Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 3, 2015 11:32 AM

Jul 2014
I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.
What is your personal criteria when you call a character 'badly-written'?

Also please do give examples of such characters and why that particular character is 'badly written'.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 3, 2015 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
Animuh Kaneki is a badly written character because he doesn't have any personality
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 3, 2015 11:33 AM

May 2014
Thank you so much for this thread :D
this is GONNA BE GOLD!!!
i really wanted to see several opinions on this!! ಠ‿ಠ
Feb 3, 2015 11:34 AM

May 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Animuh Kaneki is a badly written character because he doesn't have any personality

lol ... kay :")
Feb 3, 2015 11:34 AM

Jul 2014
WAD1992 said:
Thank you so much for this thread :D
this is GONNA BE GOLD!!!
i really wanted to see several opinions on this!! ಠ‿ಠ

me too. i'm actually really curious? because i get it when people dislike a character but it just sounds like they call a character badly-written to make their opinion seem more objective.
Feb 3, 2015 11:35 AM

Jun 2011
yea ppl get confused easily
Feb 3, 2015 11:35 AM

Aug 2013
The most poorly written character from the "Space☆Dandy" series is Honey.

She is just the most uninteresting and bland character out of the colourful cast that she stands out as boring.
Feb 3, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2014
everything from onegai teacher
honestly, haven't seen worse anime yet, it's on par with mars of destruction
Feb 3, 2015 11:36 AM

Jul 2014
StevenHu said:
The most poorly written character from the "Space☆Dandy" series is Honey.

She is just the most uninteresting and bland character out of the colourful cast that she stands out as boring.

so you basically think when a character is boring he/she is 'badly-written'?
Feb 3, 2015 11:38 AM

Jul 2014
the way i see it... a character is badly written when he/she changes drastically from one time to another with no actual character development. when they're just being a certain way for the convenience of the plot.

i don't necessarily think a 'boring' character is badly written.
Feb 3, 2015 11:39 AM

Feb 2013
When a character starts doing the opposite of what the story has told me, like "this character is very sweet because blah blah and also blah blah" and then they act very diferently because yes.

Example Sakura Haruno

Feb 3, 2015 11:42 AM

Jul 2014
badwolf45f said:
When a character starts doing the opposite of what the story has told me, like "this character is very sweet because blah blah and also blah blah" and then they act very diferently because yes.

Example Sakura Haruno

YES THANK YOU BLESS YOU.
sakura haruno is my most disliked character of all time. and i agree with everything you'Ve said about her. she's so inconsistent.
that's what i personally call badly-written.
Feb 3, 2015 11:43 AM

Nov 2012
Comic_Sans said:
more like his personality changed too sudden.
pussy > badass > now suddenly silent emo like sasuke
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Feb 3, 2015 11:44 AM

Nov 2014
I don't really get it when people say that too. If it's 'badly drew' then I would understand but I don't know what is written about characters
Feb 3, 2015 11:45 AM

May 2014
A badly written character is a character whose actions conflict with the personality he is given I think.
I've been here way too long...
Feb 3, 2015 11:47 AM

May 2014
chuuzenjis said:
the way i see it... a character is badly written when he/she changes drastically from one time to another with no actual character development. when they're just being a certain way for the convenience of the plot.

^ this !!!
Feb 3, 2015 11:47 AM

May 2014
TheConquerer said:
A badly written character is a character whose actions conflict with the personality he is given I think.

^ also this
Feb 3, 2015 11:48 AM

Jun 2010
chuuzenjis said:

Being "badly-written" truly isn't subjective.
You must fit a lot of basic requirements while writing a storyline, and creating solid characters is part of it.
Background story, situational depth, characteristics and personality, development, placement... all the writing 101.
If it's badly-written it is because they fail at something.

You can think of the examples yourself.

Jul 2012
A badly written character for me is when he his development is too rushed like from one episode to another
הלב שלי כבר מת

Feb 2013
chuuzenjis said:
badwolf45f said:

Example Sakura Haruno

YES THANK YOU BLESS YOU.
sakura haruno is my most disliked character of all time. and i agree with everything you'Ve said about her. she's so inconsistent.
that's what i personally call badly-written.

