Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2022 1:06 AM

Jul 2021
I've watched my fair share of so called pretentious anime like monogatari, evangelion,FLCL
durarara, ghost in a shell they are confusing and shoot around the target and don't usually get straight to the point, but this anime there was no target to shoot
😭
I need someone to explain this anime to me in layman's term, i'm beggin i tried reading the reviews and it was even more pretentious than the anime itself
No honestly read those reviews who talks like that actually

I feel so lost and uneducated after this anime, 😂😂
Cestlavie_Jun 19, 2022 1:10 AM
Jun 19, 2022 1:41 AM

Jan 2021
Hey! Don’t worry about it. Serial Experiments Lain is incredibly complex and definitely hard to understand. When I first finished it, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. Then as the months went by I thought about it more and more and I found that I liked it more and more. I drew my own meanings and interpretations from this anime and found that ultimately it had a ton of meaning to me and that looking back on it, it was really well written and intriguing.

Lain is incredibly interesting in it’s theming as it tries to represent a ton of different things. The big one that sticks out to me is the dangers of having an online persona. If you put so much time being someone else on the internet is the internet version of you more real than the real you? Lain represents this through the two different Lains. The “real” and the “fake” one taking over.

You also need to keep in mind that Serial Experiments Lain was doing all of this before things like that really existed. In a way this show aged incredibly well with how it predicted the modern internet, with online chat rooms, online classes, online games, ways to connect with people across the world and talk to them face to face. I mean the internet wasn’t even called the “internet” then, it was the World Wide Web (hence the “wired” being the name they came up with).

All of this technology comes together to really push this theme of disassociating yourself online and how that can dangerously affect you and the people around you. Is your online persona, the persona that you cut off and only let peruse anonymously the real you, or is the you that friends and family see more real? Is there even a “real” and “fake” you or are they just part of a far more complex person? This show tries to answer these questions through Lains struggle with the wired.

At least that’s what I think of after months of reading things and coming up with my own thoughts about the show. Serial Experiments Lain is the kind of show that invites you to interpret it in the way that is most meaningful to you, and maybe you share in the way I interpreted it, or perhaps you needs months like I did to really think it through and come up with your own conclusions.

Regardless of what you think of the show and the themes I hope this response somewhat helped you understand this show. :)
Jun 19, 2022 1:51 AM

Jul 2021
MrRandomGUYS said:
Hey! Don’t worry about it. Serial Experiments Lain is incredibly complex and definitely hard to understand. When I first finished it, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. Then as the months went by I thought about it more and more and I found that I liked it more and more. I drew my own meanings and interpretations from this anime and found that ultimately it had a ton of meaning to me and that looking back on it, it was really well written and intriguing.

Lain is incredibly interesting in it’s theming as it tries to represent a ton of different things. The big one that sticks out to me is the dangers of having an online persona. If you put so much time being someone else on the internet is the internet version of you more real than the real you? Lain represents this through the two different Lains. The “real” and the “fake” one taking over.

You also need to keep in mind that Serial Experiments Lain was doing all of this before things like that really existed. In a way this show aged incredibly well with how it predicted the modern internet, with online chat rooms, online classes, online games, ways to connect with people across the world and talk to them face to face. I mean the internet wasn’t even called the “internet” then, it was the World Wide Web (hence the “wired” being the name they came up with).

All of this technology comes together to really push this theme of disassociating yourself online and how that can dangerously affect you and the people around you. Is your online persona, the persona that you cut off and only let peruse anonymously the real you, or is the you that friends and family see more real? Is there even a “real” and “fake” you or are they just part of a far more complex person? This show tries to answer these questions through Lains struggle with the wired.

At least that’s what I think of after months of reading things and coming up with my own thoughts about the show. Serial Experiments Lain is the kind of show that invites you to interpret it in the way that is most meaningful to you, and maybe you share in the way I interpreted it, or perhaps you needs months like I did to really think it through and come up with your own conclusions.

Regardless of what you think of the show and the themes I hope this response somewhat helped you understand this show. :)

yh thanks I get the themes it gets across more now but now I want to know about the plot
like what was happening in those first 7 episodes
Jun 19, 2022 1:57 AM

Jan 2021
Cestlavie_ said:

yh thanks I get the themes it gets across more now but now I want to know about the plot
like what was happening in those first 7 episodes

Hahahahahahaha. Don’t even get me started on the plot. I think Lain is one of those shows that is much better if you look at it as an art piece trying to share a message and represent some themes rather than a plot driven show. If you zoom out and look at the plot of Lain it’s incredibly incoherent. There are a ton of plot threads that come out of and go nowhere and I feel this is purposely done to further the themes and narrative. View it more as a surreal allegory rather then a cohesive story, at least that’s my take on it. If someone else can explain the entire story of Lain I would love to hear it.
Jun 19, 2022 2:45 AM
Dec 2021
yeah thats understandable, I almost dropped it for that reason but once I finished it it left me with a satisfying conclusion and I've developed my own interpretation (with the help of some analysis videos) and its become one of my favorites. I usually don't recommend this anime to anyone though since I feel like it isn't an anime that a lot people will really like for how weird it is
Jun 19, 2022 3:54 AM
Nov 2021
here's serial experiments lain explained in 2 minutes
https://youtu.be/ue2cNfUw1iA
But hold up? Durarara was confusing?
Jun 19, 2022 3:56 AM

