Forum Settings
Forums

Favorite Punk Bands? (Ranging from NY to Seattle to Canadian to UK and beyond, all eras)

New
Dec 17, 2014 8:32 PM

Dec 2014
Title explains it all...and if you don't like punk, flaming on here isn't necessary.
(っ◔◡◔)っ just on my dumb shit
Dec 18, 2014 5:18 AM

Mar 2013
Anilapse said:
Title explains it all...and if you don't like punk, flaming on here isn't necessary.

Dead Kennedys
Misfits
Offspring
And generally many Ska bands like Talco.
Dec 18, 2014 6:22 AM

Mar 2014
allright, going to try and make a top 10 pretty quickly, might not be the most acurate since i never really thought beyond top 3, but there more bands i feel like they are worth mentioning.

1. Dystopia
2. Skaven
3. Rudimentary Peni
4. Ramlord
5. Carol Ann
6. Contravene
7. Amebix
8. Misanthropic
9. Doom
10. Natural Cause / GISM (shared spot, can't choose, been listening to GISM more often these days, but been into Natural Cause way longer.

are you going to share your favorites aswell OP?
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 18, 2014 6:48 AM
Jun 2014
I like classic punk rock Iron Maiden.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 18, 2014 7:11 AM

Mar 2013
Zarbel said:

u w0t m8?

Iron Maiden punk rock?
Dec 18, 2014 7:41 AM

Mar 2014
Breaz said:
Zarbel said:

u w0t m8?

Iron Maiden punk rock?

really hope hes joking.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 18, 2014 9:11 AM
Jun 2014
gizter13 said:
Breaz said:

u w0t m8?

Iron Maiden punk rock?

really hope hes joking.

Are you nuts? It was when Paul Di'Anno sang for them. Listen to their first two albums. They had more of a punk sound but they became more heavy metal when Bruce Dickinson joined.
KaiwaiikillahDec 18, 2014 9:14 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 18, 2014 9:51 AM

Mar 2014
Zarbel said:
gizter13 said:

really hope hes joking.

Are you nuts? It was when Paul Di'Anno sang for them. Listen to their first two albums. They had more of a punk sound but they became more heavy metal when Bruce Dickinson joined.

they have allways been heavy metal, the first 2 ablums where a bit rawer then the new stuff, i think Bruce even said Paul was more of a punk styled vocalist.
but Harris constantly bashes on punk in almost every interview. claiming they wanted nothing to do with punk.

''Q:
The first two Maiden albums to me sound like a mixture of hard rock and punk.

A (Harris):
Sorry, but I hate punk. I don´t know where you get that impression from. It´s probably the aggression. It was really the flaming aggression of young guys that have energy and power. So the songs are rather fast. But we have never had any relation to punk. We absolutely hated that. Most of them couldn´t play but they got gigs and gigs at that time. It pissed us off cause we can play and they can´t play. It became fashionable, so we hated it. ''

----
most other NWOBHM bands will admit that punk influenced them. but still, you can't ever call any of them punk bands. especialy Maiden, they hate it when people compare them.
gizter13Dec 18, 2014 9:59 AM
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 18, 2014 10:04 AM

Dec 2007
Wire.

Although they're more post-punk, especially after the first album. Other than them, I've never actually looked into the genre, outside an occasional song, for some reason.
Dec 20, 2014 10:17 PM

Dec 2014
Sweet. I'm definitely into Dead Kennedys, Misfits, etc...
also if anyone's interested (a little less 'conventional'):
NoMeansNo
Primus
for something a little more skater-style and Ramones-y (simple, repetitive, fun)
NOFX
Rancid, Operation Ivy
and there is quite literally endless amounts of garage bands out there between the 70s and now that are just waitin' to be discovered. I'm really into experimental, weird shit like Mr Bungle and many others.
I guess what I'm saying is my taste is all over the place.