I used to like her in shippuden, I liked the development she was having but at the end it was for nothing so xD

Feb 3, 2015 11:49 AM

Dec 2012
chuuzenjis said:

That's contradictive. If they changed, then they had character development. What you are describing in the first paragraph is bad character development.

Being badly written, to my understanding, should not be about personal preferences and likes and dislikes, it should be about the writing of the character, and how it fits the story they are in. Their actions shouldn't be illogical or inconsistent, if they have character development, it shouldn't feel manipulative and unrealistic. They should have a well established personality, motives, and desires. They should be rounded characters, with well fleshed out dimensions of their being and personality. Monologues, backstories, thought process helps the viewer connect to them and understand them. But like most things it always depends on their role in the story, and their purpose.

And yes some people basically treat the term as ''I dislike this character thus it's badly written'' and since people always strive to make their opinions feel more valid and ''correct'' than others due to their ego and what not, they will misuse a lot of terms like this.
Feb 3, 2015 11:49 AM

May 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
Comic_Sans said:

WTH are you talking about??!!! XP
they made an entire torture scene episode about this .... lol ...
seriously just stick with cross ange :")
leave the seinen stuff alone ...lawl
Feb 3, 2015 11:54 AM

Feb 2013
>I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.
this is why i prefer to use like/dislike instead of good/bad, and have a better opinion of people who also do so

>What is your personal criteria when you call a character 'badly-written'?
i try not to call a character (or a story) 'badly-written' as it sounds pretentious, and if i tried to put it into more words, it would probably sum up to 'i don't like the character' or 'it was generic/forgettable'
Feb 3, 2015 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
chuuzenjis said:

That's contradictive. If they changed, then they had character development. What you are describing in the first paragraph is bad character development.

Being badly written, to my understanding, should not be about personal preferences and likes and dislikes, it should be about the writing of the character, and how it fits the story they are in. Their actions shouldn't be illogical or inconsistent, if they have character development, it shouldn't feel manipulative and unrealistic. They should have a well established personality, motives, and desires. They should be rounded characters, with well fleshed out dimensions of their being and personality. Monologues, backstories, thought process helps the viewer connect to them and understand them. But like most things it always depends on their role in the story, and their purpose.

And yes some people basically treat the term as ''I dislike this character thus it's badly written'' and since people always strive to make their opinions feel more valid and ''correct'' than others due to their ego and what not, they will misuse a lot of terms like this.

yeah you're right i didn't phrase that properly. i guess what i was trying to say is that bad character development will also make the character 'badly-written'. when they're just being plot devices..you know?
and yeah i totally agree. i don't think it should be something subjective. so many people misuse the phrase really often and it's irritating to me.
Feb 3, 2015 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
romagia said:
>I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.
this is why i prefer to use like/dislike instead of good/bad, and have a better opinion of people who also do so

>What is your personal criteria when you call a character 'badly-written'?
i try not to call a character (or a story) 'badly-written' as it sounds pretentious, and if i tried to put it into more words, it would probably sum up to 'i don't like the character' or 'it was generic/forgettable'

i dont know i dont think that calling a character badly-written is pretentious. it's just that people are quick to put their own opinions above others. i personally don't mind people calling characters 'badly-written' when they really are.
Feb 3, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
chuuzenjis said:
so you basically think when a character is boring he/she is 'badly-written'?

That's only the half-truth.

Honey was probably the only uninteresting character in the otherwise interesting show meant to be fun, meaning that she doesn't really fit well with the series.

