Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 29, 3:33 PM

Aug 2021
Is there confirmation about the frieren author's gender? This might be silly question but there is definitely something different about shonen manga written by a woman.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 3:37 PM

Jan 2019
Demon Slayer written by woman, but females of Demon Slayer is nothing but sex appeal.

Fullmetal Alchemist written by woman.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Mar 29, 3:42 PM
Sep 2022
Okeanix said:
Demon Slayer written by woman, but females of Demon Slayer is nothing but sex appeal.

what the fuck are you talking about?
gotouge is a croccodile
Mar 29, 3:44 PM
Sep 2016
The person that draws frieren is a woman, but the writer is unknown i believe
Mar 29, 3:45 PM
Jan 2024
People would like to think yes, mainly due to the rise of people saying things like that on TikTok. But honestly there is just as much fan service in anime written by women as there is men . The funny thing about Fan service is when it’s not there you don’t notice it’s missing but when it’s there it’s all people talk about
Mar 29, 3:46 PM
Jan 2021
ngl I was thinking it was too well done (not actually, but just not sexist or sexualized, very character driven without too harsh of cliches (or plays with cliches), very well written, and has female protagonists) to be written by a male shonen author so I looked it up, but I couldn't find anything.
To be fair it could also be a dude who's just more chill than most other *shonen* Mangaka's, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a woman.
Although like the other guy said, there's other manga written by women that aren't any of what I listed so I also wouldn't be too shocked if it was just a dude who understands people/emotions and isn't horny or having power fantasies all the time

The artist is female though
SoulessAnimeMar 30, 7:16 AM
Mar 29, 3:48 PM
Apr 2019
This is a silly question. You are doing "confirmation bias"
Mar 29, 3:55 PM

Nov 2019
What about the dumpster fire manga Domestic Girlfriend? Written by Sasuga Kei and serialized in Weekly Shounen magazine.

A manga written by a woman is surely something.
KushnaMar 29, 4:01 PM
Mar 29, 4:04 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to Kushna
What about the dumpster fire manga Domestic Girlfriend? Written by Sasuga Kei and serialized in Weekly Shounen magazine.

@Kushna It's almost like soap opera, lol. It's quite progressive show for a shounen demographic
Mar 29, 4:12 PM

Sep 2018
If the creator choses to be anon they are likely a man. The character of Eisen and Ubel are the biggest giveaways. Women generally would likely not write a dwarf at all. The amount of prettyboys definitely show the females artists influence though.
Big giveaways though is the elf Mc. Women generally never do the thousand Year loli topics and more shounen battle topics. Males tend to largely write for the fantasy genre.
rohan121Mar 29, 4:17 PM
Mar 29, 4:12 PM
May 2022
Okeanix said:

There is still no confirmation whatsoever that the mangaka for demon slayer is a woman. Only rumours
Mar 29, 4:28 PM
Jan 2021
rohan121 said:
If the creator choses to be anon they are likely a man. The character of Eisen and Ubel are the biggest giveaways. Women generally would likely not write a dwarf at all. The amount of prettyboys definitely show the females artists influence though.
Big giveaways though is the elf Mc. Women generally never do the thousand Year loli topics and more shounen battle topics. Males tend to largely write for the fantasy genre.

I would like to counter the idea of women not writing dwarves by bringing up Dungeon Meshi which is another great, and even more subversive, shonen series (that one is written by a woman)

That series also has a female elf MC and similarly to Frieren has almost no fan service (I guess one could argue Marcille is less "Loli" than Frieren, to me Marcille looks early 20s while Frieren's age is much more ambiguous in either direction. I definitely wouldn't say Frieren is a Loli though, she's petite, but doesn't look or act like a kid)
SoulessAnimeMar 29, 8:16 PM
Mar 29, 4:39 PM

Jul 2021
86 was written by a woman. Something that I would never have believed until I found out.

What I mean to say is that the sex of the author probably has very little to do with the nature and details of the story. I couldn't tell you from the top of my head but if you look up shounen and seinen written by women, and shoujo written by men, a lot of stuff will pop up.
Mar 29, 4:42 PM
Aug 2021
Kushna said:

Women are just goated when it comes to manga :)
Mar 29, 4:57 PM
Nov 2016
I don't know the gender of the mangaka but if I have to guess, I'll say it's female, why? because this anime has no ecchi stuff and it's kinda rare to see an anime without some sort of ecchi in it, unless you are a male trying to please the horny viewers and that's typically what male mangakas do because they are somewhat horny too.
Mar 29, 5:15 PM
Aug 2019
MavenTails said:
People would like to think yes, mainly due to the rise of people saying things like that on TikTok. But honestly there is just as much fan service in anime written by women as there is men . The funny thing about Fan service is when it’s not there you don’t notice it’s missing but when it’s there it’s all people talk about

Right?! Isn’t Dress-up Darling drawn and written by a women? The fanservice in that series is redonkulous 😵‍💫
Mar 29, 5:38 PM

