Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 20, 2012 8:39 PM
May 2012
>TOPIC<

Can anyone tell me? And why is it the 1999 version is being graded higher score?
If I haven't seen both the 2011 and the 1999 version, which one would you recommend me more?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 20, 2012 10:08 PM

Nov 2011
You could watch both, but right now I would recommend the 2011 series. The 1999 series ended prematurely.
May 20, 2012 11:05 PM

Oct 2011
Oh man, this topic will turn into a flame war. I would suggest you watch both to avoid stereotyping because both are excellent and you won't get an honest, unbiased opinion out of here since every single time these two are brought up in the same sentence all hell breaks loose.
May 20, 2012 11:25 PM

May 2011
Well, 2011 has the best adaptation so far but if you enjoy the series, I don't think you will manage to keep from watching the entire 1999 series first... xD
May 21, 2012 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
out of the 3 arcs that have been animated in the 2011 version i believe 2/3 of them have been done better in the 2011 version.
The hunter exam (the first arc) was done better in the original.

of course this is just my opinion on what i've seen so far.
May 21, 2012 5:06 AM

Aug 2009
I recommend you start with the remake because from my point of view, thus far, it outclasses the older adaptation in every aspect.
May 21, 2012 5:40 AM
Feb 2012
faptastic_camel said:
out of the 3 arcs that have been animated in the 2011 version i believe 2/3 of them have been done better in the 2011 version.
The hunter exam (the first arc) was done better in the original.
of course this is just my opinion on what i've seen so far.

I hold the same opinion too. I think 1999 did the first arc (hunter exam) better, while 2011 did the second arc better. I will reserve my judgment for the third arc until the 2011 version finish adapting it.

But the 2011 version has only adapted half of what the 1999 version got up to so far, so if you are the kind that can't wait week by week, you have to switch back to the 1999 version at some point.

If I had to reccomend it, I would say watch the first two episodes of the 2011 version (which condenses the the first 5 boring, not very good introductory episodes of the 1999 version ), and then continue on with ep 6 of the 1999 version where the good stuffs kicks in.
May 21, 2012 5:50 AM
May 2012
If you like watching fillers, go with the 1999 version. If you do not, go with 2011 ver.

If you also like to see conventional characters (idiot/innocent "hero" and emo/badass/poker-faced/pervert "lancer"), see the 1999 version. If you want to see nonconventional characters, go with the 2011 version.

- added -

If you like those directors who take the plot of the story but told the story in HIS own way (also known as fanfic), then go with the 1999 version. If you want to see an adaptation as close as to what the original author intended, then go with the 2011 version.
fanimangaMay 21, 2012 4:06 PM
May 21, 2012 9:42 AM

May 2012
2011 is closer to the manga and it most likely will go further than the 1999 manga. Makes more sense to see watch the remake. Plus it's a lot faster.
May 21, 2012 10:13 AM

Sep 2010
fanimanga said:
If you like watching fillers, go with the 1999 version. If you do not, go with 2011 ver.

This is very misleading, particularly because of the unwarranted hate fillers get and how overused the term is. The 1999 version has content not found in the manga but that's not what filler is and the anime only content ranges from a few scenes to a couple episodes, at most, that do canonically occur within the anime but not the manga. Which is hardly comparable to filler arcs and filler seasons current shounen anime use in order to not catch up with the source material and don't canonically occur in the anime.

If you also like to see conventional characters (idiot/innocent "hero" and emo "lancer"), see the 1999 version. If you want to see nonconventional characters, go with the 2011 version.

I don't even know what this comparison is about. Neither versions have different characterizations. The 2011 version as stated is trying to be closer to the manga storyline but who the characters basically are is the same in all three versions.

May 21, 2012 10:45 AM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:

I don't even know what this comparison is about. Neither versions have different characterizations. The 2011 version as stated is trying to be closer to the manga storyline but who the characters basically are is the same in all three versions.

