New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 6, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2014
Episode 10 PV
Dec 8, 2016 7:18 AM

May 2014
I had an inkling that Salt was her father but the end pretty much clinches it. Stupid explosion stopped Yayaka from confessing and now Cocona is angry at her ;~;

Bases being attacked, floating girls and medical Eyepatches. We Evangelion all over again.

I never knew how much I needed young adult Papika until now. Why do weeks exist.
Dec 11, 2016 9:16 AM

Mar 2015
So Salt is Coconut's dad and Paprika is actually really old?

I'd expect no less from Flip Flappers!

Although I'll have to disagree with the whole "Yayaka was gonna confess" thing. It just doesn't fit from a story perspective. I think she was definitely going to give Coconut the truth about everything she knew, which may have eventually lead into spilling her gay thoughts, but I think it's more likely that she was going to make sure Coconut was aware that Yayaka was on Coconut's side.

Too bad the wonder twins messed everything up D:
Dec 11, 2016 12:45 PM

Jul 2014
I really wasn't a huge fan of Yayaka/Cocona until this latest episode, but I have to admit that I still love Papika and how much she's done to bring Cocona out of her monotony, so I think that really the two of them should just share.

I am curious as to how/why Papika stopped aging, as well as the selection process that she went through, as well as Yayaka's. Is there something different about those children, and what is it? How was it determined? What the end goals for FlipFlap and the interstellar KKK?

Also, side note: the little blue-haired girl who joined the twins is definitely related to Papika in some way. Her mannerisms are far too similar for that not to be true.

Mostly, I just want to know WHAT IS HAPPENING but more importantly WHO WILL COCONA CHOOSE???
"First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!

And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!"
Dec 12, 2016 3:23 PM

Dec 2012
Almost caught up, damn I love this show.

Dec 14, 2016 6:27 AM

May 2014
FlipFlap episode 11 PV
Dec 14, 2016 8:28 AM

Mar 2015
Wrong da tru MVP
Dec 20, 2016 7:11 AM

Apr 2014
Speaking of illusionary worlds, one really screwed up continuation after Ep11 came up in my mind...
Might not fit the exact mechanics of the anime, but hey, you've watched Yuri Kuma so.
w7nDec 20, 2016 7:31 AM
All hail Great Firewall of China.
Dec 20, 2016 3:24 PM

Dec 2010
I've been catching up and I love this show so so so much.
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Dec 21, 2016 3:49 AM

May 2014
Episode 12 PV
Dec 22, 2016 1:20 PM

Mar 2010
Damn, I wanted to watch 1-2 episodes today and then finally start preparing for my finals. After marathoning the entire show in one day, I realised my former plan might not be so manageable. Anyway, I freaking love this anime. Really high quality stuff with yuri vibes all over the place. You don't even need yuri goggles for this. My OTP = Yayaka x Me. :D I would also ship Cocona x Papika but that's too mainstrream and I'm too hipster for that.

Final episode when? Tomorrow will be late.
SuiNoByakkoDec 22, 2016 4:44 PM
Dec 22, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2015
Final episode will be next week. The latest episode came out today. I thought this episode would be the last, but I got it wrong. The ending of the episode confused me greatly because it seemed a little abrupt. Of course, now that I know there's still another episode to go, it's perfectly fine!

I liked the "Boss Rush" feel of this episode, with Mimi calling back familiar places and enemies from previous episodes to fight off once more. Also, Yayaka's Flip Flapping power was awesome (even if the skirt was a little too cutesy for her =P) Dr. Wily- I mean, Mimi awaits! Surely it'll be a breeze with the ability to punch huge monsters into orbit, right?
Dec 23, 2016 7:52 PM

Apr 2014
Thoughts and what I fear most, may be busted a week later:

Ep12 is a mess and feels too damn rushed.
And that all the buildup for Cocona x Papika ends in 'I've loved you ever since you've born'. This doesn't feel like it's talking about love in a romantic sense, but like a parental way. Somehow this reminds me of YamiBou, and that one has a plot on crack like this too.

