Forum Settings
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
May 27, 2015 10:57 PM

Feb 2015
Alright I'm pretty much confused here. This is the ending of manga. Okay firstly Rea can't give birth since she is a zombie. Who is the mother of Tama and Rai-nee ? Anyone can give at least a proper answer ?

On the wiki and many group discussion, Unfortunately, they give these three answer.

-Mero Furuya
-Ranko saoji
-Darin Arnschent kurumiya

lol wtf, which one did actually chihiro married ?
EndDec 20, 2017 11:57 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2015 11:01 PM
May 2015
Wat... 56.1 must be the next chapter after rea said "Thanks for the meal" right?
If you're scared, you might as well just cling to my arm.
May 27, 2015 11:23 PM

Feb 2015
Kyon_Smith said:
Wat... 56.1 must be the next chapter after rea said "Thanks for the meal" right?

Yes, mate. Go give it a read first.
May 29, 2015 5:45 AM

Dec 2010
Kyon_Smith said:

I'm the translator of Ch. 56.1 and to be honest, I have no clue why they made it into Ch. 56.1 I specifically wrote "Special Chapter" when I uploaded my translations but the internet said it's Ch. 56.1.

And as the translator, I can safely say that Chihiro is probably dead during Ch. 56.1. I can't answer any other questions.
allenallenallenMay 29, 2015 5:49 AM
I read Manga in both English and Chinese.
May 30, 2015 5:54 AM

Feb 2015
Oh wow a translator eh ?
He's dead but he leave one son and one daughter ;_;
Jun 2, 2015 9:07 AM

Dec 2010
Rydias said:
Oh wow a translator eh ?

Not "a" translator, it's "the" translator. Now bow down to me!

Oh, and if anything, he left 1 grandson and 1 granddaughter. The quote is"grandmother" not "mother".
Jun 2, 2015 9:17 PM

Feb 2015
allenallenallen said:
Rydias said:
Oh wow a translator eh ?

Oh, and if anything, he left 1 grandson and 1 granddaughter. The quote is"grandmother" not "mother".

What is this?! A mastermind?! xD.
Okie, okie. So mind telling me the ending ?
Jun 4, 2015 9:07 AM

Jan 2013
Rydias said:
allenallenallen said:

What is this?! A mastermind?! xD.
Okie, okie. So mind telling me the ending ?
Im also curious to hear a translator's thoughts.
Jun 5, 2015 12:39 AM

Dec 2010
Again, I'm "the" translator of Ch. 56.1, not just "a" translator. The Ch. 56.1 you see everywhere on the internet is mine. lol

And as I wrote on the last page, the author wants the readers to come to their own conclusions.

Facts:
- Rea can't have children and it's obvious that many decades have passed.
- It's most likely that the two children shown are grandchildren of the main heroines and Chihiro.
- The fact that Rea only said grandmother instead of both grandmother and grandfather means that Chihiro is probably dead.

Possible grandmother who married Chihiro in order of highest chance:
1. Ranko
2. Mero (incest route because why not)
3. Darin

Granddaughter (Rai):
- Has Mero's hairstyle
- Has the same hair ribbon like Rea's (Rea's ribbon is shown on the last page of this chapter)

Grandson (Tama):
- Has Ranko's personality
- Has Chihiro's love for zombies
- Has a similar flower hair pin like Rea's

My conclusion:
And since these children are GRANDCHILDREN, it's possible that the children of Ranko, Chihiro, Mero, and Darin ended up marrying each other. Which would turn into something like this:

Chihiro + Ranko = CR (Son or daughter of Chihiro and Ranko)
Mero + ??? = M? (Son or daughter of Chihiro and Ranko)

CR + M? = Rai and Tama

This would then explain Tama's personality and love for zombies.
This would also explain Rai's hairstyle.

Take what you want from this conclusion of mine but do remember that the author wants you to decide so I might not be even close.
Jun 5, 2015 12:54 AM

Feb 2015
This just got more confusing. If author just give a damn answer. It would be more than glad to appreciate it ;_;
Jun 17, 2015 9:15 PM
Jun 2015
Okay so I was thinking... Who did Rea give that ribbon to?
Jun 26, 2015 7:53 PM

Feb 2013
My guess is Rai is the granddaughter Mero and some unknown man. Tama is probably the grandson of Furuya and Ranko. Then again the author wants you to decide who they are so they are what ou want to be.

Rea hasn't changed a bit. Kinda sad though. Everyone she knows grows old and dies while she's still her same age when the series started.
Jul 26, 2015 3:30 PM
Jul 2015
So, It reads "Tell your Grandma I said hi!"
Because if she said "tell your Grandfather I said hi!" Everyone could easily concluded that she's referring to Chihiro.
But, this way you are left guessing?

I will say an Alternate Ending would be nice too!
Given her lifespan. I think it's very possible that Darin could have replace her damaged organs, jump starting her heart and a blood transfusion... With some blood circulation. Her cells can repair themself in time. Plus, some dialysis to clean out the hydrangeas' poison.

