Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2014 2:21 AM

Feb 2014
Since we finally witness the end of a major villain, I think it's time to disuss his motives, story arc, and dynamics.
Was he your favorite villain, least favorite, or somewhere in-between?

Please state why as well :)
Jul 31, 2014 2:39 AM

Mar 2014
I'm rather indifferent about his character as a whole. His motives for being an antagonist were understandable, but I feel Kishimoto somehow botched it up with the execution of these latest couple of twists (introducing new villains, uncovering past history etc...) to the extent that he has somehow lost most of his complexity and depth while being overshadowed by the likes of Madara and Kaguya.

Plus I don't like the fact that he appears to still have the mindset of a child with the way he wants everyone to end up in his 'pure happiness no jutsu' just because of a lost loved one. Both Madara and Kaguya have had more convoluted and conceivable reasons for being the way they are.

I must admit though, his death and the last couple of words he had to say to Naruto really reintroduced the dynamic nature his character had before the big reveal of him being Obito, so I'm quite content with his end at least. Kishimoto wrapped Obito's characterization up in an excellent manner, if nothing else. Using the fact that he, much like Nagato, is a direct parallel to Naruto's character in many aspects was very smart and made his reasons for doing everything seem all the more justified.
Jul 31, 2014 2:53 AM

Mar 2014
He was not my favorite villain, I would say somewhere in between. However I loved his character; when he wore the mask, there was this whole mystery about him. His abilities were great too.
After his revelation, I liked Obito even more. I believe he is one of Naruto's most developed characters. His motives were completely justified, but he was manipulated due to his purity.
I sympathized with him throughout the whole series and I was really sad that he died believing he was a failure, even though he really made some wrong decisions.
Jul 31, 2014 4:44 AM

Oct 2013
I used to like Tobi as an ideal, but after I found out that he did everything because of Rin, my opinion changed a little bit. I mean: the loss f a loved person is always hard, but Tobi/Obito killed also his own family. The relations doesn't really fit together.
Jul 31, 2014 6:52 AM

Mar 2014
pure hatred.. seriously he deserve better death then this.. LOL

Jul 31, 2014 7:28 AM

Mar 2014
Tobi=cool
Obito=bad villain
Jul 31, 2014 7:54 AM

Dec 2012
Hisoka_Judal said:

Obito=bad villain

He is not a villain tho.
Jul 31, 2014 6:50 PM

Feb 2014
There is no need to hide it though, i hate him.

This is the kind of evil that so childish, Even most of Digimon or Pokemon antagonist still better than him.

To make it simple, lost your childhood crush = destroy the world. That's so ridiculous.
Jul 31, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
Flashoftheback said:

This is the kind of evil that so childish, Even most of Digimon or Pokemon antagonist still better than him.

To make it simple, lost your childhood crush = destroy the world. That's so ridiculous.

But that's literally not what happened, you are forgetting important details in between. And it's love not crush, and twisted peace and not destruction of the world.
Jul 31, 2014 8:10 PM

Feb 2014
tsudecimo said:
Flashoftheback said:

But that's literally not what happened, you are forgetting important details in between. And it's love not crush, and twisted peace and not destruction of the world.

That just play on words, though. Literally means he should just can Mugen Tsukuyomi himself and live in his own fanfiction rather than forced everyone into it too, thus it's world destruction.
Jul 31, 2014 8:16 PM

Dec 2012
Ehh, they are not play on words if they mean complete different things. There is difference between the world getting destroyed, and between everyone being inside the IT. And love and crush and not the same thing.

You just proved yourself wrong without my help. If his ambitions and motivation were only Rin, he would have casted the genjutsu on himself alone.
Jul 31, 2014 8:31 PM

Feb 2014
Nah, it means destroying the world if all things becomes non-existence inside genjutsu like nothing else matters anymore. You just considering destroying the world as something like "earth vanished" or something. While the world here actually means everything in it.

It's a crush no matter how i see it. --
Jul 31, 2014 8:52 PM

Dec 2012
It doesn't matter what you see it. It's was depicted as love, and it meant as such for Obito.

You wouldn't call your crush ''the only light in my life''.

ffs
Aug 1, 2014 12:48 AM

Apr 2013
honestly naruto villians drive me crazy. they are nothing but a bunch of cowards.

wah life is too hard...i dont wanna accept this reality anymore...lets escape into an eternal dream world where everything is perfect.

seams like this whole thing could of been avoided if madara was buddhist.

Kaguya is the only villain i actually like, despite the fact that she pretty much came from nowhere.

oh back to tobi though...i kinda feel sorry for him but he is still a coward.
granted he did the right thing in the end so that gets him some bonus points.

also i did like tobi before he became the main villain. when he was calling deidara senpai. he cracked me up, and back then i never though for a second that he would become one of the main villains.

*edit* oh i did like orochimaru though so i cant say i dislike all naruto villians.
just nagato, obito, and madara.
astrozombie84Aug 1, 2014 1:11 AM
Aug 1, 2014 12:54 AM

Dec 2013
Flashoftheback said:

made my day
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 1, 2014 1:09 AM

Feb 2014
I don't get when people say his actions where justified.
His actions are the most disproportionate, jarringly-phased I've ever seen. Let's forget for a second the fact that he did it for a crush, he went from this really nice kid to evil in...seconds.
That doesn't show contrast with how Naruto deals with stuff... It just makes it less coherent.
Obito went this path while naruto didnt only because the plot said so.

