to be abided by are those with which you are given the right to enjoy the (women's) private parts (i.e. the stipulations of the marriage contract).'" In other words, the most important thing a woman brings to marriage is between her legs.

Bukhari (62:58) - A woman presents herself in marriage to Muhammad, but he does not find her attractive, so he "donates" her on the spot to another man.

Muslim (4:1039) - "A'isha said [to Muhammad]: 'You have made us equal to the dogs and the asses'" These are the words of Muhammad's favorite wife, complaining of the role assigned to women under Islam.

Abu Dawud (2:704) - "...the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: When one of you prays without a sutrah, a dog, an ass, a pig, a Jew, a Magian, and a woman cut off his prayer, but it will suffice if they pass in front of him at a distance of over a stone's throw."

Abu Dawud (2155) - Women are compared to slaves and camels with regard to the "evil" in them.

Ishaq 593 - "As for Ali, he said, 'Women are plentiful, and you can easily change one for another.'" Ali was raised as a son by Muhammad. He was also the 4th caliph. This comment was made in Muhammad's presence without a word of rebuke from him.

Ishaq 593 - "From the captives of Hunayn, Allah's Messenger gave [his son-in-law] Ali a slave girl called Baytab and he gave [future Caliph] Uthman a slave girl called Zaynab and [future Caliph] Umar another." - Even in this world, Muhammad treated women like party favors, handing out slave girls to his cronies for sex.

Ibn Ishaq (693) - "Then the apostle sent Sa-d b. Zayd al-Ansari, brother of Abdu'l-Ashal with some of the captive women of Banu Qurayza to Najd and he sold them for horses and weapons." Muhammad traded captured women for horses.

Al-Tirmidhi 3272 - "When Allah's Messenger was asked which woman was best he replied, 'The one who pleases (her husband) when he looks at her, obeys him when he gives a command, and does not go against his wishes regarding her person or property by doing anything of which he disapproves'."

Tabari VIII:117 - The fate of more captured farm wives, whom the Muslims distributed amongst themselves as sex slaves: "Dihyah had asked the Messenger for Safiyah when the Prophet chose her for himself... the Apostle traded for Safiyah by giving Dihyah her two cousins. The women of Khaybar were distributed among the Muslims."

Tabari IX:137 - "Allah granted Rayhana of the Qurayza to Muhammad as booty."

Ishaq 969 - "Men were to lay injunctions on women lightly, for they were prisoners of men and had no control over their persons." - This same text also justifies beating women for flirting.

Tabari Vol 9, Number 1754 - "Treat women well, for they are [like] domestic animals with you and do not possess anything for themselves." From Muhammad's 'Farewell Sermon'.

Bukhari (80:753) - "The Prophet said, 'The freed slave belongs to the people who have freed him.'"

Bukhari (52:255) - The slave who accepts Islam and continues serving his Muslim master will receive a double reward in heaven.

Bukhari (41.598) - Slaves are property. They cannot be freed if an owner has outstanding debt, but can be used to pay off the debt.

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Bukhari (34:432) - Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus.

Bukhari (47.765) - A woman is rebuked by Muhammad for freeing a slave girl. The prophet tells her that she would have gotten a greater heavenly reward by giving her to a relative (as a slave).

Bukhari (34:351) - Muhammad sells a slave for money. He was thus a slave trader.

Bukhari (72:734) - Some contemporary Muslims in the West, where slavery is believed to be a horrible crime, are reluctant to believe that Muhammad owned slaves. This is just one of many places in the Hadith where a reference is made to a human being owned by Muhammad. In this case, the slave is of African descent.

Muslim 3901 - Muhammad trades away two black slaves for one Muslim slave.

Muslim 4112 - A man freed six slaves on the event of his death, but Muhammad reversed the emancipation and kept four in slavery to himself. He cast lots to determine which two to free.

Bukhari (47:743) - Muhammad's own pulpit - from which he preached Islam - was built with slave labor on his command.

