Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2023 3:38 AM
Dec 2022
I finished the series and end of Evangelion movie and I still don't understand shit, or well, only a fraction of it. Also what was that ending? Did everyone die at the end except Shinji and Asuka? Why was he trying to kill her? Will they have to repopulate earth now?

All I got by completing this series were questions...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2023 3:45 AM
Aug 2015
congratulations now your the same as all of us that watched this since the 90's
Aug 19, 2023 3:50 AM

Jan 2013
I had the same reaction. Had to google everything I was so lost.
Aug 19, 2023 3:51 AM
Jun 2022
Watch "evangelion explained" in youtube or something"
Aug 19, 2023 3:52 AM
Jun 2021
i recommend you to watch the curse of evangelion
https://youtu.be/rHIvs0Q-uKI
Aug 19, 2023 3:55 AM

May 2022
i watched it ages ago.... have red a total of 27 essays and thesis of 9000 words EACH explaining the moral , philosophical and geopoltical concepts of this story.....and to this date I m still like....:

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK DID I WATCH?
Aug 19, 2023 4:02 AM
Sep 2022
"Just don't think about it" - ©Gigguk
Aug 19, 2023 4:12 AM
Feb 2013
That is what bad writing is. Leaving a space for viewer is a good thing but to not explain a shit is just bad.
Aug 19, 2023 4:38 AM

Dec 2021
You don't UNDERSTAND Eva, You FEEL eva
Aug 19, 2023 4:42 AM
Feb 2021
Akilis93 said:
That is what bad writing is. Leaving a space for viewer is a good thing but to not explain a shit is just bad.

Nope, every answer is implicit in the story, you just have to use you brain to link the dots yourself. But seeing how few people actually understand Eva, it’s easy too understand how dumb people have become, if they are not spoonfed every single bit of useless explanation they don’t understand, too focused on flashy fights without weight whatsoever
Aug 19, 2023 4:51 AM
Apr 2017
Aug 19, 2023 5:00 AM
Nov 2022
Watch the 4 Movies of Evangelion.
Aug 19, 2023 5:41 AM
Dec 2020
Eva is an Experience,
even if you don't understand what is the answer to those questions, you can still feel the answer.
and lastly "just don't think about it"- Gigguk.
Aug 19, 2023 5:55 AM

Jun 2023
Rishon007 said:
You don't UNDERSTAND Eva, You FEEL eva

This right here^ explains Eva in a single sentence

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Aug 19, 2023 5:56 AM

Feb 2019
Akilis93 said:
First of all, "Show, dont tell" is real narrative technique that many directors use in their works so you're argument is flawed. Second, not everyone will understand everything. Some shows are specifically tailored for a specific audience. You need to be in a certain mood/mindset when consuming shows like Eva. It's very situation heavy since it purely works on emotion. Anno created Evangelion at his most vulnerable, depressed state and it shows in his work. The show oozes with despair, loneliness, and depression & that clicks with some people. Evangelion has neither good writing nor bad writing. That's what makes both pretentious and genius at the same time. Its how you perceive it in the end. Whether you think its garage or a masterpiece doesnt matter. Its a work of art in the end and that is what art is about.
-Kugeki-Aug 19, 2023 6:02 AM
Aug 19, 2023 6:00 AM
Feb 2013
TheRealRouges said:
Akilis93 said:

Nope, every answer is implicit in the story, you just have to use you brain to link the dots yourself. But seeing how few people actually understand Eva, it’s easy too understand how dumb people have become, if they are not spoonfed every single bit of useless explanation they don’t understand, too focused on flashy fights without weight whatsoever

yeah yeah, been there. thinking u the chosen one to understand everything, not like the rest of the world. keep telling it to yourself
Aug 19, 2023 6:02 AM
Feb 2013
KUGEKI-KEN said:
Akilis93 said:
First of all, "Show, dont tell" is real narrative technique that many directors use in their works so you're argument is flawed. Second, not everyone will understand everything. Some shows are specifically tailored for a specific audience. You need to be in a certain mood/mindset when consuming shows like Eva. It's very situation heavy since it purely works on emotion. Anno created Evangelion at his most vulnerable, depressed state and it shows in his work. The show oozes with despair, loneliness, and depression & that clicks with some people. Evangelion has neither good writing nor bad writing. That's what makes both pretentious and genius at the same time. Its how you perceive it in the end. Whether you think its garage or a masterpiece doesnt matter. Its a work of art in the end and that is what art is about.

