Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 6, 2015 11:28 AM
Sep 2007
In last few weeks I was focused on Avatar series in general (ATLA, TLOK, as well as comics), and couldn't help notice just how awesome, and important women are in it...

I love Naruto series, and all, and some of its female characters are very dear to me, but, boy did Kishi and his editors destroyed them, and made them irrelevant, no matter how powerful they were.

Considering Naruto manga itself isn't only written by Kishi alone, I kinda wish Avatar writers, or people capable as them had written women in Naruto; I believe they would did them more justice than they got.

What are your thoughts, and if you know some other good writers of women in anime, or western animation, that could have made women in Naruto series more equal, and important, please, mention them.

Or do you think story of Naruto couldn't have good written women, no matter who wrote theirs stories, and relevance in it?
Mar 6, 2015 11:32 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm , personally i think womens in Naruto weren't unimportant.
Mar 6, 2015 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
R-OrioN said:
Hmm , personally i think womens in Naruto weren't unimportant.
No women, no read from us men. :p

I just wish all Naruto youth friends had better development altogether (not just gals).
Mar 7, 2015 1:52 AM

Dec 2012
vansonbee said:

I just wish all Naruto youth friends had better development altogether (not just gals).

Nah, they (Kiba, Shino, TenTen) weren't interesting to deserve that. Very glad they didn't have a lot of screen time.
Mar 7, 2015 2:05 AM

Aug 2013
Itachi should have been a female character and developed a romantic relationship with Shisui.

It really wouldn't drastically alter the dynamic of anything else and the Akatsuki could have used another female member.
Mar 7, 2015 8:00 AM

Feb 2009
It's not as bad in the anime thanks mostly to fillers, but I agree that girls are often forgotten.

Sakura is fine, and Hinata got her moments. But Ino was only ever used to let Shikamaru talk to everyone. In other words, we only see her for the sake of Shikamaru's screen time.

Tenten is the most useless character of this entire series. It's a shame cause I really love her. Saying she is overshadowed by her team mates is a major understatement.

I'm not sure there was time or a good occasion to give them more space though.
Mar 7, 2015 8:02 AM

Jul 2012
>implying Naruto females are bad.

Why do people need to use other cartoons to bash another show?
Mar 7, 2015 8:06 AM

Dec 2012
sapphireluna said:
But Ino was only ever used to let Shikamaru talk to everyone. In other words, we only see her for the sake of Shikamaru's screen time.

Not really, Ino vs Sakura, were about them being rivals, Asuma's death included the whole team. And in the war arc, the death of her father, also impacted her the same as Shikamaru. Most of her scenes and screen time, had nothing do with Shikamaru in particular.

The 'girls' are not often forgotten, it's just that the key and central characters of the story are males, for obvious reasons. There is still great female characters with good screen time, focus and impact such as Kushina (by far my favorite female character in any shounen), Chiyo, Tsunade, and Konan.
Mar 29, 2015 10:59 AM

Nov 2012
Konan and Chiyo were killed off too quickly.
Kushina was dead to begin with.
Tsunade couldn't land her punches most of the time.

Sakura was excluded from the Sage stuff and used as damsel in distress
Hinata never got a good battle.

It could have been done so much better.

If only they had editors like ATLA :
Tch!
Apr 3, 2015 10:30 AM
Oct 2011
tsudecimo said:
vansonbee said:

Nah, they (Kiba, Shino, TenTen) weren't interesting to deserve that. Very glad they didn't have a lot of screen time.
Were they not developed beacuse they were uninteresting or were they uniteresting beacuse they wern't deeveloped? Kinda a chicken or the egg thing here.
Apr 3, 2015 10:32 AM

Dec 2012
animalia said:
tsudecimo said:

Were they not developed beacuse they were uninteresting or were they uniteresting beacuse they wern't deeveloped? Kinda a chicken or the egg thing here.

I will choose C. They weren't developed because they weren't relevant/important to anything.

Their main purpose was in the chunnin exam, and being same age comrades for Naruto
Apr 3, 2015 5:38 PM

Jun 2014
Sakura could have been an awesome character if she didn't want to make babies with sasuke almost as much as naruto did. Tsunade was also awesome when she was introduced but sadly she (and all the other kages) got overshadowed by all the op villains and the main male leads.
Apr 3, 2015 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
lol I'd rather have the Mnemosyne author write the woman in Naruto.
Hint, it would still be better than the Avatar writer.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 342 Discussion

kittykun2011 - Nov 8, 2008

5 by Chfenj_ »»
Apr 13, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 244 Discussion

Thystrix - Mar 20, 2016

6 by Chfenj_ »»
Mar 30, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 649 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blaine - Oct 2, 2013

74 by actuallytom »»
Mar 29, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 97 Discussion

jeanfarias - Aug 7, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 13, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 87 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jul 4, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 12, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.