EDIT: You could say my taste would really range between experimental rock and different subgenres of punk, technically speaking. Albeit I won't judge who posts what band on here, seeing as how arguing over what genre fits what band doesn't really get us anywhere anyway. I mean, unless you want to, lol. Just don't take it personally. Punk is controversial in itself and its meaning has been confused for years. So, it's likely that people have different ideas of what it is.
AnilapseDec 20, 2014 10:24 PM
Dec 21, 2014 12:56 AM

Mar 2013
The Clash
Cold War Embryos
Rats on Rafts
The Ramones
Death (Detroit band, not the metal one)
MoodymannDec 21, 2014 12:59 AM
Dec 21, 2014 12:59 AM

Oct 2013
Midori
Dec 21, 2014 3:22 AM

Dec 2014
Tragedy
White Lung
Ceremony
Pissed Jeans
Tigers Jaw
RVIVR
Gaslight Anthem
Burning Love
Modern Life Is War
Title Fight
Dec 21, 2014 6:26 AM

Mar 2014
Echodream said:
Tragedy
White Lung
Ceremony
Pissed Jeans
Tigers Jaw
RVIVR
Gaslight Anthem
Burning Love
Modern Life Is War
Title Fight

Tragedy's 'Can We Call This Life' is such an amazing EP, too bad its so short.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 21, 2014 7:19 AM

Dec 2014
gizter13 said:

Tragedy's 'Can We Call This Life' is such an amazing EP, too bad its so short.

I think all their releases are amazing, except maybe the last one
Dec 21, 2014 9:39 AM

Nov 2014
The Stooges
Husker Du
Converge
Dec 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
The Ramones are the only punk group I ever listened to.

Dec 21, 2014 10:10 AM

Dec 2014
Promethazine said:
The Clash
Cold War Embryos
Rats on Rafts
The Ramones
Death (Detroit band, not the metal one)

Death and Bad Brains are definitely favorable for me
Dec 21, 2014 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
genetix said:
The Stooges
Husker Du
Converge
Dec 21, 2014 10:26 AM

Nov 2011
I quite like The Clash though I really need to listen to more of them. Rock the Casbah is a favorite of mine. Couldn't really get into the Ramones though. As far as pop punk goes the only one worth paying attention to was The Offspring for albums like Smash and Americana. I like some more extreme punk like Antisect a lot in fact I think In Darkness there is no choice is a better representative of how thrash should be than most actual thrash albums like Kill em all and Reign in blood. Also I used to be into a bit ofgrindcore like S.O.B and Repulsion.

Not sure if they're really all that related to Punk but I'm a huge fan of Throbbing Gristle.
Dec 21, 2014 11:47 AM

Apr 2014
Offspring, Sum 41, Blink 182.
Dec 21, 2014 12:03 PM

Dec 2014
Sum 41
Bad Brains
Misfits
Dead Kennedys
Dec 21, 2014 9:40 PM

Aug 2008
1. ミドリ (Midori)

2. 385

3. Fugazi

4. Bleach

5. The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower

6. McLusky

7. スカートの中 (Skirt no Naka)

8. ギャーギャーズ (Gyagyazu)

9. The Mad Capsule Markets

10. 銀杏BOYZ (Ginnan Boyz)

Honorable mentions (I tried to keep my list as close to what I think "pure" punk would be, so I cut these out, but I would actually consider all of them to be punk in their own right as well)
神聖かまってちゃん (Shinsei Kamattechan)
Melt-Banana
The Blood Brothers
Maximum the Hormone
灰緑 (Haimidori)

Really I could go on and on listing punk bands, especially Japanese ones (if people are interested I can post a bunch more underground Japanese punk). In my opinion, Japan has the best punk scene in the world right now.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Dec 21, 2014 9:42 PM

Mar 2013
I like Perfect Pussy and White Lung. Also Iceage.

Titus Andronicus was punk once.