Apr 2022
Does it even matter?
Mar 29, 5:47 PM
Jul 2022
i assume the mangakas name isn't their real name as mangaka love to stay anonymous. but if the name they chose to use publicly were to match their gender then they would probably be male. kanehito is a predominantly male name. predominantly doesnt mean completely though, and when i search up the mangakas name I see a photo of an asian woman. though theres not much information surrounding that photo, nor are there any other photos, so its hard to say if its really them or not. so basically i dont know. you're welcome.
Mar 29, 5:57 PM

Sep 2012
ghier said:
MavenTails said:

Right?! Isn’t Dress-up Darling drawn and written by a women? The fanservice in that series is redonkulous 😵‍💫

Yup, as is couple of cuckoos. There’s a ton of women-written manga full of fanservice.

In reality it doesn’t matter what gender the mangaka is regarding the subject or style of a manga; it’s just what’s good is good and what’s not good is not good. Simple as that.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Mar 29, 6:11 PM
Jun 2023
Okeanix said:

The fact its true is funny to me and i love it at the same time 🤭
Mar 29, 6:12 PM
Jun 2023
The author is clearly female 😵‍💫
Mar 29, 8:19 PM
Jan 2021
PunGood020 said:
The author is clearly female 😵‍💫

that's technically the artist not author. The author uses that little mustache figure as representation (kinda like how Oda uses a fish and Akutami uses a little cat)

Not to diminish the work of the artist, she does a great job, but in this case OP was just referring to the author because that information isn't available by googling so they were hoping someone would know from some other way
Mar 29, 10:10 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to xZabuzax
I don't know the gender of the mangaka but if I have to guess, I'll say it's female, why? because this anime has no ecchi stuff and it's kinda rare to see an anime without some sort of ecchi in it, unless you are a male trying to please the horny viewers and that's typically what male mangakas do because they are somewhat horny too.
@xZabuzax
It's probably your bias
There are many manga works that cannot be made into anime due to restrictions on sexual depictions.
A group of works called ``ladies' manga'' written by female authors and aimed at female readers.

never search
Mar 29, 11:19 PM

Aug 2020
I thought we moved past the 20th century where women's rights were becoming the norm.
Keep scrolling
Mar 29, 11:27 PM
Jan 2023
To quote a wise man:

"Simple. Google it and fuck off NOW"
Mar 30, 12:15 AM

Sep 2020
I don't know about this one but Domestic Girlfriend and Scum's Wish authors are Women.
Mar 30, 2:05 AM
Dec 2018
If I may open it Kanehito is a male name.

But

1) What difference is there between a female and a male writer? Males are rough and female are soft and gentle? Lord Byron is a male. Jane Austen is a female. That's blant and pointless sexism.

2) Frieren is nice story and told in a good way but looking at it I see all the things that works good in the industry. Frieren was tailored to fit the industry and if such an industry is dominated by men then why would a story tailored to that kind of industry being seen as wrote by a woman. (Assuming gender of the author has any kind of influence on the final work)

3) Isn't that some kind of failed (cuz as I said in 1 the arguments are actually sexist) failed feminism? Frieren did good was ranked first (personnaly I rated it 10 but my average rating is around 8 so I tend to rate high) so some weird groups might be willing to appropriate it to themselves.
Mar 30, 2:40 AM

Apr 2015
Yamada Kanehito's gender is unknown but on their JP wikipedia you can see that they used to be Kami Nomizo Shiru Sekai's author (Wakaki Tamiki)'s assistant who refers to Yamada as a man. It isn't a confirmation but it's one of the few times I've seen something about Yamada online.

And the other few times he mentions Yamada's name in his blog/twitter he calls them "Yamada-kun" (I know it can be used for women too)
ZeroMavisMar 30, 5:24 AM
Mar 30, 4:06 AM

Sep 2016
Going by gut feeling I reckon that Frieren's author is probably female.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 30, 5:48 AM
Nov 2019
I've discussed it in the FB Group.
I assume author of Frieren's story is a man and illustrator/mangaka is a woman.
Because I've seen the illustrator Frieren on YouTube and it's clear the hands and long hair of the woman wearing glasses.
And fact Author and Illustrator Frieren never met during the process of creating the manga.
Mar 30, 6:20 AM

May 2021
Reply to Okeanix

@Okeanix obviosly said by someone who's never watched/read Demon Slayer
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 30, 6:23 AM

May 2021
Sanjay63773 said:
Is there confirmation about the frieren author's gender? This might be silly question but there is definitely something different about shonen manga written by a woman

Kanehito Yamada's mascot is a square with a mustach https://myanimelist.net/people/23829/Kanehito_Yamada

So if the mascot is suppost to be Kanehito then he's a dude
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 30, 6:23 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to DigiCat
@Okeanix obviosly said by someone who's never watched/read Demon Slayer
@DigiCat I completed the manga 4 years ago, WDYM?