whether you think it's art or not is irrelevant. many ppl think it is just bad show. deal with it
Aug 19, 2023 6:04 AM

Feb 2019
Akilis93 said:
KUGEKI-KEN said:

whether you think it's art or not is irrelevant. many ppl think it is just bad show. deal with it
Buddy it is art. All animation is art. And a matter of fact many people consider this a good show. Cry about it.
Aug 19, 2023 6:06 AM
Feb 2013
KUGEKI-KEN said:
Akilis93 said:

Buddy it is art. All animation is art. And a matter of fact many people consider this a good show. Cry about it.

I know they consider it a good show. different ppls different tastes. it doesnt hurt me they think its good but apparently it hurts you to see some ppl consider it bad. see ya
Aug 19, 2023 6:10 AM

Feb 2019
Akilis93 said:
KUGEKI-KEN said:

I know they consider it a good show. different ppls different tastes. it doesnt hurt me they think its good  but apparently it hurts you to see some ppl consider it bad. 
That's what I said in my previous reply, but it's good to see we're on the same page here. I personally dont consider Evangelion to be the best written show even though it's one of my Favorites. I think its overhyped and over analyzed by many. what makes this show great is the presentation & the raw emotion of the characters. But in the end different strokes for different folks.
Aug 19, 2023 6:27 AM
Apr 2022
Congratulations
Aug 19, 2023 6:36 AM
Aug 2023
if you are confused it gets even better after doing more research and also on the hedgehog thing (I forgot the exact name) anyways have a nice day!
Aug 19, 2023 6:49 AM
Jan 2023
Thisas said:
Congratulations

Congratulations
Aug 19, 2023 7:13 AM
Jun 2022
Same I also thought what happens here when I saw it
Aug 19, 2023 7:26 AM

Dec 2021
Imagine having Attack on Trash, Dirt Note, Code GeAss or any of the Shit 3 in your favorites and calling EVA as confusing garbage
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 19, 2023 7:39 AM
Jul 2020
Evangelion is a story about characters.

The plot itself doesn’t matter and neither is it actually particularly great.

And that’s ironically precisely why the show became such a timeless classic.
Aug 19, 2023 7:49 AM
Jun 2021
welcome to party that's almost everyone reaction after finishing evangelion
Aug 19, 2023 7:59 AM
Aug 2015
now watch the 4 movies that retells the story
Aug 19, 2023 8:22 AM

Aug 2020
People will tell you to read and watch explanations which I did do and do kinda understand now, but a series shouldn’t require you to do that, it should explain it itself instead of relying on others to write articles and explain it to us. Some people even say you aren’t supposed to understand it which if that was the case then it would always be unsatisfying. I do like eva btw.
Sonnyman45Aug 19, 2023 8:28 AM
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more Dekugo😭
Aug 19, 2023 9:49 AM

Mar 2023
a whole rollercoaster right there
Aug 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Jan 2021
Just watch the anime again, EVA is really simple and the fact so many people get confused by it make me question if they paid attention, all you need is explained in the series.
Aug 19, 2023 10:01 AM
Jun 2023
so what happened at the eoe was I think humanity got a second chance because shinji chose to and if he didn't then that would have ended humanity because he had to make a choice also he learned to love him self at the end to I think
Aug 19, 2023 10:15 AM

Jul 2016
It's been ages since I last re-watched Eva so let's see:

MOON_SENSEI said:
Also what was that ending? Did everyone die at the end except Shinji and Asuka?
Not really. Shinji and Asuka were the first ones to return from the LCL Sea since they both rejected the Human Instrumentalization Project. Other people who also rejected the project will eventually return as well.

