Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2015 9:29 AM

Apr 2014
So, which one do you prefer? Do you feel the medium you prefer still have some disadvantage towards the other?

And yes, I realize we are an anime community. Most, if not all, will prefer anime. But could still be interesting to see why people prefer anime over live-action and if the reasons are similar to each other.

On the flip side though, I honestly can't say I prefer either medium. There's some brilliant live-action stuff that I love and simply have an anime in a similar niche that can beat them (such as Requiem for a Dream, Poirot, Skins etc) and some brilliant anime series I love that I don't think would be done in live-action (WIXOSS, Kara no Kyoukai). No really, I like both mediums for what they are. I am more knowledgable about anime though and is therefore better at evaluating it, which adds to my enjoyment. Also, lack of something like MAL for live-action TV shows/movies doesn't help either.
No validation, no applause
You don't have prove you got it when you know it's yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSKDIcpdSE
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 25, 2015 6:26 PM

Dec 2013
So i'll try my best to write a response on this but I'm not really sure what you mean by "live action", like power rangers or something. I know that dragonball z movie was a complete bust.

The problem with live action is that it takes a lot of budget to make the live action represent the light novel material and only a few shows like Naruto and One Piece probably has had that type of revenue to be able to make the show right in a live action form.
Jan 25, 2015 8:17 PM

Apr 2014
I mean anything that's not animated but with actors etc instead. TV shows, movies etc. Not just limited to adaptation from anime/LN's/manga etc but western stuff as well.

Jan 25, 2015 9:49 PM

Jun 2014
I dont understand much about live action stuff but if i were to apoint a difference is that when its in live action it can be more emotional, because well, you see actual people doing stuff. In animation i think is easier to be expressive and sureal because there is no actual limitation on what you can animate.
Remember guys, I AM NOT A PARAGON OF TASTE.

I HAVE SHIT TASTE LIKE THE REST OF YOU.
Jan 25, 2015 10:32 PM

Dec 2013
ftFate said:
I mean anything that's not animated but with actors etc instead. TV shows, movies etc. Not just limited to adaptation from anime/LN's/manga etc but western stuff as well.

One way that live action in an anime standpoint can prevail would probably be in the slice of life category as most anime fans find it boring but a lot of TV shows use real life aspects with comedy of course and are very successful like big bang theory.

When you bring budget into the conversation though, I don't think it is fair to compare anime to a 300 million dollar movie production like one of those Marvel Movies.
Jan 25, 2015 11:01 PM

Jun 2014
You can compare, what is a well writen story is independent of the media you use and de budget you have. The only thing that changes is the aesthetics.
Remember guys, I AM NOT A PARAGON OF TASTE.

I HAVE SHIT TASTE LIKE THE REST OF YOU.
Jan 29, 2015 4:13 AM

May 2013
I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other, but rather that anime is more appealing to me in general because the medium seems to lend itself more easily to a greater variety of settings, some of which would look poor in live-action form (I certainly do not want to see Buggy the Clown in a live-action movie, ever).

On the other hand, Breaking Bad > all (I still need to watch The Wire though)
Jan 29, 2015 4:36 AM

Apr 2014
thanna said:

I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other, but rather that anime is more appealing to me in general because the medium seems to lend itself more easily to a greater variety of settings, some of which would look poor in live-action form (I certainly do not want to see Buggy the Clown in a live-action movie, ever).

On the other hand, Skins > all (I still need to watch The Wire though)

FTFY. First 4 seasons of that I still think I prefer over any anime I've seen, but idk tbh, was a while ago now

But tbh I might prefer anime because I have niche taste, the stuff the mainstream likes usually doesn't resonate with me

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 8 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - Yesterday

15 by AndromedaGalaxy3 »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 7 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - May 1

20 by Gwathgor »»
Yesterday, 7:11 PM

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 6 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - Apr 30

23 by Gwathgor »»
Yesterday, 7:02 PM

» 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 5 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - Apr 29

29 by HaXXspetten »»
Yesterday, 12:50 PM

» 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 4 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - Apr 28

28 by HaXXspetten »»
May 1, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.