Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2015 4:19 PM

Jul 2014
Please, recommend me something good, that I haven’t listed already (my lists are messy, I am afraid, but they are more or less complete)! I can’t get hooked on anything I’ve found recently myself and I start to starve for a good manga. I know, that it’s a lazy request – sorry! – but I am out of ideas.

The ideal choice would be something with psychological side to the story. Preferably not too cliché or childish. But I am more or less omnivorous, so quality stuff of most genres would be fine – romance, action, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, everything. All major demographics as well.

I am not a fan of shounen-ai, yaoi, shoujo-ai and yuri, but if manga of one of these genres has good sides besides a same-sex love story, I’ll read it.

Maybe you know, something that has been completed by author a while ago, so it’s out of everyone’s radar, but good, or a new developing story. Anything helps!
Jan 27, 2015 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Anything?

I'll just pick ones I like from my list if you're ok with that.

Ao Haru Ride
Apocalypse no Toride
Binbougami ga! *
Chihayafuru
Gintama
Kagerou Days
Orange
SKET Dance *
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan *

* completed
Jan 27, 2015 4:24 PM

Jan 2015
Physiological related manga:
Aku No Hana
Mirai Nikki
Bloody Monday
Parasyte
Psyren
Eden: It's an Endless World!
Blame!
Jan 27, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2014
Magnolia said:
I'll just pick ones I like from my list if you're ok with that.

Thanks! Yeah, I just want something really good, that other people like. Can't say that I have preferences left by now. -_-

Sacredhearts said:
Physiological related manga:

Thank you! Though I've read a few of them.
Jan 27, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2010
This link might prove helpful to you:

http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/recommendations
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 27, 2015 4:47 PM

Jul 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
This link might prove helpful to you:

http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/recommendations

Oh, thank you! That's really useful - I know little about horror manga. I've made an extensive list, but I am not in the mood for the most bizarre and scary heavies at the moment. But that wasn't stated in my request and I'll be sure to check this list for something not too traumatizing, so this remark is purely convesratonal - I appreciate you help a lot!
Jan 27, 2015 4:49 PM
Dec 2014
Girls of the Wild's (very good drama + comedy + romance)

Tower of God (highest rated manhwa out there)

The Gamer (lots of comedy with fantasy and rpg elements in a 21 century Japan setting)

Soul Cartel (comedy + fantasy. It's very enjoyable)

Battle Royale (this was the manga that Hunger Games was inspired from)
--------
I'd love to know if you liked any of those or not. If you want more, just ask :)
Jan 27, 2015 5:10 PM

Jul 2014
orario said:

Thanks! I've heard many good things about Tower of God, but I am reluctant to start a webtoon. I haven't really liked any that I've tried to read (besides art).
I couldn't get into Battle Royale, when I tried to read it, a couple of years ago, I don't think it will change.

Oh, the others are in web format too! Hmm. I think that I'll try Soul Cartel and The Gamer.
Jan 27, 2015 5:22 PM
Dec 2014
deadoptimist said:
orario said:

Thanks! I've heard many good things about Tower of God, but I am reluctant to start a webtoon. I haven't really liked any that I've tried to read (besides art).
I couldn't get into Battle Royale, when I tried to read it, a couple of years ago, I don't think it will change.

Oh, the others are in web format too! Hmm. I think that I'll try Soul Cartel and The Gamer.

Ah so you want only licensed manga..?
The check out these ones:
1. Ubel Blatt
- badass antihero MC
- good plot
- very good art
- fantasy medieval setting
- a little dark (it's supposed to be like that since the main theme is revenge)

2. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
- 4 highschool students transported to another world
- it's not a happy go lucky plot
- medieval fantasy setting with rpg elements
- deals with some dark themes but still it doesn't give a dark vibe like Ubel Blatt, mostly because there some comedy scenes too

3. Denpa Kyoushi
- a genius physician and an otaku at the same time lives as a NEET until his sister forces him to go to work. So he becomes a teacher
- expect lots of comedy
Jan 27, 2015 5:30 PM

Jul 2014
orario said:

Oh no, god forbid. Licensed manga in Russia? No-o. There is some, but only a few most popular titles. I just happen to dislike the webtoon format.
(I am sorry, if I seem picky - I am grateful for recommendations, but I can't help to judge them according to my taste.)

The second number looks attractive, thank you! Maybe I'll check the third one. I've heard that it will get an adaptation soon.
I disliked the beginning of Ubel Blatt, but I think I'll have to return to it now that it has a lot of material to know for sure.
Jan 27, 2015 5:34 PM
Dec 2014
deadoptimist said:
orario said:

Oh no, god forbid. Licensed manga in Russia? No-o. There is some, but only a few most popular titles. I just happen to dislike the webtoon format.
(I am sorry, if I seem picky - I am grateful for recommendations, but I can't help to judge them according to my taste.)

The second number looks attractive, thank you! Maybe I'll check the third one. I've heard that it will get an adaptation soon.
I disliked the beginning of Ubel Blatt, but I think I'll have to return to it now that it has a lot of material to know for sure.

Don't be silly. It's normal to have different tastes. I would also not read something I don't like.
But as a piece of advice, try manhwas (webtoons). From my point of view they are better than manga and that not only because of the artwork.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked at least one haha
Jan 27, 2015 5:36 PM

Jan 2015
Not sure if you've read it but I also recommend Bakuman. It's an enjoyable read if you want something more lighthearted
Jan 27, 2015 5:39 PM

Jul 2014
orario said:
But as a piece of advice, try manhwas (webtoons). From my point of view they are better than manga and that not only because of the artwork.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked at least one haha

Yeah, thanks again! I've tried some webmanhwas, and I've got the impression that, if compared with typical manga, they're a bit like LN to popular literature - convenient format, colored, but slightly less detailed art (in terms of linework), easier, but more emotional plots. I start them, enjoy the art, but can't get involved, so I drop'em. I guess, that's where some line lies for me.
Jan 27, 2015 5:42 PM

Jul 2014
Sacredhearts said:
Not sure if you've read it but I also recommend Bakuman. It's an enjoyable read if you want something more lighthearted

Thank you! I've been considering reading it for some time. I am not terribly interested into a meta story, but I've read several very positive reviews.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 7 hours ago

5 by mo_lave »»
4 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
38 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
1 hour ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
5 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.