Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2014 12:10 AM

Jun 2014
Amuses me that it has such a low rating.

I'm not sure if people just don't like the show, erroneously believe that it is a rip-off of some other anime, just dislike kid based anime, or just rated it lowly for fun.

That, or there could be many other valid reasons.

Just wondering what people think.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Nov 25, 2014 6:18 AM
Mar 2012
Thread about MAL ratings are dumb since almost every children or family oriented show seems to be rated low compared to generic ecchi series for some reason.

Especially considering both scriptwriters who is working on this series worked on Space Dandy, both of them wrote almost half of it (12 episodes) and one of them, Kimiko Ueno, wrote the episodes which seems to be accepted to be the better episodes of the series by most people who watched it. I'm not sure why this series is rated much lower than it.

I would say this series is underrated for now although it could change depending how the story progresses and how this series ended.
Nov 25, 2014 11:01 AM
Nov 2014
Kids shows just tend to be hit or miss for most people, I guess.

Honestly, I think this show is surprisingly charming with its characters, humor, art style, music, and pretty much everything about it. But while I can definitely see the appeal, I can also see why people would dislike it. It's episodic, admittedly cheesy, and simply lacks the budget to win people over with outstanding animation or something along those lines.

I'm not surprised that it's not particularly popular and that many people probably won't bother giving a kids show a try in the first place. Though it's definitely a shame, and I'd also consider it an underrated show for now.
Nov 26, 2014 6:44 AM
Mar 2014
melina_putri said:
Thread about MAL ratings are dumb since almost every children or family oriented show seems to be rated low compared to generic ecchi series for some reason.

Especially considering both scriptwriters who is working on this series worked on Space Dandy, both of them wrote almost half of it (12 episodes) and one of them, Kimiko Ueno, wrote the episodes which seems to be accepted to be the better episodes of the series by most people who watched it. I'm not sure why this series is rated much lower than it.

I would say this series is underrated for now although it could change depending how the story progresses and how this series ended.

wait i didn't know about the space dandy thing
holy crap, no wonder it's above average

i really like this show. most refreshing thing i've seen in a while. don't be too surprised, though; mal users tend to like harem shows, bad action, and melodrama more than anything
vegetablespiritNov 26, 2014 6:52 AM
Nov 26, 2014 6:49 AM
Mar 2011
anime prime time show on mal is hated fact its does not have to be a Kadomomuke prime time anime ot be hated
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 28, 2014 6:01 PM

Jul 2014
I don't know if some of you has seen the one first topics but, when some people were 'discussing' about it, some said that they weren't gonna watch because it was a kid's show..
Well.. it doesn't look like a kid's show to me, blood, knives, lazers, death..
This anime is definitly #1 for me right now, it just deserves a higher rating!
Nov 29, 2014 1:26 PM

Dec 2011
XleamoriX said:
I don't know if some of you has seen the one first topics but, when some people were 'discussing' about it, some said that they weren't gonna watch because it was a kid's show..

People not watching a show does not influence the ratings, unless the people who don't watch it are disproportionately the same people as rate everything stupidly highly.

I'm one of the people dragging down the score on this thing. I don't really get much of an urge to watch it, which is always a sign of a series being a relatively weak one as far as I'm concerned, even if I enjoy it when I do. The fact that I'm still watching it despite never really feeling much like it shows that it isn't bad, though, and my ratings are such that I rate about 80% of the stuff I watch below MAL's score for it.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 30, 2014 5:10 AM
Mar 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:

People not watching a show does not influence the ratings, unless the people who don't watch it are disproportionately the same people as rate everything stupidly highly.

I'm one of the people dragging down the score on this thing. I don't really get much of an urge to watch it, which is always a sign of a series being a relatively weak one as far as I'm concerned, even if I enjoy it when I do. The fact that I'm still watching it despite never really feeling much like it shows that it isn't bad, though, and my ratings are such that I rate about 80% of the stuff I watch below MAL's score for it.

5 isn't really a low rating, so i don't know. i can see where you're coming from, though.
Dec 1, 2014 8:09 AM

Jul 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:
XleamoriX said:

I know what you mean, i always try to watch every anime that i've ever started ( and never dropped one, mission succes! xD ).. People should also do that, just watch the anime untill the end, in the begin is it maybe only fillers or it's just going a little bit slow or it changes from a total gag into action ( a.k.a Katekyo Hitman Reborn ), so i hope that more people are gonna consider to watch it and see later what they think of it ( not only Kaitou Joker, but the most anime's ;D )
Dec 4, 2014 8:01 AM

