Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 29, 2023 6:55 AM
Jun 2021
So it's just my opinion but i feel like both the movies since your name has gone down in quality, ofc the animation and all are incredible but they just feel like some big budget formulaic romantic adventure ride which I will forget about the very next day , it doesn't feel like 5cm per second or garden of words or Your Name. Maybe it's just a me problem idk
Dec 29, 2023 7:06 AM
May 2016
I personally prefer Tenki no Ko.
And if I remember correctly, Shinkai wanted Suzume no Tojimari to be a lesbian romance, but the producer said no to his request/idea.
Dec 29, 2023 7:13 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ktg
And if I remember correctly, Shinkai wanted Suzume no Tojimari to be a lesbian romance, but the producer said no to his request/idea.
@ktg Not as much as he wanted, but as much as he offered during the draft, because he was tired of the idea that romance in his films was somewhat monotonous and had outlived its usefulness. But the producer said that this is not what his target audience expects from him. Shinkai himself has said that he generally doesn't want to make romantic films again. Anyway, judging by the wording "sister type romance", it would rather be something vaguely subtle and ambiguous in the style of Class S.
Dec 29, 2023 7:25 AM
Dec 2022
adharshcs said:
So it's just my opinion but i feel like both the movies since your name has gone down in quality, ofc the animation and all are incredible but they just feel like some big budget formulaic romantic adventure ride which I will forget about the very next day , it doesn't feel like 5cm per second or garden of words or Your Name. Maybe it's just a me problem idk

its a you problem my friend. simple.
Dec 29, 2023 7:29 AM
May 2016
RobertBobert said:
@ktg Not as much as he wanted, but as much as he offered during the draft, because he was tired of the idea that romance in his films was somewhat monotonous and had outlived its usefulness. But the producer said that this is not what his target audience expects from him. Shinkai himself has said that he generally doesn't want to make romantic films again. Anyway, judging by the wording "sister type romance", it would rather be something vaguely subtle and ambiguous in the style of Class S.

If you offer something else, because you are bored of the old stuff, then you want something else. People don't want to do boring things, because it's boring.
Dec 29, 2023 7:30 AM

Jul 2023
Masterpiece, but I want to eat your pancreas is the top goat
Dec 29, 2023 7:32 AM
Mar 2023
Tenki no ko is also very great(for me better characters than your name), but your name is just one
Dec 29, 2023 7:32 AM

Dec 2021
This is his only good work. Everything else is shit
Dec 29, 2023 7:34 AM
Aug 2020
it's a very good movie but it's definitely lightning in a bottle. every movie before and after he's made feels like it's trying to replicate it
Dec 29, 2023 7:34 AM
Aug 2020
Dracus3 said:

nah Pancreas is boring as hell. just crybait melodrama
Dec 29, 2023 7:35 AM

Jul 2023
ratliker63 said:
Dracus3 said:

Nonono. it's a masterpiece
Dec 29, 2023 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ktg
RobertBobert said:

If you offer something else, because you are bored of the old stuff, then you want something else. People don't want to do boring things, because it's boring.
@ktg Nobody said anything about boredom. He wanted to cut off any romance (he decided that he had expressed everything he could in his romantic plots up to this point), but since the producer insisted on it, at some point he suggested a lesbian romance and after producer completely refusing to somehow change the formula, he decided to reduce the focus on romance in the anime altogether. At least that's how he explained working on the film.
Dec 29, 2023 7:46 AM
Aug 2020
Dracus3 said:
ratliker63 said:

people only say that because it made them cry. the story is nothing
Dec 29, 2023 7:47 AM
May 2016
RobertBobert said:
@ktg Nobody said anything about boredom. He wanted to cut off any romance (he decided that he had expressed everything he could in his romantic plots up to this point), but since the producer insisted on it, at some point he suggested a lesbian romance and after producer completely refusing to somehow change the formula, he decided to reduce the focus on romance in the anime altogether. At least that's how he explained working on the film.