She also had no development compared to the rest of the recurring cast and her background as well as the role she played were laughably pathetic.
Feb 3, 2015 11:59 AM

Dec 2012
Badly written is still subjective no matter the criteria or standard, it's just not personal like like and dislike.

romagia said:

I feel the same away. Read or typing''Badly written'' makes me cringe. I also always try to use ''I think''' and ''imo'' when talking about quality of anime/manga, I don't like people who don't, it makes them seem like arrogant and non-self aware idiots.
Feb 3, 2015 12:05 PM

Feb 2013
WAD1992 said:
ninjastarforcex said:

I also think the change of personality is too sudden, so he was tortured to the point he learned to kick ass that well? lol

Feb 3, 2015 12:06 PM

Jun 2010
tsudecimo said:
Badly written [u]is still subjective[/u] no matter the criteria or standard, [u]it's just not personal[/u] like like and dislike.

You are not making sense.
Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria I exemplified on this thread couple of posts ago:
You must fit a lot of basic requirements while writing a storyline, and creating solid characters is part of it.
Background story, situational depth, characteristics and personality, development, placement... all the writing 101.

Sure there will be bias, but you will have proof.
Feb 3, 2015 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
xbobx said:
tsudecimo said:
Badly written [u]is still subjective[/u] no matter the criteria or standard, [u]it's just not personal[/u] like like and dislike.

Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria I exemplified on this thread couple of posts ago:

Sure there will be bias, but you will have proof.

yeah i agree with this. i think if it has basis to call a character 'badly-written' then it's not really going to be subjective.
Feb 3, 2015 12:09 PM

Nov 2012
WAD1992 said:
ninjastarforcex said:

you should ignore all of my post
your writing style is too much for me, im embarassed by just looking at your writing
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Feb 3, 2015 12:13 PM

May 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
WAD1992 said:

you should ignore all of my post
your writing style is too much for me, im embarassed by just looking at your writing

kay :)
Feb 3, 2015 12:17 PM
Mar 2012
badwolf45f said:
WAD1992 said:

I also think the change of personality is too sudden, so he was tortured to the point he learned to kick ass that well? lol

There's two points here - one is specifically about Kaneki in the anime and the other is about him as a character in general.

In the anime I would say that, due to pacing and cutting, he does change too quickly and it feels much less realistic than in the manga - or rather much less understandable.

In the manga he does change during the torture scene - but he does not 'learn to kick ass': he gives in to his animalistic side. The rest of the series is focused on that and it's made pretty clear that he is not developing well because of it, his fight with Jason was two beings ripping each other apart, not a skillful fight. His improved movement etc. is more down to his reliance on his instincts rather than anything else - all of this was caused by his humanity systematically being broken down by Jason.
Feb 3, 2015 12:17 PM

Dec 2012
xbobx said:
tsudecimo said:

Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria

Meh.
Feb 3, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2014
Kreion said:
badwolf45f said:

There's two points here - one is specifically about Kaneki in the anime and the other is about him as a character in general.

In the anime I would say that, due to pacing and cutting, he does change too quickly and it feels much less realistic than in the manga - or rather much less understandable.

In the manga he does change during the torture scene - but he does not 'learn to kick ass': he gives in to his animalistic side. The rest of the series is focused on that and it's made pretty clear that he is not developing well because of it, his fight with Jason was two beings ripping each other apart, not a skillful fight. His improved movement etc. is more down to his reliance on his instincts rather than anything else - all of this was caused by his humanity systematically being broken down by Jason.

THANK YOU !!!
tbh, i had no intention of explaining this to someone who thinks cross ange is the best thing that happens to anime :") (not talking about you @badwolf , i haven't seen your list yet, but i hope this explanation made things a bit clearer about the whole anime/manga dilemma)
Feb 3, 2015 12:32 PM

Jun 2010
tsudecimo said:
xbobx said:

Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria

Meh.

Jesus.
This copypasta is STILL around?
Okay. First things first. Next time you copy someone's work, do remember to credit them:
http://origin.myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=606831&show=-40#msg22360509
I've been here longer than you, so thinking I'd fall for this is hilarious.

Second, there's no need to link me to the freaking dictionary since, as you can see -I hope you can- I mentioned "objectively" between "quotation marks" because I was certain some turd would come and shove the subjective/objective discussion.

