Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Did they die in the end?
Feb 1, 2011 4:32 PM

May 2010
my friend is telling me they did because of this

1. sora's bunny is magically fixed but her err broken? one is still in her room when they pass by

2. they didnt interact with anyone else after the drowning scene

i think theyre alive like it shows but what do you guys think?
Feb 1, 2011 6:31 PM

Feb 2010
I'd like to think they're alive, but from what I've seen they seem pretty dead.
Why show the broken bunny if they were alive? Maybe to make a question at
the end, but I'm sure it would be more complicated than that. They were at the bottom of the lake so I don't know how Sora could have managed to get Haru up. When Sora was pushing Haru down it looked like she was doing it on purpose.. They were about to seperate anyway, so Sora wanted to die with him. I hope a new season comes ... :(
Feb 1, 2011 9:42 PM
Oct 2010
They're alive. Sora is shown to know how to swim in the visual novel, and drags Haru's body ashore after he whispers "help me" to her before fainting.
Feb 1, 2011 9:59 PM

May 2010
Maugomale said:
They're alive. Sora is shown to know how to swim in the visual novel, and drags Haru's body ashore after he whispers "help me" to her before fainting.

still they were like atleast 50 feet deep, i cant imagine 1 girl pulling herself and Haru from that deep to the surface , that is of course unless she is crazy strong and can hold her breath for a dang long time. im using real life common sense for this, i know its anime but it still has some sort of common sense in it
Feb 8, 2011 3:55 AM

Mar 2009
I think they're still alive since Sora saved Haru.
Feb 8, 2011 3:59 AM

Jun 2009
I think you guys are grasping at straws because, for some reason, you just want a sad ending. I didn't see anything to allude to their deaths.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 14, 2011 7:23 PM

Jun 2009
I think they're alive and well... I mean, the dead can't send text messages...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2011 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
ever swim in a deep pool? u know when u hit the bottom, its not hard to "push off" towards the top :D

theres too many signs pointing to them being alive, i didnt even consider a dead ending for a second :)
Apr 27, 2011 1:36 PM

Jun 2008
insan3soldiern said:
I think you guys are grasping at straws because, for some reason, you just want a sad ending. I didn't see anything to allude to their deaths.

I didn't see it at first myself, but it feels so much better if they're dead. If they're alive it feels like a crappily made excuse for a happy ending.

1. As mentioned, the bunny. It was clearly destroyed, but then Sora has it on the train, like new.
2. Aside from a text, no interaction with anyone but each other after the fact.
3. This isn't the VN, and we never got any evidence that Sora knew how to swim, and even if she could, that she'd be able to pull both herself and her brother up from the depths of the lake with her obviously weak body. I realize the director may have assumed VN knowledge, but that just supports my earlier statement about a crappy product; not everyone plays the VN.
4. Is it not convenient that Kazuha was sent the text? She wasn't Sora's girlfriend, so why was she sent it over Nao? It just so happens that Kazuha works at the shrine, so she'd probably be the first to discover their bodies and could cover it up. Also, I can't read Japanese, but I only see "From" on the text. I don't know if there might be something else there.
5. Lastly, the train. It was much more luxurious than the previous one, with fans, nice curtains, wooden benches and everything. Outside all we see is the wall, suggesting the inside of a tunnel, and then sky. Seems a bit too "perfect" to me, especially if you assume they're alive and just heading to a new destination.

That's my interpretation, at least.
May 4, 2011 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
Redfoxoffire said:
insan3soldiern said:

I didn't see it at first myself, but it feels so much better if they're dead. If they're alive it feels like a crappily made excuse for a happy ending.

1. As mentioned, the bunny. It was clearly destroyed, but then Sora has it on the train, like new.
3. This isn't the VN, and we never got any evidence that Sora knew how to swim, and even if she could, that she'd be able to pull both herself and her brother up from the depths of the lake with her obviously weak body. I realize the director may have assumed VN knowledge, but that just supports my earlier statement about a crappy product; not everyone plays the VN.
4. Is it not convenient that Kazuha was sent the text? She wasn't Sora's girlfriend, so why was she sent it over Nao? It just so happens that Kazuha works at the shrine, so she'd probably be the first to discover their bodies and could cover it up. Also, I can't read Japanese, but I only see "From" on the text. I don't know if there might be something else there.
5. Lastly, the train. It was much more luxurious than the previous one, with fans, nice curtains, wooden benches and everything. Outside all we see is the wall, suggesting the inside of a tunnel, and then sky. Seems a bit too "perfect" to me, especially if you assume they're alive and just heading to a new destination.

1. buy new rabbit doll
2. so? only one person in that town had a phone neways, and plus they moved away, disregarded societal norms and shut out their friend circle. what point is there to keep in contact with them?
3. theres no proof to say that she DOESNT know how to swim. and last i heard, a person can gain some ungodly strength when their life (or the one they love) is on the line
4. shes the only one with a cell phone..as prev explained
5. ur reaching for straws...lol esp on this one

i think u are searching desperately for a sad ending..its not there. sry
May 11, 2011 7:17 PM

Jun 2008
restore said:
Redfoxoffire said:
insan3soldiern said:

1. buy new rabbit doll
2. so? only one person in that town had a phone neways, and plus they moved away, disregarded societal norms and shut out their friend circle. what point is there to keep in contact with them?
3. theres no proof to say that she DOESNT know how to swim. and last i heard, a person can gain some ungodly strength when their life (or the one they love) is on the line
4. shes the only one with a cell phone..as prev explained
5. ur reaching for straws...lol esp on this one

i think u are searching desperately for a sad ending..its not there. sry

1. As far as I recall, the doll was some sort of keepsake. You can't just replace something like that by going out and buying another. Plus it's a bit too convenient of an excuse to pass by the "Oh it was a screw up" if you're right and the twins are not dead.
2. You misunderstood me. After the "drowning" scene, they are never scene interacting with anyone at all except each other. No goodbyes, no buying train tickets, no random train passengers nothing to suggest they actually have any more human contact.
3. You can't prove she can swim by saying there's no proof she can't. You are copping out. Fact is, as far as the anime goes, there is more evidence to support that she can't swim rather than she can, as I explained. Yes, you can gain strength like that in such desperate situations, but given the context that is just not enough to explain this.
4. When was this explained?
5. Uh, no, I'm not. Watch that scene again. It's more like a dream sequence than a reality. If they were just heading to their next destination, why go first class (especially since, as I recall, they were getting very tight on money)? At the beginning they were clearly shown in a more normal train.

My point stands. They are either dead or this was a very poorly made show.
May 11, 2011 7:31 PM

Mar 2011
Wait what do you mean they died?

In the last episode, wasn't it clear that they were alive (Sora saving Haru (though it was unrealistic for them to be alive but you can't deny the fact that they lived)text,getting on the train,etc.
Courtesy of Paul
May 13, 2011 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
he wants them to be dead, so he has rationalized within delusion to believe it so

brb makoto actually lives in school days
May 16, 2011 2:01 PM

Jun 2008
Miora-san said:
Wait what do you mean they died?

In the last episode, wasn't it clear that they were alive (Sora saving Haru (though it was unrealistic for them to be alive but you can't deny the fact that they lived)text,getting on the train,etc.

Read everything that's been said. Even if you don't believe it, there is enough evidence to reasonably believe they may have drowned.

restore said:
he wants them to be dead, so he has rationalized within delusion to believe it so

brb makoto actually lives in school days

She*

Says the person who no longer has a response. gg.
May 16, 2011 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
all your points are speculation, - anything can be bought again, there doesnt need to be a "scene" of them interacting with neone...theres a million reasons for not having it, one being time constraints for the episode.

wheres the reference that it was a "high class train?" lol...again more speculation. just because it looks nicer doesnt mean its a train in the afterlife. they also didnt make a note that they were on the exact same train as in the beginning of the show.

and in regards to when the cell phone was explained, it was in the 1st episode when ryouhei was walking with haru on their way to school and commented

"oh ur such a city boy, having a phone. this town recently got radio waves, and ojou (referring to the rich girl) is the only one with a cell phone too"

and thus, unless the text at the end came from ghosts, its pretty much undisputed that they were the ones who delivered it.

edit: u should re-watch the ending....there is no doubt that they are alive in a place overseas (which will explain ur train question)
removed-userMay 16, 2011 2:32 PM
May 16, 2011 4:00 PM

Jun 2008
restore said:
all your points are speculation, - anything can be bought again, there doesnt need to be a "scene" of them interacting with neone...theres a million reasons for not having it, one being time constraints for the episode.

Of course you are correct that this is all possible. I've never said it isn't. I've just said that if it is the case, the ending was very poorly done. At least know what I'm saying.

wheres the reference that it was a "high class train?" lol...again more speculation. just because it looks nicer doesnt mean its a train in the afterlife. they also didnt make a note that they were on the exact same train as in the beginning of the show.

Actually look at the train they're on at the end. It definitely looks too nice for two twins who are out of money. Stop taking everything at face value and assuming that's the case.

and thus, unless the text at the end came from ghosts, its pretty much undisputed that they were the ones who delivered it.

Or it was forged, which was my argument from the beginning.

edit: u should re-watch the ending....there is no doubt that they are alive in a place overseas (which will explain ur train question)

I've watched the last episode 3 times. I know what I'm talking about.

There was plenty of speculation about this in the episode discussion when the anime ended. I didn't create this idea myself. Try starting here.
May 13, 2019 1:10 PM
May 2019
Another poll about the twins' fate, how nice, we get to vote twice!
Anyway, the death theory is interesting and has some compelling points to it, which really made my brain spin! It all adds to how much I love this anime, last arc especially. Not only did it affect me emotionally and make me question my own morality, but it also enticed me to really think hard to figure out how it ended, kinda forcing me to rewatch the ending scenes multiple times.

Therefore, upon further expection, there is just too much evidence pointing at Haru and Sora being alive. Also, the points about them being dead, while they were compelling at first, upon truly thinking about them, I either ended up giving logical explanations against them, or did not find them as evidence that proved they were dead in the first place. I won't give the details though, as I've already done that on other MAL discussions (often repeating myself), namely "The Ending", "Episode 12 discussion" and on the other poll "Are Haru and Sora alive?". So if you're curious, check them out! Shouldn't be to hard to find them, I'm one of the only few dudes posting comments lately, because I'm 9 years late. ; )

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Oct 4, 2010

413 by CastledSmile51 »»
May 19, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Dunkmaru - Dec 20, 2010

514 by szadam11 »»
May 14, 2:49 AM

» Yosuga no Sora is greatly underestimated and I will prove it(The article contains a complete analysis of anime).

_User_ - Dec 29, 2021

34 by Zarutaku »»
May 6, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nozomu - Oct 18, 2010

287 by DemhatTks16 »»
Apr 11, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 6, 2010

187 by somniumnaut »»
Apr 7, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.