Her and Chihiro living out their live together would had been perfect. (zombie or living)
Seeing how she never went after Baabu in the 2mos. they were in the forest together! Because she loved Baabu too!
Jul 26, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2014
Now that I think about it, this extra chapter just ruined this manga. Since the romance wasn't the conclusive and this chapter just made it more confusing.
Jul 28, 2015 12:48 AM
Jul 2015
Rea Sanka

So, I have just finished reading the series and I loved every chapter except the last one!
And here's why! I feel like we the Readers are left with no real closure about any of the Main Characters.
Like did Chihiro come through and check on Rea from time to time? Knowing that she must be lonely!
Did Chihiro live as long as his Grandfather?
Did Chihiro destroy his Grandfather's notes?
Did Rea have any regrets in the end? Once all of her friends are gone.
Can or will Rea die of natural causes? Since her decoy has stop completely. And by the way. Where were those Hydrangea's leaves going? Because Baabu would sometimes spit them up.
I know Ranko had kid(s). But, what about her wedding? I mean that would have been a sweet reunion. And is worthy of a side chapter.

What confused me!
1) Rea dranks the Potion and becomes a Half Zombie. (Not sure how many of you picked up on that. But, Her ankle no longer hurts) She falls and rip opening her stomach. Cause of death was her bleeding out. She became a Zombie in just seconds!
Chihiro gets his chest ripped opening and his heart removed, then bleeds out! But survives with a artificial heart. Because he's a Half Zombie!
Like think about. When was the last time he was bitten or licked? You know Chihiro never once tryed the Hydrangeas.
2) What happens when the Hydrangeas are out of season? Remember Chihiro was wondering the same thing. But, forgot about it when he found out. She shouldn't be able to lasted that long. I mean do she even need them or is she eaten out of habit?
3) Why was Jogoro a Furuya when his daughter merried into the family?
4) Seeing how her decoy has stop. Why can't Darin give her an artificial heart and work on her damaged tissues. You know! Since her brain has stabilized and they both have only time on their hands.

Just because, I'll explain Chapter 56.1
The big question is Who Grandkids are they?
First, you need to know the Main Characters. Because it's the final Chapter.
-Rea
-Chihiro
-Ranko/Wanko
-Darin

Supporting Characters
-Jogoro
-Mero
-Don
-Aria

1) We know the two are siblings; not cousins. If you look closely at the 1st page.
2) We know Rea is talking about a women. (Ranko/Darin)
3) Tama like Zombie stuff! If you can recall. Chihiro liked Zombie stuff because of a Childhood trauma. He wasn't born that way. So, it wouldn't be genetic.
Ranko/Wanko started to watched them as a way to get close to Chihiro. A lot of them!

I will also like to point out that ch. 56.1 is a side chapter. Meaning don't treat it as if it's ch. 57
AtlasFlameFTJul 29, 2015 1:55 AM
Sep 2, 2015 7:34 PM
Sep 2015
Hey guys I just finished watching and reading all the chapters and episodes in Sankarea and how do I put it?

I'm pissed.
chez
First off to answer the topic, I do believe that it was Ranko who ended with Chihiro. (Unfortunately)

At the beginning of chapter 56.1, I could have sworn that those two kids belonged to the power could Rea and Chihiro! But that's when I remembered that she can't have kids, nor can't she age due to her being a zombie. (Aw) But you can already infer that Tama is the grandchild of Ranko because he has the same hair color while having that same piece of hair that is conspicuous like Ranko. (The piece that sticks up)

Now for Rai-nee I'm pretty confused. Because although she looks like Ranko, her hair is identical to Mero. I couldn't believe it at first because that's his sister...but seeing how getting intimate with your close cousin is permitted, maybe a sibling was a flex arrangement too?

But rmemeber this, the very last words from Tea were: "Tell you grandmother I said 'Hi'." She wasn't just saying this to one grandchild. She was speaking to BOTH. Indicating that they both share the same one. So that crosses of the possibility of them being from separate grandmothers. So I truly believe that it was Ranko who ended with Chihiro as sad as it seems. :(

But I already knew something was going to happen when Darin said how zombies dont age. But what hot me so mad was how ever since the beginning of this story, Rea and Chihiro have been through thick and thin.

She ate parts of him so many times yet in the end she still loved him and so did he. Ranko made her feelings known to him before and even when he acknowledged it, he still didn't feel the same way and his feeling for Rea only got stronger.

SO WHY THE HELL DID THE STORY END THIS WAY?

To be honest, this would have been the very best magna I have ever read if they didn't end it that way. I'm so pissed and sad that I even cried a little when I get the message.

What's even worse is that the two other best people died which were Jogoro and Babu. Then I understand why. But I feel as though there could have been a way for them to be together.

I also realized that if Tea never became a zombie none of this would have ever happened. He said it at the beginning too. Chihiro noted how Rea was hot even before becoming a zombie. She even won his heart before dying. If she had never died, they would have still been together but that's life I guess.

