Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 26, 2015 6:19 PM
Jan 2015
Hey Guys. Do I've really been into light novels lately and I've found out that some series take forever to translate and I don't think I have the time to learn Japanese just yet.
But I found that SAO and other mainstream series are pretty fast when it comes to getting the translated version out. So with that.

I finished both seasons of SAO's anime adaptation and I wish to continue it in the books. So I'm just wonder if anyone knows where season 2 left off.

I've been asking my friend about the light novels since he's read most of it but stopped when the second season came out and he tells me that it follows it quite closely and it wouldn't be that hard to jump to the part where the anime left off.

So long story short,
Does anyone know what volume the anime of SAO stops and what volume should I start with after Mother's Rosario?
or did they leave anything worthy out of the anime that I should read and in that case should I just start the whole Light Novel series over from the beginning?
Apr 26, 2015 6:22 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
They say the LNs are much better than the anime, so you may want to start over if you are curious. I'm not sure if they left anything out though. Mother's Rosario is #7. Alicization begins with #9. #8 is a bunch of side stories from earlier LNs, so I guess you could technically skip it if you wanted.
Apr 26, 2015 7:21 PM

Dec 2012
Already adapted into anime are:

Aincrad Books
Fairy Dance Books
Phantom Bullet Books
Mother's Rosario

anything other than that has not as far as I know.

Also the Sword Art Online Novels are licensed in America and professionally translated and distributed by Yen Press. You can read them officially.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 27, 2015 10:47 AM
Mar 2012
Xenalius said:
I've been asking my friend about the light novels since he's read most of it but stopped when the second season came out and he tells me that it follows it quite closely and it wouldn't be that hard to jump to the part where the anime left off.

Who the heck is this friend of yours lol. It's been agreed by a great number of light novel readers that Sword Art Online is one of the worst adapted anime series with the amount of scene and story skips, detail omission, lack of character development, and even changes of character personas. Jumping straight to volume 9 will hold no merit whatsoever, you're better off reading straight from the beginning.

To show show an example, let's take season one episode 2 and compare it to the light novel. The amount of detail and story loss can be seen: http://i.imgur.com/5KaFpfU.png

You can also read this thread with arguments as to why you should start from the beginning: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1335415

For reading order of the novels: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1152949&show=0#post2

Though there has been praise for the anime, the adaption is truly undeserving. It could have been MUCH better, unfortunately we got an unmotivated director who isn't even a fan of the series and a studio known to cut corners to save on budget.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.