Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2014 5:40 PM
Nov 2014
I'm currently writing a horror novel, but I don't know where I should get it published if I finish. I'm done with my first chapter but I feel it's too short. How long should chapters need to be? I would need someone to proof read for me as well.

Update: I'm actually turning it into a screenplay now.
iseeu46Nov 21, 2014 1:14 PM
Nov 18, 2014 7:00 PM

Aug 2014
The beauty of writing is that the only person who decides the length of it is you. It really depends on what your going for. Worry about writing it before you worry about publishing it.
Nov 18, 2014 7:02 PM

Aug 2014
Gotsupermilk said:
The beauty of writing is that the only person who decides the length of it is you. It really depends on what your going for. Worry about writing it before you worry about publishing it.

This
Nov 18, 2014 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
Typically 3k - 6k words per chapter works well for a novel, actually.
Nov 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
Typically 3k - 6k words per chapter works well for a novel, actually.

The chapters of the novel I wrote also fits in that length. But as said, you should go with the length you feel comfortable with.

As how to publish it... I wish I knew. I feel that even if you are very talented, you need to have the right connections or a good dose of luck on your side.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Nov 20, 2014 3:41 AM

Apr 2013
You can publish novels chapter by chapter in England?
Nov 21, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2013
iseeu46 said:
I would need someone to proof read for me as well.

If you need help with proof reading I'm available, just message me
Signature removed. Bro, can you please follow the signature rules? How many times do I have to tell you, 300kb MAX. You know we don't have the server space for your giant ass gifs. Site & Forum Guidelines (read them dumbass).
Nov 22, 2014 4:49 PM

Aug 2012
Oh yeah, great timing actually. Thing is, I kinda found this publishing option completely by accident and outta desperation but uh... It's a pretty good way to go, if you're up for it.

Ever heard of CreateSpace? It's this self-publishing unit owned by Amazon where there are no upfront costs whatsoever, but they do have additional optional services for you to choose from if need be. I can provide you with more details if you'd like, but basically choose that if you wanna go indie. Maybe later on you can go down the trad. way once your writing profile becomes established.

As for how long chapters should be, well, the rest have already covered that, but since you're writing a horror novel, depending on what your chapter focuses on, i.e. whether they're revelatory or setting the tone and atmosphere, should be either shorter or longer, well, in my opinion anyway.

Proofreading... Hmm... I don't know if anybody else has done that already for you but uhm, yeah, I could. Not this month though, but next month absolutely as I'm gonna go all out.

Wait, a screenplay? Oh, that was, quick...
Nov 22, 2014 6:00 PM
Nov 2014
NishizawaMihashi said:
Oh yeah, great timing actually. Thing is, I kinda found this publishing option completely by accident and outta desperation but uh... It's a pretty good way to go, if you're up for it.

Ever heard of CreateSpace? It's this self-publishing unit owned by Amazon where there are no upfront costs whatsoever, but they do have additional optional services for you to choose from if need be. I can provide you with more details if you'd like, but basically choose that if you wanna go indie. Maybe later on you can go down the trad. way once your writing profile becomes established.

As for how long chapters should be, well, the rest have already covered that, but since you're writing a horror novel, depending on what your chapter focuses on, i.e. whether they're revelatory or setting the tone and atmosphere, should be either shorter or longer, well, in my opinion anyway.

Proofreading... Hmm... I don't know if anybody else has done that already for you but uhm, yeah, I could. Not this month though, but next month absolutely as I'm gonna go all out.

Wait, a screenplay? Oh, that was, quick...
Yea I briefly changed my mind and am thinking about turning it into a screenplay.
Nov 22, 2014 7:18 PM

May 2013
make it a novel! you can always turn a novel into a screenplay later...

as for chapter length, just go for a healthy size, make sure you're telling the whole story and then some. you could always just blaze through the whole story and not worry about length, then go back and flesh it out, if you think you'll have the patience to do that.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 22, 2014 7:19 PM

May 2013
by the way, what is it about? ;3
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

More topics from this board

» Aspiring Writer Looking for Feedback

YungStairwell - Yesterday

0 by YungStairwell »»
Yesterday, 10:38 PM

» Violin repertoire progression 1 month

ToastWithNutella - May 6

2 by Alriven »»
Yesterday, 10:23 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

371 by Just_Augos »»
Yesterday, 10:02 PM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

5 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 7:38 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

20 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.