I need more good anime's like this one so please help me out!!!!

Deuces222
Sep 2, 2015 7:41 PM
Sep 2015
Sorry...another thing but didn't in the mang
a Darin's father (it started with a S) say how Jogoro wasn't even no where near to being Chihiro's grandfather?? But when Otoki explained the story, Jogoro is very much the grandfather of Chihiro... That doesn't make sense. It's either I'm a ditz and didn't read write or the person who translated the book needs a translater!

Someone explain to me please?

Thanks!
Sep 22, 2015 7:22 AM

Dec 2008
allenallenallen said:
Again, I'm "the" translator of Ch. 56.1, not just "a" translator. The Ch. 56.1 you see everywhere on the internet is mine. lol

And as I wrote on the last page, the author wants the readers to come to their own conclusions.

Facts:
- It's most likely that the two children shown are grandchildren of the main heroines and Chihiro.
- The fact that Rea only said grandmother instead of both grandmother and grandfather means that Chihiro is probably dead.

1. Ranko
3. Darin

Granddaughter (Rai):
- Has Mero's hairstyle
- Has the same hair ribbon like Rea's (Rea's ribbon is shown on the last page of this chapter)

Grandson (Tama):

My conclusion:
And since these children are GRANDCHILDREN, it's possible that the children of Ranko, Chihiro, Mero, and Darin ended up marrying each other. Which would turn into something like this:

CR + M? = Rai and Tama

Take what you want from this conclusion of mine but do remember that the author wants you to decide so I might not be even close.

I BOW..I BOW DOWN *BOWS SO LOW THE FEATHER ATOP MINE CAP SWEEPS THE DUST FROM BEFORE THINE FEET>>FOR EV ER!!* Still I hated whatever that last story was....so...do I mark the manga as completed now> does that count as all 59 chapters read now?!!! AARRGH! lol
Oct 1, 2015 4:50 AM

Dec 2010
I decided to give an ending which might be possible.

The grandmother is mero and Rea doesn't really know who the grandfather is so who cares.
Remember both Mero and Chihiro were traumatised by their mother turning into a zombie so were both weird and Mero had friends that were obsessed with zombies. Most characters in this series were into zombies so wouldn't be strange that the grandkids were as well. Also Mero enjoyed setting up that test of courage earlier in the story and spooking people which is kind of what she did again to the kids.

Chihiro would've aged much slower so is most likely alive still. As he put it he'd also turned into a monster.
Also Rea was content cause she literally and figuratively had Chihiro's heart so they would always be together. Chihiro had essentially rejected Wanko before so possible they never got together.

I'm also disappointed myself with this ending but hope people like my interpretation. :)

Edit: Actually thinking on it this interpretation makes most sense.
When Rea thought that Chihiro was dead she couldn't bear living so to me the fact that she's living happily means that Chihiro must be alive somewhere and she would've mentioned him to the kids if he was their grandfather. We also have to wonder if Chihiro could even have kids due to his half zombie state cause it's possible the grandfather adopted Chihiro's mother as it was said in ch40 that Chihiro wasn't related to his grandfather. Also his grandfather never had any other kids even with his second wife whom he spent several years with so this could be a side effect.

The kids obsession with zombies could also be because of Chihiro who's probably still obsessed with them. If Mero was in her 60s then Chihiro might only seem to be in his 40s due to the effect of the zombie poison and very hard to kill seeing as he survived having his heart ripped out.

Think that wraps it up and makes most plausible senario. :)
archeotechOct 2, 2015 8:34 PM
Oct 3, 2015 8:26 PM
Mar 2009
Ehh.

Other than getting a quick chuckle, this chapter didn't really expand on anything. It actually just makes it more sad to see Rea is now all alone and Chihiro is most likely dead.

Also guessing those two are Mero's grandkids.
Oct 11, 2015 6:44 PM
Oct 2015
Since the translator said that Chihiro might be dead, I believe Chihiro had choosing to stay with Rea until his very end, living to the fullest with her. To note, he didn't get as much poison as his grandfather did to lengthen his lifespan, he had enough to sustain his heart getting eaten out, so he was slowly dying. I'm sure Rea hasn't givens him anymore poison or bites since she consumed his heart contently. The two children must belong to Mero and Ranko. Ranko is a cousin to Mero and Chihiro so it is acceptable for the children to call Mero a grandma because Ranko's parent is a sibling to Chihiro's and Mero's father. Also the cousins are really close so there is no worries being called that. The hair pin and ribbon are probably mementos Rea left for the girls or the children to remember her still. Ranko liked watching zombie movies too and the little boy must have met Rea before too (same effect as to why Chihiro first started liking zombies). When the little girl wished to be close with someone, she must have wanted to be affectionate and friendly like Rea, so she too must have met her before. This conclusion I summed up is much more satisfying then what the "The Translator " thought of. So do not fret people, it is to YOUR imagination of how the end was. Though it is annoying for the author to create this part, he or she must have not been thinking straight and just wanted an end for the future comings.

