Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2014 12:38 AM

May 2012
Is this technique new? I think it's the first time I've heard of it. I'm kinda updated with the manga so I'm quite sure it's new :)) Or did I just forget about it?
Sep 1, 2014 1:10 AM

Nov 2010
If I am correct, he did a similar attack (In the anime) when he was fighting Hody J..
Sep 1, 2014 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
He used it against Hody Jones in the series, but this is the "first" time he used/discovered it.
Sep 1, 2014 3:27 AM

Jun 2010
Honestly the bigger question is how does he set it on fire, same with his G3 Thor technique which uses electricity. One Piece for the most part does a pretty damn good job of being consistent within its universe but using elemental stuff was never explained, could be Haki but then why isn't universal to everyone. I mean they explained G2 as some sort of doping technique by pumping blood I can believe that and G3 Luffy was always using an amateur version with gomu gomu no fuusen and it developed into G3 but I was kinda hoping to see an explanation for Red Hawk when I saw Red Hawk used in 3D2Y.
Sep 1, 2014 4:34 AM

Mar 2008
Humza_96 said:
tittycakesXD said:
Honestly the bigger question is how does he set it on fire, same with his G3 Thor technique which uses electricity. One Piece for the most part does a pretty damn good job of being consistent within its universe but using elemental stuff was never explained, could be Haki but then why isn't universal to everyone. I mean they explained G2 as some sort of doping technique by pumping blood I can believe that and G3 Luffy was always using an amateur version with gomu gomu no fuusen and it developed into G3 but I was kinda hoping to see an explanation for Red Hawk when I saw Red Hawk used in 3D2Y.

I think the Thor electricity one was because of the weather. He lifted his leg into the clouds when there was lightning, so that's sort of explained.

As for Red Hawk I have no idea how that's explained. But Sanji does the same thing, how the fk does Sanji set his leg on fire? It looks as hot as Akainu's magma and there's no explanation how.

Also what happens when you set rubber on fire? Doesn't it melt?

So far he has used Red Hawk against Hodi Jones and I believe against Caesar Clown.

As for how it's done I'm absolutely certain there are different elements of Armament Haki. The most common one being the Hardening Element. Red Hawk is probably just Fire Element Armament Haki. That would also explain how Kin'emon is able to use fire swordsmanship.

As for the Thor attack, yes when he used Gigant Thor Axe against Shiki in Strong World, he just got the lighting from the sky when it struck his raised leg. But when he used Thor Elephant Gun in Dressrosa against Don Chinjao, there was no lightning in the sky until he actually generated it from his own attack. So that must have been Lightning Element Armament Haki.

As for Sanji, before the time skip, he set his leg on fire with the extreme friction caused by spinning really fast. But after the time skip, he has been shown to be able to do this without spinning at all. So that is probably also Fire Element Armament Haki.
Sep 1, 2014 4:38 AM

Jun 2010
Humza_96 said:
tittycakesXD said:

I think the Thor electricity one was because of the weather. He lifted his leg into the clouds when there was lightning, so that's sort of explained.

As for Red Hawk I have no idea how that's explained. But Sanji does the same thing, how the fk does Sanji set his leg on fire? It looks as hot as Akainu's magma and there's no explanation how.

The Thor move I'm talking about is when he used Elephant Gun on Chinja in c719. As for Sanji, I believe the explanation was his spin causes enough friction to heat up his leg and as stupid sounding as it is, I can accept that since it is a shonen and as flimsy an explanation, it is still an explanation. But for Luffy there is no explanation for the fire or electricity, it just kinda shows up all of a sudden but Luffy could've easily used something else like grizzly magnum or w/e. I suspect it might be a high level form of haki or maybe personal haki style or something to that end but so far no explanation from oda though.
Sep 1, 2014 5:49 AM

Jun 2010
Humza_96 said:
tittycakesXD said:

The Thor move I'm talking about is when he used Elephant Gun on Chinja in c719. As for Sanji, I believe the explanation was his spin causes enough friction to heat up his leg and as stupid sounding as it is, I can accept that since it is a shonen and as flimsy an explanation, it is still an explanation. But for Luffy there is no explanation for the fire or electricity, it just kinda shows up all of a sudden but Luffy could've easily used something else like grizzly magnum or w/e. I suspect it might be a high level form of haki or maybe personal haki style or something to that end but so far no explanation from oda though.

I don't think that the lightning in the Don Chinjao fight was produced by Luffy. I just watched it again and it seems to only appear when Luffy and Din Chinjao are about to make contact. I think that the electricity is meant to be the effect of when 2 Conqueror's Haki users fight against each other. So I don't think Luffy can produce electricity.

