Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2015 10:25 AM

Mar 2012
I'm curious of why someone would ever use a music review. I would much rather just listen to an album/ep/single and decide for myself if I like it or not. Don't need some dude telling me what to listen to.
Jan 28, 2015 10:29 AM

Oct 2010
people are pathetic thats why

or when they ask for songs or suggestions and you send them a song and they skim through it and listen 3 times for 10 seconds and label it as heard and close it up

just another day in how lame people are when it comes to music
lots of music -
Jan 28, 2015 2:24 PM

Mar 2014
wait, do people use music reviews like that?

i enjoy music reviews more like to see what someone elses thought of an album that i liked/disliked and why they thing of it like that.. kinda the idea as when you're discussing music with someone.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jan 28, 2015 3:28 PM

Mar 2012
gizter13 said:
wait, do people use music reviews like that?

i enjoy music reviews more like to see what someone elses thought of an album that i liked/disliked and why they thing of it like that.. kinda the idea as when you're discussing music with someone.

I'm not sure if anyone uses reviews to base what they listen too just throwing the question out there. I do like reviews to see other people's opinions on something but only if that something is something I made. I think terrible reviews on my music is absolutely hilarious. Someone on Discogs once "reviewed" my music with:

"200 Files From My Computer Converted Into Sound contains audio in the very loosest sense of the word. The issue I have (and Bong too I think) is that this release was not recorded as audio and based on the samples I have heard is not meant to be listened to (unless you want to give yourself a serious headache). Discogs Fascists may have some merit in being included on the DB because it was recorded as audio and contains some semblance of music (however annoying it may be) but this release has none.

Surely there has to come a point where a release is not acceptable here? Are we seriously going to become a dumping ground for sh*te other sites wouldn't accept? This kind of stuff wouldn't be let next nor near Rate Your Music, Allmusic or any other online cataloguing site. It makes a mockery of what constitutes an audio release. If something is not meant to be listened to then it shouldn't be on here. "

I almost died laughing
Jan 29, 2015 5:32 AM

Jan 2015
I personally like to read reviews on Sputnikmusic every now and then. Usually it is an album I am currently listening through. Why? I enjoy reading about their opinions, what they liked, what they didn't like, their interpretation, etc...

theneedledrop is a pretty popular music reviewer on youtube and I'm pretty sure he's influenced a lot of people to check out an artist/album that they haven't heard before. I don't think there's anything wrong with that imo.
deletedaccount4Jan 29, 2015 5:37 AM
Jan 29, 2015 5:41 AM

Dec 2014
I don't think I've ever read a music review in my life although that's because I'll listen to anything regardless of what genre it is or what other people think of it.
Jan 29, 2015 7:16 AM

Apr 2014
I go on RateYourMusic but I don't often read reviews. I have a couple of contacts who are decent reviewers but most people on there (most people in general, even 'professional' reviewers) don't know how to talk about music. Mostly I just look at overall ratings + the genre tags to see if I'll listen to something.
Jan 29, 2015 8:09 AM

Mar 2014
I mainly use music review sites to discover new music over anything else. Pitchfork's website is a staple on my pc.
Jan 31, 2015 2:34 AM
Jan 2015
Yes even I like to see someone else thought of an album that I liked/disliked and eager to know about their respond on the same. Same as best custom essay writing reviews, movies, songs, album reviews are also available nowadays.
Jan 31, 2015 4:34 AM

Feb 2014
Depending on which reviewer you go to, it can be useful to "filter" the "unnecessary" music and go directly on the substantial, impactful and distinct music from different times. Its also good to obtain different perspectives over something if you're interested on it.
For me its more important for classical music, so we can actually go directly on the most important works at many different aspects during the ages. Theres just too much music out there, sometimes its worth to filter it by looking at critics.
Jan 31, 2015 4:37 AM
Dec 2013
Nah, I believe in my own critical opinions and tastes.
Jan 31, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2013
I don't use music reviews, I just listen to music to form an opinion about it

I do enjoy watching some music reviewers tho, like theneedledrop, he's k
Jan 31, 2015 2:39 PM

Aug 2013
I don't think I've ever done that, nor will I ever. I don't need someone to dictate what is good and what isn't. I'm perfectly capable of making that judgment myself.
Jan 31, 2015 2:44 PM

Nov 2014
I've never done that :p.

I just listen to the stuff i like. But i enjoy to listen to a review sometimes since it can lead to other songs, which is nice :3.
Jan 31, 2015 9:38 PM

Feb 2014
Moog- said:
I don't think I've ever done that, nor will I ever. I don't need someone to dictate what is good and what isn't. I'm perfectly capable of making that judgment myself.

Thats one way of seeing it, but music reviews is also a way to enhance your experience and look at different things you could have overlooked. I'm not a fan of Scaruffi but I do like his method is evaluating the whole "Rock Era" as much objective as he can, stressing out what exactly is innovative, groundbreaking and important through the times. In this world led by the Internet, the only way to be dictated by music reviewers is by allowing them yourself, otherwise you're just researching.
Jan 31, 2015 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
No. I don't even go out and search for music most of the time.
Feb 2, 2015 3:06 AM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
No. I don't even go out and search for music most of the time.

You shuuuld
Feb 4, 2015 1:49 AM

Mar 2008
I prefer to just listen and form my own opinion. Reviews only on rare ocasions draw my attention to a band I have not listened to before.
Feb 4, 2015 2:43 PM

Jun 2008
Nah, never use them. I mean, why watch a review for something that will only last 4 -5 minutes?
Feb 5, 2015 7:14 PM

Dec 2010
Not really. Unlike anime, I can listen to an album relatively quickly, (obviously) and that makes it all that accessible and easier to judge. I do enjoy reading reviews after the fact, though, since I'm interested in other opinions.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7635 by Kazeninjaryu1 »»
1 hour ago

» Post your current main audio set up

tsukareru - Dec 20, 2023

8 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

33 by BookBirdie »»
4 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

16 by Spunkert »»
7 hours ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

35 by Cammell »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.