Update:
I must agree on archeotech about Chihiro if he is not able to make babies due to the poison. His grandfather said he is not related to him and maybe the third wife already had a child (Chihiro's mother). The grandfather's body is almost like a zombie - no babies could be produced. so maybe Chihiro's body might have gotten to that stage.
Angelflower1Oct 11, 2015 6:55 PM
Oct 12, 2015 4:48 AM

Dec 2010
There's nothing to say Chihiro is dead, although I guess he could be, but bear in mind he had a mechanical heart which is maybe from the research with the cyborg owls. I think it had implied the poison had transformed his actual body in a permanent way as it was a year later when he said he had been turned into a monster. Like his grandfather he probably had to eat some the leaves from time to time to maintain his body.
Oct 24, 2015 6:21 PM
Nov 2013
Well I was disappointed by the ending and confused by the extra.To add fuel to the fire Oba-San, which means grandmother, can also mean aunt, so its even more confusing.
Oct 28, 2015 6:58 AM
Sep 2015
Wow, I just found this chapter after reading the original run of the manga and now I wish I hadn't. Like others I feel that it really made the story even more ambiguous and sad than it originally ended. It seems like very few mangaka these days like to put definitive ends on their stories any more and I find it really annoying.

Anyway, food for thought: We don't know how long it's been between the "end" of the manga and this chapter. For all we know the aforementioned "Grandmother" might actually be Chihiro's daughter and not his "wife".

archeotech said:
There's nothing to say Chihiro is dead, although I guess he could be, but bear in mind he had a mechanical heart which is maybe from the research with the cyborg owls. I think it had implied the poison had transformed his actual body in a permanent way as it was a year later when he said he had been turned into a monster. Like his grandfather he probably had to eat some the leaves from time to time to maintain his body.

This is true. I mean, who really knows I guess at this point. I really don't like this kinds of endings for exactly that reason. I would have preferred Rea killing Chihiro and then living alone and sad or killing herself to this mess :P

One other poster noted something that I think can be considered, although most people have discounted this possibility - both of the children are wearing accessories that have been associated with Rea, so they could be her own great-grandchildren. We already know that men with the zombie poison in them can have babies (Chihiro's grandfather did with his third wife, producing Chihiro's mother) and we also know there was speculation in an earlier chapter that since Rea wasn't fully dead that it might be possible to bring her back to a more living state (something similar to Chihiro's mutated state). If that happened, then it's possible they are still together, but have moved away from society probably to hide their undying nature. If that's the case, then Rea might be telling those children to say "Hi" to her daughter (those kids grandmother).

The big hint for me on this line of thinking is both the accessories on the kids as well as how run down and overgrown the area is - it's obvious that many, many years have passed, perhaps even a century as the kids refer the "White Witch" as being responsible for phenomena that occurred "in the 2000's". Also, and while this is even more tenuous, Rea's hair is drawn white instead of black in this chapter and you'll notice that she doesn't have any bandages on her fingers any more.

Personally, I think that no matter what if Rea is alive than so is Chihiro. She even said it herself when she thought he was gone - everything was meaningless without him, also there was some pretty heavily implied foreshadowing when Otoko decided to dire when Chihiro's grandfather did. They both wanted to go around the same time together.

Maybe the above is the happiest interpretation we could hope for?
MalhavokOct 28, 2015 7:14 AM
Oct 29, 2015 3:18 PM
Oct 2015
This is so confuse
I'm done read the manga
And wtf ending... Who is Tama and Rai?
And Chihiro married?
And who the girl at the Ch.56.1?
Please answer
Oct 29, 2015 6:18 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm this is deep xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 14, 2015 10:52 PM
Dec 2015
I have an answer here, very simple. We must focus the most important point and that's Rea,Chihiro and Babu always happy when they have each other, so here is the answer. 2 kid just a grand kid of Ranko or Mero and that isn't the point, Chihiro love Rea and so did she with mean Chihiro don't have wire because he love Rea and she isn't dead (at least still living), and if u read that chapter u will know Rea is so hungry and thanks 2 kid for the food so what i can say is Chihiro will never let Rea hungry but if it happens => he had been dead because he just half of zombie so he just can life lonh, not forever..... Last picture will show u Rea is holding dummy head wood and inside of that is Chihiro heart and some pieces of him after dead for long time and we will know all of him still living with Rea for the reat of him live and she're smiling , the last detail is BaBu graves. So they live the last day of their live together and that is the most happiness of a zombie life like Chihiro ask his grandfather .... the director want we pissed and confused and will remember all the detail of this manga to solve the problem and they're success with that last chapter =)) That is my answer to give you guy and sr for my ENGLISH :'(
Phongvn96Dec 15, 2015 11:34 PM
Dec 26, 2015 2:48 AM
Nov 2014
I got another theory, Chihiro is probably dead, but he did't marry Ranko, he stays with Rea till the very end. Rai and Tama are the kids from Mero's kid who married Ranko's kid. That explained the hair. And since Mero looks like the type who'd live long, so the one Rea reffered to at the end is her.
Jan 27, 2016 3:04 PM

