Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2014 1:53 AM

Apr 2014
Admin Edit: I'm just going to go ahead and turn this into an official thread, since it's been brought up in the past by a few people and we don't need a whole new thread every time someone wants a recommendation.

Be sure to be clear on what you're asking for and to specify if you want Manga, Anime or both. Those of you recommending, be cautious of spoilers. For example, if someone ask for a story where everyone dies at the end, use a spoiler tag for your recommendations. Don't just come in here and say

"Definitely read Girl Friends!"

(that's an example, Girl Friends does not really end that way)

w7n said:
So basically, I'm looking for an anime/manga which satisfies:
--A slice of life with yuri as its central element(e.g. Sakura Trick), or not a central element but almost the only kind of relationship shown in the story(e.g. Yuru Yuri). If yuri is only an undertone, there had better be much of it.
--Moe is okay, but it doesn't really matter. Don't have the characters drawn badly and it's fine.
--The major aspect I want is comedy. Which is why I enjoy Yuru Yuri a lot.
--The characters should not do too many silly things like elementary school students do. (e.g. Kin'iro Mosaic, although I still like it) Nor should they be way too perverted(e.g. Inugami-san, and Sakura Trick at times)

Anime first, manga second. I'm not really used to reading manga.

The anime of this kind I've watched and I enjoy:
Sakura Trick, Yuru Yuri, Sasameki Koto, Kin'iro Mosaic, Non Non Biyori, Candy Boy

Thanks for taking the time reading.
w7nJun 29, 2017 10:12 PM
All hail Great Firewall of China.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 20, 2014 10:14 PM

Apr 2013
Does Yuyushiki have enough undertones? and do they do too many silly things? ( i haven't watched kiniro mosaic so i wouldn't know how to compare)

GO! GO! 575 absolutely lacks plot like at all, but its only 3 min an ep and only 4 ep and quoting someone else "the yuri is there"
So it wouldn't really take up any of your time to check it out :D

Love Lab definitely is a go! for the comedy
hmm but how should i put this, its kinda a show about figuring out how to get boyfriends, but BUT the Focus is the Friendship between the girls
hmm there r a lot of "undertones" but at the same time it is defined that it will never be more than friends.
(i guess its not exactly a slice of life either, eh.. BUT it takes place in a School!? And the characters are all normal people. Its not a slice of life cause it actually has a plot i guess "the love Lab part" but once again the focus is between the girls relationships)

Comedy is important right
(so i shouldn't talk about aoi hana? Someone?)

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? (not completely sure if the comedy is enough, its there though) I think this one fits your description best but hmm its more to the moe side than comedy i think

eh i guess thats all i have for things that somewut fit your qualifications
wait well in anime that is. Oh man manga is a whole(a)nother world (for another reply later)

Well I hope I could be of help.
Welcome to MyAnimeList and the Yuri & Shoujo Ai Club :D Enjoy your stay.
(well its been two months already since you joined but welcome anyways :D )

EDIT: i see peeps replied directly to your wall already A-Channel is a good one to for your qualifications i think ..

jtyeonJun 20, 2014 10:19 PM
Jun 21, 2014 8:36 AM

Apr 2014
Thanks for all the recommendations, and I think I should explain my tastes further.
There is a trend that a lot of anime walk into: Make the characters 'Tennen' (naturally silly) and moe, and most of their jokes are not funny at all, instead they're just ways to show they're 'Tennen'. I usually find these unappealing, which is why I didn't enjoy K-ON or GochiUsa.
The same with Yuyushiki Ep01. I don't know what to expect from the later episodes. And in A-channel I see one character who should have fallen off a building already...
Well I probably would watch a few more episodes of these and see if they're good. Who knows, I ended up enjoying Kin'iro Mosaic although I didn't expect a lot from Ep01.
All hail Great Firewall of China.
Jun 21, 2014 8:48 AM

Sep 2011
w7n said:
Thanks for all the recommendations, and I think I should explain my tastes further.
There is a trend that a lot of anime walk into: Make the characters 'Tennen' (naturally silly) and moe, and most of their jokes are not funny at all, instead they're just ways to show they're 'Tennen'. I usually find these unappealing, which is why I didn't enjoy K-ON or GochiUsa.
The same with Yuyushiki Ep01. I don't know what to expect from the later episodes. And in A-channel I see one character who should have fallen off a building already...
Well I probably would watch a few more episodes of these and see if they're good. Who knows, I ended up enjoying Kin'iro Mosaic although I didn't expect a lot from Ep01.