Synonyms of "tired of": bored of, but nice try.
So yes, you said that.
Dec 29, 2023 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ktg
RobertBobert said:

Synonyms of "tired of": bored of, but nice try.
So yes, you said that.
@ktg I have no desire to start off-topic here because of someone’s games with words. Goodbye.
RobertBobertDec 29, 2023 8:05 AM
Dec 29, 2023 7:50 AM
Oct 2020
I personally like them all, older or newer, 5 cm per second is great, probably my favorite of his movies, but I also really love weathering with you, he is just a great director, but it was sad to read in an above post how the producers make him do something even tho it's not what he wanted, I personally feel directors and writers should be able to fulfill their vision instead of being under corporate pressure
Dec 29, 2023 7:51 AM
Mar 2021
In my opinion, its because Your name/Kimi no nawa is the new standard for "Makoto shinkai's movies", but then he created a similar story and got downfall (comparing the MAL's rating of Kimi no nawa's to Tenki no ko-Suzume's). He repeated the similar kind of plot and premise for Tenki no ko and Suzume.

Both are good tho for me, but nothing special.
rakhahaykalDec 29, 2023 7:58 AM
Dec 29, 2023 7:53 AM
Nov 2017
I still watch Your Name when im going to eat and dont know what to watch, its that good for me.
I hope he make bittersweet story more like Garden of Words.
I dont like 5cm per Second, though. The scene exposition and unlikeable character throw me off. The music and voice acting not that great either.
Weathering With You, that ending ruin everything in my opinion. I thought it will be more impactful if it end with sad ending.
Dec 29, 2023 8:17 AM
Mar 2013
mediocre at best without the good visuals. i personally find 5cm to be their best work, although it still falls short from being great
Dec 29, 2023 8:23 AM

Jul 2023
ratliker63 said:
Dracus3 said:

I don't agree. He was loved for the first time by her, and she loved him even though she didn't knew him at all. And when he started loving her, she got killed. She still had some days left. She knew exactly what would happen after her death.
Oh and also, I kinda have a thing for Byoukidere characters.
Dec 29, 2023 8:45 AM
Wannabe Idol ✌ ♥

Jan 2018
I completely agree. His previous works all had a common theme, romances fatalized by some outside force. (Distance, age gap, literal space war, etc.) But they still all felt distinct from each other. After Your Name they’ve all felt monotonous. Tenki no Ko and Suzume were still good, but they all feel like they were painted with the same palette. Your Name is his best work but it seems he’s now trapped trying to replicate its success.

Did you hear me?
I said I'm gonna do my best!!
Dec 29, 2023 8:50 AM

Feb 2016
adharshcs said:

I felt the same way. I haven’t watched the new one yet, but Weathering With You was more so average or good in comparison to Your Name.
Dec 29, 2023 8:53 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ricejelly
I completely agree. His previous works all had a common theme, romances fatalized by some outside force. (Distance, age gap, literal space war, etc.) But they still all felt distinct from each other. After Your Name they’ve all felt monotonous. Tenki no Ko and Suzume were still good, but they all feel like they were painted with the same palette. Your Name is his best work but it seems he’s now trapped trying to replicate its success.
@ricejelly I feel like he just burned out due to people's high expectations because after Your Name he became known all over the world and not just among his traditional fans. I mean, he's tried to stop making comparisons to Miyazaki or stop making the same boy-meets-girl in different settings, but people and producers still expect "a new melodramatic masterpiece from Miyazaki's disciple." Also add pressure from people transferring the film's hype onto himself, either claiming that he "wasn't the same" due to the film's popularity or that he and the anime were overrated as a writer and film due to aversion to the hype.
Dec 29, 2023 9:11 AM
Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
@ricejelly I feel like he just burned out due to people's high expectations because after Your Name he became known all over the world and not just among his traditional fans. I mean, he's tried to stop making comparisons to Miyazaki or stop making the same boy-meets-girl in different settings, but people and producers still expect "a new melodramatic masterpiece from Miyazaki's disciple." Also add pressure from people transferring the film's hype onto himself, either claiming that he "wasn't the same" due to the film's popularity or that he and the anime were overrated as a writer and film due to aversion to the hype.