Jun 2015
I think any scenario wouldn't exactly be "wrong". The author apparently wrote "up to the readers to decide". So he didn't feel like giving a decisive ending in which people could complain about 'it not being satisfactory' or whatever. He left it ambiguous so we could imagine whatever we wanted, like the grandmother reference to be of Darin.
Either way, we get a few facts from this chapter and the previous one...Rea and Chihiro probably spent time together afterwards, Rea is not affected by decaying anymore, even after what we can imagine decades passed, and is living in a low temperature place away from people so the fact that she doesn't age is not exposed. Plus, it might be her own fear of a relapse (doubt it would happen though). All's well that ends well.
Mar 6, 2016 4:18 PM
Mar 2016
This extra chapter messed me up big time..

I mean, the ending was stupid enough, with Chihiro having his heart eaten and still being alive. And after that, the two don't get to see each other for a whole year for some reason and even then all she has to say to him is "thanks for the meal LOL".. It's like their relationship ended after she got her memories erased and never picked up again, despite the absurd lengths Chihiro went to restore them.

And now this extra chapter suggests she decided to simply abandon her regular girl life, all her earthly hopes and desires, just leave Chihiro to Wanko or whoever and proceed to dwell in the woods all by herself for all eternity. She just fully accepted she doesn't have any active part in the world of the living anymore and must let everyone live out their lives without her, while she remains unchanging and ageless, occasionally smiling upon them from afar like a dead person in heaven would do. She basically turned into a ghost and that's how she presents herself to the children of her old friends.
This is so unbelievably sad, I'm an emotional mess right now.. this is not how I expect a silly romcom to end, goddamit.....
Apr 2, 2016 6:11 AM
Nov 2014
well i would like to add my hypothesis too,

what i think happened is that Rea and chihiro lived together in the forest and chihiro died of old age OR he also became a zombie (i would personally become a zombie) and lives together forever until they decay.

the children are the grand children of the heroins after they grew up and married different into different families.

well that's just my conclusion so feel free to believe it or make up your own conclusion.

PS i spent a lot of time outraged at the ending and finally came to this one since i can stand a story without an ending, man you don't know the hell i went through, almost stopped reading manga because of the ending.
Apr 29, 2016 6:27 PM
Apr 2016
This bs. What the author has failed to do is make a way where this inconclusive ending can be satisfied in all terms and all sides of possible endings. Result, readers such as everyone here (myself included) are very unsatisfied on how the ending was approached because it is just straight up confusing as hell.
And to end it like that where they just close off Rea from ever actually ending up with the mc just makes it feel so unjustly after all the hardships they both went through, then author just goes off and doesn't even put an ending where they are together. It's as if he scratched out the extra chapter for a good ending just as grandpa smudged out the ingredient into turning Babu into a zombie.

THERE, there's my ending to it; the real ending still exists we just need to hunt the author down and tell em to stop eating the HYDRANGEA leaves and release the proper chapter!
May 8, 2016 12:57 PM
Mar 2016
The way it ended, feels being kinda dumped on. Story itself is great no doubt about it, but the ending messes up everything pretty harshly. It makes me think, that the ending was somewhat rushed or maybe the author just got lazy, who knows. Yet , just to say this, I and also a lot of other readers and fans would be glad to get a proper ending, well fitting ending for this series. ( It would be a miracle though)
May 23, 2016 6:07 AM
May 2016
sorry, I just finished reading the manga and still do not understand about this chapter. But I found Chihiro possibility of staying with rea in the woods or where, because at the end of chapter 56 of their own promise "to stay together until I rot" but my question, the foot rea why, if it merges with the ground or how ?. please answer his
Jun 11, 2016 10:15 PM
Jun 2016
Lol, 56.1 is nothing more than extra chapter, which means its only spin off story from the original story, so the main route is with rea.. XD
Jun 25, 2016 1:12 AM
Jun 2016
well even tho rea can't have a child they could just be like the grampa and otoki , they can't have children yet they still love each other . i wonder why rea isn't married with chihiro ...... it's so sad , i'm not satisfied with this ending .......ooorrrrr , they are married but it has been decades and chihiro died , the children we saw might be ranko / mero / darin 's children but three of them aren't married with chihiro ....maybe , or maybe chihiro is married with every girl XD lol just like his gramps
Jun 25, 2016 1:13 AM
Jun 2016
i can't accept chapter 56.1 , it's bullsheeeeet
Jul 2, 2016 3:15 AM
Mar 2015
The ending is too bittersweet, Rea's smile in the last panel just tore away at my heart :'(
Jul 17, 2016 3:13 AM

Mar 2016
I hate when the ending gives you more questions, and answer nothing -.-
Give a true ending for your story, f**** ***** ***!!!!Four!!!
Jul 21, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2016
SalvadorDali22 said:
This extra chapter messed me up big time..

