Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2014 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
I was just wondering if Evangelion is considered a harem anime.

Shinji has clear ties to 2 young women and also an adult female.

Wouldn't this constitute a harem of sorts?

Your thoughts?
Apr 11, 2014 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
its not and if people believe rei or asuka had any romantic feelings towards shinji then they drastically missed the point of those 2 characters especially asuka where the show goes out of the way to establish her clear psychological issues of dealing with loneliness.

Now the terrible spin off slice of life manga's are 100% harem

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 11, 2014 1:15 PM

Jun 2012
No, you clearly don't understand their connections and [Insert pseudo intellectual characterization here]. Most definitely not a harem, just too deep for your shallow mind to comprehend.

In harem Anime, all of the girls have to be practically begging to suck the protagonists dick, don't you know?
Apr 11, 2014 1:19 PM

Jan 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
No, you clearly don't understand their connections and [Insert pseudo intellectual characterization here]. Most definitely not a harem, just too deep for your shallow mind to comprehend.

In harem Anime, all of the girls have to be practically begging to suck the protagonists dick, don't you know?

Didn't they beg in that one gif for like 5 minutes?
Apr 11, 2014 2:03 PM

Jan 2013
Jody32 said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion has the ingredients to be a harem and in a couple of episodes can arguably turn into a harem, but no it is not essentially a harem series.

That said, the End of Evangelion movie qualifies for a really fucked up love triangle.

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word essentially.
Apr 11, 2014 5:51 PM

Jan 2013
Jody32 said:
SolviteSekai said:
Jody32 said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion has the ingredients to be a harem and in a couple of episodes can arguably turn into a harem, but no it is not essentially a harem series.

That said, the End of Evangelion movie qualifies for a really fucked up love triangle.

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word essentially.
I believe you don't know the variety of meanings associated with the word "essentially". "Essentially" does in fact fit in with the context of what I am saying.

3 girls 1 guy is a harem.
Apr 11, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2013
AnimeHonor said:
yes

harem master aproves

At least someone understands.
Apr 11, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
It's actually about father-son incest
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 11, 2014 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
DawnJ said:
It's actually about father-son incest

I could see this.
May 10, 2020 3:48 AM
Apr 2020
Well it is not a Harem series to be honest . How ? Let me show you . I will try to keep it short . (Warning : Major Spoilers)

First up , Rei . She may share some feelings for Shinji but they are solely because she is a clone of Shinji's mother and does feel a bond towards Shinji . As for Shinji , he himself said that he is attracted to Rei because she looks just like his mother . This way , it is safe to say , they do not have a romantic relationship and also should not have one .

Next up Asuka . Well , Asuka did hate losing when it came to her rivalry with Shinji . But later on we can see that she develops feelings for him . How ? Check out Episode 15 , where they kissed . Not much right ? "Just a kiss" as Asuka said . Now move on to Episode 23 , when humanity is undergoing instrumentality . Asuka herself says to her own subconcious that 'HE' does not take her seriously . "He would not even hold me while we kissed" . This can point to the fact that she in fact loved Shinji . As for Shinji , he was definitely romantically and sexually attracted to Asuka . And that is just too obvious for me to explain .

Next and the last candidate , Missato . She is clearly potrayed as a motherly character for Shinji . And at many instances she was reffered to as "Shinji's Guardian" . For example , when Shinji acted frustrated of Missato's weird and carefree behaviour at home infront of Toji and Kenosuke , they tell him that she considers him as family and that is why she shows a side of her to him which she won't to anyone else . And now you must be asking why did she kiss Shinji and offer him sex in End of Evangelion then ? Well , that was to persuade Shinji to pilot Eva Unit 01 and fight SEELE and save NERV . Then again , many people would ask what about that time when she offered to let Shinji have sex with her back in their apartment . That was because she thought this would cheer up Shinji and help him overcome the harsh feelings he was experiencing . Why did she have to offer sex you ask ? You see , Missato did have a mother and hated her father until when he saved her during the Third impact and gave his own life . She never had parental guidance and she is still very immature , as you can see throughout the show . She herself never knew what made her happy . And inspite that s he wanted to help Shinji feel better . So what she did was what she thought would be right to help Shinji . But you see , she still is not enough experienced with life as stated by Ritsuko multiple times .

I hope this makes it clear why Evangelion may seem like one but is not a Harem series . Sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors . Thankyou .
Jul 1, 2020 6:30 PM
Jun 2020
JizzyHitler said:
its not and if people believe rei or asuka had any romantic feelings towards shinji then they drastically missed the point of those 2 characters especially asuka where the show goes out of the way to establish her clear psychological issues of dealing with loneliness.

Now the terrible spin off slice of life manga's are 100% harem

asuka and shinji do have feeling for each other I mean it is obvious that asuka has feelings for him but she is so emotionally stunted that she is bad at expressing it towards shinji.

shinji has feelings for asuka as well but he is also stunted emotionally and doesn't know how to express it I mean look at the beginning of end of evangelion
Jul 5, 2020 11:39 AM

Sep 2017
Evangelion is the ultimate harem! (spoilers below):

1) Shinji falls down on his naked, pseudo-mother.

2) Develops a love interest for his foster mother.

3) Takes a shower with the androgynous, 'left hand of God.'

4) Engages in S&M with Asuka.

5) And wanks to a POV of Asuka.

Artistic brilliance.
Jul 7, 2020 12:47 AM

Oct 2012
waht in the world.
Nov 3, 2020 4:19 PM
Jul 2020
I love Evangelion, but man, would it have been interesting if this was a harem, lol.
Jan 17, 2021 8:35 PM

Aug 2020
🤦‍♂️Haaa...Now i feel like you're just trolling now... denying sound arguments and agreeing with stupid ones, just grow up.
Jun 1, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2020
No. The females in this anime don't respect Shinji on a psychological level.
cupcake847Jun 1, 2021 2:51 PM
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Jun 3, 2021 6:31 PM
Dec 2017
just cause theres romance elmeents in it doesn't make it a harem immediatly.

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.