No not really. Particularly Kurapica in Yorknew arc. Or Gon in general who is a lot more serious in the 1999 anime and his selfish attitude is not as prevalent as the manga/2011. Also Killua starts out much more emo and his random killings are censored.
May 21, 2012 10:58 AM

Oct 2009
bleachjoj said:
Particularly Kurapica in Yorknew arc.

New anime already added a filler scene in which he howls in the mud but I guesss it's ok and non-emo.
May 21, 2012 11:04 AM

Sep 2010
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

No not really. Particularly Kurapica in Yorknew arc. Or Gon in general who is a lot more serious in the 1999 anime and his selfish attitude is not as prevalent as the manga/2011. Also Killua starts out much more emo and his random killings are censored.

I don't know what you mean by selfish, I watched the 1999 series before reading the manga and didn't get 'selfish' from Gon at all. Maybe you mean selfless.

Different scenes and execution didn't really change how the characters were characterized, all you are showing is that the 1999 series and manga have different scenes. Killua not killing people in the airship doesn't change his characterization as he kills other people in the anime just like he did in the manga. It was a change in scene, not a change in characterization.

May 21, 2012 11:23 AM

May 2012
coldwave said:
bleachjoj said:
Particularly Kurapica in Yorknew arc.

New anime already added a filler scene in which he howls in the mud but I guesss it's ok and non-emo.

Looked like frustration to me because he lost and realized he was too weak.

Anime_Name said:
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

I don't know what you mean by selfish, I watched the 1999 series before reading the manga and didn't get 'selfish' from Gon at all. Maybe you mean selfless.

Different scenes and execution didn't really change how the characters were characterized, all you are showing is that the 1999 series and manga have different scenes. Killua not killing people in the airship doesn't change his characterization as he kills other people in the anime just like he did in the manga. It was a change in scene, not a change in characterization.

How can you not get selfish Gon? In the manga Gon always choses his own goals over others. Heaven's arena he broke his promise to Wing just so he can fight. He takes Ponzu's badge and then smiles about after saying that she'll get Leorio's badge. The 1999 anime had Leorio take it. Just watch both anime and you'll see how different they're interpreted.
May 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Sep 2010
I don't get "selfish" from taking a badge and giving it to someone else. Even though there was some deceit his act was more generous(it helped someone else more than it helped him) than selfish.
Breaking his promise to Wing wasnt what I would call a selfish act either, impulsive, head-strong, and maybe brash but not selfish.

The 1999 anime had Leorio take it.

And that is still just a single event that doesn't change Leerio's character significantly from that of the manga. You're over-emphasizing minor differences in a few scenes as character defining moments. Even though the majority of what is covered,characterization-wise, in the manga is accurately adapted into the anime.

May 21, 2012 12:19 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

How can you not get selfish Gon? In the manga Gon always choses his own goals over others. Heaven's arena he broke his promise to Wing just so he can fight. He takes Ponzu's badge and then smiles about after saying that she'll get Leorio's badge. The 1999 anime had Leorio take it. Just watch both anime and you'll see how different they're interpreted.

You are total in denial if you can't see how different the characterization of 1999 series and the manga and the 2011 series is, they're not the same characters. They have different inner conflicts, different personalities, different reactions and decision making to different circumstances, and different mannerism.

Some of the examples:
1999 series:
Gon condescend an exhausted Leorio by being worry sick, then asked Tonpa to carry him.
Manga/2011:
Gon won't reach out a hand, just silently observed on the side and trust his friend's ability to pull himself up.

This is two different characterizations: the Manga Gon felt more of a future leader type who doesn't baby his friends. While 1999 series depicts him as an conventional innocent good boy who does expected right things.

1999 series
Gon felt victimized and losing his shit in dramatized fashion after being punch by Hisoka.
Manga/2011
Gon sulked in silent for his bruised ego, a much more dignified boy

1999's Gon responded like a typical frightened, victimized child. Manga/2011 Gon is frightened by not victimized, he cared more for his his manly ego being bruised, then it's revealed that he craves that thrill.