Bukhari (59:637) - "The Prophet sent Ali to Khalid to bring the Khumus (of the booty) and I hated Ali, and Ali had taken a bath (after a sexual act with a slave-girl from the Khumus). I said to Khalid, 'Don't you see this (i.e. Ali)?' When we reached the Prophet I mentioned that to him. He said, 'O Buraida! Do you hate Ali?' I said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Do you hate him, for he deserves more than that from the Khumlus.'" Muhammad approved of his men having sex with slaves, as this episode involving his son-in-law, Ali, clearly proves. This hadith refutes the modern apologists who pretend that slaves were really "wives," since Muhammad had forbidden Ali from marrying another woman as long as Fatima (his favorite daughter) was living.

Abu Dawud (2150) - "The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur’anic verse: (Qur'an 4:24) 'And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.'" This is the background for verse 4:24 of the Qur'an. Not only does Allah grant permission for women to be captured and raped, but allows it to even be done in front of their husbands. (See also Muslim 3432 & Ibn Kathir/Abdul Rahman Part 5 Page 14)

Abu Dawud 1814 - "...[Abu Bakr] He then began to beat [his slave] him while the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) was smiling and saying: Look at this man who is in the sacred state (putting on ihram), what is he doing?" The future first caliph of Islam is beating his slave for losing a camel while Muhammad looks on in apparent amusement.

Ibn Ishaq (734) - A slave girl is given a "violent beating" by Ali in the presence of Muhammad, who does nothing about it.

Abu Dawud 38:4458 - Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib: “A slave-girl belonging to the house of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) committed fornication. He (the Prophet) said: Rush up, Ali, and inflict the prescribed punishment on her. I then hurried up, and saw that blood was flowing from her, and did not stop. So I came to him and he said: Have you finished inflicting (punishment on her)? I said: I went to her while her blood was flowing. He said: Leave her alone till her bleeding stops; then inflict the prescribed punishment on her. And inflict the prescribed punishment on those whom your right hands possess (i.e. slaves)”. A slave girl is ordered by Muhammad to be beaten until she bleeds, and then beaten again after the bleeding stops. He indicates that this is prescribed treatment for slaves ("those whom your right hand possesses").

Ibn Ishaq (693) - "Then the apostle sent Sa-d b. Zayd al-Ansari, brother of Abdu'l-Ashal with some of the captive women of Banu Qurayza to Najd and he sold them for horses and weapons." Muhammad trades away women captured from the Banu Qurayza tribe to non-Muslim slave traders for property. (Their men had been executed after surrendering peacefully without a fight).

Umdat al-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller) (o9.13) - According to Sharia, when a child or woman is taken captive by Muslims, they become slaves by the mere fact of their capture. A captured woman's previous marriage is immediately annulled.

Bukhari (59:369) - This recounts the murder of Ka'b bin al-Ashraf, a Jewish poet who wrote verses about Muslims that Muhammad found insulting. He asked his followers, 'Who will rid me of this man?' and several volunteered. al-Ashraf was stabbed to death while fighting for his life.

Bukhari (3:106) - "The Prophet said, "Do not tell a lie against me for whoever tells a lie against me (intentionally) then he will surely enter the Hell-fire."

Bukhari (4:241) - Those who mocked Muhammad at Mecca were killed after he had retaken the city and asserted his authority.

Bukhari (52:260) - "...The Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' " Note that there is no distinction as to how that Muslim came to be a Muslim.

Bukhari (83:37) - "Allah's Apostle never killed anyone except in one of the following three situations: (1) A person who killed somebody unjustly, was killed (in Qisas,) (2) a married person who committed illegal sexual intercourse and (3) a man who fought against Allah and His Apostle and deserted Islam and became an apostate."

Bukhari (84:57) - [In the words of] "Allah's Apostle, 'Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.'"

Bukhari (89:271) - A man who embraces Islam, then reverts to Judaism is to be killed according to "the verdict of Allah and his apostle."