I mean, the ending was stupid enough, with Chihiro having his heart eaten and still being alive. And after that, the two don't get to see each other for a whole year for some reason and even then all she has to say to him is "thanks for the meal LOL".. It's like their relationship ended after she got her memories erased and never picked up again, despite the absurd lengths Chihiro went to restore them.

And now this extra chapter suggests she decided to simply abandon her regular girl life, all her earthly hopes and desires, just leave Chihiro to Wanko or whoever and proceed to dwell in the woods all by herself for all eternity. She just fully accepted she doesn't have any active part in the world of the living anymore and must let everyone live out their lives without her, while she remains unchanging and ageless, occasionally smiling upon them from afar like a dead person in heaven would do. She basically turned into a ghost and that's how she presents herself to the children of her old friends.
This is so unbelievably sad, I'm an emotional mess right now.. this is not how I expect a silly romcom to end, goddamit.....

I agree 100%, it makes me so angry dammit!

Jul 25, 2016 7:50 AM
Jul 2016
I my mind they are both Meru's grandchildren. So I would stop thinking that Chihiro and Ranko got married. Then Rea and Chihiro leave happily, but in the end Chihiro died. XXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Aug 26, 2016 9:28 AM
Aug 2016
OKAY GUYS! Its August 26, 2016 and i have just finished the anime/manga of Sankarea. Im making this post to hopefully sace others from the hell i've been through...

Here is what I BELIEVE is a VERY possible explanation.

So, Rea makes that joke to Chihiro and thats where it ends in that time. What I like to believe in my own imagination is that they end up saying they love each other and are officially boyfriend and girlfriend. They live on together WITH NO CHILDREN. If you think about it, of course rea can't have children but Chihiro might not be able to as well due to is terribly infected body (having rea eating his heart) During their time together he could have died some way but not of old age, he is like his grandfather. Rea and Chihiro COULD STILL BE ALIVE TOGETHER by the very end of the story, its just chihiro was home while Rea was scareing the kids. HE ALSO COULD HAVE TURNED INTO A ZOMBIE for rea's sake, that way they are together until decay.(I like this A LOT)

But who's grandchildren is that? (Referring to Rai and Tama) Sorry if I got the spelling wrong there. I belive MERO and SOME GUY got married and had kid(s). Then they married from another family, possibly Rankos family. Then they had kids, Rai and Tama.

This is the ending I believe in, please help it out, or correct me if you can :)
Aug 26, 2016 6:41 PM
Apr 2014
I just finished the manga today, August 26th, 2016.

I started the manga just as I finished watching the anime, back when it was airing.

All I have to say is that this ending saddens me a lot.

Most of all, the ending seems so forced.

1. Her father was crazy for her, idolized her, even took photos of her naked when it was her birthday. EVERY YEAR. Then he fights Chihiro and understand things better. He needs to save her daughter now, so he travels all around the world, desperately seeking any possible help for her beloved daughter. Until this, we're alright.

BUT then he shows up from nothing saying that the only thing he could do is go to ZOMA, and that Jogoro told him everything about zombies. Okay!
(But he seriously didn't find any other person in the world capable of saving Rea, nor anyone that already had developed zombification even further?)

And then Jogoro dies.

2. In the Sanka School, he recalls that there "is still a way", and that Chihiro is the only one capable of saving Rea at that point. Okay!
(Typical shonen manga outcome: main character is the only one that can saves the world).

3. Ranko lost all the posibilities of becoming anything like a main character, since she just held her ground outside, and didn't think of anything else.
Same goes for Darin.
(Also, back at the lab, she said that Rea had some living tissues - that she was not entirely dead. This should have been used to develop a cure for Rea.)

Until now, we have the following scenary:

Chihiro and Rea inside the church, along with Babu.
Rea's father is wounded and lying on the ground there, with them, too.
Ranko and Darin are outside, being loyal to Chihiro's promise, which is respectable.

HOW WOULD I HAVE WRITTEN THE STORY FROM THAT POINT?

Rea is attacking Babu. Chihiro tries to stop Rea, but cannot since she is super strong.
Don is not mortally wounded, and counsels Chihiro.
"You can save my daughter. Even if she doesn't remember you now, you're still somewhere in her thoughts, deep inside in her mind. You can save it and I know you will."

Chihiro stands up, he's all messed up but charges on Rea. He holds both of her hands within his, lacing their fingers.
He yells all kind of stuff, what they've been through since they met. Because of Babu.
He reminds Rea of his family, also wounded but worried about her.

She starts to remember something.
He finally yells: I love you!
Now, she is finally back.

Fordwarding...

Darin starts to do some research on his condition.
She comes up with the following argument:
-Chihiro is half-zombie because all of the poison he had gotten because of Rea's biting.
-Rea was also a half-zombie because she drank the poison before accidentally end up dying. After bleeding out, she stands up already as a zombie.
-This means that if Chihiro dies, he will also come back as a zombie proving that he's also already poisoned, as Rea was at the moment of her "death".