MOON_SENSEI said:
Why was he trying to kill her?
I guess Shinji wasn't sure whether he actually returned from the LCL or not and shock made him want to test if the Asuka next to him was real.

MOON_SENSEI said:
Will they have to repopulate earth now?
No because other people who also rejected the project will return just like Shinji and Asuka did. Though the symbolism of Shinji and Asuka as Adam and Eve was kinda cool.
Aug 19, 2023 11:06 AM
Jul 2020
MOON_SENSEI said:
I finished the series and end of Evangelion movie and I still don't understand shit, or well, only a fraction of it. Also what was that ending? Did everyone die at the end except Shinji and Asuka? Why was he trying to kill her? Will they have to repopulate earth now?

I just finished the series today with all the movies and remakes. i recomend waching the Death and Rebirth and the End of Evagelion. T.E.O.E is a rekap is an altarnate ending to the last to epissodes. If you wanna understand the end of the original series watch this vid it hellped me. (wach the vid where it explains first not the crunhyroll one) https://youtu.be/DuBOOcWIO2o https://youtu.be/ueUeMFbGq9o. After that wach the 4 rebuild movies and you might understand other than that you baiscali want to research.

(spoiler for movie ahead)

From what i found out people speculate that SHINJI at the end of the movie reset the timeline and thats where the rebuilt is. Idk for sure ethier for that you need to watch the cruncy roll vid. And pay attention to the fact that the manga was finnished after the anime was fully released.

Sorry if im wrong in any point. good luck
Aug 19, 2023 11:45 AM
Nov 2022
to understand the simbolism in neon Genesis evangelion I recommend this video https://www.youtube.com/live/sd24anCyM40?feature=share
Aug 19, 2023 12:04 PM
Apr 2022
nopsik said:
Watch "evangelion explained" in youtube or something"

evangelion and Kanye fan bro has perfect taste
Aug 19, 2023 12:58 PM
Feb 2021
Akilis93 said:
TheRealRouges said:

yeah yeah, been there. thinking u the chosen one to understand everything, not like the rest of the world. keep telling it to yourself

Bro, if you didn’t get it it’s not my fault, it’s actually pretty straightforward if you think about. I don’t think I’m a genius…
Aug 19, 2023 1:09 PM
Jun 2023
MOON_SENSEI said:

Tbh I had 4 wiki articles during the ending 2 episodes to understand anything. Don’t worry it takes a while to get
Aug 19, 2023 1:17 PM
Jan 2019
Yeah it's mad confusing. But I think the ending of the first season just made sense to me.
Aug 19, 2023 1:20 PM

Aug 2020
Faxtual_Ghoul said:
Imagine having Attack on Trash, Dirt Note, Code GeAss or any of the Shit 3 in your favorites and calling EVA as confusing garbage
Death Note > AoT > EVA.
Aug 19, 2023 1:27 PM
Sep 2014
That's not a very good anime to watch then, is it?? I'll say this. They'll tell you to watch the movie, they'll swear by some dumb YouTube Explanation cideo posted in 2008 or whatever YouTube infancy year it was. but what you just watched wasn't even good enough to warrant that. Nothing should require MORE viewing post show to understand. Why should you lower yourself even MORE to go and watch a movie for something you prob dont care enough about?? All the characters sucked, the story blows. Why even bother further?? You got it out the way, congrats. Unfortunately, so did I. Just add it to the list and move on like the rest of us. I think you should check out Gurren Lagann. Its made by the same studio, has a main character with the same issues whose actually worth investing your time into and it just honestly does that story much better. Its like they realized they let a severely depressed guy wander around an animation studio for a few months in the 90s and wanted to fix it lol it does what Neon Genesis Evangelion fails to do, and thats deliver. Don't watch the movie. Move onto literally something better.
Aug 19, 2023 1:38 PM
Sep 2022
of the two routes that the original series has you have the recap with the congratulations scene (that's Shinji being added to instrumentality) and then you have him saying screw that and you get him chocking asuka. watch the rebuilds will give more context (watch closely when ever you see Shinji's boyfriend)
Aug 19, 2023 3:47 PM
Apr 2020
abstract disguised as deep
Aug 19, 2023 5:11 PM