Bukhari (84:58) - "There was a fettered man beside Abu Muisa. Mu'adh asked, 'Who is this (man)?' Abu Muisa said, 'He was a Jew and became a Muslim and then reverted back to Judaism.' Then Abu Muisa requested Mu'adh to sit down but Mu'adh said, 'I will not sit down till he has been killed. This is the judgment of Allah and His Apostle (for such cases) and repeated it thrice.' Then Abu Musa ordered that the man be killed, and he was killed. Abu Musa added, 'Then we discussed the night prayers'"

Bukhari (84:64-65) - "Allah's Apostle: 'During the last days there will appear some young foolish people who will say the best words but their faith will not go beyond their throats (i.e. they will have no faith) and will go out from (leave) their religion as an arrow goes out of the game. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for whoever kills them shall have reward on the Day of Resurrection.'"

Abu Dawud (4346) - "Was not there a wise man among you who would stand up to him when he saw that I had withheld my hand from accepting his allegiance, and kill him?" Muhammad is chastising his companions for allowing an apostate to "repent" under duress. (The person in question was Muhammad's former scribe who left him after doubting the authenticity of divine "revelations" upon finding out that he could suggest grammatical changes. He was brought back to Muhammad after having been captured in Medina).

al-Muwatta of Imam Malik (36.18.15) - "The Messenger of Allah said, "If someone changes his religion - then strike off his head."

Reliance of the Traveller (Islamic Law) o8.1 - "When a person who has reached puberty and is sane voluntarily apostatizes from Islam, he deserves to be killed." (o8.4 affirms that there is no penalty for killing an apostate).

Muslim (19:4294) - There are many places in the hadith where Muhammad tells his followers to demand the jizya of non-believers. Here he lays down the rule that it is to be extorted by force: "If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them"

Bukhari (53:386) - The command for Muslims to spread Islamic rule by force, subjugating others until they either convert to Islam or pay money, is eternal: Our Prophet, the Messenger of our Lord, has ordered us to fight you till you worship Allah Alone or give Jizya (i.e. tribute); and our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says:-- "Whoever amongst us is killed (i.e. martyred), shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever amongst us remain alive, shall become your master." This is being recounted during the reign of Umar, Muhammad's companion and the second caliph who sent conquering armies into non-Muslim Persian and Christian lands (after Muhammad's death).

Ishaq 956 & 962 - "He who withholds the Jizya is an enemy of Allah and His apostle." The words of Muhammad.

Bukhari (52:54) - The words of Muhammad: "I would love to be martyred in Al1ah's Cause and then get resurrected and then get martyred, and then get resurrected again and then get martyred and then get resurrected again and then get martyred." This is why modern-day Jihadists often say that they love death.

Muslim (20:4678) - During the battle of Uhud, Muhammad was desperate to push men into battle. He promised paradise for those who would martyr themselves, prompting a young man who was eating dates to throw them away and rush to his death.

Muslim (20:4655) - A man asks Muhammad "which of men is the best?" Muhammad replies that it is the man who is always ready for battle and flies into it "seeking death at places where it can be expected." (Tellingly perhaps, the next most saintly man in Islam is the hermit who lives in isolation "sparing men from his mischief.")

Muslim (20:4681) - "Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords." After hearing Muhammad say that martyrdom leads to paradise, a young man pulls his sword and breaks the sheath (indicating that he has no intention of returning) then flings himself into battle until he is killed.

Muslim (20.4635) - "Nobody who enters Paradise will (ever like to) return to this world even if he were offered everything on the surface of the earth (as an inducement) except the martyr who will desire to return to this world and be killed ten times for the sake of the great honour that has been bestowed upon him."

Muslim (16:4131) - They were caught and brought to him (the Holy Prophet). He commanded about them, and (thus) their hands and feet were cut off and their eyes were gouged and then they were thrown in the sun, until they died. Muhammad had two killers put to death, not in the way of "an eye-for-an-eye," but in a more agonizing manner.

Muslim (17:4196) - A married man confesses that he has adultery (four times, as required). Muhammad orders him planted in the ground and pelted with stones. According to the passage, the first several stones caused such pain that he tried to escape and was dragged back.