Also if Sanji can produce fire by friction I'm pretty sure that's what Luffy did with Red Hawk. Because when he pulls his arm back he twists it, which is similar to the way Sanji spins and produces his Diablo leg.

Pretty sure the manga had electricity at impact as well but it just seems too weird of a coincidence for the move to have Thor in it when Thor's hammer is obviously associated with thunder, electricity, etc. As for Red Hawk, twisting his arm to produce enough friction sounds a bit too far-fetched to me especially to generate that level of friction. Of course Sanji doesn't even spin anymore to activate Diable Jambe post skip so I can't exactly say with 100% certainty that you're wrong.
Sep 1, 2014 7:58 PM

Apr 2014
Red Hawk can only be done in Gear Second and it manipulating the friction caused by his punching speed, he did draw his hand as long as he can and pull it with amazing speed that causing the friction with the air to make some temporary fire.
it's the same thing like Gai did with Asa Kujaku.
this is anime-wise explanation not some scientific one coz there's no way people can burn his hand just using friction.

Humza_96 said:

he did cover his hand with BH so it's probably alright.
tr1ckst3rSep 1, 2014 8:01 PM
Sep 2, 2014 4:09 AM

May 2012
I also believe it's sort of the same with Sanji's Diable Jambe. But in Luffy's case, it's like a rocket. (Or when the spaceship is landing on earth, like I saw in Gravity or Uchuu Kyoudai) Since he used his Armament Haki, his hand turned into metal and then traveled very fast for a very short period of time, causing the metal to be heated enough to make fire...

I'M NOT SURE THOUGH, SORRY I'M NO GOOD IN PHYSICS AND THIS KIND OF STUFF :))))))))))
Sep 12, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2012
I cant remember the specifics cause I read it about two years but it has something to do with vulcanization.
Sep 13, 2014 12:47 AM

May 2012
Sol_Ou said:
I cant remember the specifics cause I read it about two years but it has something to do with vulcanization.

Oh. Thank you! :)
Sep 13, 2014 6:06 PM

Jun 2010
Sol_Ou said:

Actually vulcanization has probably nothing to do with this stuff unless Oda says so. People assumed Luffy hardened through armament haki+vulcanization(chemical process for hardening rubbers or something to that extent) but really later we see it's just a property of armament haki(I think we saw smoker and vergo use it on Punk Hazard).
Sep 14, 2014 4:52 PM

Jun 2013
I think Red Hawk shares the same concept with Gomu Gomu no Cannon

In the special, before Luffy uses his Red Hawk, he initiated a Gatling Gun beforehand. So I came to a conclusion that Gatling is to heat his hands via highspeed movement in the air (friction); he's a rubber and Haki gives him a metal coating or something, after all.

It's just like Cannon. If he use Gomu Gomu no Bazooka after a Gatling, it is called Cannon. So yeah, I think it's that.
Sep 14, 2014 4:58 PM
Jul 2018
I believe it is actually a variation of Jet Bullet which is one of his fastest attacks. Gear second + Haki turns his arm into vulcanized rubber then the speed of Jet Bullet causes enough friction and ignites it. At least that's the best explanation I've read.
Jan 19, 2016 4:55 PM
Jan 2016
I think that Luffy did Haki and he did a super fast punch that it lit on fire.
Sep 4, 2016 1:16 PM
Sep 2016
the second gear burned the arnament haki sooo much making fire guys think
Oct 2, 2016 1:43 AM
Oct 2016
In the war of the best Ace dies on Luffys shoulder and Aces blood drips on his right hand only..I think he got it from Ace and blood contains devil fruit power so it may have been passed on to Luffy a bit of the mera mera fruit. I think black beard drinks blood to gain power of 2 devil fruits just a theory.He gets the red hawk while fighting brindi world in 3d2y movie

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece 3D2Y: Ace no shi wo Koete! Luffy Nakama Tono Chikai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

slasher000 - Aug 31, 2014

110 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 26, 2023 3:37 PM

» Ending song

chris5462 - Aug 31, 2014

5 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 19, 2015 12:08 PM

» Promo

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2014

10 by DarkAngelz »»
Aug 29, 2014 10:44 PM

» 3 New TV Spots Streamed

Humstolfoza - Aug 26, 2014

0 by Humstolfoza »»
Aug 26, 2014 7:06 AM

» Trailer #3

ainky - Aug 17, 2014

7 by xfero »»
Aug 20, 2014 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.