1999 series
Gon won't lie and cheat (didn't steal Ponzu's badge, thus omitted his /sneaky nature)
Manga/2011
Gon displayed his bargaining skills and sneaky nature by stealing Ponzu's badge.

It changes characterization because the 1999 implied Gon didn't foresee a 100% success of what happens after, he's just a brave heroic boy who saves everybody, and didn't even notice the rising opportunity. While in the manga/2011, the stealing is part of the whole bargaining trap Gon set for Ponzu. It displayed his daring and quick thinking. It is a drastic different characterizations of a conventional goody goody boy who only see at-the-moment vs a dare-devil/leader type who thinks ahead.
I found the former typical, but the later characterization is one that'd impressed Killua and other people who met Gon and get awestruck by his lack of morality but charismatic nature. What later stories showed us is that in many occasions where Gon will do something audacious but worked out eventually because he can project few steps ahead and willing to gamble.

The manga Gon would never do something like the 1999 series did. The 1999 not only writes goody goody things for Gon (more endearing to mainstream audience I'm sure), it affected his mannerism. 1999 overemphasized Gon's wild eye innocent/dumb side, while missing those quite, dignified/manly/sneaky moment, so the 1999 Gon is not well rounded, and that goody goody portrayal contradicts the increasingly selfish and crazy Gon later in the story.

As for Killua:

1999 series
Killua started out very emo, cold and distance from Gon (Gon came to say hi first) didn't know the concept of 'friend'. His dark emo expression and shadowed on the face screams 'daaarkk....killer' loudly, obviously.
Manga/2011
Killua is a cheerful boy and appeared normal on the surface from the start, came to say hi to Gon and introduce himself first. No one can tell Killua is not normal at first (Leorio just thought he's just some spoiled brat, underestimating him) and Gon commented on how Killua doesn't look like a killer at all.

That's two very different starting characterizations. 1999 took the conventional 'emo' portrayal, while in the manga/2011, the badass and cool Killua only appeared in glimpses where he needs to be. There's NO learning curve for Killua about what is 'friendship' and how to act like a normal child, he knew how already.

1999 series
Killua suffered from guilt of who he is/his family in that stupid filler (that completely ruined the ball game with Netero).
Manga/2011
Killua took pride in his family and especially his dad obviously, and his main rebellion came from not wanting to be told what to do and having no choice of a lifestyle of his own, not because he has some conscience /morality inner conflicts that the 1999 series kept hammering on

1999 series
Killua was tormented by struggles of suppressing his dark, dangerous killer nature as filler added some episodes with the bear and Mito.
Manga/2011
Killua has NO such struggle at all whatsoever. He didn't have problem suppressing his killer nature. Rather, his REAL ongoing struggles came from over self-preservations on the face of danger as taught by Illumi.

As a manga fan (who came to HxH first from manga), these are NOT minor changes.
I think coming from the 1999 series first colored your first impression already. I hate the 1999's Gon so much that it nearly ruined the show for me, at least the director stopped whitewashing Gon later but the damage was done.
kcacoMay 21, 2012 12:39 PM
May 21, 2012 12:28 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
I don't get "selfish" from taking a badge and giving it to someone else. Even though there was some deceit his act was more generous(it helped someone else more than it helped him) than selfish.
Breaking his promise to Wing wasnt what I would call a selfish act either, impulsive, head-strong, and maybe brash but not selfish.

The 1999 anime had Leorio take it.

And that is still just a single event that doesn't change Leerio's character significantly from that of the manga. You're over-emphasizing minor differences in a few scenes as character defining moments. Even though the majority of what is covered,characterization-wise, in the manga is accurately adapted into the anime.

Don't know how that's not selfish but ,whatever.

I also never said that event change Leorio's character. But the the fact that Gon did not do it, changes how the audience sees him.
May 21, 2012 12:38 PM

Sep 2010
You are total in denial if you can't see how different the characterization of 1999 series and the manga and the 2011 series is, they're not the same characters.