Bukhari (11:626) - "The Prophet said, 'No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr and the 'Isha' prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers at their respective times, they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl.' The Prophet added, 'Certainly I decided to order the Mu'adh-dhin (call-maker) to pronounce Iqama and order a man to lead the prayer and then take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer along with their houses.'" Muhammad orders his men to burn alive those who do not present themselves at the mosque for prayer.

Ibn Ishaq 436 - When Muhammad wished to attack the Meccan army at Badr, his men captured two slaves who were carrying water for the caravans and brought them into his presence. They were interrogated under torture as Muhammad stood praying: “…they brought them along and questioned them while the apostle was standing praying… The people were dismayed at their report…and so they beat them. When they were beaten soundly…"

Ibn Ishaq 734 - When Muhammad’s favorite wife Aisha was accused of adultery, he launched an investigation that included the brutal interrogation of a female slave: "So the apostle called Burayra to ask her, and Ali got up and gave her a violent beating, saying “'Tell the Apostle the truth.'”

Ibn Ishaq 595 - Muhammad orders that a man have his tongue cut out.

Ibn Ishaq 764 - After amassing a powerful army, Muhammad sent his forces to take the peaceful farming community of Khaybar by surprise. In the aftermath, he was dissatisfied with the amount of plunder and felt that the town’s treasurer, Kinana, might be holding out on him. He had the man brought to him:

When he [Muhammad] asked him about the rest he refused to produce it, so the apostle gave orders to al-Zubayr bin al-Awwam, “Torture him until you extract what he has.” So he kindled a fire with flint and steel on his chest until he was nearly dead. Then the apostle delivered him to Muhammad bin Maslama and he struck off his head.”

(As a happy side note to the story – Kinana's untimely death left a beautiful young widow named Saffiya, whom Muhammad was then able to “marry”).

Abu Dawud (494) - In addition to the right of men to beat their wives over disobedience, children are to be beaten as well if they don't pray. "The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Command a boy to pray when he reaches the age of seven years. When he becomes ten years old, then beat him for prayer." (Incidentally, this is still taught)

Abu Dawud (4477) - Muhammad orders that a man be beaten with "whips, sticks and sandals" merely for being drunk. He threw dust into the face of the victim during his ordeal. "A man who had drunk wine was brought (before him) and he ordered them (to beat him). So they beat him with what they had in their hands. Some struck him with whips, some with sticks and some with sandals. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) threw some dust on his face."
Jul 5, 2015 12:21 PM

Mar 2014
If you're not going to read the book, don't waste my time. Ok, I'll help you sleep at night: you win. Now go read the book if you truly want the answer of questions. If you don't want it, fair enough- the punishment of the ignorant is ignorance itself.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 12:23 PM

Jun 2012
Watching an Atheist vs Muslim debate on the internet is like watching monkeys in a zoo throw poop at each other.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 5, 2015 12:24 PM

Mar 2014
Open-Dice said:
Watching an Atheist vs Muslim debate on the internet is like watching monkeys in a zoo throw poop at each other.

I draw the same imagery when you argue with atheists.

See? we're all monkeys. Now lemme kiss your beautiful shoulder and spread the love.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 5, 2015 12:27 PM

Aug 2014
Olwen said:
alkchf said:

Sorry, I liked your previous posts but this post is just full-on stupid. Formal semantics is a branch of linguistics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_semantics_(linguistics)

It's always been funny to see people using formal systems to describe natural phenomena :p
["Hello, Physics!"]

Also: the previous "Also" points remain unadressed.
Jul 5, 2015 12:39 PM

Oct 2011
alkchf said:
Olwen said:

It's always been funny to see people using formal systems to describe natural phenomena :p
["Hello, Physics!"]

Also: the previous "Also" points remain unadressed.

Because it's a waste of my time.

Acceptance is truth in this case, since Arabs are native Arabic speakers LOL.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with the inductive and deductive logic stuff. I can do formal logic at an advanced level and there's nothing about inductive or deductive logic in those generic vs. universal statements.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

66 by tsukareru »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 3 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

29 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.