Back in ZOMA's lab, Darin acknowledged that Rea was not like any other zombie they had seen ever before, and had still some living tissues and living cells within her, since the zombification process was not done after decease, but before.
(Also, the poison made by Chihiro was even better than his grandfather's.)

Rea did not entirely die, when she bled out.

FROM THAT POINT, they should have focused on finding a way of turning her over to a living human being. Which was really a possibility. Maybe with a cure? Maybe getting her new organs, blood transfusion... whatever.

The de-zombification process would have been amazing story to read, chapter by chapter...

Until she is finally alive again.

From there, she would confess to Chihiro after thanking him for everything he'd done just for saving her.

And they would have been able to be together, oficially as boyfriend as girlfriend, with the promise of finishing their studies together the following year.

Dan would break up with Aria after finding her true feelings of hatred towards his daughter, and would have Rea live with him again. Rea's relationship with her father would have greatly improved after all that had happened, of course. Chihiro would be greatly welcomed and respected by him, and Rea would be very happy for that.

"I used to like zombies...", would Chihiro think.
"But after all that we've been through..." Rea's smiling face would be in the background along this dialog bubble.
"I think I started to like the living." Chihiro would smile.
"Although Babu and jiji are now gone... It was because of you that we got to save Rea from a terrible fate."
"Thank you, Babu." Babu's image in a tree, looking happy.
"Thank you, jiji (grandfather)." We would see the city from above.
"This is really... life."

---------
Any thoughts by private message. Sorry for any mistakes in spelling and grammar, as english is not my mother language. And thank you for reading this far.
Aug 27, 2016 10:18 AM
Aug 2016
AkiyamaSairei said:
I just finished the manga today, August 26th, 2016.

I started the manga just as I finished watching the anime, back when it was airing.

All I have to say is that this ending saddens me a lot.

Most of all, the ending seems so forced.

1. Her father was crazy for her, idolized her, even took photos of her naked when it was her birthday. EVERY YEAR. Then he fights Chihiro and understand things better. He needs to save her daughter now, so he travels all around the world, desperately seeking any possible help for her beloved daughter. Until this, we're alright.

BUT then he shows up from nothing saying that the only thing he could do is go to ZOMA, and that Jogoro told him everything about zombies. Okay!
(But he seriously didn't find any other person in the world capable of saving Rea, nor anyone that already had developed zombification even further?)

And then Jogoro dies.

2. In the Sanka School, he recalls that there "is still a way", and that Chihiro is the only one capable of saving Rea at that point. Okay!
(Typical shonen manga outcome: main character is the only one that can saves the world).

3. Ranko lost all the posibilities of becoming anything like a main character, since she just held her ground outside, and didn't think of anything else.
Same goes for Darin.
(Also, back at the lab, she said that Rea had some living tissues - that she was not entirely dead. This should have been used to develop a cure for Rea.)

Until now, we have the following scenary:

Chihiro and Rea inside the church, along with Babu.
Rea's father is wounded and lying on the ground there, with them, too.
Ranko and Darin are outside, being loyal to Chihiro's promise, which is respectable.

HOW WOULD I HAVE WRITTEN THE STORY FROM THAT POINT?

Rea is attacking Babu. Chihiro tries to stop Rea, but cannot since she is super strong.
Don is not mortally wounded, and counsels Chihiro.
"You can save my daughter. Even if she doesn't remember you now, you're still somewhere in her thoughts, deep inside in her mind. You can save it and I know you will."

Chihiro stands up, he's all messed up but charges on Rea. He holds both of her hands within his, lacing their fingers.
He yells all kind of stuff, what they've been through since they met. Because of Babu.
He reminds Rea of his family, also wounded but worried about her.

She starts to remember something.
He finally yells: I love you!
Now, she is finally back.

Fordwarding...

Darin starts to do some research on his condition.
She comes up with the following argument:
-Chihiro is half-zombie because all of the poison he had gotten because of Rea's biting.
-Rea was also a half-zombie because she drank the poison before accidentally end up dying. After bleeding out, she stands up already as a zombie.
-This means that if Chihiro dies, he will also come back as a zombie proving that he's also already poisoned, as Rea was at the moment of her "death".

Back in ZOMA's lab, Darin acknowledged that Rea was not like any other zombie they had seen ever before, and had still some living tissues and living cells within her, since the zombification process was not done after decease, but before.
(Also, the poison made by Chihiro was even better than his grandfather's.)

Rea did not entirely die, when she bled out.

FROM THAT POINT, they should have focused on finding a way of turning her over to a living human being. Which was really a possibility. Maybe with a cure? Maybe getting her new organs, blood transfusion... whatever.

The de-zombification process would have been amazing story to read, chapter by chapter...

Until she is finally alive again.