I have said nothing about there being no differences. What I have said is that the differences in the scenes don't make drastic changes in how any single characters is viewed in the 1999 series when compared to the manga.

A lot, almost all, of your examples are just horrible exaggerations on your part to magnify(or create) vastly different interpretations. "Gon felt victimized and losing his shit in dramatized fashion..." but you downplay his reaction in the manga by saying, "Gon sulked in silent for his bruised ego, a much more dignified boy". Keeping in mind in BOTH version's Gon kept the problem and his feelings about that encounter to himself but because of a little extra scene in the 1999 version you want to claim he wasn't being dignified about it.

1999 series
Gon won't lie and cheat (didn't steal Ponzu's badge, thus omitted his /sneaky nature)

That was not how the anime showed Gon. The anime showed Gon to be an outside-the-box thinker that even if what he does is technically cheating he will still do it if it means he will win. In fact the entire HxH story is about knowing how to apply the rules in your favor, ie cheating when you have too.

Not having him steal the badge only omitted his sneakiness from this one encounter. His sneakiness is still part of his character and is shown in the anime during other arcs like GI and the Tower.

I also never said that event change Leorio's character. But the the fact that Gon did not do it, changes how the audience sees him.

It's not a drastic change in his character, it was only a minor change in how the sequence of events played out.

May 21, 2012 12:43 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
You are total in denial if you can't see how different the characterization of 1999 series and the manga and the 2011 series is, they're not the same characters.

I have said nothing about there being no differences. What I have said is that the differences in the scenes don't make drastic changes in how any single characters is viewed in the 1999 series when compared to the manga.

A lot, almost all, of your examples are just horrible exaggerations on your part to magnify(or create) vastly different interpretations. "Gon felt victimized and losing his shit in dramatized fashion..." but you downplay his reaction in the manga by saying, "Gon sulked in silent for his bruised ego, a much more dignified boy". Keeping in mind in BOTH version's Gon kept the problem and his feelings about that encounter to himself but because of a little extra scene in the 1999 version you want to claim he wasn't being dignified about it.

That's because Gon doesn't act that way. He's not magnifying it, that's how it is layed out in front of you. The two scenes were drastically different. One shows how traumatized Gon is after the encounter. The other shows how angry he is that he got beat twice and pitied.
May 21, 2012 12:46 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:

Not having him steal the badge only omitted his sneakiness from this one encounter. His sneakiness is still part of his character and is shown in the anime during other arcs like GI and the Tower.
It's not a drastic change in his character, it was only a minor change in how the sequence of events played out.

Yeah..GI...that's when..?
"I hate the 1999's Gon so much that it nearly ruined the show for me, at least the director stopped whitewashing Gon later but the damage was done." None was established at first, inconsistency.

I think you first came to HxH from 1999, you would have favorable biased toward it and lessen its flawed portrayal. I listed all the major points up there. Coming from the manga, I judged it way more harshly (well deserved in my opinion), what 1999 series did to characterizations was very drastic and I remembered it upsetting many manga fans back then.
May 21, 2012 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

That's because Gon doesn't act that way. He's not magnifying it, that's how it is layed out in front of you. The two scenes were drastically different. One shows how traumatized Gon is after the encounter. The other shows how angry he is that he got beat twice and pitied.

That alone seriously showed how biased Anime_Name is lessening 1999 series' changes.
A boy who lose his shit...trembling, vomiting, peeing, running/crawling in the woods for a day or two...
versus
A boy who's angry at himself and his weaknesses and hide silently under the tree.

Huh!? This is just minor difference? It's completely two drastic different reactions to the same event. And how character react shaped their characterization and personalities. Argh...
May 21, 2012 12:51 PM

Sep 2010
The manga was just a lot more open ended than the 1999 series in respect to the whole Gon/Hisoka badge thing. The manga didn't show how Gon ended up huddled in a tree and didn't even give him any lines or inner-dialogue as to what he actually thought. It's you, the reader, who is claiming he is more angry than traumatized even though it still took him 3 days to meet up with his friends after getting helped by Hisoka. However, me as a read sees Gon's silence to be more complex than simple anger.