Dec 2021
TRC_Randy said:
Faxtual_Ghoul said:
Death Note > AoT > EVA.
Bro has EVA in his Top 20 and Monster in his Top 10 lol
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 19, 2023 6:20 PM
May 2022
I just want to come off by saying this; I am horribly afraid of Evangelion.
Ridiculous as it sounds, maybe laughable even. But it's true. I have animephobia.
And with very good reason.
If you want to know the full story, please read: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12E5xdOOtUa4Nlh1OizVapCHn6St9olV0PUi1LV6Dm_U/edit?usp=sharing
Would someone be willing to help me overcome my fear of anime?
Aug 19, 2023 8:46 PM
Jun 2023
Akilis93 said:

No this is when there is just not enough time or money to develop the series like it was originally planned

ALSO, the core focus of the story is this whole thing with the themes, mental health etc, not exactly what is actually going on.
I believe this can also be seen as being put in the shoes of Shinji who knows almost nothing about what hapens around him.
Aug 19, 2023 8:48 PM
Jun 2023
Now you got the rebuilds series🙂
Aug 19, 2023 9:12 PM
May 2022
The ending explicitly states that Shinji and Asuka aren’t the only surviving ones, they are just the ones that most strongly want to be an individual again and the hurting that comes with it, and therefore they are the first to return from the state of disindividuation induced by the completion of the Human Instrumentality. This is very explicitly stated.

Also I think that the idea that you just have to feel EVA, not understand it is really dumb. If you connect with it in a purely emotional level, I think that’s valid, but to say that it isn’t to be understood, when it is so clear and almost didactic is a really bad take imo
Aug 19, 2023 9:15 PM
May 2022
FeelsLikeDboss said:
That's not a very good anime to watch then, is it?? I'll say this. They'll tell you to watch the movie, they'll swear by some dumb YouTube Explanation cideo posted in 2008 or whatever YouTube infancy year it was. but what you just watched wasn't even good enough to warrant that. Nothing should require MORE viewing post show to understand. Why should you lower yourself even MORE to go and watch a movie for something you prob dont care enough about?? All the characters sucked, the story blows. Why even bother further?? You got it out the way, congrats. Unfortunately, so did I. Just add it to the list and move on like the rest of us. I think you should check out Gurren Lagann. Its made by the same studio, has a main character with the same issues whose actually worth investing your time into and it just honestly does that story much better. Its like they realized they let a severely depressed guy wander around an animation studio for a few months in the 90s and wanted to fix it lol it does what Neon Genesis Evangelion fails to do, and thats deliver. Don't watch the movie. Move onto literally something better.

Gurren Lagan is absolutely stupid and poorly written action garbage with the most high school existentialist crap added on top. Evangelion is not only a work of art, but a milestone on human art that reflects and rereads almost the entire history of art and philosophy. What drugs are you even on?
Aug 19, 2023 9:44 PM
May 2020
You’re making a common mistake here. Evangelion’s plot is not coherent as originally presented, and that’s fine.

Evangelion is not great because of the literal events of its plot, though it’s probably possible to piece together a timeline.

People love Evangelion because of its themes and characters, which are distinct and memorable in part because of the plot breaking down in coherence over its run.

There are some things that are clear. For example, that human instrumentality project aims to merge all of humanity into a single consciousness. How all of it ties together isn’t though, at least on first viewing.

Plenty of great films have narratives as muddy as Evangelion, it’s not exceptional in that. Though I guess it might be among TV anime.
onespankmanAug 19, 2023 9:51 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

58 by 3looming »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

266 by goofyahhgoofy »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

227 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 1:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.