Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2014 10:26 AM
Jun 2014
Hi! I'm an aspiring mangaka who is currently working in a project called Nana-hon no Ken(Seven Swords), It's my very first work and I wanted more people to read it and give me some feedback if possible.

You can read the first 5 chapters in this web site:
http://www.inkblazers.com/manga-and-comics/Nana-hon-no-Ken/detail-page/8851?lang=en

But, sadly, due to economical issues, this site is shutting down this February. So, within January, I'll be transferring my work to this other one:
http://tapastic.com/series/Nana-hon-no-Ken

Here you have some random pages from the latest chapter

YamamotoSenseiDec 29, 2014 9:06 AM
Dec 29, 2014 8:22 AM

Oct 2012
hey i could only read the first two chapters but heres what i think so far

you're pacing is quite good! i was surprised. you use wordless panels really well and the story is told at a pretty appropriate pace. would you mind telling us about the over arching plot of the story? i think that would help for criticism. unfortunately so far the story is pretty unoriginal, so that could use some work. but its early so ill withhold judgement on that for the most part.

you clearly have artistic talent, but honestly your art is at a pretty amateurish level. it looks like the art of someone whos enjoyed drawing all their lives, but never sat down and learned all the technical stuff. you have to learn the boring technicalities or your work will suffer. you're very good about shading, your backgrounds look nice and the gun and the car were quite well drawn, but unfortunately your people arent super anatomically accurate. the most important thing i can tell you is WORK ON ANATOMY if youre serious about writing a good comic. i can tell that you know in your mind what you want your panels to look like, and the angels you show things at are impressive, but you dont have a very good grasp on anatomy so everything looks awkward. study anatomy, learn what people really look like, and your work will seem much more professional. that includes facial anatomy. even if your writing is good, if the characters look like they were drawn by an amateur no one will take your work seriously.

here http://www.posemaniacs.com/ thats the best website i know for learning anatomy. anyway, i think its awesome that youre writing a comic. i think everyone should write and draw, and i really think you have a lot of potential. i hope this helps!
Dec 29, 2014 9:48 AM
Jun 2014
simonephone said:
hey i could only read the first two chapters but heres what i think so far

you're pacing is quite good! i was surprised. you use wordless panels really well and the story is told at a pretty appropriate pace. would you mind telling us about the over arching plot of the story? i think that would help for criticism. unfortunately so far the story is pretty unoriginal, so that could use some work. but its early so ill withhold judgement on that for the most part.

you clearly have artistic talent, but honestly your art is at a pretty amateurish level. it looks like the art of someone whos enjoyed drawing all their lives, but never sat down and learned all the technical stuff. you have to learn the boring technicalities or your work will suffer. you're very good about shading, your backgrounds look nice and the gun and the car were quite well drawn, but unfortunately your people arent super anatomically accurate. the most important thing i can tell you is WORK ON ANATOMY if youre serious about writing a good comic. i can tell that you know in your mind what you want your panels to look like, and the angels you show things at are impressive, but you dont have a very good grasp on anatomy so everything looks awkward. study anatomy, learn what people really look like, and your work will seem much more professional. that includes facial anatomy. even if your writing is good, if the characters look like they were drawn by an amateur no one will take your work seriously.

here http://www.posemaniacs.com/ thats the best website i know for learning anatomy. anyway, i think its awesome that youre writing a comic. i think everyone should write and draw, and i really think you have a lot of potential. i hope this helps!

First of all, Thanks for taking the time to read my work, now I'll answer every point of your feedback.
Well, the general plot of the story is about how the main character, the kid, goes all around the world searching for 7 powerful swords to destroy them for some reason which is too complex and I don't want to spoil. About chapter 7, when he remembers again everything about the village he used to live and his family, is when the story starts to go crazy.

About the anatomy... I'm actually not an amateur at all, I have studied a lot of anatomy and I'm also quite good at realistic drawing. It may sound like a cheap excuse, but his is what happened: I used to draw very good manga drawings, very detailed and proportioned, but they took me about a month to make each one. I was not used at all to make 20 pages per month, like I'm doing now, and not used to draw in small panels nor action scenes. And that's it, I recognize that the first chapters were really crappy drawn, but I have worked a lot on that and you can see the improvement in the random pages from chapter 5 I left in the first post.
And thanks for the link! It's really useful. Thanks again for reading.
Dec 29, 2014 2:18 PM

Jun 2014
Something about that punching stance really bothers me. It doesn't really look right in comparison to how people are supposed to punch.

The hair bothers me too. It's just.. black. Or toned. Hair reflects light, but in this it's just all one color. And it looks kind of weird.

I'm also a bit confused on the one page where block-hair guy deflect straggly-hair guy's kick. I don't really understand what's going on there. It looks kind of like straggly-hair guy is flying backwards perpendicular to black-hair guy, but then in the next panel it seems like he's on his feet. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it doesn't look right.

I also find the facial expressions to be kind of "meh" at times, but I guess they're okay.
Dec 30, 2014 3:50 AM

Oct 2012
YamamotoSensei said:

First of all, Thanks for taking the time to read my work, now I'll answer every point of your feedback.

for sure man im enjoying it so far.

YamamotoSensei said:
Well, the general plot of the story is about how the main character, the kid, goes all around the world searching for 7 powerful swords to destroy them for some reason which is too complex and I don't want to spoil. About chapter 7, when he remembers again everything about the village he used to live and his family, is when the story starts to go crazy.

okay well thats not a particularly original plot, but that's also pretty vague so far so ill continue withholding judgement til you post more lol

YamamotoSensei said:
About the anatomy... I'm actually not an amateur at all, I have studied a lot of anatomy and I'm also quite good at realistic drawing. It may sound like a cheap excuse, but his is what happened: I used to draw very good manga drawings, very detailed and proportioned, but they took me about a month to make each one.

okay well thats good news actually. heres what you should do. spend less time on the details, but more time on the initial sketches. that way youll spend about as much time drawing, but your art quality will improve a lot. very detailed things with not so great proportions dont look nice, but very proportionate things with minimalistic detailing usually look just fine. focus less on adding effects and shading and just get the initial sketches to look legit and your art quality will rise quite a bit.

dream_eater1012 said:

The hair bothers me too. It's just.. black. Or toned. Hair reflects light, but in this it's just all one color. And it looks kind of weird.

yeah probably calm it down with the hair too

good job tho!

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

434 by sharokirima »»
Today, 4:28 AM

» Share Your YouTube Best Video!

salsalsalsal - Sep 18

0 by salsalsalsal »»
Sep 18, 1:20 AM

» TAKARA Jenny - "Angel's Garden" Lillian

MasterTasuke - Sep 16

0 by MasterTasuke »»
Sep 16, 5:57 AM

» A decent resolution for about me

CuteChaff3503 - Sep 16

1 by deg »»
Sep 16, 3:24 AM

» Ranka Lee (MACROSS Frontier) MegaHouse, 2008

MasterTasuke - Jul 23

2 by MasterTasuke »»
Sep 15, 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.