Neither really changes who the character is.

That alone seriously showed how biased Anime_Name is lessening 1999 series' changes.

And it shows how biased you are when you chalk up Gon's pissing himself with being so mentally bothered about Hisoka even though some of that is because he was full of paralyzing poison that should have lasted 10 days...or do you want me to beleive that it is out of character for Gon to piss himself because he couldn't move just because the manga didn't show it?
Anime_NameMay 21, 2012 1:00 PM

May 21, 2012 1:00 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
The manga was just a lot more open ended than the 1999 series in respect to the whole Gon/Hisoka badge thing. The manga didn't show how Gon ended up huddled in a tree and didn't even give him any lines or inner-dialogue as to what he actually thought. It's you, the reader, who is claiming he is more angry than traumatized even though it still took him 3 days to meet up with his friends after getting helped by Hisoka. However, me as a read sees Gon's silence to be more complex than simple anger.

If it's open ended, the 1999's take on it is STILL out of character and wrong as it changed his character. The Gon portrayed in the manga won't lose his shit like that. When Gon lose it, his reaction is ANGER! Anger at himself, anger at the other person. Not fear, not victimization. The 1999's wrong interpretation made Gon pathetic.
May 21, 2012 1:11 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:

And it shows how biased you are when you chalk up Gon's pissing himself with being so mentally bothered about Hisoka even though some of that is because he was full of paralyzing poison that should have lasted 10 days...or do you want me to beleive that it is out of character for Gon to piss himself because he couldn't move just because the manga didn't show it?

I think if Togashi wanted you to see Gon severely broken he would of showed it. I guess
May 21, 2012 1:16 PM

Sep 2010
There was nothing out of character in that segment. Gon was in the tree in the manga and under the effects of a 10 day paralytic poison.
The anime merely decided to extrapolate how Gon got to that tree in the manga and show that bodily functions still need to come out even when paralyzed.

Again, anger is a simple and tripe emotion, that given the level of writing and effort put into HxH I felt the character was thinking about more things. Also being traumatized does not in anyway limited the amount of anger one can feel.

So far it's not the 1999's interpretation that is wrong, you're trying so hard to make up exaggerations that you are losing sight of everything put into the story.

I think if Togashi wanted you to see Gon severely broken he would of showed it. I guess

Or he would have just left it open-ended and open for interpretation instead of being simplistic and straight forward.

I know the show/manga is tagged as shonen but give the writer a little more credit than assuming the only way to get a point across is by holding your hand and escorting you to it.

May 21, 2012 1:23 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
There was nothing out of character in that segment. Gon was in the tree in the manga and under the effects of a 10 day paralytic poison.
The anime merely decided to extrapolate how Gon got to that tree in the manga and show that bodily functions still need to come out even when paralyzed.

Again, anger is a simple and tripe emotion, that given the level of writing and effort put into HxH I felt the character was thinking about more things. Also being traumatized does not in anyway limited the amount of anger one can feel.

So far it's not the 1999's interpretation that is wrong, you're trying so hard to make up exaggerations that you are losing sight of everything put into the story.

Or he would have just left it open-ended and open for interpretation instead of being simplistic and straight forward.

I know the show/manga is tagged as shonen but give the writer a little more credit than assuming the only way to get a point across is by holding your hand and escorting you to it.

I'm not. I'm going by what I've seen and read of manga to know that's not Gon's reaction in that situation.
May 21, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
I'm not. I'm going by what I've seen and read of manga to know that's not Gon's reaction in that situation.

Yeah those were tears of anger when he told Kurapica about his encounter and certainly he wasn't crying because that encounter traumatized him at all...