Yuyushiki had some crazy gags, but it's just an ordinary slice of life that happens to be filled with only girls. The shoujo-ai subtext is rather weak in my opinion. I watched the show primarily for the cute OST and their jokes.

Actually, to word it better, there really isn't a lot of "real" shoujo-ai subtext and most of it is just goofing around, I guess.

There aren't a lot of good SoL/comedy/not all moeblob/yuri/shoujo-ai shows out there, really. Your best bet is to dig for manga, especially doujin, since there's a wide selection of them out there. I'd recommend reading something like Majou to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane or something. Comedy + overtones (screw undertones).
Jan 22, 2016 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Bump

bluedragon777 said:
Could you please help out one of your fellow members who has totally fallen out of the loop? I was wondering on what yuri anime were released in 2015(and maybe autumn of 2014).

If they have(or have had but it was removed) the yuri or shoujo ai tag on MAL, then they are enough yuri for my taste.
Movies, series or OVA...or even continuations of older series, please tell me.

Yuri Kuma Arashi, Kantai Collection, Hello Kinmoza!, Non Non Biyori Repeat, Is The Order a Rabbit? S2, Yuru Yuri S3 and three OVAs, Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku, Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid, Love Live The Movie.
Jan 22, 2016 6:01 PM

May 2014
and Symphogear GX >.>

#GayRecognition
Mar 28, 2016 4:35 PM

Sep 2015
Hi, I'd like a recommendation for just yuri/shoujo-ai anime in general that aren't slice-of-life/have external conflicts that aren't entirely driven by the yuri, but especially those that you feel have a gripping main plot and complex characters, the more flawed, the better (like Mai-HiME and Homura from Madoka Magica). I'm already planning to watch a great deal of what I expect you may recommend (Blue Drop, Noir/Madlax/El Cazador de la Bruja, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, Revolutionary Girl Utena), but don't let that discourage you, necessarily; if I read a particularly glowing recommendation that makes an anime sound enticing, I'll be more inclined to watch that anime sooner than I would have otherwise. Thanks!
Mar 23, 2017 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
Bump
Mar 23, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2015
and if the ecchi yuri guy looks in on this, or whoever, then you'll want to check out Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai next season.

From the brief PV I saw it just looks like a battle orgy with demon girls.
Apr 26, 2017 11:32 AM

Jun 2013
Bump! I'm looking for yuri/shoujo-ai manga that heavily focus on comedy -slapstick, boke and tsukkomi kind of humor. Obviously keep the drama at minimum. No undertones like Yuru Yuri, but something like Strawberry Shake Sweet (this one is gold), I Love You yori Aishiteru, and Poor Poor Lips -to an extent. Thanks!
Apr 26, 2017 5:08 PM

Feb 2010
@Impala yuri mekuru hibi
Apr 27, 2017 4:26 AM

Jun 2013
Wannabiteme said:
@Impala yuri mekuru hibi

Thanks! It's bizzare but still romantic. I like it.
Jun 2, 2017 5:23 AM

Oct 2016
Hello! I'm on a search for girl love anime to fill up my queue, preferably on Crunchyroll(If it's not, please put where I can watch it)

-I fell in love with Sakura Trick on the first episode, mostly because the Yuri was so cute I fell out of my chair

-Slices of life are pretty good for me too

-But sad shows are okay(The best shows are the ones that tap into your emotions, though they might no be the happiest ones)

-I kind of would like to see an older one since I've only ever really seen newer anime as a whole, and I'm trying to widen my horizon

THANK YOUS
Jun 3, 2017 10:48 PM

Jun 2015
Lilac_warrior said:
Hello! I'm on a search for girl love anime to fill up my queue, preferably on Crunchyroll(If it's not, please put where I can watch it)

-I fell in love with Sakura Trick on the first episode, mostly because the Yuri was so cute I fell out of my chair

-But sad shows are okay(The best shows are the ones that tap into your emotions, though they might no be the happiest ones)

-I kind of would like to see an older one since I've only ever really seen newer anime as a whole, and I'm trying to widen my horizon

THANK YOUS

Hmm it's hard to think of slice of life-y Yuri that are old; Sakura Trick is the show that made that more of a big deal by being explicitly Yuri tbh... but!

Strawberry Panic, Simoun, and Mai-HiME all come to mind as classic anime with Yuri themes. Mai-HiME is a bit sparser on the GL, but it is there and it's tagged as Shoujo-ai.

