Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 11, 2009 6:56 AM

Aug 2007
Well the MAL character guide says no, Sebastian doesn't care if Ciel gets hurt or not, he just cares for the contract and his fun with the game.

But why then did Sebastian hide Ciel's eyes with his hand when they saw the murdered woman in episode 5 and Ciel kind of started to flip?

Feb 1, 2010 10:28 AM
Jan 2010
I agree with your theory. I think Sebastian does care for Ciel and Ciel does care for Sebastian, and I've only seen twelve out of twnety-four episode's. There is numerous event's throughout the series that suggest some kind of compassion between them both.
Feb 6, 2010 1:33 PM
Jun 2009
Oh He Totaly Cares For Him ^.^ and Thats Not Just Wishful Thinking
VVDont Read If Haven't Seen The End
Feb 7, 2010 9:04 AM
Aug 2008
TsunaLover said:

Wow... I didn't think that was why Ciel made that offer at all. I kind of hope it isn't. I like the idea of Ciel and Sebastian having compassion of some kind for one another..
Cynical_PinkFeb 7, 2010 9:07 AM
Feb 7, 2010 10:43 AM
Jan 2009
kurichan said:
TsunaLover said:

Wow... I didn't think that was why Ciel made that offer at all. I kind of hope it isn't. I like the idea of Ciel and Sebastian having compassion of some kind for one another..

yea i thought itll be a honest reflection of life and how he wanted to never forget both his life or possibly the how Sebastian changed his life, no that itll be more tasty for sebastian.
Feb 10, 2010 8:36 AM
Jan 2010
it is definitely not about tastiness of soul ;d, Ciel wanted to feel life to the maximum before his death and personally I think of this as of filler ending, they didn't followed manga, Ciel is still alive! But anywayl anime was very well made and i wouldn't have guessed that fillers started around in mid of anime, if i didn't checked manga...
ephemeralNowFeb 10, 2010 8:39 AM
Feb 11, 2010 1:19 AM

Dec 2009
Yes, and no... its kinda in a somewhat type of way if you look at it. Sebastian loves to tease and infurate Ciel to see how he reacts, as does Ciel likes to throw a challenge to Sebastian just to see him fail. But there are hints in both anime and manga that shows the two care for each other than what we we're given. So I would say yes.. they do care for each other possibly more so than a master and butler relationship.

Most animators don't fallow the manga.. there are only two that I can think of that actually has fallowed the manga version. So really its no surprise there.

Feb 16, 2010 10:52 AM
Feb 2010
Everyone cares about what they plan to put into their mouth...
Mar 4, 2010 7:39 PM

Mar 2010
I think he cares for Ciel as much as a demon can. It won't stop him from fulfilling the contract in the end, though. :/

Mar 11, 2010 1:08 PM
Feb 2010
I am positive that they both care for one another.
I miss them so much.
Sep 7, 2010 3:28 AM

Jul 2010
I think they do..
Apr 17, 2016 1:53 PM
Apr 2016
yes, you'll noticed when ceil is waiting to 'call' Sebastian from the dungeon for being accused of selling drugs. While he's waiting the cop comes and says "heres your tea." and Ciel says "Sebastian..." and imagines him which means he misses him.
2 when ciel trys to take a picture of Sebastian he tells the gardener to throw a piler at him and when sebastian comes to save him he holds Ciel and they just keep looking then go to kiss each other till interrupted. OMG FAN GIRLING! >.<
3 When Sebastian goes to take his soul he says "I'll try to be gentle" but Ciel knew it wouldnt taste as good so says "Be as Painful as you can be" SOOOO KAWIEE >.<
Apr 17, 2016 2:32 PM

Feb 2016
I don't think they love each other and I don't see their bond as very strong on a personal level. I just feel like Sebastian is just there to do what he needs to do, but when it comes to it, he doesn't mind doing the extra work to show how dedicated he is and faithful he is. He cares for Ciel, for his health, safety and well-being. I don't think they connect emotionally though but they are both dedicated in satisfying each other.
Apr 25, 2016 3:14 AM

Nov 2012
I mostly agree with Exhalant. They do not love each other and they are not friends. I think they do care for each other tho, but to some extent.