I think old school punk sucks balls. Newer punk and pop punk and emo is super good though.
Dec 21, 2014 10:20 PM

Dec 2014
AudioTsunami said:

I think old school punk sucks balls. Newer punk and pop punk and emo is super good though.
Personally not at all a fan of emo. But...to each their own, right?
Dec 21, 2014 10:30 PM

Aug 2008
Anilapse said:
AudioTsunami said:

I hate pop punk (pop and punk are just things that can't mix), but earlier emo stuff like Cap'N Jazz, American Football, and such was great.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Dec 22, 2014 2:43 AM

Nov 2011
AudioTsunami said:

Newer punk, pop punk, and emo are garbage tbh.
Dec 22, 2014 4:56 AM

Mar 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
AudioTsunami said:

What do you mean by newer punk? There are still new punk bands that are really awesome. I agree on pop punk and emo punk, only have the "punk" in it so people listening to them won't feel too bad about themselves for liking pop and emo music.
Dec 22, 2014 5:25 AM

Feb 2010
Knochenfabrik
Wizo
Slime
Die Kassierer
Misfits

I'm mostly familiar with german punk.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 22, 2014 6:40 AM

Mar 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
I like some more extreme punk like Antisect a lot in fact I think In Darkness there is no choice is a better representative of how thrash should be than most actual thrash albums like Kill em all and Reign in blood.

Antisect are amazing indeed.
multiple bands with a similiar sound as Antisect did eventialy become thrash bands though. Hellbastard and Sacrilege are good examples of that. while some others became death metal (where a bit louder to begin with).
Antisect phad a big influence in the creation on stenchcore too, really thankfull for that.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 22, 2014 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
Breaz said:
DragonQuest3 said:

What do you mean by newer punk? There are still new punk bands that are really awesome. I agree on pop punk and emo punk, only have the "punk" in it so people listening to them won't feel too bad about themselves for liking pop and emo music.

Try linking me to a few YouTube video I mean I just know a lot of modern bands have these awful screams that I can't stand especially in the screamo department. Those bad vocals are a large reason as to why I don't venture too far past the 80s that often they really do make me cringe.

gizter13 said:
DragonQuest3 said:
I like some more extreme punk like Antisect a lot in fact I think In Darkness there is no choice is a better representative of how thrash should be than most actual thrash albums like Kill em all and Reign in blood.

Antisect are amazing indeed.
multiple bands with a similiar sound as Antisect did eventialy become thrash bands though. Hellbastard and Sacrilege are good examples of that. while some others became death metal (where a bit louder to begin with).
Antisect phad a big influence in the creation on stenchcore too, really thankfull for that.

I once heard Antisect were an arguable case as the creators of Crust Punk. Sometimes the thin line between punk and metal is so thin I don't see the point of having it there lol. In Darkness there is no choice really does fulfill the goals of a thrash album so I highly rec it to anyone who loves thrash.
Dec 22, 2014 11:23 AM

Oct 2014
- Anti-Flag
- Billy Talent
- RVIVR (got into these guys earlier this year they're amazing)
- Misfits
- Black Flag
- Jawbreaker

and so many, many more!
Dec 22, 2014 11:37 AM

Mar 2014
DragonQuest3 said:

Try linking me to a few YouTube video I mean I just know a lot of modern bands have these awful screams that I can't stand especially in the screamo department. Those bad vocals are a large reason as to why I don't venture too far past the 80s that often they really do make me cringe.

theres a massive variety of bands these days. i dont know what you mean with allfull screams though,
but heres some newer(1999-2014) bands that i recomend, though a lot are crust, and sometimes extremely close to metal.:
[spoiler]

M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 22, 2014 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
gizter13 said:
DragonQuest3 said:

theres a massive variety of bands these days. i dont know what you mean with allfull screams though,
but heres some newer(1999-2014) bands that i recomend, though a lot are crust, and sometimes extremely close to metal.:
[spoiler]

I will check those out around midnight when ever I have free downloading and can watch them. Some of those album covers look rather promising though. I'm not sure if there's a word for it but a lot of newer bands have this really awful style of screaming I hate the best way I can describe it is an emo band trying to sound brutal lol. I guess its called a screamo scream.
Dec 22, 2014 12:21 PM

Apr 2009
Ramones
H2O
The Offspring
Operation Ivy
Rise Against
Rancid
The Bouncing Souls
Minor Threat
Sum 41 (exclusively their early material, I don't know if you can call their most recent work punk)
Against Me!
Bad Religion
Billy Talent
Bad Brains
X
The Misfits

I would say that my top 3 would consist of The Bouncing Souls, Operation Ivy, and a very close call between Rise Against and Minor Threat (could honestly go either way).
Dec 22, 2014 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
Anilapse said:
AudioTsunami said:

Probably listening to the wrong emo.

