Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2022 6:41 PM
Nov 2021
While I very much enjoyed this movie, there is just one thing that's been bothering me as a missed opportunity for Gene's character development.

In the beginning of the film the director (swirly eye guy) approaches Gene and offers him a piece of advice. Essentially that piece of advice is "keep a central vision for your movie because if you try to please everyone, your movie will be a directionless mess." Solid piece of advice, right?

----------------------
Instance 1:
And when they get to Switzerland, the famous actor guy, Martin, offers a suggestion that Gene immediately dismisses because it doesn't fit the vision of the movie. And in my opinion, this is a valid criticism and a good moment of resolve for Gene following the director’s advice. But my problem is that this is too easy of a moment for Gene. One can argue that Gene standing up to Martin is a big deal, especially so early on. But the moment doesn’t really go anywhere, and from here on Gene accepts any and all suggestions without any second thought.

In my eyes, the biggest missed opportunity appears in the next few scenes, as the cast and crew begin to offer suggestions to the movie. It starts with Martin offering a suggestion that he fall off the roof. Followed by brown hair girl (Natalie?) suggesting that she throw mud at him. This is Gene's first moment as a director where he is offered multiple opinions at the same time in regards to his movie.

And in this moment, my mind immediately flashed back to swirl director's advice; keep a central vision. Now I'm sure adding these two scenes wouldn't have been a big deal by themselves. But then the crew begins to make suggestions for the film (specifically I remember one of them saying "and then we can have the goat come out and lick his face!") And this is my biggest gripe. If I recall correctly, Gene's facial expression is that of someone overwhelmed in the process of trying to please everyone.

This would have been a perfect opportunity for Gene to show his determination in following the lessons learned from the director he respected for so long; having the strength to say no to prevent the movie from becoming a mess. But instead, Gene just goes with the flow and incorporates these scenes into the movie.

----------------------
Instance 2:
And in continuing this idea, when Gene is trying to cut down the movie, they could've had the scene where Gene and Natalie are in the editing room and as she is watching Gene editing and visibly recoiling when he deletes a scene that according to her was "her first scene she filmed with Martin." Instead, they could have circled back to that roof/mud/goat scene and had the pair both struggling with whether or not to keep the scene. In Gene's case: keep the scene to keep the cast happy for suggesting the idea, or keep his central focus for the movie (pleasing Pompo). And in Natalie’s case: push for the scene she offered her opinion to add things to or push Gene to keep his vision. Ultimately that editing scene shows Natalie pushing Gene to edit as he sees fit and to not worry about her feelings because it's his movie.

----------------------
My Takeaway:
In my opinion, I feel that the director’s advice could have been a great opportunity that shows just how serious Gene is to make the movie to please Pompo. But the only scene where he weighs the pros and cons of the suggestions of others was that one instance with Martin. After that, the director's advice just feels ignored for the rest of the movie. Instead, I feel the fall/mud/goat scene would’ve been a better opportunity for this theme to have appeared. Or maybe even Gene takes part of the group's suggestions but not all. It would have shown a realistic scenario where the whole crew’s ideas could have made the movie a “directionless mess” but Gene harks back to the directors advice and stands firm to his central vision, even if it makes doesn't make everyone happy.

Sorry this was long winded, but I guess if I didn't like this movie I wouldn't have this much to say! I wonder what anyone else's thoughts on this were. It's just been sitting with me and I had to get it off my chest.
May 1, 2022 7:35 AM

Jul 2011
I get where you're coming from with this, but I think you forgot one part about the goat scene. It wasn't in the movie in the first place. Most likely, I'm wrong here, but during the goat scene, it was raining that day, and at first, Pomp suggested that they do an inside scene, but Gene wants to do a part that's not in the movie. So, fixing the bar was his suggestion, and everyone else just added on to it.

The part you're talking about with Martin is also a bit off. Martin isn't asking for a scene. He's suggesting what his character should act. Gene turns it down because it doesn't fit Martin's character. Martin's character is supposed to be depressed, which wouldn't fit his character. I might be remembering that wrong, but that's how I remember.

As for the last part, I liked that Nathalie let Gene do what he wanted. In the end, it's his movie. There is a line between actor and director, and Nathalie has to believe Gene will make the right choice.

I could be off about a few things, but I think the movie was good. I have a few problems with the film myself, but that's just me.
May 2, 2022 7:36 PM
Apr 2021
It’s his movie, but he’s not making it alone. The point of the scene with Martin is that he takes advice, but only things he wants. He agreed with what the crew suggested because he thought it’d be good and in the end, despite that he cut it to make his movie his.

I think the big point about the senior director and as well the scene with Granpa Pompo is down to the editing. He focuses on that the most. When it comes to making the movie, the editing is what really makes it his movie. You see him cut out many, many things to do this. He struggles between what to cut and what not to as he wants to please Pompo but also make it his, only to realize that in order to please her, he can’t just follow what he thinks she’d want and has to make it solely his. That’s where both directors advice goes, and that’s where his arc completes.
Aug 10, 2022 11:03 PM
Jan 2019
IHateThis69 said:

Instead, they could have circled back to that roof/mud/goat scene and had the pair both struggling with whether or not to keep the scene.

Although this scene doesn't happen, we get to see how Gene finally cuts the mud scene from the final version of the movie. It happens during the final sequence and it's a bit frantic, but you get to see a flashback of all the crew members giving advice and being happy before Gene presses the delete button.
That felt like a good resolution for the whole director's advice thing. Gene knows that everyone involved would want to see that in the final cut and the scene isn't clearly out of place like Martin's suggestions at the start, but he has to gut it anyway.

More topics from this board

» 1hr 30min movie length

mshfqtny - May 2

8 by onespankman »»
May 3, 1:22 AM

Poll: » Eiga Daisuki Pompo-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Feorg - Dec 27, 2021

54 by Jack-Kai-Lantern »»
Mar 27, 8:40 AM

» What yee yee ass dance was Natalie doing?

iamthinking - Feb 5

3 by mhkr »»
Feb 5, 3:38 AM

» How is this not popular?

JSimpson2000 - Mar 31, 2022

17 by Zarutaku »»
Oct 8, 2023 7:57 AM

» Canada: Is the SUB not premiering here?

zz0 - Apr 24, 2022

1 by zz0 »»
Apr 26, 2022 5:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.