Mar 30, 6:24 AM

May 2021
Reply to Okeanix
@DigiCat I completed the manga 4 years ago, WDYM?
@Okeanix Without paying any attention to it i guess...
Mar 30, 6:27 AM

May 2021
Reply to SoulessAnime
ngl I was thinking it was too well done (not actually, but just not sexist or sexualized, very character driven without too harsh of cliches (or plays with cliches), very well written, and has female protagonists) to be written by a male shonen author so I looked it up, but I couldn't find anything.
To be fair it could also be a dude who's just more chill than most other *shonen* Mangaka's, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a woman.
Although like the other guy said, there's other manga written by women that aren't any of what I listed so I also wouldn't be too shocked if it was just a dude who understands people/emotions and isn't horny or having power fantasies all the time

The artist is female though
SoulessAnime said:
I was thinking it was too well done ... to be written by a male shonen author

Complains about anime/manga being sexist while saying the most sexist thing imaginable
Mar 30, 6:36 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to DigiCat
@Okeanix Without paying any attention to it i guess...
@DigiCat Paying attention to Demon Slayer? It's too deep for me .s .s

Additionally, you rated Demon Slayer, Tokyo Revengers, Sword Art Online, and My Hero Academia with perfect scores of 10/10.

Perhaps you are the one who should pay attention to the crap of what you watch.
OkeanixMar 30, 6:40 AM

Mar 30, 6:51 AM

Apr 2019
I think the writer might be a male tbh. Frieren just does not feel like a female character written by a women. She is created to be way too perfect. I think if a female writer wrote Frieren she would be a more flawed character.
Mar 30, 7:02 AM

Mar 2017
Frieren is very clearly written by the Buddha and afaik the Buddha is a man
Mar 30, 7:03 AM

Jan 2009
inb4 sexism comments
Mar 30, 7:15 AM
Jan 2021
DigiCat said:
SoulessAnime said:

Complains about anime/manga being sexist while saying the most sexist thing imaginable

Quotes out of context go crazy, but anyway I think we should have a worldwide culling to eliminate all men. Hope that raised your imagination :)
SoulessAnimeMar 30, 10:44 AM
Mar 30, 7:34 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Todday
This is a silly question. You are doing "confirmation bias"
@Todday

You're new to Sanjay-Threads, I guess xD
He just makes these for the sake of it. Don't take it seriously.
Mar 30, 9:17 AM

Jun 2016
His name's Jim and he's from Wisconsin.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 30, 10:02 AM

May 2021
Reply to SoulessAnime
DigiCat said:
SoulessAnime said:

Quotes out of context go crazy, but anyway I think we should have a worldwide culling to eliminate all men. Hope that raised your imagination :)
@SoulessAnime Great... good to know you're for the extinction of the human race 🤦
Mar 30, 10:38 AM
Jan 2021
DigiCat said:
@SoulessAnime Great... good to know you're for the extinction of the human race 🤦

Sure am (character limit)
Mar 30, 11:16 AM
Jul 2023
SoulessAnime said:
DigiCat said:

Average female anime fan
Mar 30, 11:25 AM
Jan 2021
Bolona07 said:
SoulessAnime said:

Average female anime fan

does this count as soliciting a dick pic from me?
Mar 30, 12:04 PM

Sep 2013
Reply to MavenTails
@MavenTails when I vacationed in Japan there was gravure out in the open at 7/11s, etc. At the top floor of anime stores I tended to see hentai openly laying out. Beer was in several vending machines that a 5 year old could walk up to and grab if he had a few coins on him.

It's just in their culture to be more openly sexual (and after work, drunk) outside of work hours and interactions with strangers in society. People don't really seem to get this and apply their Western values to non-Western people. It's no wonder anime tends to be so controversial; people are just too close-minded and can't look through someone else's eyes for the life of them.
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
Join Me, Pawns!
Mar 30, 1:33 PM
Aug 2021
This might surprise you, but women can be equally as horny as men. When it comes to illustrators, in the horny realm, women tend to have an edge because they have instant access to real-life reference, as some artists are well known to do so. So, these nuances are more nuanced than you'd think and are more related to the time period during which a series was written. It is useless to project our western expectations on Japanese authorship and intentions as well, since they operate on a different cultural headspace. There are more fanservicey shows and manga done or headed by women than you'd think, and any digging would instantly disprove your assessment of the perceived differences. In the end, it all comes down to the individual.
Mar 30, 6:57 PM

Oct 2010
Sanjay63773 said:
Is there confirmation about the frieren author's gender? This might be silly question but there is definitely something different about shonen manga written by a woman.

Frieren is not Shounen regardless
"Do you want me to take you away... to a place in this city where wishes come true?"
Mar 30, 8:07 PM

Dec 2007
Reply to DarttheLegend
Sanjay63773 said:

Frieren is not Shounen regardless
@DarttheLegend It has to be, it's serialized in Weekly Shōnen Sunday.

Such is life...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
10 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Today, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.