Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone playing or looking to play Pillars of Eternity?

New
Mar 27, 2015 7:52 AM

Oct 2014
It has already been a good week or two of gaming already with Bloodborne released on the PS4. Personally, i haven't played it yet but the gameplay videos I watched looked very interesting, so I might end up purchasing it someday.

On the PC platform however, comes the best release of the year so far in Pillars of Eternity. It's a CRPG, reminiscent of Baldur's Gate but is unique enough to hold its own instead of relying on nostalgia for players to enjoy the game. Together with Bloodborne, these two games are easily the best games so far in 2015 and some already claimed Pillars of Eternity might even be an early contender for GOTY (at least for the PC platform).

So, has anyone played it yet or looking to play it? I just started and I say it's fantastic. The price nearly killed me (it costs 90 bucks for all the extras and stuff) but everything about the game so far hit home including the wonderful soundtrack, you know a game is good when the main menu theme already makes an impact on you. Not only that, Obsidian themselves confirmed they will be making a proper expansion to the game instead of the usual DLCs we keep getting nowadays. I think that is enough cause to support the game.

P.S. No flame wars please, especially Pillars VS Bloodborne or some crap like that. Both are very different games so they shouldn't be compared. And whether people like one or the other, its up to them.
Mar 27, 2015 7:56 AM

Jul 2014
I already regret Might and Dex stacking my Monk. What is wrong with me?

P.S

Game is fun. Edér is either a bro or I'm just really drunk.

p.s.s

divinity was better

Addendum:

Some dialogue is fantastic. Some is awful. Majority of it is decent. 7.92312389023480320 / 10
LatentMar 27, 2015 8:25 AM
Mar 27, 2015 8:00 AM

Aug 2014
God yes, been following this with eagerness since the kickstarter.
Mar 27, 2015 8:27 AM

Oct 2014
Minute said:

p.s.s

divinity was better

I agree Divinity was better in that it seemed the more engaging game of the two. And also, there's coop in Divinity. But I think Pillars of Eternity has the better story, even though I haven't gone that far yet.

Peronsoda said:
God yes, been following this with eagerness since the kickstarter.

Kickstarter does help games like Pillars of Eternity come to fruition. If there's another Kickstarter game I look forward to, it would be Torment: Tides of Numenera. And that game is supposedly going to be better than Pillars of Eternity.
Mar 27, 2015 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
PoE's world building and story is fantastic. Unfortunately, I think the old school 'Baldurs' ideology is holding it back from it's full combat potential. I feel like D:OS's arpg combat is the way forward, despite its flaws.
Mar 27, 2015 8:47 AM
Apr 2008
I'm thinking of getting this when it hits $20 and below since I heard many good reviews about it.
Mar 27, 2015 9:34 AM

Oct 2014
Deathnosis said:
I'm thinking of getting this when it hits $20 and below since I heard many good reviews about it.

If you're not that keen into CRPGs, you could wait it out. Somehow someday some future Steam sale, it could drop below $20. But I would say of all the overpriced games we get lately, PoE is one of the few that is worth the original price.
Mar 27, 2015 9:54 AM

Mar 2014
I'll wait until The Witcher 3 comes out. Money is the issue here. But I'll definitely play, I still haven't come around Divinity; Original Sin.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Mar 27, 2015 12:48 PM

Nov 2014
I just purchased this. It is a great game so far but I wish the visuals were more like divinity original sin.
Mar 27, 2015 4:47 PM

May 2014
well good thing I pirated it before impulse buying. My comp can't handle it and there's no graphical settings whatsoever.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Mar 27, 2015 6:57 PM

Dec 2007
Played a few hours, and it's great so far. There's a lot to it, options galore.
Mar 27, 2015 8:50 PM

Oct 2013
Minute said:
PoE's world building and story is fantastic. Unfortunately, I think the old school 'Baldurs' ideology is holding it back from it's full combat potential. I feel like D:OS's arpg combat is the way forward, despite its flaws.

D:OS is turn-based, how can it be an ARPG?
Mar 27, 2015 10:01 PM

Jul 2014
Rinth said:
Minute said:

D:OS is turn-based, how can it be an ARPG?

My bad, that's meant to read turn-based.
Mar 27, 2015 10:40 PM

Jul 2013
Been hearing so much good stuff about it, I ought to at least try it. Of course, after I finished other games of course.
Mar 28, 2015 12:13 AM
Apr 2008
Khaosman said:
If you're not that keen into CRPGs, you could wait it out. Somehow someday some future Steam sale, it could drop below $20. But I would say of all the overpriced games we get lately, PoE is one of the few that is worth the original price.

True, I think the launch price was quite reasonable but I'll wait for the price to go down
Mar 28, 2015 1:42 AM

May 2013
It looks good but it seems like they went overboard with the amount of text, leaving in a metric ton of stuff unrelated to what you're actually doing mixed in with what you need to know.
Mar 28, 2015 1:56 AM

Oct 2014
Pxi2 said:
It looks good but it seems like they went overboard with the amount of text, leaving in a metric ton of stuff unrelated to what you're actually doing mixed in with what you need to know.

True. It does seem to have quite a lot of text, even the great Planescape: Torment did not have that much, from what I recall. However, for more plot-important dialogue, they do have voice-acting which for a Kickstarter-backed game is well-done.

However, the text itself isn't too bad as the game usually describes with detail what a character is doing when saying something to you or when an event is happening. It does take a bit of imagination to get into PoE but otherwise, it doesn't make the game less enjoyable.
Mar 28, 2015 2:11 AM

Jul 2014
Pxi2 said:

Really? From what I've seen so far the flavor text is rather well separated from the important stuff. Have you played WL2? Now that's a nightmare. The quest related info you're looking for at any given time is probably hidden behind the most inane and irrelevant conversation choice.

I guess you could always just play your character as an illiterate psychopath with no patience for conversation. It's not like Pillars of Text is mandatory.

Mar 30, 2015 11:03 AM

Jul 2007
I have been thinking of buying this ever since I started hearing about it, and I'm very close to caving. The price is the only thing that's stopping me right now (that and the amount of other games I have yet to finish...), but with the reviews and gameplay I've seen I can tell it'll be worth it.

Plus, I love me some RPG type games like this. And I need something to get me to stop playing Inquisition so much whenever I'm stuck or bored on another game.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Mar 30, 2015 11:53 AM

Dec 2013
I got this game a few days ago, but haven't really had the time to progress in it. Seemed pretty good though
Mar 30, 2015 12:16 PM

May 2014
There's a huge bug in the game right now guys, so be careful.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/30/8312005/pillars-of-eternity-bug-patch-fix

ARTICLE said:
Pillars of Eternity [...] has a game-breaking bug that developer Obsidian is working to fix. Do not double-click items to equip them to your character. Drag them to a slot in the inventory screen.

Double-clicking removes all passive, racial and permanent buffs — forever. While players may reload an old save and proceed just fine, obviously that forsakes any progress between that save and triggering the bug.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Mar 30, 2015 6:34 PM

Dec 2007
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure I've been dragging everything, but I'll remember to check my buffs next time I boot up the game..
May 19, 2015 10:27 PM

Aug 2014
Birdview -_-

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 4 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
6 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
9 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.