Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2014 3:42 PM

Jan 2012
Is this worth reading? I heard that it starts off really good but after a certain point it goes downhill. If it does go downhill, how does it go downhill?
Nov 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Not quite, well, I mean, it's a little complicated.
People complaining are those that have read 200 chapters of "no plot", and then they where presented with the best arc of the series, and then when the arc ended they started complaining about how there was no plot, and there was no XX character in there...

What you must have in mind is that this is a gag manga, so it's purely for comedy, each chapter showing bits of the life of each character, and then, there's a plot, sometimes a bigger plot, other times a smaller one.

I mostly read the manga because I love the characters, I love the comedy and I love the trolling that the mangaka does with his manga.

So you should pick it up if you want some comedy and funny characters.
Nov 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
Ohh I see. I'm already used to manga like that (Gintama) so this should be right up my alley.
Nov 11, 2014 11:53 PM

Feb 2010
Silver4000 raised a lot of points that I agree mostly with. However, I would like to point out that a decline does indeed exist, at least in my opinion. After the "best arc" of the series, Hayate returned to its normal pace and continued to be the same quality as it was before.

A lot of lack of story complaints did arise and when a new story arc began, it was rather subpar from the comedy to the story, to the characters themselves. It has recently begun to bring itself back up to quality, but only time will tell if it maintains this quality.

I have a lot of respect for the Hayate series, so I'll stick with it no matter what, but Hayate did decline and lose a lot of its luster after a certain point. Hopefully it continues to get better as the last few chapters have been.
Nov 11, 2014 11:56 PM

Jan 2013
HAREM
Nov 12, 2014 2:58 AM

Jan 2013
bluewind43 said:
Silver4000 raised a lot of points that I agree mostly with. However, I would like to point out that a decline does indeed exist, at least in my opinion. After the "best arc" of the series, Hayate returned to its normal pace and continued to be the same quality as it was before.

A lot of lack of story complaints did arise and when a new story arc began, it was rather subpar from the comedy to the story, to the characters themselves. It has recently begun to bring itself back up to quality, but only time will tell if it maintains this quality.

I have a lot of respect for the Hayate series, so I'll stick with it no matter what, but Hayate did decline and lose a lot of its luster after a certain point. Hopefully it continues to get better as the last few chapters have been.

Yes, they dragged on a little with the doujin arc.
But still, I praise him for giving screen time for the secondary characters at each 2 story chapters.
Nov 12, 2014 1:48 PM

Sep 2011
I'm just here for a few laughs. Until it gets boring or ended, I'm still going to read it.
Nov 14, 2014 2:08 AM

Oct 2008
MiserysChild said:
Ohh I see. I'm already used to manga like that (Gintama) so this should be right up my alley.

I've heard those are very similar titles, the biggest difference being the character cast types - Hayate is a harem, while Gintama has more balanced line up (or so I heard). Other than that +1 to Silver4000 and bluewind43, that's a very accurate description of the series. I would maybe add one thing - despite the randomness and that "one best arc" there is an overarching plot throughout all those chapters that is the icing on the cake.
Nov 14, 2014 2:20 AM

Jan 2013
I dropped it after the Athena arc.
It started well but then dragged on and on and on.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 26, 2014 10:04 AM

Feb 2014
I agree as well with Silver4000, I started reading this manga because of the humor, the randomness, and the lack of plot and it is now still was it is as when I started reading it the first time. The Athena arc is no doubt very good, but personally I find it to be rather out of place.

Regarding the downhill comment, in gag manga like this one it is rather difficult to say due to one's personal sense of humor, but personally I find the humor has been rather consistent throughout.
Nov 26, 2014 12:11 PM

May 2011
it has high points (especially the athena arc, damn that arc was so fucking good) and low points, but i like to keep coming back to it. Currently rereading (at the 300s atm), it was ALOT less frustrating reading it all at once than waiting weekly
Dec 14, 2014 8:21 AM
Mar 2013
I personally find it just as good as when I first started reading it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 517 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2016

6 by TheLostLight »»
Feb 15, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 569 Discussion

Icedout15 - Apr 5, 2018

3 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 5:35 PM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 568 (Final Chapter) Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishkoten - Apr 9, 2017

77 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 567 Discussion

Ishkoten - Apr 6, 2017

8 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 566 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2017

2 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 3:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.