And then the symbolism. The story so far feels like it's repeating Yuri Kuma Arashi's faults i.e. symbolism VS character traits and development. But YKA still does a MUCH better job than this. Here it's many complex symbols VS simple, tame, and occasionally weird character development.

Now the burden lies on the final episode to bring these all into a grand finale, i.e. explain all important unexplained stuff, and character development. But this is hard:
-What will the next episode be about? Fighting against Mimi (how do you insert more backstories then), or normal development?
-Rush it to explain more, or pace it normally and leave things unexplained?
Dec 24, 2016 1:13 AM

Mar 2010
@w7n For clarification, they keep using "daisuki" which in no way implies romantic interest. They used "suki" (implied romantic interest) only once in the ep where Cocona was looking for Papika in Pure Illusion and she kept changing personality and looks. So yeah, the intentions are questionable though last episode moved PapiCoco more to the friendship territory.

tl;dr YayaCoco FTW
Dec 24, 2016 3:08 AM

May 2014
SuiNoByakko said:

tl;dr YayaCoco FTW

Ye this guy knows
Dec 24, 2016 3:11 AM

Mar 2010
WrongPriest said:
Ye this guy knows

I don't usually ship childhood friend with MC but when I do, it's a badass sexy blonde girl in a yuri ship.
Dec 24, 2016 3:32 AM

Jul 2016

Can't stop the rock.
Dec 28, 2016 6:55 AM

May 2014
Episode 13 PV
Dec 29, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2014

This is not my floof

Yayaka didn't win but I enjoyed it anyway, It tied off most of the threads and gave a satisfying ending. They obviously wanted to do a little more with the Pure illusion within Pure illusion but were strapped for time.

Probably the changing director but it's a shame they couldn't follow up on some of the earlier themes brought out, the show had a lot of charm and subtly but in the that put in a bit of a tricky position for a conclusion.

8/10 I flapped hard.
Dec 29, 2016 8:46 AM

Mar 2015
What teenager names their rabbit after a Swedish Scientist anyway?

Anyway, this was one hell of a ride and I am damn pleased I went on it. One of the most colourful anime I've ever seen with a fantastic soundtrack and lots of quirky characters.

Loved it.
Dec 29, 2016 6:02 PM

Apr 2014
For me, the problem about the show is not about not understanding a single bit. It's about actually getting to grasp the idea, yet still feeling disappointed because of the expectation from the buildup.
AND THAT even the main idea is flawed in the execution since the show leaves the romantic aspect ambiguous throughout the show. (Also Ep12, Papika's so-called confession 'I've loved you ever since you were born' sounds more like a kind of parental affection to me)
And the unexplained stuff. Of course you can find ways to explain them but that would be overinterpretation and doesn't boost the show's score. The last few episodes' pacing already requires ingenious techniques to round it up well, yet the pacing is not even good. (And iirc it has something to do with the same guy who wrote the god-awful Sora no Method???)

Overall good, but not great.
Dec 29, 2016 10:45 PM

Jul 2016
Best girl won - Check

Ending was amazing and well done - Check

No one important died - Check

PapixCoco is confirmed many times over - Check

Nothing more to see here folks. 10/10 across the board.

Dec 30, 2016 12:10 AM

Sep 2015
I love love LOVED this anime, the only thing that I really mind is that there was no PapikaxCocona kiss or some similar level of physical confirmation that it was absolutely romantic (which it totally is anyways). Yes, the conclusion was a bit rushed, but I don't want to complain about it—the joy is in the journey, y'know? And this was surely one hell of a journey.
Dec 30, 2016 6:42 AM

Jul 2014
I think one of the points this anime makes is trying to be as non-sexual as possible (except that hyper-sexual demon girl in the desert). I mean, even Salt and Mimi have a very non-romantic, non-sexual vibe to them (Papika and Mimi seemed more romantic than the two of them), and they had a child together. Not once did we see them kiss on screen, either, and that would have been way more socially acceptable.