have people really compared him to Miyazaki?? the difference between them is massive
Dec 29, 2023 9:12 AM
Jul 2023
Rishon007 said:

Suzume isn't, at the very least
Some say that his other works are better
Some say they are not
It's a matter of personal opinion
IMO all of Shinkai's works are 9 or 10( I am not biased and that is the general opinion)
Dec 29, 2023 9:12 AM
Aug 2020
Dracus3 said:
ratliker63 said:

I don't agree. He was loved for the first time by her, and she loved him even though she didn't knew him at all. And when he started loving her, she got killed. She still had some days left. She knew exactly what would happen after her death.

well you are 15 so that explains it. you're the target audience
Dec 29, 2023 9:13 AM
Aug 2020
Mardhav_2007 said:
Rishon007 said:

Some say they are not
IMO all of Shinkai's works are 9 or 10( I am not biased and that is the general opinion)

none of them are anywhere close to a 10 lol. that's not the general opinion
Dec 29, 2023 9:16 AM
Sep 2023
Personally I love your name but Makoto Shinkai actually said that he didn’t like it because he wanted to have more time to make it still great movie.

Dec 2021
ratliker63 said:
Dracus3 said:

Why tag me when you yourself said it's a matter of personal opinion?

And no, it's not a general opinion to say all his works are 9-10. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Apr 2012
Reply to ratliker63
RobertBobert said:

have people really compared him to Miyazaki?? the difference between them is massive
@ratliker63 I don't know if you've been following the press, but somewhere in the first months or even a year after the premiere, journalists and normies were literally obsessed with the "Shinkai new Miyazaki" take. This irritated the director himself very much and he repeatedly asked people to stop doing this. Even saying that he himself considers the film to be overrated and he is scared/embarrassed by such hype around the film. Someone even spread rumors that the Ghibli were going to hire him https://sojapan.jp/2016/10/makoto-shinkai-denies-rumors-going-work-ghibli/
Dec 29, 2023 9:17 AM
Jul 2023
ratliker63 said:
Mardhav_2007 said:

Some say they are not

none of them are anywhere close to a 10 lol. that's not the general opinion

You do you my friend
I will not agree not disagree
I respect your freedom
If you think shit then be it
Others may agree or disagree
I mean I don't really like Re:Zero but I watched it without any complaints and I expect something like that from all of you
But if you really need to speak then go

I agree that 9 or 10 is a bit of an exaggeration but I like Romance
I just realised that you like rats from your username
I hate them
so opinions may differ or I may be misinterpreting your username
Mardhav_2007Dec 29, 2023 9:21 AM
Dec 29, 2023 9:21 AM
Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
@ratliker63 I don't know if you've been following the press, but somewhere in the first months or even a year after the premiere, journalists and normies were literally obsessed with the "Shinkai new Miyazaki" take. This irritated the director himself very much and he repeatedly asked people to stop doing this. Even saying that he himself considers the film to be overrated and he is scared/embarrassed by such hype around the film. Someone even spread rumors that the Ghibli were going to hire him https://sojapan.jp/2016/10/makoto-shinkai-denies-rumors-going-work-ghibli/

I missed that, I wasn't really following anime when the movie came out. still, that's wild. your name is good but nowhere on Ghibli's level. in terms of animation, story, music, it's just not comparable. normies will really watch one decent movie and think it's the second coming of Christ.
Dec 29, 2023 9:26 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ratliker63
RobertBobert said:

I missed that, I wasn't really following anime when the movie came out. still, that's wild. your name is good but nowhere on Ghibli's level. in terms of animation, story, music, it's just not comparable. normies will really watch one decent movie and think it's the second coming of Christ.
@ratliker63 One way or another, this especially irritated Shinkai, since he himself is a big fan of Miyazaki and the idea that he was an objective successor to the master greatly embarrassed him.
Dec 29, 2023 9:26 AM
May 2021
ktg said:

Makes sense why Souta is a nothing character then!
YO!
Dec 29, 2023 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to AraumC
ktg said:

Makes sense why Souta is a nothing character then!
@AraumC He is not an insignificant character, Shinkai can give you a whole lecture about the meaning and metaphors of the character in the film.
Dec 29, 2023 11:13 AM
May 2016
RobertBobert said:
@ktg I have no desire to start off-topic here because of someone’s games with words. Goodbye.

Lol, you started this, kiddo. You asked about who said anything about being bored. You did. Not knowing the definition tells me everything about you, because it's a basic synonym in English.
Dec 29, 2023 11:18 AM
Jun 2021
adharshcs said:

I think Weathering with you was good. Suzume was eh. I put Your Name and Weathering with You as my top 2. 5cm per second was good but the I only cared about the first short film
Dec 29, 2023 11:19 AM
Jun 2023
I disagree imo the 3 are absolute masterpieces
Dec 29, 2023 11:48 AM
May 2021
RobertBobert said:
@AraumC He is not an insignificant character, Shinkai can give you a whole lecture about the meaning and metaphors of the character in the film.

He’s not insignificant, he just lacks personality. Souta is more plot device than character.
YO!
Dec 29, 2023 11:50 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to AraumC
RobertBobert said:

He’s not insignificant, he just lacks personality. Souta is more plot device than character.
@AraumC He has enough personality for his role in the plot. Basically only the girl is the main character since Shinkai didn't want it to have romance in the first place.
Dec 29, 2023 12:24 PM
Jul 2021
Arigato gozaimashten
Dec 29, 2023 2:59 PM
Jul 2021
I think suzume is better
Dec 29, 2023 4:35 PM

Apr 2016
Makoto Shinkai has been always talked about the distance as something stronger than humans. Even if there is love, distance is an unbeatable obstacle.

That changed in Your Name, that basically told us that love can beat the distance. That's why that film was so different from previous ones.

If you like the realistic sadness of the first theme, you will like previous movies the most. Otherwise, you'll probably like Your Name and his next filmes over the first ones.
Dec 30, 2023 12:01 AM

Jul 2023
ratliker63 said:
Dracus3 said:

yep, that explains it
Dec 30, 2023 11:37 PM

Jun 2014
Yes, it brought him fame and prestige but it severely limited what he's "allowed" to do now. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon story e.g. also happens to musicians, actors, writers, etc.

5 Centimeters Per Second still by far his best work to date.
Dec 31, 2023 1:21 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to ktg
Well I only liked and defend it because I have sentimental feelings about it. If I don't have it, I would totally bash Your Name just like Weathering with You and Suzume.

ktg said:

If that's true, then no wonder why Souta has long hair and pretty face, lol.
Dec 31, 2023 12:42 PM
May 2021
Well I like Your Name and also his older work but Weathering With You didn't really stick onto me as much. It just felt like Your Name again but with a slightly different twist.
Jan 2, 1:22 PM
Jun 2022
i understand what you are saying.
To me, your name is the best piece of media EVER, and the closest thing to perfection i have ever seen. I dont think someone will ever create anything that gets even close to it, not even shinkai, and because of that, we will always hear the phrase "it is okay, but your name is better".

I think this is similar to heath leadger's joker. A superhero movie can be the best of the genre, but the comparison will arise: "the acting is great, but heath ledger is better".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1391 by atroxeus »»
9 hours ago

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

» How? ( 1 2 )

phantomgamer098 - Jul 18, 2023

50 by cl3dson »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.