From there, she would confess to Chihiro after thanking him for everything he'd done just for saving her.

And they would have been able to be together, oficially as boyfriend as girlfriend, with the promise of finishing their studies together the following year.

Dan would break up with Aria after finding her true feelings of hatred towards his daughter, and would have Rea live with him again. Rea's relationship with her father would have greatly improved after all that had happened, of course. Chihiro would be greatly welcomed and respected by him, and Rea would be very happy for that.

"I used to like zombies...", would Chihiro think.
"But after all that we've been through..." Rea's smiling face would be in the background along this dialog bubble.
"I think I started to like the living." Chihiro would smile.
"Although Babu and jiji are now gone... It was because of you that we got to save Rea from a terrible fate."
"Thank you, Babu." Babu's image in a tree, looking happy.
"Thank you, jiji (grandfather)." We would see the city from above.
"This is really... life."

---------
Any thoughts by private message. Sorry for any mistakes in spelling and grammar, as english is not my mother language. And thank you for reading this far.
That sounds like it would be amazing :P Really wished the author did a little better.
Sep 2, 2016 7:26 AM
Apr 2016
allenallenallen said:

Facts:

1. Ranko
3. Darin

Granddaughter (Rai):
- Has Mero's hairstyle

Grandson (Tama):

My conclusion:

CR + M? = Rai and Tama

can you tell me what happened to Rea's father and mother?
I haven't read it but I want spoilers since I finished the anime.
Sep 28, 2016 1:57 PM
Mar 2016
archeotech said:
I decided to give an ending which might be possible.

The grandmother is mero and Rea doesn't really know who the grandfather is so who cares.
Remember both Mero and Chihiro were traumatised by their mother turning into a zombie so were both weird and Mero had friends that were obsessed with zombies. Most characters in this series were into zombies so wouldn't be strange that the grandkids were as well. Also Mero enjoyed setting up that test of courage earlier in the story and spooking people which is kind of what she did again to the kids.

Chihiro would've aged much slower so is most likely alive still. As he put it he'd also turned into a monster.
Also Rea was content cause she literally and figuratively had Chihiro's heart so they would always be together. Chihiro had essentially rejected Wanko before so possible they never got together.

I'm also disappointed myself with this ending but hope people like my interpretation. :)

Edit: Actually thinking on it this interpretation makes most sense.
When Rea thought that Chihiro was dead she couldn't bear living so to me the fact that she's living happily means that Chihiro must be alive somewhere and she would've mentioned him to the kids if he was their grandfather. We also have to wonder if Chihiro could even have kids due to his half zombie state cause it's possible the grandfather adopted Chihiro's mother as it was said in ch40 that Chihiro wasn't related to his grandfather. Also his grandfather never had any other kids even with his second wife whom he spent several years with so this could be a side effect.

The kids obsession with zombies could also be because of Chihiro who's probably still obsessed with them. If Mero was in her 60s then Chihiro might only seem to be in his 40s due to the effect of the zombie poison and very hard to kill seeing as he survived having his heart ripped out.

Think that wraps it up and makes most plausible senario. :)

You made my day :)
I really hope Chihiro and Darin ended up together
Oct 16, 2016 2:06 PM
Jul 2016
its an open ended ending :) there is no definite but i say its ranko and chihiro chihiro being with mero? what is wrong with you people :S
Nov 5, 2016 7:08 AM
Sep 2016
Well, if I have to make my own ending...Chhiro is still alive and lives in the woods with Rea. Or at least he lived with her until his death. After what he's done for her sake, risking even is own life, I simply can't imagine him letting her go. Still, I absolutely hate open endings, if I have to make my own conclusion for a story why bother readning it in the first place.
Dec 10, 2016 4:23 PM
Aug 2014
Lex1979 said:
Well, if I have to make my own ending...Chhiro is still alive and lives in the woods with Rea. Or at least he lived with her until his death. After what he's done for her sake, risking even is own life, I simply can't imagine him letting her go. Still, I absolutely hate open endings, if I have to make my own conclusion for a story why bother readning it in the first place.
yeah...thats my conclusion too :) hes so in love with rea...so theres no way he can left her...and yea open ending is such pain in the ass....
Dec 10, 2016 11:33 PM
Dec 2016
What if they are both the grandchildren of Darin, explaining the grandmother reference as Rea had a strong connection with her. BUT, Darin's children or child had more than one child and the children are cousins, explaining their different looks and personalities.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 56 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Sep 5, 2014

84 by NaughtySempai »»
Apr 23, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 4 Discussion

Laevantein - Mar 17, 2010

49 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:20 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 1 Discussion

RobinotX - Mar 6, 2010

15 by removed-user »»
Mar 4, 2023 6:57 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 13 Discussion

dbaranyi - Dec 15, 2010

26 by Niamhyuwu »»
Oct 15, 2022 8:45 AM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 55 Discussion

Henticle-Tentai - Aug 12, 2014

27 by lqt »»
May 23, 2021 1:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.