The argument that he's delusional gets destroyed by his being Talk no Jutsu'd.
It sucks to see that his villainy was catalysed by a crush and his rise was carslysed by... Neji's shocl valued death.
Aug 1, 2014 1:49 AM

Oct 2013
I am kinda indifferent to Obito. Liked him when he was Tobi. After learning his motivations he seemed really childish to me and it made zero sense to me for him to chabge his mind because I always thought he was delusional but we are talking about Naruto here, lately nothing makes much sense so why not, right?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Aug 1, 2014 2:25 AM

May 2013
TonyTonyStark said:
I don't get when people say his actions where justified.
His actions are the most disproportionate, jarringly-phased I've ever seen. Let's forget for a second the fact that he did it for a crush, he went from this really nice kid to evil in...seconds.
That doesn't show contrast with how Naruto deals with stuff... It just makes it less coherent.
Obito went this path while naruto didnt only because the plot said so.

The argument that he's delusional gets destroyed by his being Talk no Jutsu'd.
It sucks to see that his villainy was catalysed by a crush and his rise was carslysed by... Neji's shocl valued death.

This.

It was war and they were soldiers, he himself almost died yet he couldn't accept the death of his crush. He betrayed his family/clan, his village, caused the death of his sense and his wifei and wanted to put the world in a dream lala-land because of Rin.

I hate his character and until this day I don't understand how anybody can like him.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Aug 2, 2014 4:32 PM

May 2010
This is before he was Obito right? That's why you didn't call this thread "Rate the villian: Obito". In that case, I love him!!! His mysterious powers are far more interesting than what we have now.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Jun 2013
Before the mask was removed, he was great. Interesting, mysterious, you name it. After his mask was removed, we got main villain who started a war because his childhood crush died, then went 180 on himself because Naruto used Talk no Jutsu. Right now, I really hate him.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Aug 3, 2014 11:21 AM

Nov 2013
Tobi = 4/5

Obito = -5/5
Aug 4, 2014 2:39 PM
Apr 2012
Tobi was awesome! Obito is the worst!
Aug 6, 2014 1:23 AM

Aug 2012
Tobi was cool but obito is just no.
Aug 6, 2014 1:24 AM
Jun 2014
Tobi was awesome, the mystique and aura he created was phenomenal.

That was thrown all out the window when the mask came off.
Aug 6, 2014 4:11 AM

Jan 2013
Man_of_Sin said:
Tobi = 4/5

Obito = -5/5
A piece of my brain just shot out of my weiner!- Onodera Punpun
Aug 6, 2014 7:51 AM

Feb 2014
What i am still wondering about is : how can the emo guy like Obito act all funny like Tobi??? Totally out of character, isn't???
Aug 7, 2014 7:15 PM
Jul 2013
tobi = 5/5

obito = 5/5

and he's story is behind the whole plot of the series i mean thats gotta be deserving right
Aug 7, 2014 7:17 PM

Dec 2013
kramXD said:
tobi = 5/5

obito = 5/5

and he's story is behind the whole plot of the series i mean thats gotta be deserving right
Actually, Madara was the one that caused all this, he manipulated Obito remember?
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 7, 2014 9:05 PM

May 2010
Flashoftheback said:

Didn't read did you? This is TOBI, before he was OBITO.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 7, 2014 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
Flashoftheback said:
What i am still wondering about is : how can the emo guy like Obito act all funny like Tobi??? Totally out of character, isn't???
He was imitating spiral zetsu.
Aug 8, 2014 11:27 AM

Feb 2014
Confucius said:
Flashoftheback said:

Didn't read did you? This is TOBI, before he was OBITO.

And THAT'S i am confused with.

The fact is, "Obito is an EMO guy who just complained about everything in this world and his glum face" is his real face.

Tobi = Obito

How can Obito pull out that "Tobi's" cheerful act like he is the most happy person or at least a "Joker" class(which is not)??? Totally out of character.

Imagine "emo" Sasuke wearing Tobi mask and act like the cheerful Tobi. Not gonna work
Aug 8, 2014 12:31 PM

May 2012
Tobi is just Obito using the persona of Madara and Zetsu...
Aug 9, 2014 5:33 PM

Feb 2014
I obviously meant obito, I posted this after he died...
LOL died.

I wrote Tobi since not everyone is caught up and it could be a favor spoiler.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 342 Discussion

kittykun2011 - Nov 8, 2008

5 by Chfenj_ »»
Apr 13, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 244 Discussion

Thystrix - Mar 20, 2016

6 by Chfenj_ »»
Mar 30, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 649 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blaine - Oct 2, 2013

74 by actuallytom »»
Mar 29, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 97 Discussion

jeanfarias - Aug 7, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 13, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Naruto Chapter 87 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jul 4, 2012

5 by MissDoublefinger »»
Mar 12, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.