Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2015 10:58 PM
May 2014
Okay so I just found out that there are two seoerate english dub version of kaichou and holy mother of god the animax voice actors blow jc staff out of the water, Monica Rial sounds like shes got better things to be doing and putting a half-assed effort into a character that is so high strung and stressed the first three or so episodes focus on that alone. I couldn't get 5 minutes into the show without wanting to throw my phone. Dave Bridges does a marvelous job of playing Takumi's role and making him sound like he's having a blast screwing with Misa. Bridges works for Animax Asia and I can;t help but wonder what JC staff was thinking. If JC Staff doesn't stop ruining animes I might just start avoiding JC ASAP. Let me know what you all think.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Mar 30, 2015 10:26 AM

Jun 2007
Um, what? JC Staff is the Japanese company that did the animation on the series. They had nothing to do with the North American English dubbing, which was done by Sentai Filmworks. JC Staff has been accused of ruining anime through poor adaptations (Tsukihime, Little Busters!, etc.), but if you're going to avoid them, avoid them for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.
Mar 30, 2015 3:10 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belongs under anime being discussed.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Mar 30, 2015 10:29 PM
May 2014
Zalis said:
Um, what? JC Staff is the Japanese company that did the animation on the series. They had nothing to do with the North American English dubbing, which was done by Sentai Filmworks. JC Staff has been accused of ruining anime through poor adaptations (Tsukihime, Little Busters!, etc.), but if you're going to avoid them, avoid them for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

Don't be naïve enough into thinking that the information listed in MAL's descriptions of animes are accurate. You have not done your research if you're spewing me back that. I've seen three episodes of the JC staff licensed show but there was a time that Animax Asia did their own dub of the show prior to the JC Staff dub. If you don't belive me just check the voice actor list and see for yourself. Two English voice actors for every character, Animax Asia must have sold or somehow lost the license to the show but one of the episodes you can hear the show is on the Animax channel. You must not realize that both companies at one point licensed the show with two separate dubs, I can show you both videos if you want. I have no problem with the animation it's okay in both but I had a problem with the voice actors ability to convey a certain vibe throughout a show. The end of my post was a bit of a rant because I've seen horrible actor choices in some of their dubs recently.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Apr 1, 2015 11:55 PM

Jun 2007
msrcali said:
Don't be naïve enough into thinking that the information listed in MAL's descriptions of animes are accurate. You have not done your research if you're spewing me back that. I've seen three episodes of the JC staff licensed show but there was a time that Animax Asia did their own dub of the show prior to the JC Staff dub. If you don't belive me just check the voice actor list and see for yourself. Two English voice actors for every character, Animax Asia must have sold or somehow lost the license to the show but one of the episodes you can hear the show is on the Animax channel. You must not realize that both companies at one point licensed the show with two separate dubs, I can show you both videos if you want.
I don't dispute that there are two dubs, which is a somewhat common situation when Animax Asia is involved. I'm just saying that one dub (the one you like) was done by Animax Asia for the Southeast Asian market, and the other (the one you don't like) was done by Sentai Filmworks for the North American market. If you don't trust MAL's information, then how about ANN?

Dave Bridges as Takumi Usui (Animax dub)
David Matranga as Takumi Usui (Sentai dub)
Gloria Ansell as Misaki Ayuzawa (Animax dub)
Monica Rial as Misaki Ayuzawa (Sentai dub)

What site is saying that JC Staff had anything to do with the North American English dubbing? They were part of the production committee that licensed the series for foreign releases, but the only voice acting they would've had any part of involved Ayumi Fujimura as Misaki, not Monica Rial. Though if you feel like avoiding Sentai's dubbing, I can't exactly blame you...
Jan 5, 2016 4:24 AM
Jan 2016
I also like the Animax Dub as well. The Sentai dub voices weren't as sincere, especially when **spoiler of ep 6** Misaki called out to Usui when he jumped off the roof etc; It wasn't horrible, but Monica Rial didn't make Misa seem as sincerely worried for Usui, compared to Gloria Ansell. But it wasn't perfect either so now I'm going to watch the SUBS, for the first time for Maid sama (I've watched subs for other animes before).
Apr 23, 2016 11:05 AM
Feb 2016
Majority are saying Sentai Dub is better but, from my experience Sentai was MUCH better than Aniplex Dub or am I missing something.
Apr 27, 2016 11:58 AM
May 2014
maxpayne007 said:
Majority are saying Sentai Dub is better but, from my experience Sentai was MUCH better than Aniplex Dub or am I missing something.
e problem isn't with the animation the real problem I have is with the voice actors in e Sentai dub as the voices just aren't as heartfelt, nona_au hit the nail on the head with his example. When I'm looking for quality in a voice I feel like comparing them to how I felt their manga counterparts would sound and it felt like both Misaki and Takumis voices are closer to what I pictured in my head.Also the side character voicing is pretty bad for both but animax might be of lesser quality in terms of sound quality. On a side note the sub is a very high quality but since I don't speak Japanese I can't tell specifically was good or bad about the voice acting. It's hard to comment on the wording of a different language cause I don't know hiragana or kanji much less the shortened version used in an anime show.
Oct 5, 2016 4:16 PM

Feb 2012
Can't comment on how the VA's from sentai filmworks did but as for Animax VA's I can only say that this was not expected of them. Before Animax aired a lot of better works, namely..Inuyasha, Ranma1/2, Yu yu hakusho, Rec, Getbackers, Fate stay night, etc. If we compare these on the basis of quality of VA used as compared to Maid sama!...it can only be considered mediocre.

Dave bridges was somewhat good but compared to his previous works like Miroku (Inuyasha), Narumi (Alice Academy), Hiei (Yu yu hakusho), Kurogane (Chronicles of the wings) and Ryouga Hibiki (Ranma1/2)...he too fell short.

As for Gloria Ansell, I can only say that Golden era of Animax Female VA's has long gone. VA's like Andrea Kwan, Emily Woo Zeller, Candice Moore, Claudia Thompson, etc. Even later VA, Lily Truncale (Hinagiku from Hayate the combat butler) and Catherine Fu (Eureka from Eureka 7) were better.

If I score Inuyasha, Ranma1/2, Yu yu hakusho, Rec, Getbackers, Fate stay night, Cardcaptor sakura, etc ...then giving 9/10 wouldn't be wrong but for Maid Sama! even 4/10 is too much. This is the difference between the quality of Animax Dub which aired during 2005-2009 and 2009/10-till now. This reversal in the quality of dub started after Hayate the combat butler season 2 finished airing or was dubbed.

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 6

7 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 7, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2010

388 by Troy_The_Boy »»
Apr 6, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

taim - Jul 15, 2010

142 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 24, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

165 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 22, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2010

128 by antoninus_v »»
Mar 21, 8:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.