Jul 2021
SawsyMikey said:

Well the stand alone episodes until they finally connect everything at the end
Jun 19, 2022 3:58 AM
Nov 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
SawsyMikey said:

Well the stand alone episodes until they finally connect everything at the end

oh I see. I get ya
almost when you're done with the vid share ur thoughts xd
Jun 19, 2022 5:49 AM
Apr 2020
https://youtu.be/iHZi7Y81G58
https://youtu.be/1lEWn1uFh3U

This is the best explanation available online hands down
You will appreciate this show way more after watching it
It's long but totally worth it
Jun 19, 2022 5:57 AM
Apr 2020
i dont blame you at all for not understanding. its definitely something that takes time for viewers to make sense of. im too lazy to explain everything, though, so here's a quick rundown.

to my own knowledge (please someone correct me if i say something wrong) lain is a manifestation of the earths consciousness that was created in order to get people to ditch their bodies and evolve past their physical forms.

next, a key theme of the series, to put it as simply as possible, is the contrast between your online self + real self and how things done on the internet turn into reality. an example of this could be the alien in the red and green sweater. in other, fancier words, it explores the idea that existence is defined by others perception of it.

i guess its also important to understand the difference between the three lain's. yes, theres three. we have:
- lain iwakura (just regular ol' "wtf is happening to me" lain)
- lain of the wired (pretty much her badass internet persona)
- evil/anti lain (wants the worst for lain e.g. spreading the rumour about alice and the teacher)
knowing this difference should help you make sense of some of the events because at the end of the day, they are all still lain so it can get confusing.

theres is so much more but these are some points that should help you a bit. i recommend looking into eiri's character, though. you can find heaps of video essays explaining everything, just type "lain explanation" or smth onto youtube idk.

the reason it is so highly regarded is because it was created in a time where the internet didnt even exist yet, so the fact it predicted topics that still hold up to this day is pretty awesome. definitely worth looking into or rewatching. hopefully this helped :))
Jun 19, 2022 2:42 PM
May 2021
I feel like I understood most of the show, but honestly I've no clue exactly how much I missed. I do have one question that I need answered though: What the fuck was up with the aliens? Is this relevant to the plot or the theme or anything? Why does the alien just show up but not do anything? Is it even real? And why does it not show up again if it's supposed to be important?
Jun 19, 2022 7:29 PM
Dec 2021
LuckyBastrd said:
I feel like I understood most of the show, but honestly I've no clue exactly how much I missed. I do have one question that I need answered though: What the fuck was up with the aliens? Is this relevant to the plot or the theme or anything? Why does the alien just show up but not do anything? Is it even real? And why does it not show up again if it's supposed to be important?

From what I understood, the aliens in the red and green sweaters were like myths spread between people, which due to the shared consciousness of the world, allowed them to manifest physically. Think of them like a crazy rumour started by someone and then gullible people cause it to become a reality due to the way the world works in SEL. Again, only my personal interpretation :]
Jun 19, 2022 9:36 PM
Apr 2016
To be honest I struggled with lain at the start because se it was eerie.. The dead silentness.. The weird noises and ahh.. However from episodes 4 to the end I've watched serial experiments lain at 1.25x - 1.5x speed at it definitely made the anime more enjoyable for me anyways 😅😂

P.S this was during April 2022 but thanks to the discussion I've starting to understand the concepts, meaning and idealogy behind all the confusion that I originally had with lain..

It isss what is isss - Mo J.
Jun 25, 2022 10:24 PM

Mar 2020
Why are you mentioning mono durarara and GitS mate,They're nowhere near confusing
Jun 25, 2022 10:34 PM

Jul 2021
_Ace-kun_ said:
Why are you mentioning mono durarara and GitS mate,They're nowhere near confusing

Well Yh but those are the most confusing shows of my list i've watched so
just for comparison but u get the point
Jun 25, 2022 10:40 PM

Mar 2020
Yea I got the point but mono and durarara is just confusing because of their chronology they're not complex like lain
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 AM

Mar 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
they are confusing and shoot around the target and don't usually get straight to the point

uhm, evangelion gets straight to the point right away tho? shinji is depressed and wants everyone to die if he cant be loved and triggers the 3rd impact. not pretentious, its far from that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

125 by bud627 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

376 by ryzxgum »»
Yesterday, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Jun 13, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

175 by Ch0coPudding »»
Jun 9, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.