Kyzix said:

I hate pop punk (pop and punk are just things that can't mix), but earlier emo stuff like Cap'N Jazz, American Football, and such was great.

American Football isn't early emo, but yeah that stuff is the right emo. Also Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbox, appleseed cast.

DragonQuest3 said:

And most old punk is played by dudes that don't know how to play instruments and/or sounds like it was recorded on a tin can at an airport. There are literally like 4 good 80s punk bands that were actually good in the 80s.

DragonQuest3 said:

I'm not linking you anything. I already named 4 decent punk bands.Perfect Pussy, White Lung, The Moniter by Titus Andronicus, Iceage. Start there? Also Flatliners, Bomb The Music Industry!, older Menzingers, RVIVR, old Against Me!. That's a super quick list and at least like 12 albums worth of good material.

Breaz said:
]
I agree on pop punk and emo punk, only have the "punk" in it so people listening to them won't feel too bad about themselves for liking pop and emo music.

This comment is just super ignorant. I don't have time to list every band that proces this statement is nothing more than ridiculously ignorance but I'll stick with just 2, Descendants from the pop punk end and American Football from the Emo side.

----

I'm really happy about the emo revival happening right now with guys like You Blew It!, The Hotelier, and The War On Drugs.
AudioTsunamiDec 22, 2014 3:18 PM
Dec 22, 2014 4:09 PM

Mar 2014
AudioTsunami said:

DragonQuest3 said:

And most old punk is played by dudes that don't know how to play instruments and/or sounds like it was recorded on a tin can at an airport. There are literally like 4 good 80s punk bands that were actually good in the 80s.

thats just ignorant of you man. the majority of the bands in the 80's did know how to play their instruments, you just never seem to have cared about looking into any of it. (just like those otheres seemed to have done with the stuff you like)
and yeah, there where loads of bands that coulnt play that well, and there where loads of bands that put their message before the music. paying more thought into writing lyrics than into writing riffs. diffrent bands have diffrent priorities, it was like that back then, and still is today.

and even if the quality is poor, thats no reason to rip on them. it was recorded a long time ago, mostly by poor bands in squats with unprofesional equipment. what did you expect it to sound like? a million dollar Metalica album?? you know that the bands didn't have any better options. they worked with what they have.

[spoiler]
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 22, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
AudioTsunami said:
Anilapse said:

Probably listening to the wrong emo.

Kyzix said:

American Football isn't early emo, but yeah that stuff is the right emo. Also Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbox, appleseed cast.

DragonQuest3 said:

DragonQuest3 said:

I'm not linking you anything. I already named 4 decent punk bands.Perfect Pussy, White Lung, The Moniter by Titus Andronicus, Iceage. Start there? Also Flatliners, Bomb The Music Industry!, older Menzingers, RVIVR, old Against Me!. That's a super quick list and at least like 12 albums worth of good material.

Breaz said:
]
I agree on pop punk and emo punk, only have the "punk" in it so people listening to them won't feel too bad about themselves for liking pop and emo music.

This comment is just super ignorant. I don't have time to list every band that proces this statement is nothing more than ridiculously ignorance but I'll stick with just 2, Descendants from the pop punk end and American Football from the Emo side.

----

I'm really happy about the emo revival happening right now with guys like You Blew It!, The Hotelier, and The War On Drugs.

Really I'm not huge enough into punk to actually be that offended but lol at a band who would name themselves perfect pussy. Also you reccomended me Rise against so I'm a Lil scared. Plus I didn't ask for you to link me to any videos dude.
Dec 22, 2014 4:27 PM

Mar 2013
Umm, the two most famous punk bands of the time were awful musicians(Sex pistols and Ramones)

I have listened to vast vast quantities of 80s punk and what I said is mostly true. You're right, it's not their fault it sounds like ass, but I exist in a time where some kid can make an album on his laptop for practically free and it won't sound like shit. Why would I listen to anything that sounded like it was recorded in guitar center? That's not all we have anymore, We are a more advanced society and most 80s punk is obsolete.