Warning: All are sad, but they do have good endings. Except SP. But that's just my salty opinion, others might disagree ;P
Jun 13, 2017 2:50 PM

Sep 2015
Lilac_warrior said:

THANK YOUS

I also recommend Mai-HiME (2004-2005). It's not absolutely loaded with yuri, but the yuri that is there is spectacular. It's the single anime that got me into yuri. It's also got some broad similarities to Madoka Magica, which I see is in your favorites, so I think you might like it.

Another older yuri anime (2004) is Kannazuki no Miko. This one has its fair share of critics, and for good reason, but I can't deny that I was almost in tears at the end. It's a melodrama, but a compelling one, at least for me.

One of my personal favorites is Noir (2001). This is a slow, melancholic, atmospheric anime about a pair of elite assassins. The yuri isn't super in your face, but the relationship between the two main characters develops wonderfully, and I think the anime itself is criminally underrated.

And of course, we have the anime every yuri fan should see, Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997). Really, this is one of the essentials for yuri fans. It's a highly symbolic and allegorical anime that will confuse anyone who's watching it for the first time. You may love it, you may drop it, or you may not know quite how to feel about it, but you should definitely give it a try.
Jun 15, 2017 12:34 AM

Sep 2015
Well, I made a post on this thread a over a year ago, but no one ever gave me any recommendations, so I'll make another post but I'll be a little less specific with my requirements this time: I'd like recommendations for literally ANY yuri anime that is NOT slice of life. So that nobody has to waste any of their time looking at my anime list, I'll make a list below of all yuri anime I've already seen:

-Black Rock Shooter (series and OVA)
-Blue Drop
-El Cazador de la Bruja
-Flip Flappers
-Kannazuki no Miko
-Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
-Madlax
-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (A's/StrikerS/ViVid too)
-Madoka Magica
-Mai-HiME
-Mai-Otome
-Revolutionary Girl Utena
-Strawberry Panic
-Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito

So, if you know of any good yuri anime that is not listed above and is not slice of life, shoot me a recommendation! It would be much appreciated!
Jul 27, 2017 12:35 PM

May 2016
@ShinyKing
Here are some anime that I didn;t see on your list! Some of them might have SOL scenes but it's hard to find any anime that doesn't have a few of those! But a Major part of the ones I recommend have to do with the plot as well!

Battle Athletes - All the version I believe have yuri in it but if you want the whole story watch the 26 episode one, older style artwork but cannon yuri would definitely recommend based on your list!

Ga-Rei Zero - Watched it a very long time ago so I don't remember much but there are yuri scenes and even a kiss! Lots of Drama and action in this one.

Gokujo__Gokurakuin_Joshikou_Ryou_Monogatari - This might be SOL but it's very comedic and has some romance in it and cannon yuri characters (just thought I'd throw this one in since all 12 of it's episodes are 6 minutes, an easy watch)

Hidan no Aria AA - About essentially little girls acting as the police, cannon yuri and one of them even has a little loli fan club! Probably has some SOL scenes but most of these do, lots of focus on the main plot though.

Koukaku no Pandora - Cute MCs, takes place in a futuristic world where cyborgs and animitronics are the new technology. If this isn't cannon yuri this is about as close as you can get :3

Kuttsukiboshi - About a girl with magical powers, short two episode OVA, NSFW don't watch this with anyone else around the second episode especially.

Mikagura Gakuen - One of my favorite! If you like RWBY you will probably like this, MC is trying for a Yuri harem! How many times have you seen that?

Soul Eater NOT - don't have to watch the original to understand, has the same concepts and an interesting plot though. Two Girls vying for the affection of the MC what more do you need!

Valkyrie Drive - NSFW as well, lots of yuri kisses because how else would you be able to transform into weapons without some yuri love :)

Simoun - I actually dropped this but it fit's your list. Lots of draa and scifi, one of the more serious one. I would say not as deep ad Utena but just as dramatic as Strawberry panic?

Yuri Kuma Arashi - Also dropped this one but I have heard good things from those who finish it. All about bears and yuri, I have heard this is a very metaphorical anime but I cannot tell you this from experience!

If you need some more you can check out my anime list! I tag "Yuri" in anime that has a cannon couple or character and "Yuri Vibes" in anime that there could totally be chemistry between characters but it might not be cannon, as well as cannon yuri characters that aren't really the center of the show and don't get too much screen time T.T! Hope this helps you in your search :) If you have any question about a show jut send me a comment or PM I will get back to you when I can!
MissIntrovertJul 28, 2017 12:00 PM
Jul 28, 2017 4:08 AM

Mar 2015
I know the above link goes to the Hidan no Aria AA page, but I want to point out that the link just says Hidan no Aria, which is the parent show for AA. Hidan no Aria is a pretty dull harem, but AA has almost no men in it and some pretty good yuri potential.
Jul 28, 2017 5:00 AM

Feb 2010
@silverwhirlwind
Comparing Simoun to the Utena & Strawberry panic is...