Third but not last, let's break down the copypasta you used.
What Orsonius is talking about on his text-wall is exactly what I was discussing.
Here in this paragraph he says:
A) has plotholes
B) offers no clear ending
C) is slow
These are all objective facts, but how you interpret them is dependent not only on the given framework, but also on your values.
Since all these frameworks are equally valid because no one can prove their objective purpose it's a matter of personal taste what you like and what not.

He's absolutely right. HOWEVER, what I brought on MY post is the first half of his sentence. The objective part. Not me neither him is talking about enjoyment. What we're doing is evaluating character construction.
Again: If a character lacks the basic attributes of a proper "character" on the plot and stands just as object and/or plot device. AND IF you can prove it. Then it's no longer an subjective matter whenever or not it's poorly written according to narrative/script construction terms.

Go (try) to be an asshole somewhere else.
Feb 3, 2015 12:34 PM

Jul 2014
lol
Feb 3, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2014
^ well this is gonna be funn!!! :")
there goes the rest of my day XD
Feb 3, 2015 12:36 PM

May 2014
chuuzenjis said:
lol

lol indeed :")
oh god imma gonna make some REAL popcorn for this :")
Feb 3, 2015 12:36 PM

Dec 2012
Man, I don't even care. I paste that copy pasta because it's easier to make people understand what I mean (first person to try and argue back after this)

The problem with the quotation objective you are using, is that standards are not universal and how to interpret the quality of literary terms isn't either. So a statement can be objective only by your own standards, which is completely pointless and worthless.

Meh.
Feb 3, 2015 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
WAD1992 said:
chuuzenjis said:
lol

lol indeed :")
oh god imma gonna make some REAL popcorn for this :")

count me in
Feb 3, 2015 12:40 PM

Mar 2014
TheConquerer said:

I've always found this definition weird.
I know people whose personality is very contradictory with their actions. Would they be badly written in a story?
Feb 3, 2015 12:41 PM

Feb 2013
xbobx said:
tsudecimo said:

Meh.

Jesus.
This copypasta is STILL around?
Okay. First things first. Next time you copy someone's work, do remember to credit them:
http://origin.myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=606831&show=-40#msg22360509
what the hell is origin.myanimelist? why does that thread have negative pages? O_o is this some twilight zone website?
Feb 3, 2015 12:42 PM

Dec 2012
He probably found the thread through google.
Feb 3, 2015 12:42 PM

Jul 2014
sullynathan said:
TheConquerer said:

I've always found this definition weird.
I know people whose personality is very contradictory with their actions. Would they be badly written in a story?

i think it's more about the fact that those characters usually only suddenly act a certain way because it's convenient for the plot
Feb 3, 2015 12:45 PM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
He probably found the thread through google.
now that you mention it, google brings up both the normal and origin.myanimelist

Feb 2013
WAD1992 said:

THANK YOU !!!
tbh, i had no intention of explaining this to someone who thinks cross ange is the best thing that happens to anime :") (not talking about you @badwolf , i haven't seen your list yet, but i hope this explanation made things a bit clearer about the whole anime/manga dilemma)

Well, I was talking about the anime not the manga, we all know manga > anime

Jul 2014
who cares about anime kaneki when manga kaneki exists though
Feb 3, 2015 12:46 PM

Oct 2013
chuuzenjis said:
I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.

Also please do give examples of such characters and why that particular character is 'badly written'.

I thought of this as well. Even if you show a person how much development a character gets, their opinion doesn't change. So Basically I don't like this character so he/she is badly written.

Well most of the time that's the case.
keragammingFeb 3, 2015 12:50 PM
Feb 3, 2015 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:

The problem with the quotation objective you are using, is that standards are not universal and how to interpret the quality of literary terms isn't either. So a statement can be objective only by your own standards, which is completely pointless and worthless.

Isnt this the same with what he stated? You guys have me confused here lol
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - May 12

31 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 3 hours ago

15 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» What'd I say?

SgtBateMan - 7 hours ago

6 by Phosphophyllita »»
4 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 12

81 by SuperAdventure »»
5 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

22 by WatchTillTandava »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.