I was reading a fan theory that Flip Flappers documented Cocona's journey into her first romantic relationship with a woman and that the show was just choc full of metaphors for it (i.e., Pure Illusion being her and Papika 'creating a world for just the two of them,' Mimi as her mother being torn between wanting her daughter to be happy and wanting what's best for her (like being straight), etc.) The theory has a couple holes, but all in all I like to think that it's fundamentally true at the source.

The only thing that I still don't quite get in Papika's aging process (and if someone has figured that out that would be hella helpful), but I attribute that to the fact that this last episode did feel very rushed. I wouldn't have complained if this was 26 episodes instead of 13. I still feel like I have a lot I want to get to know about the two of them.

I reallyreally enjoyed in though, definitely one of my favorite animes to have watched here in the club.
"First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!

And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!"
Jan 3, 2017 8:43 AM

Mar 2010
anindigomoon said:

The only thing that I still don't quite get in Papika's aging process (and if someone has figured that out that would be hella helpful), but I attribute that to the fact that this last episode did feel very rushed. I wouldn't have complained if this was 26 episodes instead of 13. I still feel like I have a lot I want to get to know about the two of them.

I haven't seen the episode yet but this perfectly fits into the "metaphor for first gay relationship". You know like some relationship feel as if you've known the person forever but you know each other for a few weeks? Well, that would explain why Papika is so young. It might be a metaphor for them being pre-destined to be together. Knowing each other before they were born. Papika uses different name which is often a sign of the person starting life anew (being reborn, you could say). At that point, you have two girls who knew each other before their current self was born.
Jan 3, 2017 12:07 PM

Jul 2016
anindigomoon said:
I think one of the points this anime makes is trying to be as non-sexual as possible (except that hyper-sexual demon girl in the desert). I mean, even Salt and Mimi have a very non-romantic, non-sexual vibe to them (Papika and Mimi seemed more romantic than the two of them), and they had a child together. Not once did we see them kiss on screen, either, and that would have been way more socially acceptable.

I was reading a fan theory that Flip Flappers documented Cocona's journey into her first romantic relationship with a woman and that the show was just choc full of metaphors for it (i.e., Pure Illusion being her and Papika 'creating a world for just the two of them,' Mimi as her mother being torn between wanting her daughter to be happy and wanting what's best for her (like being straight), etc.) The theory has a couple holes, but all in all I like to think that it's fundamentally true at the source.

I reallyreally enjoyed in though, definitely one of my favorite animes to have watched here in the club.

Question : Papika deaging and memory loss?

Papikana ran into a limbo area between PI where the spacetime is so unstable that her memories and age were reset from 19 yo to an infant.

Cocona wandered into the limbo area in her "dreams" and found Papika. They met. Papika remembered Cocona's smell.

It is important to note that Papika regaining memories is a setting in which her age of the mind did not return to the old age of 19 instead her mind was reborn and remembered her previous life. Her feelings and childishness do not go away even after regaining the memories.

Taken from an interview with Oshiyama. Not sure if they're exact translations, but it helps a bit.
Jan 3, 2017 4:22 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
This series was absolutely fantastic. I haven't watched something this good since Yuri Kuma. Just like Yuri Kuma, this wasn't simply a show with yuri in it. It was a show about yuri. The series was a blast from start to finish and was extremely well written. Much like Yuri Kuma, the only real issue was the episode count. 24 episodes would have been absolutely glorious. Even still, this has moved into my top 5 all-time favorite anime. 10/10, (100%)

w7n said:
For me, the problem about the show is not about not understanding a single bit. It's about actually getting to grasp the idea, yet still feeling disappointed because of the expectation from the buildup.
AND THAT even the main idea is flawed in the execution since the show leaves the romantic aspect ambiguous throughout the show. (Also Ep12, Papika's so-called confession 'I've loved you ever since you were born' sounds more like a kind of parental affection to me)
And the unexplained stuff. Of course you can find ways to explain them but that would be overinterpretation and doesn't boost the show's score.

Overall good, but not great.