Utena vs:
Simoun is deep too. In my humble opinion, Simoun is deeper. Simoun has actual, coherent story. Utena has story but it has a lot of related metaphors - calling it deep because of this is... exaggeration.
Utena is not as deep as Harmony ( https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=28211&referer=malupdater )

And yeah, YurKuma, FlipFlappers and Utena have a lot of metaphors. In my opinion, YuriKuma is the best because it has the least number of weird metaphors.

ps. Kuttsukiboshi is great... but it may trigger some folks. ;)

@ShinyKing
Kobayashi is SOL... ah, well, info for other folks.

Nanoha series is yuri, starting from 1st season. It's different than other yuri... but that makes it more enjoyable.
I wouldn't count Vivid. Not because it doesn't have yuri, but because it just cute girls fighting... bla bla bla... fanservice'y show. It's not finished too. Vivid Strike (not with "Nanoha" in the name!) showed it a lot better. It has 2 heroines fighting physically & mentally. VS won't have "big" plot like 1st/A's/Strikers but it has characters that you can root for.

Oniisama ee... is good drama (not so good ending).

ps. Opinions ^^
Jul 28, 2017 11:59 AM

May 2016
OH @Grey_106 Thanks for the notice I'll be sure to fix it, I meant to put the AA one i haven't even seen the other one :P (lol I had the right link with the wrong name >.>)

Also @Wannabiteme Like I said above I dropped it so my opinion on those ones are only from the short parts I saw before I dropped, that's just how I felt about the show! :)

Oh I also forgot to include url=https://myanimelist.net/anime/158/Maria-sama_ga_Miteru]Maria-sama ga Miteru[/url] - it's one of the few shows that made me cry somewhere in the 4th season, many good yuri moments to go around and a classic! Very similar to Strawberry Panic.
Sep 26, 2017 7:43 PM

Sep 2015
Hey guys.

I wanted to ask you experts if you can recommend me any yuri mangas that have been licensed and are finished. I want to stock up since I built a new bookshelf O.O
I already have "Girlfriends" and "Kuchibiru Tameiki Sakurairo".
What I wanna get so far is "Yagate Kimi ni Naru".

Regards
Sep 27, 2017 11:12 AM

Mar 2015
Kokosnuss_Palme said:
Hey guys.

I wanted to ask you experts if you can recommend me any yuri mangas that have been licensed and are finished. I want to stock up since I built a new bookshelf O.O
I already have "Girlfriends" and "Kuchibiru Tameiki Sakurairo".
What I wanna get so far is "Yagate Kimi ni Naru".

Regards

I'm no good at coming up with names off of the top of my head, I always forget stuff, but I can recommend some obvious ones.

Sasameki Koto (I believe it may also go by Whispered Words)
Citrus (A decisive series because of all the drama, but you can't deny the yuri)
The Kase-san series, there are quite a few with different names
Anything by Morinaga Milk (You already said Girl Friends, but anything by her is gold)

Let me just point out that there isn't a manga called "anything" I'm literally saying search for the author and any of her stories will be great stuff.
Sep 28, 2017 11:44 PM

Sep 2015
Grey_106 said:
Kokosnuss_Palme said:
Hey guys.

I wanted to ask you experts if you can....

I'm no good at coming up w.....

Well thanks Grey_106

I will definitely check Sasameki Koto out.
Citrus on the other hand is kind of weird (ch 17 so far..) The artwork is really great and I like the fact that they are publishing it in different languages, but the characters are weird, unauthentic and yeah, fuck love triangles.
When it comes to Morinaga Milk, Girlfriends was great, but every other manga I checked out had the same looking characters. Lame ^.^

Regards
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Happy Sugar Life discussion

Lilac_warrior - Mar 22, 2018

12 by LalaYuriLove »»
Apr 19, 2023 2:41 AM

» Best yuri couple of all time???

Lilac_warrior - Mar 24, 2018

22 by TanyaTheEvill »»
Feb 10, 2022 9:07 AM

» Deleting my account.

removed-user - Nov 14, 2021

1 by Sabishii-Luisana »»
Nov 14, 2021 3:47 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SuiNoByakko - Jul 17, 2014

523 by kenchin01 »»
Sep 14, 2021 1:46 AM

» Yuru Yuri ~ Holiday

EmceePinks - Oct 30, 2018

0 by EmceePinks »»
Oct 30, 2018 3:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.