Mar 2014
The rating will go up whenever the season ends, just because of the way MAL averages the ratings for shows. People who only watched one or two episodes get dropped from the average score calculation after the season (right now every vote is being counted), and people like me who are enjoying the show but don't like to rate a series until it's completely over will also start to add in our ratings too. Right now you have 1800 people with this show on their watching/hold/dropped lists, and less than a third of them (around 550) have given it a rating at this point - probably a lot of those coming from the people who already dropped it - so there's plenty of room for growth.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaitou Joker ultimately ends up somewhere in the 6.8 to 7.1 range after the season ends, which I think is very reasonable. It's a classic 6/7 rating show to me - it's perfectly good entertainment and it's fun to watch every week, but it's not something where I feel any need to own the DVDs and watch it over and over again (not that it's ever going to get a DVD release in North America anyway, given its low viewership).
Dec 4, 2014 8:03 AM

Jan 2013
Or people just simply dont like it.
I havent seen it myself, but it doesnt have to do anything with what you mentioned.
Dec 4, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream has over a 7.80 and is clearly a show aimed at little girls.. Honestly, I feel people do look at kid anime as automatically inferior to ones not aimed at little kids, but this show is nothing amazing and that's coming from a guy who has watched G rated anime. Its not bad, but its not really all that good. Plus, ratings on MAL mean nothing and don't reflect how good or bad a show is. Aria the Origination has a 8.69 currently even though almost everyone across the internet states it blows Clannad out of the water. Then you have lower rated anime which are better than anime rated higher on here.

Just don't take the ratings seriously here. People rate an anime a 1 - 3 if they don't like it and then you have people rate anime 9 - 10 if they like it. There's no balance and no accurate ratings here.
Dec 5, 2014 3:26 PM
Mar 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream has over a 7.80 and is clearly a show aimed at little girls.. Honestly, I feel people do look at kid anime as automatically inferior to ones not aimed at little kids, but this show is nothing amazing and that's coming from a guy who has watched G rated anime. Its not bad, but its not really all that good. Plus, ratings on MAL mean nothing and don't reflect how good or bad a show is. Aria the Origination has a 8.69 currently even though almost everyone across the internet states it blows Clannad out of the water. Then you have lower rated anime which are better than anime rated higher on here.

Just don't take the ratings seriously here. People rate an anime a 1 - 3 if they don't like it and then you have people rate anime 9 - 10 if they like it. There's no balance and no accurate ratings here.

Agreed with all of your points. It's probably the second most enjoyable thing I'm watching, but it's really not too rich in terms of content. The whole rating thing is sadly especially true as well.
Dec 6, 2014 2:35 AM

Jan 2014
It's not the best thing I've ever watched yet not the worst
I gave it 6/10 :)
Dec 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Feb 2014
When the show pops up in my bookmark list I get disappointed, and I usually don't feel like watching it. When I do watch it it's mildly entertaining, but I would never want to watch 2 episodes in a row. For me the show is just good enough that I don't drop it, so it's not bad. However I really don't feel like giving it anything above 5. So for me at least 6.26 sounds rather high for this show.

I'd say most people rate based on their enjoyment, not how objectively good something is. So even if it's a really good kids show it's not necessarily entertaining for adults (ofc it can be, but in my case this isn't).
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Dec 15, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2014
Besides that, the votes for Kaitou Joker only counts in Japan..
So if the people don't like it, then that's their own opinion, but hey, don't go watch like 2 episodes and then say; ''How stupid is this show, i'll give it a 2, pfftt.. i don't care it's just for kids''.. <-- Sort of like that..
Well.. it's only the beginning, it'll get maybe even better.. Atleast let's hope so.. :)
Nov 29, 2020 10:40 PM
Sep 2020
XleamoriX said:
Well.. it doesn't look like a kid's show to me, blood, knives, lazers, death..
This anime is definitly #1 for me right now, it just deserves a higher rating!
I agreed with you. It should be a higher rating. I think Kaitou Joker must be in top anime
Nov 29, 2020 10:43 PM
Sep 2020
Its a fun show!!!! Why people don't see it!!!! I love this show. It should be a higher rating
Nov 30, 2020 9:59 PM
Sep 2020
Kaitou Joker is the best anime I've watched. Kids and adults can enjoy and watch this show. Its high quality, bright and pretty design and character. This storyline is so fun. I love this show! I give 100%!
Dec 2, 2020 11:21 PM
Sep 2020
Kaitou Joker is creative, unique and funny anime I've watched!!!!!!

More topics from this board

» Kaitou Joker Characters and their nationalities

Ayako_Rose - Sep 11, 2021

0 by Ayako_Rose »»
Sep 11, 2021 12:15 PM

» Visual &amp; Character Designs

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2014

4 by Ayako_Rose »»
Nov 30, 2020 9:55 PM

» Kaito Joker

LadyMal - Aug 4, 2019

5 by Ayako_Rose »»
Nov 29, 2020 10:00 PM

Poll: » Kaitou Joker Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2014

8 by Ayako_Rose »»
Nov 28, 2020 8:25 PM

Poll: » Kaitou Joker Episode 2 Discussion

UndeadSoul - Oct 13, 2014

13 by Ayako_Rose »»
Nov 28, 2020 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.