(Long post ahead)

First of all, this is a matter of mutual gain. Ciel relies on Sebastian and the latter relies on his and his master's promisse until the very end, till he is cut loose from his leash and free to steal away his life. They have a contract and they are solely bounded by it and nothing more.

However, Ciel does show some compassion towards the demon and vise versa, at times. This is because Sebastian was the one who rescued Ciel from the hellhole he had been trapped in, in the first place. He was the one who helped him heal not only physically but psychologically as well, and for that, Ciel is grateful.

Sebastian can also be seen as this twisted father figure or role model, a guardian of sorts, whom the boy seems to look up to sometimes. Mostly because of his skills and power, that seem to strike Ciel's curiosity. Also, having lost his family, Sebastian (and the servants, Lizzie and arguably Soma and The Undertaker), were the only ones able to partially fill the void in his heart.

I believe that Sebastian did say at some point, that he took the form of a human he thought would be most fit and pleasing for the young earl, but don't quote me on that. I think that his statement, if actually correct, just shows that he has at least has a more compassionate side. Because, really, if he can turn into anything or anyone, why would he bother with his looks in the first place? And this is coming from a demon who relished insatiably on souls constantly. Why bother about his human physical appearence at all.

Now, the demon himself clearly states that humans are interesting. That much is true. They amuse him, and he is found of a particular kind (those with corrupted souls mostly, ones who are damned from the start).
So if we follow his logic, Ciel is not only his prey or meal, he is his source of entertainment.

But maybe there's more to it than we think.

At first I thought Sebastian becoming alarmed whenever something happened to his lord was just for show, that he was mainly conveying faux concern or, if not, was solely making sure that his food wouldn't "fall off his plate". But really, is that the only reason why he cares for his master's health, safety and well being?

I began to wonder, if maybe, just maybe, looking after and taking care of a human, namely a child, made Sebastian somewhat soft (mostly towards Ciel), and more aggressive, on the other hand, towards whoever dared to cross their path.
Sure the boy has a tasty soul, or so the demon said, but from the very start, back when they first met, he had found the boy quite unique, interesting, considering his age and how fragile and vulberable he was at the time. Sebastian sparked various reactions out of him often from that day forward and he has never ceased being amused.

It can also be said that he became (arguably) more emotionally driven (as seen when Ciel had his first asthma attack, he clearly showed concern and signs of panic as well, even if just for a split of a.second). Hanging out with humans either helped him create a better, stronger façade or shed some humanity into him, where once there was none. I'd like to think it's both.

All in all, at the end of the day, the butler is just doing his job, whatever needs to be done and proving his loyalty and how faithful he can be while keeping his contract in mind. He is merely doing what he was assigned to do and whatever else he does is just for extra points. Ciel would be just owing him more, anyway.

The poster above me said they don't connect emotionally and I do somewhat agree with that statement.

On one hand, they've had their own fair share of psychological experiences, enough for at least Ciel to be able to connect emotionally. He is still a child, after all. A genius, but still a kid.