May 21, 2012 1:56 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:

No I'm not, by 300 chapters later as a reader I know what Gon's character is capable of, and whatever 1999 made up is not true to his character. It's jarring, and worst, when fans of 1999 series often cited these made up stuff to attack the 2011 series (ie: especially Killua).
May 21, 2012 2:00 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Yeah those were tears of anger when he told Kurapica about his encounter and certainly he wasn't crying because that encounter traumatized him at all...

Actually those were tears of anger.
Gon says: "I was really upset... not to be able to hit him back".
May 21, 2012 2:01 PM

Sep 2010
Jarring and worst, emotional hyperbole that can't be believed at face value.
If the 1999 series completely changed the characters and story then you might have a leg to stand on but as it is, a damn accurate adaptation for anime standards, your claims just come as a little hard to believe.

May 21, 2012 2:06 PM

Sep 2010
Salce said:
Anime_Name said:

Actually those were tears of anger.
Gon says: "I was really upset... not to be able to hit him back".

I take it you never heard of juxtaposition or contrast?
Let's pretend we aren't talking about Gon or hxh and some person says they are "upset" over something and are visibly shedding tears. Logic would dictate that something other than pure anger is going on in order to cause those tears.

What further makes that particular scene interesting is what makes Gon feel better, being useful to his friends. If his tears were out of pure anger then being useful/helpful wouldn't make this tears go away. What would relieve those feelings of anger would be violence and the chance to hurt someone as he had been hurt.

May 21, 2012 2:14 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
If the 1999 series completely changed the characters and story then you might have a leg to stand on but as it is, a damn accurate adaptation for anime standards, your claims just come as a little hard to believe.

Me and many others have brought up arguments on how it is different, but you seem to just ignore it. Whatever, think what want.
May 21, 2012 2:17 PM

Sep 2010
bleachjoj said:

Me and many others have brought up arguments on how it is different, but you seem to just ignore it. Whatever, think what want.

And where have I disputed the differences? I am fully aware and have acknowledged that differences exist. What I have problems with with level of importance/out-of-character claims you and others have tried to attach to those differences.

May 21, 2012 2:19 PM

Feb 2012
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

It seems that he totally buys into the 1999 interpretation as THE canon, so it's pointless as he'd ignore the manga and the big picture in context and continuity, especially when Salce already quoted that line spoken by Gon, and he'd still insisted Gon was traumatized by fear and helplessness as the 1999 made up scenes had him believed.
May 21, 2012 2:27 PM

Sep 2010
kcaco said:
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

It seems that he totally buys into the 1999 interpretation as THE canon, so it's pointless as he'd ignore the manga and the big picture in context and continuity, especially when Salce already quoted that line spoken by Gon, and he'd still insisted Gon was traumatized by fear and helplessness as the 1999 made up scenes had him believed.

Where did I say that? You're a habitual liar and seem to regress to outright making up things nobody has said because you refuse to see other people's viewpoints.
Me saying that the encounter did traumatize Gon doesn't mean he is traumatized by fear and helplessness. There are various ways to get traumatized and a myriad of feelings that can stirred up. All I've said is that Gon wasn't just plain ole angry and that the context of the scene with Kurapica indicated he had more feelings going on than what you are willing to accept.

May 21, 2012 2:30 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
bleachjoj said:

And where have I disputed the differences? I am fully aware and have acknowledged that differences exist. What I have problems with with level of importance/out-of-character claims you and others have tried to attach to those differences.

That is disputing the differences.
May 21, 2012 2:34 PM

Sep 2010
bleachjoj said:

The 1999 series shows how Gon got to the tree, bunny-things, him pissing his pants because he was paralyzed, and had some inner-reflection over the encounter for three days.
The manga just had Gon huddled up in the tree and then met his friends three days later.

Factual differences. There's no dispute over the differences.

All that extra emotive wording and your interpretation of what Gon feels or does not feel is what I am disputing.

May 21, 2012 2:46 PM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
bleachjoj said:

The 1999 series shows how Gon got to the tree, bunny-things, him pissing his pants because he was paralyzed, and had some inner-reflection over the encounter for three days.
The manga just had Gon huddled up in the tree and then met his friends three days later.