Both things you linked sounded like ass.

Edit: Dude I hardly listen to punk, anymore. I pretty much only listen to rap now cause honestly, it's way more fun. Takes effort to link you anything. Also I didn't recommend you rise against. Learn to read, sucka.

They named themselves Perfect Pussy because they female fronted hardcore punk band preaching feminist values. And it's awesome.

AudioTsunamiDec 22, 2014 4:33 PM
Dec 22, 2014 4:49 PM

Mar 2014
AudioTsunami said:
Umm, the two most famous punk bands of the time were awful musicians(Sex pistols and Ramones)

I have listened to vast vast quantities of 80s punk and what I said is mostly true. You're right, it's not their fault it sounds like ass, but I exist in a time where some kid can make an album on his laptop for practically free and it won't sound like shit. Why would I listen to anything that sounded like it was recorded in guitar center? That's not all we have anymore, We are a more advanced society and most 80s punk is obsolete.

both the Sex Pistols and Ramones are 70's bands man. and i really don't like both of them ether.

theres a lot of people who care about the message the bands had aswell as just loads of people who just like the music they played, most people can listen past the bad recording quality and still enjoy the songs. if you cant, than thats fine, don't listen to it, but saying enything those bands did is worth nothing today simply becouse the sounds quality wasnt great is one of the stupidest things i heard in a while. what about all the bands from the 40's and such, those recordings whern't great ether. should we just forget about them aswell? and what about old movies and games? your logic doesnt make any sense at all to me.

as for the bedroom producer thing you where mentioning, you cant compare that to actualy recording an album. its a completely diffrent process. they dont have to record a physical instrument into a digital format. notice practicly every starting band these days also have bad recording couse they cant pay big money to get that nice polished production.
and then theres still bands who really dont even try, just a 'fuck you' to people like you who seem to care more about the sound quality than the actual music.

and its fine if you don't like the tracks i posted, i just wanted to show that there where bands that could play their instruments. thats all.

good night.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Dec 22, 2014 5:05 PM

Nov 2011
AudioTsunami said:

Edit: Dude I hardly listen to punk, anymore. I pretty much only listen to rap now cause honestly, it's way more fun. Takes effort to link you anything. Also I didn't recommend you rise against. Learn to read, sucka.

They named themselves Perfect Pussy because they female fronted hardcore punk band preaching feminist values. And it's awesome.

The Ramones and The sex pistols are 70s and honestly The Clash was way better than either of them. Also if you prefer rap why would you even care about how well an artist can play therir instruments?
Dec 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2009
The Proletariat
Joy Division
Void
No Trend
MDC
Negative FX
JFA
NOTA
The Avengers
Bad Brains
Circle Jerks
Off!
Minor Threat
SS Decontrol
Negative Approach
Jerry's Kids
Angry Samoans
Flipper
Fearless Iranians From Hell
The FUs
Fang
Varukers
Adrenalin O.D.
Government Warning
The Spits

...to name a few.
Dec 22, 2014 10:29 PM

Aug 2008
AudioTsunami said:

Kyzix said:

I guess they aren't as early as like Rites of Spring or Cap'n Jazz, but if you count Appleseed Cast, then I'd say American Football counts as early emo since they both formed in 1997
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jan 15, 2015 6:37 AM

May 2013
The CLASH
Alkaline Trio
Arctic Monkeys (The fetus alex turner)

I smell teh blood of a fagit!
Jul 7, 2021 8:59 PM
Dec 2017
The mistfits
sex pistols
cky
blink 182
sum 41

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
3 hours ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 6 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
6 hours ago

» BEST WEEZER SONG???

removed-user - Jan 29

5 by Eternal_Rest »»
8 hours ago

» What sort of songs do you listen to ? ( 1 2 )

scarydragon - Aug 1, 2023

52 by Eternal_Rest »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.