The show is absolutely about romantic relationships (as well as other things.) You are too focused on Cocona x Papika. The characters in this show are simply a visual representation of the underlying themes. This show isn't about the characters at all. Every character represents something (situations, ideology, cognitive developments, psychology, etc). As far as the, "I've loved you ever since you were born," that statement had nothing to do with a baby being born, so it doesn't represent parental affection at all. This show will never be great for you if you can only watch the surface.
Jan 3, 2017 6:55 PM

Apr 2014
KingYoshi said:

The show is absolutely about romantic relationships (as well as other things.) You are too focused on Cocona x Papika. The characters in this show are simply a visual representation of the underlying themes. This show isn't about the characters at all. Every character represents something (situations, ideology, cognitive developments, psychology, etc). As far as the, "I've loved you ever since you were born," that statement had nothing to do with a baby being born, so it doesn't represent parental affection at all. This show will never be great for you if you can only watch the surface.

I'll elaborate.
Flip Flappers' earlier episodes are done well. The ideas in this show are not hard to get (actually by Ep11 it's all clear), unlike YKA where, to get all the important ideas and symbols you have to dig into it hard. It's not until the last few episodes when the show's problems with the buildup start to show -- almost completely predictable development and about the same old themes, the unexplained stuff and some of the sidekick characters being irrelevant to the development, resulting in a rather disappointing finale. If it were a 2-season show, or say if it were 14-15 episodes and with the same scriptwriter(??) as the earlier episodes, it would have been better.

For the romantic aspect with the MC: Cocona's development is done in several ways, one of the main ideas is about breaking free and being able to make her own decisions (also one of the main ideas throughout the show), while another, somewhat of a fan theory, is about getting to understand herself and face her affections. But with the yuri left ambiguous (mainly, the context of 'suki') even at the end, both these ideas' executions, especially the latter, seem to miss something.

The reason that people enjoy YKA (or Flip Flappers) can be the same reason others don't enjoy it and not just because 'they don't enjoy it because they're shallow'. What's deeper than Yuri Kuma Arashi? University textbooks. Try making an anime about that.
Sure, YKA does a very good job on the symbolism, and to me the ups weigh over the downs, but the problem is, exactly, about the 'representation of symbols' thing -- that some characters look like pure representations of symbols instead of looking 'human', plus the mindscrew(sometimes even intentional for no purpose) storytelling, can be unappealing. (The novel Notre Dame de Paris is an example of a much better usage of symbolism.)
Flip Flappers has this problem to a lesser degree, and more people would find the enjoyment factor higher; the main problem with Flip Flappers to me, as stated above, is the finale.

Again, Flip Flappers is a good show for me, personally it has a lower score than YKA but a higher enjoyment factor than that.
I don't watch a show just because it has symbolism (but more about whether it conveys the ideas well), and not many people do. If you do, it's your own business.
Jan 3, 2017 10:35 PM

Jul 2016
"For the romantic aspect with the MC: Cocona's development is done in several ways, one of the main ideas is about breaking free and being able to make her own decisions (also one of the main ideas throughout the show), while another, somewhat of a fan theory, is about getting to understand herself and face her affections. But with the yuri left ambiguous (mainly, the context of 'suki') even at the end, both these ideas' executions, especially the latter, seem to miss something."

The problem with your justification for the "lack of real romance" is just wrong. It's not ambiguous in the slightest. Cocona loves Papika on a much deeper level. Episode 7 dealt with the difference between love in both senses *Friend / Romantic*

It's clear that Cocona has dealt with the thought or difference between Friend or Lover.

The rest of your points seem too jaded to answer, but to say this show was left "ambiguous" is just wrong.
Jan 4, 2017 2:11 AM

Apr 2014
And this begs the question:
As we know, Cocona did confess to Papika in the last ep, about her, uh... 'suki'. And can her confession be unmistakably recognised as a confession of romantic love by the Tennen-boke Papika or an outsider, if without knowing Cocona's true feelings shown in Ep07?
I guess not.
This probably has something to do with translation: typically English subs would translate '好き' as 'love', but what is actually closer to the English 'I love you' (romantic) is 愛してる(Note: This is sometimes overly-dramatic but is indeed closer). The 'it has to be you' doesn't help either, it only works if you have yuri goggles on, but it's also plausible in other explanations.