Factual differences. There's no dispute over the differences.

All that extra emotive wording and your interpretation of what Gon feels or does not feel is what I am disputing.

Or maybe they just had a different interpretation on how Gon reacted? Because like I said in the manga/2011 anime, Gon's character does not act like that.
May 21, 2012 2:56 PM

Sep 2010
bleachjoj said:

Or maybe they just had a different interpretation on how Gon reacted? Because like I said in the manga/2011 anime, Gon's character does not act like that.

The problem is your mixing up "some scenes being different" with "Gon(or characters) acting differently". Some scenes do play out differently in the 1999 series, even in the 2011 series, when compared directly to the manga but those differences don't change the characters as much as you have been claiming because the majority of how the characters act is directly from the manga and the differences between the versions only happen occasionally.

May 21, 2012 3:24 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
The problem is your mixing up "some scenes being different" with "Gon(or characters) acting differently". Some scenes do play out differently in the 1999 series, even in the 2011 series, when compared directly to the manga but those differences don't change the characters as much as you have been claiming because the majority of how the characters act is directly from the manga and the differences between the versions only happen occasionally.

But, What defines the characters, if they aren't their actions?

They aren't real people. For us, in a fictional story, characters aren't anything but what they do, and what we can deduce of their actions.

So, If Gon's behavior is repeatedly different in the anime of 1999, he ends up being a different Gon.
I think is not casuality that so many of us had the feeling that he was almost a completely different character.
BennyDelonMay 21, 2012 3:33 PM
May 21, 2012 3:46 PM

Sep 2010
Salce said:
But, What defines the characters, if they aren't their actions?

Then the question should be are Gon's actions mostly derived from the manga or not. If most of Gon's actions can be found in the manga then even with the differences in the anime,then Gon should be perceived as the same character. Not "completely" different as you claim.

So, If Gon's behavior is repeatedly different in the anime of 1999, he ends up being a different Gon.

The thing is Gon's behavior is shown to be exactly what is found in the manga more often than not and still basically the same character even if some events are different. Even if some of the things the anime show him doing are not found in the manga does not make those actions automatically out of character. Pick any top shonen movie and those are still the same characters from their respective manga, just in a new scenario acting roughly how the viewers/readers have come to expect. Gon in the 1999 series is no different from that. He isn't doing anything out of character, what you guys are actually pointing out is that he is doing things not found in the manga and creating a slew of emotional interpretations about what you feel is different in his head.

May 21, 2012 4:08 PM
May 2012
@bleachjoj, kcaco, Salce

Guys, you're just wasting your time reasoning with an unreasonable person. I already demonstrated on the Episode 31 thread how his capacity to interpret things in conversational post is, shall we say, not what you would expect from someone arguing character motivations and actions that defines complexities of the said character.

Best to just ignore his posts.
May 21, 2012 4:22 PM

Oct 2009
bleachjoj said:

Yeah, having one of the smartest characters lying in mud beaten and almost crying, that didn't happen even in 99. Instead of showing him using his wits to learn about Nen and find a teacher by himself( or skipping it like manga did) we have a bizzare sequence that makes no sense. So, right after learning that 'something' (Nen) exists, Kurapika is randomly approached by a Nen user( fate, huh), attacked for no reason whatsoever, humiliated, beaten, forced to admit his defeat and pretty much beg. Makes perfect sense and some great characterization right there.
May 21, 2012 4:32 PM

May 2012
coldwave said:
bleachjoj said:

Yeah, having one of the smartest characters lying in mud beaten and almost crying, that didn't happen even in 99. Instead of showing him using his wits to learn about Nen and find a teacher by himself( or skipping it like manga did) we have a bizzare sequence that makes no sense. So, right after learning that 'something' (Nen) exists, Kurapika is randomly approached by a Nen user( fate, huh), attacked for no reason whatsoever, humiliated, beaten, forced to admit his defeat and pretty much beg. Makes perfect sense and some great characterization right there.