On the other, their relationship is mostly formal, a bit tense at times, even. Because they both have their own underlying reasons for working together and also have to keep them secret. It's a mutual agreement. However, it doesn't go past any real levels of affection (love) or undying devotion, seeing as they were only brought together for personal selfish reasons. Like I mentioned before, they're not friends, they're in it because they can benefit from each other. But I do think they are both dedicated in satisfying one another, like the other poster said, but mainly because that's part of their agreement. In a way, thay's their job and the least they can do. For the time being.
Z0mbieB0yApr 25, 2016 4:20 AM
Jun 2, 2016 3:42 PM
Jun 2016
I think he does in a certain way. Although the whole point of Black Butler was for Sebastian to serve Ciel until the very end, that doesn't mean that Sebastian only serves Ciel for a delicious soul in return, or because he has to. At first, Sebastian was just serving Ciel as a butler, following his orders, and not minding it. He slowly began to realize how precious Ciel's soul was, and he adored bonding with him, and seeing his reactions to what his demonic mind speaks. Sebastian has this gentle spot for Ciel. Here's why: His grumpiness. - If Ciel were to get mad at Sebastian, (which is no surprise) Sebastian would sort out the situation, making sure it ends with Ciel being satisfied, knowing how he's easily triggered by minor statements or opinions that he finds insulting, or offending. After all, Sebastian understands the terrible past Ciel has had, so he has no choice but to make the boy feel comfortable with new life and acceptance. 2 - He's only a child. Although it sounds odd considering Ciel as a child while he has such an old man personality, he's still a child, and still has some actions of a child. Since Sebastian is a demon from hell, and Ciel is only just a devastated boy with an awful story, Sebastian must be aware of how violent or peaceful he is around Ciel, for how violent he can get. Fortunately, he's learned to put up with Ciel's bad mood. He's fine with it, he's easy going, and he doesn't worry about it, because he's used to it now. Now for Ciel's satisfaction, health, and safety, this is how Sebastian sees it. If Sebastian noticed something off about Ciel's attitude or facial expressions one day, it would be one of two tings. - He's either feeling more aggressive, or he's just in a calm and/or satisfied mood. Sebastian is quick to make an inference. He knows the difference between a pale/green Ciel with colorless lips, and a tan Ciel with peach lips. He'll notice it immediately. (He's about to puke) He knows the difference between a Ciel with sarcasm in his sentences, and a Ciel with a very bored expression. (He's in a good mood) Now for health, if Ciel had a stomach ache, Sebastian could tell how/how much Ciel was eating. (Was he picking at his food often, or not eating a lot? (He has no appetite) If Ciel had a headache, Sebastian could see the lack of action in Ciel's movements, as he keeps leaning his head against something soft, maybe leaning on Sebastian's lap. (He needed to rest the pounding sensation in his head on something delicate) For safety, Sebastian would only have to think once about the decent safe distance between Ciel and the roaring fire. (Ciel's far enough to not get burnt) Sebastian would make sure that boy is close by him during the raging winds of the storm outside the manor. (Make sure he's not close by water, metal, or anything that attracts lightening) Now this is how Sebastian feels about Ciel's satisfaction. One day when Ciel woke up, and he seemed oddly in a bright mood. He was smirking more often, and being sarcastic often. Sebastian would not only be glad to not have to handle his grumpiness, but it would also make him feel happy for Ciel because he's not grumpy or angry about something. He's feeling calm. For his health, let's say one day Ciel was just more quiet, and feeling warm. Sebastian checks his temperature, and it's 102°. Sebastian would be worried about this, because he's practically on his own for this, and he knows how bad the effect of a fever can rise. He'd help Ciel as much as a demon can, but he's no doctor. For his safety, let's say that there was some war or whatever against Sebastian and Claude. If Ciel was watching the battle from a not so far/safe distance, Sebastian would become concerned about him. He's not positive that Claude's going to go up and kidnap him, or Ciel's gonna end up being injured. So Sebastian being the brave and protective one, he may grab Ciel and get the hell away from Claude, or just remove him completely to a far area until he comes and gets Ciel.
AnimalJammer_TVJun 5, 2016 4:29 AM
Jun 12, 2016 8:07 PM
Apr 2016
Yes he definitely does. The author revealed that the story was originally supposed to be a hard core yaoi but the company told her to just hint at it. The author also revealed that both she and the voice actors who play ciel and Sebastian believe that they love each other and should end up together! So here hoping that that is what happens at the end!
Nov 7, 2018 10:58 AM
Oct 2018
This post is so old now, I know. But I just had to add that in a story with fantastic characters and intriguing arcs. I would be sorely disappointing to go through the whole Anime/Manga/Series to find out that Sebastian failed to grow as a character whatsoever and from start to finish is simply biding his time for his delicious meal, meanwhile learning nothing of humanity, or love, or emotions that he previously didn't think he was capable of having.

He simply does not care from start to finish, and it's just going to end int he inevitable. Done.

I personally feel like we've already been shown that compared to how they were when they made the pact, vs where they are now that they have grown to genuinely care. But I guess only time till tell. :)
Nov 8, 2020 6:05 PM
May 2019
Luffy-Taicho said:

So cute ^^ Didn't realized that!
Jun 29, 2021 12:06 PM
Dec 2017
in a strange master and serveant sense since he wants ciel's soul.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

69 by Apratim »»
Apr 22, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SlaughterChichi - Mar 26, 2009

318 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 22, 7:52 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxwellLily - Oct 30, 2008

115 by Apratim »»
Apr 21, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zeino - Mar 12, 2009

110 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 21, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Chrissi-chan- - Mar 9, 2009

107 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.