What this confession resulted in is Cocona & Papika's relationship not stepping up much, since Cocona's confession hasn't made her point clear. It's up to the viewers to hope/pray/assume that Cocona will one day make this point clear, but that's doubtful.

This part of storyline is completely plausible, since that's what A LOT of real life lesbians face when they struggle to show their affections towards their friends.
However, with one of the anime's main themes about breaking free, this part is a disappointment since in this way Cocona hasn't really broken free, yet.

A fanfic idea can be based on this in a YKA-ish way, showing Cocona's romantic feelings not being accepted by either Papika(likely initially if going the yuri route) or society or both, and she struggles between facing the reality world and resorting to use PI's power.

(It's been a while and I don't remember every detail so I have to keep checking the sources. Last post on this since I'm not unoccupied at the moment.)
w7nJan 4, 2017 2:40 AM
Jan 4, 2017 3:10 AM

Jul 2016
I feel the SAME

I LOVE you

It absolutely HAS to be you.

There's really no getting around those lines. You do not just throw that out for no reason.

Honestly there's really no use trying to convince someone who is so opposed to seeing the truth, and who needs the characters to be making love on screen to confirm their feelings.

Jan 4, 2017 3:43 AM

Apr 2014
If you can define what truth is, so can I. In that case there's no point in arguing and I interpret it the same way as some in a yuri discussion forum who watched the Chinese subs (which are much more accurate in wording 'suki') do.

And you don't need an image which tosses out so many 'love' words, unless you want to pretend that the word 'suki' in Japanese is totally the same as 'love' in English. Subs always translate in this way and it's been already stated countless times.
w7nJan 4, 2017 4:25 AM
Jan 4, 2017 6:53 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
w7n said:

I'll elaborate.
Flip Flappers' earlier episodes are done well. The ideas in this show are not hard to get (actually by Ep11 it's all clear), unlike YKA where, to get all the important ideas and symbols you have to dig into it hard.

And yet, you think the yuri is ambiguous.
Jan 4, 2017 8:59 AM

Mar 2010
w7n said:

And you don't need an image which tosses out so many 'love' words, unless you want to pretend that the word 'suki' in Japanese is totally the same as 'love' in English. Subs always translate in this way and it's been already stated countless times.

Culturally, it is. Japanese don't use aishiteru much and usually only adults do. Japanese are very private with their emotions and affection and they prefer to tone it down in public. Suki is culturally considered romantic depending on the circumstances. Aishiteru is very rare even among adults and no kid would use it to describe romantic feelings. But then again, I'm yet to hear Japanese using suki in a non romantic way between non-family members. They prefer using daisuki for that because culturally, daisuki means like. Don't forget that we are talking about a language that doesn't have any OWN words for kissing.

I finally watched the finale. It was fun and everything was tied nicely. The worse girl won though, which is disappointing but predictable. I really liked how metaphoric this was, it really surprised me with its quality. Yuri could have been less ambiguous... but beggars can't be choosers. 9/10
Mar 28, 2017 12:01 AM

Sep 2015
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/FlipFlappers

Just for whoever might happen to visit here again.
Apr 2, 2017 5:13 AM

Jun 2016
I miss this show already. ;_;
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Happy Sugar Life discussion

Lilac_warrior - Mar 22, 2018

12 by LalaYuriLove »»
Apr 19, 2023 2:41 AM

» Best yuri couple of all time???

Lilac_warrior - Mar 24, 2018

22 by TanyaTheEvill »»
Feb 10, 2022 9:07 AM

» Deleting my account.

removed-user - Nov 14, 2021

1 by Sabishii-Luisana »»
Nov 14, 2021 3:47 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SuiNoByakko - Jul 17, 2014

523 by kenchin01 »»
Sep 14, 2021 1:46 AM

» Yuru Yuri ~ Holiday

EmceePinks - Oct 30, 2018

0 by EmceePinks »»
Oct 30, 2018 3:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.