How does it not make sense? Unless your just trying to find reasons to come after me? He found a nen teacher. If you know what happens then you should know it was not a coincidence. Attacked for no reason? Eh, don't think. It was done to test Kurapica's strength. Using his wits? About a force he didn't understand.
May 21, 2012 4:41 PM
May 2012
coldwave said:
bleachjoj said:

Dunno if you're being sarcastic but I actually laughed about the "fate" line uttered by this character. The part about Kurapika meeting the karate guy is a foreshadowing because at this point in time, viewers doesn't know that (please don't click if you haven't seen the old anime or manga)
May 21, 2012 4:46 PM

Aug 2009
I bet that the guy who's created this topic has laughed his ass off from the dispute that has taken place.
May 21, 2012 4:53 PM

Sep 2010
fanimanga said:
@bleachjoj, kcaco, Salce

Guys, you're just wasting your time reasoning with an unreasonable person. I already demonstrated on the Episode 31 thread how his capacity to interpret things in conversational post is, shall we say, not what you would expect from someone arguing character motivations and actions that defines complexities of the said character.

Best to just ignore his posts.

Yes, yes. That single thread and our limited encounter is enough for your to conclude that my capacity for reason and interpretation is somehow going to be wrong in every topic now because of how "right" you really were in the other topic.

That's reasoning isn't a fallacy at all.

For those not paying attention at home, that was sarcasm.

May 21, 2012 4:55 PM

Oct 2009
bleachjoj said:

If you know what happens then you should know it was not a coincidence.

Enlighten me how it's not a coincidence.
May 21, 2012 5:18 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
bleachjoj said:

What you kept on ignoring is that it's the combination of ALL these changes made to Gon and Killua's characterization (their inner conflicts, actions, decision making, focuses) that altered the way they're presented thematically, hence they feel like different characters.

The 1999 director chose to highlight something that the author didn't. To not only make up but overemphasized the victimization and fear of Gon, it changed the focus and how the audience take away from the character's actions. The made-up long sequences of the frightened reactions of Gon had was soooo dramatically directed, it was overkilled. It screamed a pitiful, poor little boy. It's saying completely different things than the quiet sulking scene Togashi chose to highlight and what that had to say. The two sequences told two different reactions and provoke different emotions, no way they came from the same character.

If it's just one isolated incident then it's fine. But no it's not, there're changes upon changes, the out-of-character presentation was just so consistent throughout the pre-Yorkshin part that (esp. Killua's 'emo' frontal look and mannerism). It tells me that the director just didn't understand Gon and Killua. He has his own idea of how they should be, and he chose to input and highlight those things that encouraged his own vision, instead of Togashi's.

Oh yeah and there were some throw away made up joke where Gon was all nervous and tried to cover up Killua's background to Mito, that's just made me shake my head. Gon was never embarrassed for Killua's background nor worried other people finding out. It's so out of character. This is not the same Gon who didn't bat an eye when Killua revealed his background to me. The director is just so concerned in portraying a good boy (in the conventional sense), he took away the unconventional charm Gon has.

kcacoMay 21, 2012 5:31 PM
May 21, 2012 5:33 PM

Oct 2011
Anime_Name said:

Gon cries a total of three times (as far as I can remember) in the entire series:

1. Chapter 1--The flashback wherein Gon, as a much younger child, is attacked by a Foxbear.
2. Gon's conversation with Kurapika at the end of the Fourth Phase, wherein Gon vents his frustration with being unable to dominate the situation against Hisoka according to his own terms.

To reveal some things about Gon,
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 2, 2013

139 by Nerdason »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 68 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RX-782 - Feb 23, 2013

200 by Nerdason »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 67 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

RX-782 - Feb 16, 2013

102 by Nerdason »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

239 by axya_saravs »»
Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 108 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2013

291 by TheOtherJN »»
Yesterday, 3:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.